Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask: anyone know a good way to remove turmeric stains from floors? A bottle of turmeric took a tumble today off our fridge (no I don't know what it was doing there, I just moved in) and got a bit on the floor. I wiped off the dust, but we're left with a bright yellow splotch on the floor. It's one of those fake-tile type floors, I think.

Try white vinegar. Or a paste of oxy-clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I have a bunch of chard and bok choi and I have done so much braising and stir-frying lately that I'm pretty tired of it. Anyone have any bright ideas for something especially delicious?

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Try white vinegar. Or a paste of oxy-clean
I've fallen in love with the mr clean magic eraser sponges. They're great and have taken off curry stains for me in the past.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Norville Rogers posted:

I've fallen in love with the mr clean magic eraser sponges. They're great and have taken off curry stains for me in the past.

Me too. Love em for cleaning gunked on pans without scratching. Does great on the wheels of your car too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dogfish posted:

I have a bunch of chard and bok choi and I have done so much braising and stir-frying lately that I'm pretty tired of it. Anyone have any bright ideas for something especially delicious?

pakora, tempura, dumplings, noodle soup, wrap a thing in chard leaves, make kimchi, make sichuan pickle, shred the bok choy and make a slaw.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I was thinking about dumplings, maybe in broth...do you have a favourite recipe?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dogfish posted:

I was thinking about dumplings, maybe in broth...do you have a favourite recipe?

Sure, I like chard in dumplings, the leaves are nice and the ribs can be minced and provide a water chestnut like texture. Remove the ribs and cut the leaves into chiffonade. Brunoise the ribs. Sautee with some minced mushroom, a touch of soy, and some sesame oil until wilted, add the rib brunoise and cook for a bit longer, don't overcook though. Add to some raw ground pork (don't use extra lean, it will make the dumplings dry) with a bit of minced garlic, fresh grated ginger, minced cilantro, white pepper, salt, an egg, a bit of cornstarch, then mix it thoroughly, then mix it more, and then more. You want to get the ground meat from a crumbly texture to a paste like texture, this involves a lot of working the meat. In the dumpling this corresponds to the difference between a crumbly meat filled dumpling to a coherent succulent meatball inside a wrapper. After working the meat, put it in the fridge and cool thoroughly. Then fill in wrappers, either homemade or store bought.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I bought some Russian Banana fingerling potatoes at the farmer's market and they looked alright, and at first bite tasted OK, but they have a tart aftertaste and a bit of throat "burn" like from a tannic tea or wine. Feels like I've got a bit of a sore throat. Is that glycoalkaloids trying to gently caress up my day or something else?

http://www.foodsafetywatch.com/public/154.cfm

I've noticed it before on other kinds of baby potatoes, generally when eating the skin. These are particularly sharp.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

MotoMind posted:

I bought some Russian Banana fingerling potatoes at the farmer's market and they looked alright, and at first bite tasted OK, but they have a tart aftertaste and a bit of throat "burn" like from a tannic tea or wine.
How did you prep them? Did you peel them and roast the chunks or boil them or maybe throw them into a fryer? That article you linked was great reading. You probably have hit the nail on the head - eating these potatoes will be a little poisony, but it shouldn't be enough to hurt you long term.

Then again, I was laughing to myself picturing the goony post: "Hay guyz, my throat is swelling shut and I have lost vision in one eye. My pulse is racing and I am finding it hard to type due to nervous tremors. Should I keep eating these delicious shellfish? Thx in advance." :v:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I just threw them into the pot whole and boiled them until soft. I never knew that potatoes could be out to kill me, but I'm not too worried about these. They weren't green or anything. I may also be more sensitive to the alkaloids than some people.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure, I like chard in dumplings, the leaves are nice and the ribs can be minced and provide a water chestnut like texture. Remove the ribs and cut the leaves into chiffonade. Brunoise the ribs. Sautee with some minced mushroom, a touch of soy, and some sesame oil until wilted, add the rib brunoise and cook for a bit longer, don't overcook though. Add to some raw ground pork (don't use extra lean, it will make the dumplings dry) with a bit of minced garlic, fresh grated ginger, minced cilantro, white pepper, salt, an egg, a bit of cornstarch, then mix it thoroughly, then mix it more, and then more. You want to get the ground meat from a crumbly texture to a paste like texture, this involves a lot of working the meat. In the dumpling this corresponds to the difference between a crumbly meat filled dumpling to a coherent succulent meatball inside a wrapper. After working the meat, put it in the fridge and cool thoroughly. Then fill in wrappers, either homemade or store bought.

Thanks! I'm excited to eat these; they sound delicious. I have finally perfected a recipe for gluten-free (actual celiac disease! not weirdo hippie fake gluten allergy!) dumpling wrappers and now all I want to do is make dumplings all the time.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Dogfish posted:

Thanks! I'm excited to eat these; they sound delicious. I have finally perfected a recipe for gluten-free (actual celiac disease! not weirdo hippie fake gluten allergy!) dumpling wrappers and now all I want to do is make dumplings all the time.

Glutinous rice flour and egg yolk? Wheat starch and tapioca flour?
Both would be gluten free.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Dogfish posted:

I haven't tried it with chard, but I'm a big fan of kale chips. I found this, suggesting that chard may work too.
http://www.macheesmo.com/2011/08/swiss-chard-chips/

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I actually found that it was hard to get the trick of just glutinous rice flour (because you have to do the thing with the boiling water, which is not the easiest), but I'll figure out that method someday. I use plain rice flour with tapioca and corn starches in there to keep the texture fine, plus a teeny bit of xanthan gum to help them roll out. It's the not-very-good-at-cooking person's solution! One day I'll figure out how to do it the boiling water way but there are many more failed batches between me and that day.

Wheat starch is in itself gluten-free but I wouldn't recommend it to people with severe allergies or Celiac disease, because it's very difficult to find wheat starch that hasn't been cross-contaminated with just tons of gluten.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

make sichuan pickle

Oh hey this is my favourite thing ever do you have a recipe pretty please?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

MotoMind posted:

I just threw them into the pot whole and boiled them until soft. I never knew that potatoes could be out to kill me, but I'm not too worried about these. They weren't green or anything. I may also be more sensitive to the alkaloids than some people.

Go ahead and peel them next time and see if that reduces the burning, choking death you're inflicting on yourself. It *should* reduce it a fair amount according to the article you linked. Enjoy your potatoes!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh hey this is my favourite thing ever do you have a recipe pretty please?

I do, but it's at home and I'm in NY until Saturday. Will post when I return.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I do, but it's at home and I'm in NY until Saturday. Will post when I return.

:swoon: Thank you!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I don't know if this is a good place to ask, but I'm going to a conference in San Francisco in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants I shouldn't miss. Last time I went I ate my yearly mercury allowance in a week, sushi back home just doesn't compare.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Pretty sure it's been covered before, but damned if I can find it.
I bought a bunch of sezchuan (sic) pepper corns recently. I made a nice stir fry type of thing with veggies and a leftover pork chop last night and it was wonderful -but it seemed like it needed more of that pepper-corniness. However, I don't want more of those actual peppercorns in it -the texture wasn't wonderful and the actual flavor wasn't as pleasant when I bit into one. It was still great, I just wondered if:

I should simmer a shitload of them in oil and then just use the oil instead of the corns?

Strangely, no recipe I've googled so far with "Szechuan" in the title calls for them...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

I don't know if this is a good place to ask, but I'm going to a conference in San Francisco in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants I shouldn't miss. Last time I went I ate my yearly mercury allowance in a week, sushi back home just doesn't compare.

Not up on the best sushi places, but I recommend swan oyster depot in nob hill to anyone coming to town. Budget some time for the line though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

Pretty sure it's been covered before, but damned if I can find it.
I bought a bunch of sezchuan (sic) pepper corns recently. I made a nice stir fry type of thing with veggies and a leftover pork chop last night and it was wonderful -but it seemed like it needed more of that pepper-corniness. However, I don't want more of those actual peppercorns in it -the texture wasn't wonderful and the actual flavor wasn't as pleasant when I bit into one. It was still great, I just wondered if:

I should simmer a shitload of them in oil and then just use the oil instead of the corns?

Strangely, no recipe I've googled so far with "Szechuan" in the title calls for them...

To deal with Sichuan peppercorns, you want to lightly crack them and remove the hard shiny black seed, you only want the fruit of the peppercorn. You also want to dry toast them to make the flavor smoother and more incorporated into the dish, then grind to a fine powder. You also want to be finishing the dish with them.

As for why you can't find recipes, could be any number of things. They're called Sichuan peppercorns, Sichuan flower peppers, flower pepper, prickly ash, etc. You will likely not find it as Szechwan because that is the wrong name and is often used by inauthentic sources pushing inauthentic dishes. It is used in all of the Sichuan staples, from the pickle mentioned a few posts back, to hot and numbing sliced meats, to ma po tofu, hot pot, etc.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

To deal with Sichuan peppercorns, you want to lightly crack them and remove the hard shiny black seed, you only want the fruit of the peppercorn. You also want to dry toast them to make the flavor smoother and more incorporated into the dish, then grind to a fine powder. You also want to be finishing the dish with them.

As for why you can't find recipes, could be any number of things. They're called Sichuan peppercorns, Sichuan flower peppers, flower pepper, prickly ash, etc. You will likely not find it as Szechwan because that is the wrong name and is often used by inauthentic sources pushing inauthentic dishes. It is used in all of the Sichuan staples, from the pickle mentioned a few posts back, to hot and numbing sliced meats, to ma po tofu, hot pot, etc.

Boom. Awesome. Thanks.
A lot of them are sort of cracked open already. Does that mean they are lovely and I should order them from some place like Penzey's instead? (they call them Szechuan too though. I didn't really think the spelling would matter, it just being phonetically Anclicized, but I believe you.)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

I don't know if it counts as fancy dining but I love going to Scoma's down on the warf every time I'm in San Fran. Seafood is taken off the boat, processed in a shack in their parking lot, hauled twenty feet across the parking lot to the kitchen. You can get fresher, but you have to be on the boat itself.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I want to get my husband a couple of steaks for Father's Day. I mean, the super best steaks the internet has to offer. Wet aged, dry aged, Wagyu, websites, cuts? I appreciate any input anyone has to offer. We are both able to properly cook a steak, grill or cast iron pan, so now I want to try the best steaks the internet can deliver to my house. Cost is irrelevant.

To contribute:

Grand Fromage, I freeze my herbs in ice cube trays, like RazorBunny said. Works awesome for basil and mint.

Argona http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/tom_yum_gai.php This one is perfectly serviceable, about how we make it. They are all basically the same, just DO NOT substitute ginger for galangal like they say. It is not the same. You can get frozen galangal at your asian or international grocer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have 3 dozen farm fresh eggs from the CSA which have been piling up as I've been traveling. What are some good ways to clear this backlog? So far I've got make lots of egg casserole for the office.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How about a souffle? That's eggy, isn't it?

I made this mouse before and it uses eggs instead of whipping cream: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/05/perfect-chocola/ but be warned, it's an understatement to say it's rich, it's pretty much half butter & chocolate with some eggs thrown in.

You could make an angel food cake, but then you'd have about a dozen egg yolks, so make some custard out of that or something.

You could also crack them into a glass and drink them before your morning run at 5 AM to bulk up for the big fight, but I hear that's frowned upon these days.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Angel food cake and frozen custard to put on top of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you just want to get rid of them fast, how about a platter of deviled eggs?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Very Strange Things posted:

(they call them Szechuan too though. I didn't really think the spelling would matter, it just being phonetically Anclicized, but I believe you.)
That's the original transliteration, which was revised in I think the 80s to Sichuan. Us old folks can still remember being taught "Szechuan" in school. I'm a little surprised at least some online sources aren't using the older spelling.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AlistairCookie posted:

I want to get my husband a couple of steaks for Father's Day. I mean, the super best steaks the internet has to offer. Wet aged, dry aged, Wagyu, websites, cuts? I appreciate any input anyone has to offer. We are both able to properly cook a steak, grill or cast iron pan, so now I want to try the best steaks the internet can deliver to my house. Cost is irrelevant.

Can't speak from personal experience, but here's what CI had to say:

Strip steak:
Lobel's Wagyu style boneless $68/lb, Niman Ranch New York $22/lb, Coleman Natural Boneless $14/lb, Peter Luger $29/lb all highly recommended.

Porterhouse:
Brandt Beef USDA dry aged prime $70/24 oz steak

Filet:
CI says you might as well just get a good grocery filet. Among filets if you want prime you can get them at Costco these days.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as real wagyu or kobe steak outside of Japan. They're regionally restricted.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 1, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

AlistairCookie posted:

I want to get my husband a couple of steaks for Father's Day. I mean, the super best steaks the internet has to offer. Wet aged, dry aged, Wagyu, websites, cuts?

Buy this: http://www.lobels.com/store/item.aspx?item=283

Look at it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

CuddleChunks posted:

I don't know if it counts as fancy dining but I love going to Scoma's down on the warf every time I'm in San Fran. Seafood is taken off the boat, processed in a shack in their parking lot, hauled twenty feet across the parking lot to the kitchen. You can get fresher, but you have to be on the boat itself.

Cool! By "fancy" I didn't mean it had to be in the Michelin guide, just that it has food I can't eat elsewhere - and this looks exactly like that.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Not up on the best sushi places, but I recommend swan oyster depot in nob hill to anyone coming to town. Budget some time for the line though.

Thanks! I don't know why oysters aren't sold in depots elsewhere, it just makes sense.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cowcatcher posted:

Cool! By "fancy" I didn't mean it had to be in the Michelin guide, just that it has food I can't eat elsewhere - and this looks exactly like that.

Thanks! I don't know why oysters aren't sold in depots elsewhere, it just makes sense.

I'll say what I always say: El Tepa taqueria on 18th st, and Z&Y Szechuan in Chinatown.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

bartolimu posted:

That's the original transliteration, which was revised in I think the 80s to Sichuan. Us old folks can still remember being taught "Szechuan" in school. I'm a little surprised at least some online sources aren't using the older spelling.
The reason you still find "Szechuan" a lot is because lots of overseas communities and Taiwan were/are slow to adopt the modernized Pinyin transliteration (from the 1950s). "Szechwan" is an even older transliteration.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm thinking of making a curry this weekend, does anyone have a recipe for a less common one I can make? Ideally with either chicken or beef

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm thinking of making a curry this weekend, does anyone have a recipe for a less common one I can make? Ideally with either chicken or beef

rendang daging, naram kukhura ko masu, curry oxtails in a carribbean style, see pyan, pandhra rassa...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Pandhra rassa looks good and only requires me getting the chicken so I'll go with that thanks

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chard posted:

Is there a way to tell just from looking how good a cucumber is? I got a couple from the store and they're woody almost all the way through; the seeds-and-juice bit is about as thin as a felt pen. Not very tasty.

Semi-related, what are some favorite vegetarian entrees? I can find recipes myself, but I've very recently given up meat and I'm finding it a bit difficult to get inspired now. Soups and salads are easy, I'm looking for solid lunch/dinner mains. Stodgy and Hearty, without relying on a ton of cheese.

From the last page, but bean burritos have become a recent favorite vegetarian meal of mine. Cheese level is completely up to you, and from there it's just a combination of whole and re-fried beans, jalapeno and other peppers and rice if you like.

I'm also partial to veggie stir fry on chow mein noodles.

As far as cucumbers go, you can't tell by looking (that I know of), but they should feel heavy and have a little give under mild pressure, like most watery produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Making a dinner before my lady and I go out of town tomorrow. I picked up some beef chuck which was on sale, and I'm going to make a bourguignon with extra stuff I have left over from the week.

I'm planning on browning the meat and then doing a red wine reduction with some beef broth and carrots/celery, herbs etc, cover it, and throw in the oven to braise. Question is: How long and at what temperature? It's only a pound of meat, and I'm worried about overcooking everything, especially the vegetables.