Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Mean Bean posted:

I don't know about that paragard, I'm allergic to something in metal - maybe nickel? I can't wear a watch or most jewelry because it gives me a rash:( I want that Essure thing! Stupid Germany.

Essure has nickel, but there's also an alternative version that contains no metals, I think it's just plastic. But I've totally forgotten the name of it, and it might also only be available in the US right now.

e: found it http://www.adiana.com/info/what_is_adiana/about-adiana-permanent-contraception.html

there's a disclaimer on the site though, I guess it's no longer available?

e2: Here's a Q&A from the Essure site about Nickel content:

Q: I think I have a nickel allergy. Can I still get Essure?

A: The amount of nickel released every day by an Essure insert is very, very small—less than one-thousandth of the amount in the average daily food intake, according to the FDA. In the Essure clinical trials, no adverse reactions to nickel were reported. But if you have questions or concerns about nickel, talk with your doctor before scheduling your procedure.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Min_sora posted:

I understand that my cycle would become irregular, but is it possible that it's just going to bleed non-stop with no breaks? Because that's what scares me the most. I'm 2 weeks into a period and I can't take much more, it's so painful and horrible.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Once you start on the pills your period should become regulated, but because it takes three months to adjust to a pill it may take that long to become normal again, and there is no way to tell before you try it. The best thing you can do is either hold out until you can get your shot again, or ask to be put on different pills if it's really that bad.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie
Hey ladies.

Has anyone experienced a change in their, uh...BM's with paragard?

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008
People on here always quote the 99 or 99.5% perfect use with the pill, but when combined with pull-out, by how much does that improve? I know pre-cum contains sperm but I cant find any data online about Pill + Pullout. Logic tells me that having only pre-cum sperm rather than a full load would be a lot safer, but how much safer? It would be less safe than Pill + Condom + Pullout but more safe than Pill + Condom + Cum-inside I think.

Although she takes the pill reliably and I reliably pull out, we're both really paranoid!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If she takes the pill reliably, you don't need to pull out. You both need to relax, or else consider a kind of birth control without the opportunity for user error, like Mirena or Paragard or Implanon or Depo.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
Here's a resource that calculates effectiveness of combined birth control methods: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_s

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.
Someone tell me that I'm being silly.

I'm on the off week for the pill, and my period usually starts on a Thursday. I felt all the pre-period symptoms, cramps and lower back pains and then today it was WAY light. Like a couple of spots. Not even a real period. I haven't had sex since my last period so its not possible I'm preg, right? I don't think I need a test but then I also felt like my tummy was a bit bigger this morning. Maybe I'm just freaking out over something very silly.

I'm also very good about taking my pill, the same time every single morning.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Lanthanum posted:

I'm on the off week for the pill, and my period usually starts on a Thursday. I felt all the pre-period symptoms, cramps and lower back pains and then today it was WAY light. Like a couple of spots. Not even a real period. I haven't had sex since my last period so its not possible I'm preg, right? I don't think I need a test but then I also felt like my tummy was a bit bigger this morning. Maybe I'm just freaking out over something very silly.

You are almost certainly just fine, and weird changes in bleeding patterns happen pretty frequently with the pill (more often than pregnancies!).

You would most likely be at least 6-8 weeks along if you haven't had sex since your last period, in which case you'd most likely have more symptoms than just a little bloating. If you are worried enough about it, just go pick up a test. You can get one at the dollar store for a buck or at Walmart for less than that. You would be far enough along for a blazing positive by this point, so the brand won't matter much and it's cheap peace of mind if you need something to calm you down.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

When I was still on the pill, I had a few months like that here and there. You should definitely take a pregnancy test if you need it for your peace of mind, but a super light period like that is well within normal.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lanthanum posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my last period was like that. It didn't even start until Thursday (normally it comes around Tuesday) and after that it was really light. I think I pretty much sailed through the whole thing with pantiliners because anything more wasn't necessary. In fact it seems like every few months or so it gets a little lighter and shorter by a day or so.

And I know I'm not pregnant since I'd already had one period since the last time I had sex and took a test just to be sure since I felt kind of weird.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Wow people are paranoid. I've been using various types of BC for the past 14 years and I've never gone out and bought a pregnancy test. I've had to take a test at the doctors before they prescribed BC but that's it. One pill I was on pretty much stopped my periods and sometimes on other methods my period would be up to a week late. I didn't bother with doubling up on methods. I never worried about it or thought I might be pregnant.

I think you should do whatever it takes to make yourself feel better though. If that means taking a test every day then go for it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I mainly took the test because I got incredibly moody and was constantly nauseated right about the same time my period decided to change again, which kind of made me wonder. Although yes I am a bit paranoid about it too I guess.

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

Oh wow thats a great resource. Reckon it should be added to the OP its so handy. Plenty of stats and no bullshit! Thanks for that.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

THE_Chris posted:

Oh wow thats a great resource. Reckon it should be added to the OP its so handy. Plenty of stats and no bullshit! Thanks for that.

Added. You, learn to use apostrophes.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

The only issue that I have with this calculator is that (as mentioned on the webpage, to be fair) it's not based on any actual evidence, just statistical estimates which may or may not be true. As such, I don't feel that it adds much to the "2 is at least as good or theoretically better than 1," and may be misleading. An example of how this mathematical model fails: "Male Condoms + Spermicide = 99.64% effective with perfect use - 95.65% effective with typical use." Adding spermicide has in fact been shown not to make condoms more effective (and leads to unpleasant side-effects like vaginal irritation, increased risk of UTIs, and potentially increased transmission of STIs).

I think that achieving "perfect use" of one of the more effective BCs would trump any combination of 2 at "typical use".

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

THE_Chris posted:

I'd like to know how you incorrectly use an IUD. (99.9% effective with perfect use - 99.2% effective with typical use.) Is the difference in effective rate due to the IUD shifting, or coming out? I can live with 99.9% effective, but 99.2% isn't as cool with me.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

DRP Solved! posted:

The only issue that I have with this calculator is that (as mentioned on the webpage, to be fair) it's not based on any actual evidence, just statistical estimates which may or may not be true. As such, I don't feel that it adds much to the "2 is at least as good or theoretically better than 1," and may be misleading. An example of how this mathematical model fails: "Male Condoms + Spermicide = 99.64% effective with perfect use - 95.65% effective with typical use." Adding spermicide has in fact been shown not to make condoms more effective (and leads to unpleasant side-effects like vaginal irritation, increased risk of UTIs, and potentially increased transmission of STIs).

I think that achieving "perfect use" of one of the more effective BCs would trump any combination of 2 at "typical use".

Except that the problems with using "condoms + spermicide" are from condoms with spermicidal lube (which is not helpful and can be detrimental as you point out), which is a different thing altogether from using condoms and a separate spermicide. The problem with condoms with spermicidal lube in them is that there isn't enough to kill sperm, but there is enough to irritate the vaginal tissues. When you use a separate spermicide + condoms there is enough spermicide to actually do its job and kill the sperm, so you will get a benefit in terms of pregnancy prevention. Obviously you will still run into problems with UTI, STIs, and irritation, but they shouldn't be any worse than spermicide alone.

Honestly, the main thing that should jump out at you when you use those calculators, is that even under ideal circumstances when you double up on birth control you are most often adding a lot of hassle for not much benefit. You are better off going for a SINGLE form of birth control that is highly effective than using multiple less effective ones in nearly all cases.

jai Mundi posted:

I'd like to know how you incorrectly use an IUD. (99.9% effective with perfect use - 99.2% effective with typical use.) Is the difference in effective rate due to the IUD shifting, or coming out? I can live with 99.9% effective, but 99.2% isn't as cool with me.

From what I understand it's mostly from them coming out without people noticing or potentially people failing to get it replaced at the appropriate time. There is also a chance of it shifting and becoming less effective (which it harder for you to notice) but it's not very common and in most cases would still have signs (strings missing, pain, changes in bleeding pattern).

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

Except that the problems with using "condoms + spermicide" are from condoms with spermicidal lube (which is not helpful and can be detrimental as you point out), which is a different thing altogether from using condoms and a separate spermicide. The problem with condoms with spermicidal lube in them is that there isn't enough to kill sperm, but there is enough to irritate the vaginal tissues. When you use a separate spermicide + condoms there is enough spermicide to actually do its job and kill the sperm, so you will get a benefit in terms of pregnancy prevention. Obviously you will still run into problems with UTI, STIs, and irritation, but they shouldn't be any worse than spermicide alone.

Honestly, the main thing that should jump out at you when you use those calculators, is that even under ideal circumstances when you double up on birth control you are most often adding a lot of hassle for not much benefit. You are better off going for a SINGLE form of birth control that is highly effective than using multiple less effective ones in nearly all cases.

I think we're in agreement on all points. I was simply emphasizing the fact that these estimates are very misleading, especially if one compares the calculated effectiveness of combinations of less-than-optimally-effective forms of BC like "withdrawal+Plan B" or "spermicide+Plan B" to the highly-effective forms of BC like the IUD or Depo on their own.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ceridwen posted:

From what I understand it's mostly from them coming out without people noticing or potentially people failing to get it replaced at the appropriate time. There is also a chance of it shifting and becoming less effective (which it harder for you to notice) but it's not very common and in most cases would still have signs (strings missing, pain, changes in bleeding pattern).

They might also be factoring in things like ectopic pregnancies. IUDs (particularly the hormone-free ones like Paragard) don't necessarily always prevent ovulation so there is the very rare possibility of getting pregnant even with one in place properly.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

NaturalLow posted:

They might also be factoring in things like ectopic pregnancies. IUDs (particularly the hormone-free ones like Paragard) don't necessarily always prevent ovulation so there is the very rare possibility of getting pregnant even with one in place properly.

I don't think that would differ between perfect and typical use though. Even in a perfect world they still don't prevent ectopics...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ceridwen posted:

I don't think that would differ between perfect and typical use though. Even in a perfect world they still don't prevent ectopics...

Yeah sorry I didn't notice there was debate about the difference between the two. I was just trying to think of possible reasons for failure. Whoops! :doh:

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Ceridwen posted:

This is probably the main reason. Perfect use of an IUD requires that you check the strings regularly, which would catch shifted or expelled IUDs. I think a lot of women neglect to check their strings after they've had the thing for a while. (I know I only ever check my strings when I'm feeling unusual cramping.)

All things considered, a 0.7% difference between typical use and perfect use is incredibly small.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Bagleworm posted:

This is probably the main reason. Perfect use of an IUD requires that you check the strings regularly, which would catch shifted or expelled IUDs. I think a lot of women neglect to check their strings after they've had the thing for a while. (I know I only ever check my strings when I'm feeling unusual cramping.)

All things considered, a 0.7% difference between typical use and perfect use is incredibly small.
I have, literally, never been able to feel my strings. I've reached up inside my vagina a few times and Ive never felt anything. I've never had a lover tell me he could feel my strings either (well, with his penis, he may have been distracted though). Should I see a gyno :ohdear:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Bagleworm posted:

Or they are like me, and their uterus enjoys eating IUD strings even though the IUD is still perfectly in place, which makes it more difficult to detect if the IUD has shifted. I did make it a point to get any changes in bleeding pattern checked out by a doc ASAP though since my strings were missing (I had a Mirena and was not getting periods). And each time it was perfectly in place, but it was expensive to find that out (required ultrasound) so I can see it getting skipped.

My situation certainly isn't common, but I can see it contributing to the tiny increased risk with "typical" use.

Doesn't make the IUD any less awesome though! I had no periods and worry free birth control for over six years and fertility returned immediately when I got the IUD out. Can't ask for much more than that.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
My doctor's office is the worst at communicating. :sigh: I'm planning to call them tomorrow and try to get an appointment to talk in person because I got some test results back telling me that I have high testosterone levels, but no actual info regarding what might cause it or what I should be worried about. I've always heard of high testosterone levels as a symptom of PCOS, but I don't really have any other symptoms other than very irregular periods.

Do any of you have hormone imbalances that you've treated with Implanon or Mirena rather than a birth control pill? I hate pills so much, because I have yet to be on one that doesn't make me lose all interest in sex, or so low dose that if I'm off by an hour taking it, it's surprise middle of the cycle period time.

Hanky Church
Oct 31, 2009
So back in April, I decided to start birth control, as my boyfriend is moving here in a few months and also I could get a free check up through school. When my doctor heard how bad my periods were (I'd bleed through the highest level tampon in 90 minutes), she decided to give me a higher dose, saying it'd help make them much more manageable. Fast forward to now, where I'm learning that "more manageable" apparently means "exactly the same, except now it smells like raw meat and you get giant strips of tissue instead of constant blood clots". :confuoot:

Am I just being impatient and need to wait a few months? That was kind of the implication I was getting from the OP but wanted to doublecheck.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hanky Church posted:

So back in April, I decided to start birth control, as my boyfriend is moving here in a few months and also I could get a free check up through school. When my doctor heard how bad my periods were (I'd bleed through the highest level tampon in 90 minutes), she decided to give me a higher dose, saying it'd help make them much more manageable. Fast forward to now, where I'm learning that "more manageable" apparently means "exactly the same, except now it smells like raw meat and you get giant strips of tissue instead of constant blood clots". :confuoot:

Am I just being impatient and need to wait a few months? That was kind of the implication I was getting from the OP but wanted to doublecheck.

What kind of BC?

Hanky Church
Oct 31, 2009
Sorry, that would be a helpful piece of information, wouldn't it? It's a pill form called Nortrel (1/35, since that apparently makes a difference).

Hanky Church fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 5, 2012

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Hanky Church posted:

Sorry, that would be a helpful piece of information, wouldn't it? It's a pill form called Nortrel (1/35, since that apparently makes a difference).

The only info I was able to find out about it is that's a triphasic pill. You might want to get on a monophasic pill instead. The only time I was on a triphasic pill, I had worse periods than I normally do and had to swap off it immediately. More or higher doses of hormones should not be how a doctor attempts to eliminate side effects as the opposite can occur. There is no reason to be taking more hormones than are necessary.

It concerned me some that I was unable to find a product website, a break down of what hormones are in the pills, or what dosages. Most pills have a website for those who are on it to check for questions like this, and that they don't have one is weird.

As to if you should stay on it, that is ultimately up to you. If it were me, I would wonder what was causing my periods to be so heavy, and go from there about treatment (pill or otherwise). But since you need to be on the pill anyway, getting on one that works for you is tied in with that. Can you live with the heavy bleeding? For three months? For longer? If it doesn't stop, and the answers to those questions are no, get on a different pill.

Edit: The 1/35 did matter, thank you for putting that in. I found much more on it once I added that in my search. I still think that it's a high dosage pill and may not be necessary, though the type of Nortel you're on does not appear to be triphasic.

Reformed Tomboy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 5, 2012

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

None of the birth control I was on ever reduced the intensity of my periods until I went on the Mirena. And I was on a range of things from high dose (the patch) to very low dose pills. I always still got a period that was just as heavy and crampy as when I was on nothing. They responded pretty much immediately to the Mirena. My first period after getting it was much lighter, and over the next few months they disappeared altogether and did not come back until I got it removed.

If period control is important to you, I'd give this pill another month to see if things change and then ask to be on a different pill if they don't. And just keep in mind that if the pill isn't helping with your periods there are other hormonal methods (like the Mirena) available that might be more helpful.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Mirena insertion scheduled for June 20th! Insurance pays 90%!

Quick question: I'll be on my period when I get it (of course). When should I expect my next one (if I do)? My only concern is I have a vacay coming up the last full weekend in July and I just have a feeling it will put itself off until right then. On the pill, I would have gotten it the week before vacation.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Mirena insertion scheduled for June 20th! Insurance pays 90%!

Quick question: I'll be on my period when I get it (of course). When should I expect my next one (if I do)? My only concern is I have a vacay coming up the last full weekend in July and I just have a feeling it will put itself off until right then. On the pill, I would have gotten it the week before vacation.

Yay you're finally getting one :) I remember you posting a bunch earlier in the thread, but then you disappeared from it until now... Glad your insurance is covering so much of it ^.^ I can't comment on when your next one will be, as my appointment to get mine is tomorrow morning, but I've learned over the years that my period will always happen when there's anything out of the ordinary going on. Should've guessed it when the first and second ones ever were on Thanksgiving and Christmas :( Marching band competition? Check! Prom? Check! HS Graduation? Check! Freshman Orientation (which meant I had no idea where anything was, let alone bathrooms)? Check! Week-long cruise with my then-boyfriend-now-husband and his family? Check! My wedding last summer? Check! You mentioned several times about wanting permanent sterilization and right then I was personally rooting for you cause I'm the same way- but I was thinking more along the lines of what they did to my mom, where they went in and burned away almost all of her uterine lining. Tube ties or snipping the husband would be all well and good, but I want my periods to disappear too... which is why when the subject of BC came up with my husband last month, I immediately told him about the Mirena :D

TL;DR- I'm incredibly happy that you're getting one and I ramble too much about this sort of thing cause no one I know personally ever wants to hear it but it's interesting to me...

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
It was a bit of a battle with insurance. But they said they'd cover it. So, I only have to pay like, 300 bucks now.

I really have to get this because I don't trust the pill anymore with my weight gain. I swear I've had mittelschmerz today and yesterday. Which freaks me right the gently caress out, even though I haven't had sex since October.

But, I am also not looking forward to my period showing up when I get to see my boyfriend for the first time since January 1st.

If it does show up then, I'm hoping it will be light and short enough that we can just deal. Like I said, I have not had sexyfuntimes since October and my little heart will just break if I don't get some on vacation.

Maybe timing wasn't so great. I disappeared from this thread for a while because I was dealing with bigger health issues (hypothyroidism as it turns out) so BC while living 2600 miles from my bf was not at the forefront of my mind.

edit: Doing some googling (I know, I know) leads me to believe I'll be spotting for a while after I get it. Does that happen to everyone? Am I going to be bleeding for 2 weeks?

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 5, 2012

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Geolicious posted:

edit: Doing some googling (I know, I know) leads me to believe I'll be spotting for a while after I get it. Does that happen to everyone? Am I going to be bleeding for 2 weeks?

No real way to know. Some spot for a while, some don't. I spotted for a bit, but it wasn't much of a bother.

There is also no way to know whether your period will come at the end of July or not. Mine didn't really get farther apart as far as I can remember, just lighter. But I'm sure there are women for whom the opposite is true. Unfortunately none of us can tell you how your body will react. Sorry :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If it happens it happens. I cannot deal with the stress and anxiety of having sex on the pill anymore (especially when I'm having stuff like mittelschmerz). If I have to take one for the team to get 5 years of a lot less worry, then so be it.

edit: I've been on the pill for so long I can't remember my period schedule before then.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 5, 2012

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'm not trying to be a condescending or a smart rear end here, so I hope it doesn't come off that way but having sex on your period isn't really that bad. I know some people find the concept a little gross, but unless yours is an absolute bloodbath nightmare-level period it's actually not all that different from sex any other time of the month. If you or your partner are really concerned about potential mess, put a towel down first or have him wear a condom or do it in the shower etc. etc.

Just my experience though, you're entitled to your reasons if you don't want to do it. V :) V Personally if I hadn't seen my boyfriend since January, it would take some serious bleeding to keep me from having sex the next time I saw him.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NaturalLow posted:

I'm not trying to be a condescending or a smart rear end here, so I hope it doesn't come off that way but having sex on your period isn't really that bad. I know some people find the concept a little gross, but unless yours is an absolute bloodbath nightmare-level period it's actually not all that different from sex any other time of the month. If you or your partner are really concerned about potential mess, put a towel down first or have him wear a condom or do it in the shower etc. etc.

Just my experience though, you're entitled to your reasons if you don't want to do it. V :) V Personally if I hadn't seen my boyfriend since January, it would take some serious bleeding to keep me from having sex the next time I saw him.

This is actually funny because that's EXACTLY what I told him today. Normally, I don't feel very good or sexy during my period, but this is a different circumstance. I would imagine it wouldn't be very heavy in any case. I told him we were adults and we could loving deal. I would imagine not having seen each other for so long plus not having sex since October, he'll probably won't have an issues.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NaturalLow posted:

it's actually not all that different from sex any other time of the month

One good reason would be if your paramour gets woozy when he or she sees blood! That would be no fun.

Okay it'd be a little funny.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

One good reason would be if your paramour gets woozy when he or she sees blood! That would be no fun.

Okay it'd be a little funny.

Oh I'm sure there are a lot of potential reasons out there that I'm missing. Never even thought of that one for example. I'm probably also a bit biased because my periods have become very light rather than "oh god blood everywhere :byodame: " and my partner is not a particularly squeamish guy if it's a choice between that and no sex for a week.

(Yes it would be funny as long as no one busted their head open from fainting in the wrong spot. :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Another weird question just popped into my head. How do you check your strings if you cannot physically reach/touch your cervix? Between being fat and having tiny hands, I cannot reach it at all.

• Locked thread