Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Besides being a tad boring, what the gently caress is wrong with those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Those ones make the debris and ashes falling down on them look like some kind of confetti parade. Or like, it's an ad for a hot nightclub or something.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kind of strange poses given the crop. Hathaway just looks bored.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

All the Dark Knight Rises promo stuff screams "babbys first photoshop". Terrible and amateur, like something a contest from DeviantArt would host.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can tell that somebody decided they were done as soon as they finished the one backdrop. Just select some random poses and swap them out, we're done here!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Honestly, WB probably realizes that they don't exactly have to break the bank on marketing the get people to see the movie.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
You guys are getting oddly worked up about some pretty bland images for Batman. How there can be the same level of disgust leveled at those boring character banners and the Clifford poster, I just don't know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ishamael posted:

You guys are getting oddly worked up about some pretty bland images for Batman. How there can be the same level of disgust leveled at those boring character banners and the Clifford poster, I just don't know.

Well people expect a movie that's very likely going to be great in a franchise that has been known for pretty drat good marketing to continue to have pretty drat good marketing. Especially since it's quite literally the last hurrah for the series. Perhaps the completely lazy marketing campaign is making sme people worry that the movie may be lazily put together (though they shouldn't because it won't be). It just feels like an uninspired hack job and the movie deserves better than that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ishamael posted:

Clifford is the demiurge of bad movie posters, it is not disgust that people hold but a well warranted fear of the maintainer.

People flip out about the Batman posters because it's Batman.

LesterGroans posted:

Honestly, WB probably realizes that they don't exactly have to break the bank on marketing the get people to see the movie.

My money's on this. The poster could have been a black background with white text saying Batman 3 and it wouldn't make any difference. Not that this is an excuse for boring posters or anything.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think that if they just removed the cutouts the posters would be much better, Just the shattered batman logo with the name of the movie is intriguing enough really.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

All I can think about when I look at those DKR banners is "BATMAN! AMERICA! gently caress YEAH!" What the gently caress is up with the red, white, and blue color scheme?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Based on the trailer, the plot seems concerned with economic disparity and popular uprisings, so I bet WB is uneasy about marketing that for a blockbuster superhero film. Unable to discuss much narrative, and assured that there will be a built in interest for another Batman film, they decided to go super cheap on some aspects of the campaign.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think the main issue with the TDKR marketing is indeed the laziness of it all. I get that WB figure it's pointless to spend that much money on it since everyone on the planet will see the movie anyway. But even so it kinda sucks because TDK had some really cool ads and even a pretty interesting ARG if I recall. They played around a lot with all kinds of Joker and Two-Face imagery so it's a shame they're not doing the same with Bane for instance.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ahahaha

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Always nice to see someone miss the point of They Live.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Plus John Carter was great with lovely marketing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Plus John Carter was great with lovely marketing.

That's the joke.

I dunno, I think the TDKR ads thusfar do a good job of conveying a sense of everything falling apart. There may be some minor issues but I can definitely get the "message", that this is a film about Gotham (and so society, etc.) on the brink of total destruction.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
There is a pretty cool motion poster for Sinister here.
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/new-one-sheet-motion-poster-for-sinister-starring-ethan-hawke

I don't know how to download it and upload it again.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Ishamael posted:

I am not appalled or anything, but I do think that the banners for The Dark Knight Rises are pretty horrible. They're messy and the color-scheme is generic - no style or originality at all. As Nolan's Batman -movies have become a bit of a flagship franchise for Warner Bros., the marketing-budget must be huge. And that is the result?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Not a poster but...I will do anything to see this exact movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Capacitor posted:

Fantastic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can't disagree. Thor being in Game of Thrones would make it even better than it already is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fimbulwinter is coming.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The director of Thor 2 directed several GoT episodes, so it's as close as we can get.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
EL CABALLERO DE LA NOCHE ASCIENDE

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Slasherfan posted:

There is a pretty cool motion poster for Sinister here.
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/new-one-sheet-motion-poster-for-sinister-starring-ethan-hawke

I don't know how to download it and upload it again.

Concept is pretty cool, but that scary face is goofy as gently caress.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gonz posted:

I can't disagree. Thor being in Game of Thrones would make it even better than it already is.

So would Sean Bean.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Let's see. Four Stars from the rag known as the Daily Mail; 'Spectacularly Watchable' seems like such a backhanded compliment from The Times, and generic box cover words from The Sun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Another Mondo sale for tomorrow, up for grabs is Dragonslayer, Shadow of A Doubt, Film & The Unholy Three.

http://e2.ma/webview/pbknc/859dfbaceb24137ccd0ba6a7b2ea6946

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Let's see. Four Stars from the rag known as the Daily Mail; 'Spectacularly Watchable' seems like such a backhanded compliment from The Times, and generic box cover words from The Sun.

It's also a SkyAtlantic DVD and two of the three puffs are from News International Papers.
Spectacularly watchable implies you could watch the whole thing through two times over and not even notice. Double-check, you could be watching it right now!

Is the square of darker grey around the ring a stylistic choice or a cock-up? It's seem a bit amateurish for such arch posters-are-art folk.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is the square of darker grey around the ring a stylistic choice or a cock-up? It's seem a bit amateurish for such arch posters-are-art folk.

Hahaha. He literally took an image right from google and put it on the poster, definitely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I really hate this. It looks like Chloe Sevigny, who I love, doing a Ms. 45 thing, which I also love. But those tags are like caution tape.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really hate this. It looks like Chloe Sevigny, who I love, doing a Ms. 45 thing, which I also love. But those tags are like caution tape.

What's odd is that this is a mini-series in which she plays a pre-op transsexual trying to balance being a single parent with being a hitman. And they try to make it look as boring and generic as possible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Noxville posted:

What's odd is that this is a mini-series in which she plays a pre-op transsexual trying to balance being a single parent with being a hitman. And they try to make it look as boring and generic as possible.

That rules. Is it any good?

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
While that does sound amazing, and I am definitely going to look it up now, I think the market for movies about transexual single parents is still relatively small compared to the market for movies about generic hitmen/women. It was probably a smart move on their part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Transamerica meets Grosse Pointe Blank.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That rules. Is it any good?

Haven't gotten around to see it yet (it might not have actually finished airing yet, now I think about it) but it's co-written by Paul Abbot who wrote the series State of Play and the UK version of Shameless so I'll definitely get around to it at some point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Noxville posted:

Haven't gotten around to see it yet (it might not have actually finished airing yet, now I think about it) but it's co-written by Paul Abbot who wrote the series State of Play and the UK version of Shameless so I'll definitely get around to it at some point.

This sounds rad, why is the first time I'm hearing of it is someone mocking its bland-as-hell box-cover. Seriously, was there any marketing for this at all when it was airing?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Captain Capacitor posted:

My favorite thing about this cover is I like to imagine they stuck Ned's head after he was beheaded on the body of Thor to kick some Lannister rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I guess we found something as great as this