Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Meenah is the best character :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Magic 8 Bomb
Meenah is the best character

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

Color Printer posted:

Let the speculation begin. :unsmigghh:

It's official! Pre-scratch Darkleer has a ponytail. That makes two sagittarius trolls with bad hair.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Also, we can now know for sure that pre-scratch Sufferer has candy red blood, not lime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Color Printer posted:

Error: they have dead eyes here when they're not dead.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Color Printer posted:

drat, Pre-Scratch Gamzee, that's quite the hairdo. Also, red blood confirmed for Pre-Scratch Nubbyshouts (e: beaten!).

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Color Printer posted:

Wow, that is some hair on pre-scratch Highblood there.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm pretty sure Psiionic has a bowl cut which means he has the worst hair.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Doug Rattman posted:

It's official! Pre-scratch Darkleer has a ponytail. That makes two sagittarius trolls with rad hair.

Fixed.

Also, Meenah really is one of the best trolls now. Can you imagine how many paragraphs Aranea would have subjected us to just to tell us the same thing?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Summoner has hair identical to Rufio. Gives Tavros' neuroses a new light! Also, it might be perspective but Disciple looks really tiny.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, Meenah's pretty great right now.

Definitely makes up for Feferi being so boring.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
And yet there's something Meenah's not telling

Serket posted:

ARANEA: I know it's only 8een minutes since you died, and you pro8a8ly aren't thrilled to see me for any num8er of reasons.
ARANEA: 8ut for me it has 8een millenia! I have 8een waiting a long time to see you again, and orient you to the afterlife.
What sort of silliness is at work if she blew them all up at once, unless for billions of years she floated around in a bubble not realizing she was dead (pretty sure this isn't the case!)

edit: Oooh, and Aradia's ancestor kept her hair!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kvx687 posted:

Also, it might be perspective but Disciple looks really tiny.

It's just because her hair is eating her silhouette. Contrast her apparent height to Darkleer, who is almost identical in size on the screen but looks way taller because his silhouette is not obscured at all by his slicked-back hair.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Color Printer posted:

Bam. it's pretty easy really. We've seen all the ancestors as adults, after all.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bell_ posted:

And yet there's something Meenah's not telling

What sort of silliness is at work if she blew them all up at once, unless for billions of years she floated around in a bubble not realizing she was dead (pretty sure this isn't the case!)

Nah, time in the Furthest Ring is all hosed, remember? It's how Dave and Rose could end up creating the Green Sun, something that had always existed from their perspective, and then end up emerging from it as God Tiers.

Same thing here, Meenah just ended up going straight from dead to party-time, while Aranea took the long way. It might be based on some will of the Horrorterrors I guess, but who knows really.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

^ I think Bell_ meant that Meenah isn't telling us why Aranea assumes Meenah would be unhappy to see her. Presumably Aranea had some key part to play in the whole 'everyone sucks but Meenah' thing?

Interesting things to me:
- Equius ancestor has an unbroken horn.
- If that beachball-sized bomb/eight-ball is Meenah's weaponkind, then the Condesce has even more in common with the Black Queen than we thought.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Bobulus posted:

- Equius ancestor has an unbroken horn.

Darkleer had unbroken horns. Also, even if his horn had broken before, horns grow back according to Equius.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Interesting that right until the end, although they sucked and lost none of the pre-scratch trolls died completely. And also interesting that Meenah killing them all counted as either heroic or just for their god tier party members, of which we know Aranea was one.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Alternative theory: Meenah wasn't the one who killed the trolls, Aranea was. Perhaps Meenah is taking responsibility for it because she's Aranea's friend (or any number of other reasons).

In any case, I'm going to agree that there's probably more going on here than is being said.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I just knew Hussie wouldn't be able to resist introducing us to a whole new slate of characters. It seemed at first like maybe only Meenah and Aranea would matter from the pre-scratch session, but now we've got sprites for the rest, and it's only a matter of time before we end up seeing those sprites and then hearing about how each of them was different from later iterations and descendants.

Homestuck's always got to have some sort of introductions on the horizon ready to drip down to us. A big part of the comic has been waiting for everyone to be introduced, all the pieces to be finally lined up, so we can start watching the dominoes fall and the story unfold to its conclusion, but scenes like this make it feel like we could just keep going forever.

Four kids and four reset kids, twelve trolls and twelve reset trolls, we're only sixteen characters short of the mythic session which supposedly created the trolls' universe. I don't know, maybe shadow-dimension doppelgangers for the whole cast.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheDemon posted:

god tier party members, of which we know Aranea was one.

We do? Since when?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Interesting that right until the end, although they sucked and lost none of the pre-scratch trolls died completely. And also interesting that Meenah killing them all counted as either heroic or just for their god tier party members, of which we know Aranea was one.

I don't have any proof for this, but now that I think about it, Meenah could have killed them all right before the scratch eliminated their bodies. They can't revive if they have no body to go back to, and John showed that revival wasn't instantaneous.

Edit:

fatherdog posted:

We do? Since when?

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006676

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Boneless Jogger posted:

I don't have any proof for this, but now that I think about it, Meenah could have killed them all right before the scratch eliminated their bodies. They can't revive if they have no body to go back to, and John showed that revival wasn't instantaneous.

You know, if Scratches can destroy the bodies of even unkillable (except under certain conditions) godtiers, it strikes me that it would be a great way to deal with an "unkillable" enemy.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Bobulus posted:

You know, if Scratches can destroy the bodies of even unkillable (except under certain conditions) godtiers, it strikes me that it would be a great way to deal with an "unkillable" enemy.

Could initiating a scratch be considered a heroic death?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing about a scratch isn't that it kills you. It just kind of causes that session to cease to exist, while simultaneously rejiggering the starting conditions to create a new one. People caught in a scratch don't die. They just get... overwritten, I guess :smith:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bobulus posted:

poo poo. Aradia explained it to us back inna day, even. Admittedly she was talking about the kids, buuuut...

0f c0urse they are the s0luti0n
but they are als0 the pr0blem
every effect is als0 its 0wn cause

To create English you scratch a session, to destroy English you scratch a session. Good old-fashioned loop-closing.

It works.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Goddamn I love Meenah's version of what happened. No bullshit, just "welp, we were hosed so I blew us all up with The Tumor because the horrorterrors said we could still live on as ghosts even if we scratched."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

closeted republican posted:

Goddamn I love Meenah's version of what happened. No bullshit, just "welp, we were hosed so I blew us all up with The Tumor because the horrorterrors said we could still live on as ghosts even if we scratched."

I think the monsters referenced were the Denizens instead of the Horrorterrors.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tollymain posted:

The thing about a scratch isn't that it kills you. It just kind of causes that session to cease to exist, while simultaneously rejiggering the starting conditions to create a new one. People caught in a scratch don't die. They just get... overwritten, I guess :smith:

Eh, it seems like it actually physically destroys the session before restarting. Remember that after John and Jade broke through the fourth wall, the session appeared to fill with purifying flames.

PublicOpinion posted:

I think the monsters referenced were the Denizens instead of the Horrorterrors.

Could be either. Denizens give lots of game hints, that come with a price (and killing the whole party sure is a price), but Feferi was extra-good at talking to the Horrorterrors, so it's possible Meenah wasn't bad either.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

prescratch Disciple's feet

Make a heart

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobulus posted:

Eh, it seems like it actually physically destroys the session before restarting. Remember that after John and Jade broke through the fourth wall, the session appeared to fill with purifying flames.

I think that was just a metaphor, what with the tattered red curtains and the clock/orrery thingummy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm starting to wonder if the "joke" with Aranea is going to be that, while Vriska had her hand in every part of her and the kids' sessions, Aranea, due to how much she loves talking, ends up ignored and left out of every major decision in her session.

pandaK posted:

prescratch Disciple's feet

Make a heart

Kinda curious what her deal is going to be. She seems to still be kind of a cat-girl parody, but A1 trolls seem to be a lot more civilized, so I doubt she lived in a cave the way Nepeta did.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 31, 2012

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Bobulus posted:

Pretty sure that's just visual metaphor. Besides, they even said the scratch would release immense temporal energy - maybe that was his way of showing it. The end result is basically that they simply never exist. The universe is overwritten. They don't get ghosts, they don't get dream bubbles, they just get oblivion. Remember Beta Rose explaining what would happen to them if they rejoined the Alpha timeline, and her and Dave's methods of avoiding that?

My thinking is that, by dying before the scratch, the A1 trolls were able to get their consciousnesses into the loving, protecting tentacles of the horrorterrors, far from the coming oblivion. So I suppose from an outside observer, like from the A2 universe, they have simply always been dead. Just... these ghosts that appeared in space (but could never contact them, for some reason). They had no living bodies, thus no God Tiers. The only remains of their old lives, their old world and society, are their memories. They're ghosts in every possible sense.

My feeling is that they won't be able to have any direct influence on anything at all, and there'll be no way they can escape. Meenah's going to be pissed (and Vriska too, for that matter).

Dolash posted:

Homestuck's always got to have some sort of introductions on the horizon ready to drip down to us. A big part of the comic has been waiting for everyone to be introduced, all the pieces to be finally lined up, so we can start watching the dominoes fall and the story unfold to its conclusion, but scenes like this make it feel like we could just keep going forever.

Four kids and four reset kids, twelve trolls and twelve reset trolls, we're only sixteen characters short of the mythic session which supposedly created the trolls' universe. I don't know, maybe shadow-dimension doppelgangers for the whole cast.

Oh calm down. The thing people always seem to forget is that we end up falling in love with these new characters every time. I mean, look at Meenah. Chances are we'll just get to see what they look like, and learn a little about them, like the A2 Ancestors, without much more. People were whining when they were starting to be introduced, too. I imagine these A1 versions are going to serve the story as a sort of amalgamation of the A2 Ancestors' expository role and the Act 4/5.1 troll introductions, since Act 6 has basically been the entire comic repeated in abbreviated form. Hey we're in Act 6.3 now, aren't we? Wasn't Act 3 when the trolls first started appearing?

Anyways, they're all ghosts, and like I said they'll probably never be able to directly influence anything. And I'm pretty sure these will be the absolute last batch of new characters introduced, except maybe the exiles... Hey! Maybe we'll get new versions of AR and WV and everything, yet they're basically exactly the same, like Jack and DD. I also wonder if we'll end up with four or six "main" A1 trolls, only this time the roles will be reversed, and all the dead A2 trolls will get more representation in their A1 ancestors. That could be okay.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ErichZahn posted:

A forum acquaintance of mine did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEoSLybNB8c

I love this Karkat voice. It's not really typical but it's very funny.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I bet if Aranea told the story we'd know what the deal with the Magic 8-Tumor was. :colbert:

Theory: It's a bomb set to blow up on the scratching of two universes.

TheDemon posted:

Ok yeah when I read this I realised Hussie is going to be way way off in his estimate as to how long Act 6 is going to last.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Which one is pre-scratch Terezi?

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Which one is pre-scratch Terezi?

It's either the one directly about Karkat/what's his name or the Jade looking one on the other side, I think.

Kanaya and Terezi are the only two difficult to determine.

e: Based on the next panel, she's the one on the same side as Karkat. Kanaya is the one that looks like Jade.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

YF-23 posted:

I bet if Aranea told the story we'd know what the deal with the Magic 8-Tumor was. :colbert:

Theory: It's a bomb set to blow up on the scratching of two universes.
Interesting how it's much, much smaller than the B1 Tumor (which could also basically be described as a "Magic 8-Tumor", just a really big one with the display set to a timer).

As with all these things, can't help but wonder what the normal size for a Tumor is.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

As with all these things, can't help but wonder what the normal size for a Tumor is.
"Big enough to get the job done" would be my guess. In the kid's session, it needed to create a fairly massive object, so it was really big. In the pre-scratch troll session, it just needed to frag a dozen teenagers, so it was more portable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Saradiart posted:

It's either the one directly about Karkat/what's his name or the Jade looking one on the other side, I think.

Kanaya and Terezi are the only two difficult to determine.

e: Based on the next panel, she's the one on the same side as Karkat. Kanaya is the one that looks like Jade.

Nah, in the next panel the one with the Dolorosa's horns is behind Meenah. Also, if you compare the hair to this, I think it indicates that the Virgo troll is on the left. And that leaves the one who kinda looks like Jade as Redglare, which looks kinda like Terezi's hair only longer and again matches what we saw here.