Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh yeah, there totally is. I guess there's no use in paying an extra $10 for CADPAT.
I haven't bought anything other than what I was issued before, so I was just being cautious about what can and cannot be in my field kit.

It depends on your unit. I only know what it's like being an officer in the infantry school. We wear non-issued boots, gloves, glasses, t-shirts, I use a non-issued sleeping bag, air mattress, dry bags, compression sacks, warm-weather stuff, wet-weather stuff, rucksack, ground sheet, flashlight, multi-tool, toque, socks, underwear. I could go on. Guys regularly use non-issued bivy bags and slings and stuff as well, and nobody ever says anything other than, "Where'd you get that?"

I know lots of places are very strict with regards to non-issued kit though, so YMMV depending on the gayness of your unit.

Back to HAT FUR, YUKON STYLE talk, I don't know if it's 1As only, but all the other stuff from Logistik is for dress uniforms so I just assumed. I wonder how it would look with NVGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
3s as well

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
As a dumb reservist who has worn only either DEUs, CADPAT or PT strip, can anyone explain to me the different name/numberings for dress uniforms? What's 1A? DEUs?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

swagger like us posted:

As a dumb reservist who has worn only either DEUs, CADPAT or PT strip, can anyone explain to me the different name/numberings for dress uniforms? What's 1A? DEUs?

Dress Instructions has the official version but:

1As - tunics with or without medals
2 - mess kits (although typically these arent treated as an order of dress, at least in the Navy
3 - duty (long sleeve shirt with tie or short sleeve shirt)

1 and 3 are DEUs (anything ordered from logistic can be considered DEU for the most part)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Red Beaver posted:

Dress Instructions has the official version but:

1As - tunics with or without medals
2 - mess kits (although typically these arent treated as an order of dress, at least in the Navy
3 - duty (long sleeve shirt with tie or short sleeve shirt)

1 and 3 are DEUs (anything ordered from logistic can be considered DEU for the most part)

Mess kit is either the fancy red poo poo that sncos and officers are highly recommended to buy or DEUs with a white shirt and bow tie and no hat. So other than the 'optional' mess kit, it is treated as an order of dress.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Mess kit is either the fancy red poo poo that sncos and officers are highly recommended to buy or DEUs with a white shirt and bow tie and no hat. So other than the 'optional' mess kit, it is treated as an order of dress.

By not treated as an order of dress I mean people will add their own little personalizations and I've never seen anyone wear the cap with it, at least in the Navy.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

swagger like us posted:

Here's a link to the dress instructions and the page that explains the numbers. These are a bit dated (the newest revision is from 2011, available on the DIN) but the orders of dress and other general things haven't changed.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/44503634/CFP-265-Dress-Regulations#outer_page_73

For the record Navy peaked caps are authorized with mess kit if worn outdoors and required if the overcoat is also worn. The FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE is authorized with No. 1, 2 and 3, and only in the winter dress season, though I bet if you're on an MCDV or an Orca they'll let you wear it on the bridge with aviators like the badass that you are.

Edit: here's the most recent version http://cs.uwindsor.ca/~fitzpatr/A-DH-265-000.pdf

HammerOfHope fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 28, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

HammerOfHope posted:

though I bet if you're on an MCDV or an Orca they'll let you wear it on the bridge with aviators like the badass that you are.

For army types you can sit in the middle of a swamp in Gagetown in only the issued long underwear, held up with suspenders and the coon hat HAT, FUR, YUKON STYLE, with a big lipper and a shotgun to guard your moonshine/CP.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

For army types you can sit in the middle of a swamp in Gagetown in only the issued long underwear, held up with suspenders and the coon hat HAT, FUR, YUKON STYLE, with a big lipper and a shotgun to guard your moonshine/CP.

You gotta stitch the thermals together and add a buttflap, suspenders are only authorized w/ pants.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

If there's one thing CF kit is sorely missing, it's definitely the buttflap.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

HammerOfHope posted:

If there's one thing CF kit is sorely missing, it's definitely the buttflap.

and a pisshole in most of the winter gear. Nothing sucks worse than undressing to piss.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I looked up FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE in the regs.

Dress Regs posted:

Yukon Cap.
This optional item may be worn with service dress (No. 3 orders), with topcoats and parkas during winter dress periods. The cap is worn square on the head with the lower edge 2.5 cm (1 in.) above the eyebrows. The front fur flap is always fastened up to the body of the cap.According to the severity of the weather, the ear flaps may be worn up, secured with the tie ribbons over the top of the cap, or pulled down to protect the ears and back of neck,with the ribbons tied securely under the chin.Hat badges are not to be worn.

I'm surprised you can't wear hat badges with it.

I'd be in favor of a way to piss in winter gear. Especially if you're rocking a stealth suit under your combats.

I also think it's hilarious that Walt Disney is the example for proper hairstyling. I don't think anyone has looked like this since 1958.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 29, 2012

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh yeah, there totally is. I guess there's no use in paying an extra $10 for CADPAT.
I haven't bought anything other than what I was issued before, so I was just being cautious about what can and cannot be in my field kit.

You can't just get it from clothing stores? I thought it came with the ruck?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Elgar posted:

You can't just get it from clothing stores? I thought it came with the ruck?
It does come with the ruck, but for some reason people don't like stuff that's issued so they go out and spend their own money on pretty much the same thing. I don't understand it.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

I also think it's hilarious that Walt Disney is the example for proper hairstyling. I don't think anyone has looked like this since 1958.

Had a guy in my unit who kept his hair slicked back with some manner of hair product not known to the 21st century male. Most people had no idea that his hair was actually dangerously close to the allowed 6 inches in length.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
So I just finished a year long french course in Kingston, and ended up with an E, C, B official language profile.

The CF has some pretty amazing perks. I was just paid, for an entire year, to learn a second language. C'est formidable!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ub posted:

Had a guy in my unit who kept his hair slicked back with some manner of hair product not known to the 21st century male. Most people had no idea that his hair was actually dangerously close to the allowed 6 inches in length.

PO-MADE, SON.

mdivi posted:

So I just finished a year long french course in Kingston, and ended up with an E, C, B official language profile.

The CF has some pretty amazing perks. I was just paid, for an entire year, to learn a second language. C'est formidable!

Upside, you can now understand when french people are talking about you behind your back. Downside, you speak french.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

mdivi posted:

My cousin took a french course, they still buy you sports tickets and give you vouchers for beer?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fraser CDN posted:

My cousin took a french course, they still buy you sports tickets and give you vouchers for beer?

They did when I went through. :c00lbert:

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Can anyone here tell me about Ceremonial Guard duty in Ottawa?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Frankie! posted:

What will you be doing there? I have a few friends going this year as musicians.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

Fraser CDN posted:

Unfortunately our class wasn't that big on outings, although we did have many opportunities. We visited the war museum in Ottawa, and spent a couple days downtown Kingston enjoying the sun.

We had the chance to plan more things, but nobody wanted to take on the responsibility of organizing anything.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

Mantle posted:

What will you be doing there? I have a few friends going this year as musicians.

Guard. I'm gonna be the guy with the funny hat!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

So theres a video circulating on Facebook called, "I'm on a LAV". Being shared like crazy. Incredibly cheese and low budget, but still a lot of laughs.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Hizawk posted:

So theres a video circulating on Facebook called, "I'm on a LAV". Being shared like crazy. Incredibly cheese and low budget, but still a lot of laughs.

Could you post a link perhaps?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
The most "important" thing I'm entrusted with as an OJT is the local air cadet annual parade. I drafted and sent the OPORD for circulation 3 weeks ago. I talked to everyone concerned yesterday (as in, face to face) to remind them and they generally gave me the "Ya ya go away, Officer Cadet douchebag pilot" routine.

Apparently it's a big surprise for the maintenance chief because he just saw the OPORD today, and the parade practice is tonight. Gonna be fun when he has to find someone to come in on the Saturday to open and close the hangar. At 0730 and 1730.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

swagger like us posted:

Could you post a link perhaps?

Do Facebook links work?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151750554895710

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

compressioncut posted:

Apparently it's a big surprise for the maintenance chief because he just saw the OPORD today, and the parade practice is tonight. Gonna be fun when he has to find someone to come in on the Saturday to open and close the hangar. At 0730 and 1730.
Not really, he can just point at someone and say come in an open the door at this time. It's just gonna suck for the dude who has to come in.

edit: The dude who made this video's rap name is Kevlar Pearce. He is a very, very creepy person. He dated a friend of mine and when she broke up with him it didn't click apparently. He broke into her car and left a necklace around her mirror and a rap cd he made in her cd player, one of the songs was calling her a whore a bunch. He also made sure he got the PMQ right next door to her as soon as her neighbors moved out. In short, gently caress this guy.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 1, 2012

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Maybe you had to be there, but this would've been funnier about three years ago.

HammerOfHope fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 1, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frankie! posted:

I've heard it isn't so bad. Are you used to wearing full dress?

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 1, 2012

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I'm on a LAV is hilarious. gently caress the haters.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Not really, he can just point at someone and say come in an open the door at this time. It's just gonna suck for the dude who has to come in.

True, but we got it worked out.

I had no idea how far backwards we bend over for these kids, and how much their CO expects. There are two helos on jacks that can't be moved, which are on opposite corners of the hangar, so they don't get the traditional half the hangar for the parade. There are like 50 kids on parade - I didn't have that sort of space for any parade I was on ever (basic grad, PLQ grad, various divisions and so on) and their CO was still humming and hawing about only getting 1/4 of the hangar this year...

They also get the entire ramp outside the south side of the hangar. It's ridiculous.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Samu posted:

I'm on a LAV is hilarious. gently caress the haters.

...I couldn't finish it. I made it about half way through.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007
Some cool pics of Canadian Rangers doing stuff.

http://clubthreeothree.blogspot.ca/

And some Mk 4 love:

http://youtu.be/Pep-Hfua8TI

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's really cool. I've never actually seen a Ranger. Do they do BMQ and SQ with us before going up north?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

That's really cool. I've never actually seen a Ranger. Do they do BMQ and SQ with us before going up north?

I don't know how their training works, but the rangers are volunteer, and local. So someone patrolling up north is from up north.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Their training is all local and handled by the ranger group in their area. The stuff they need to know is survival and familiarity with living and working in the landscape of whatever remote area they live in. No BMQ/SQ/etc involved. And for their time, they get an Enfield rifle, a yearly supply of ammunition, and the cool ranger sweaters/hats you see there. Their obligations are to do annual patrols of their ranger group's assigned area, and to assist any CF/gubment agencies which need to work in their area. They're all pretty cool that I've worked with/talked to, and definitely good to have around when you're working somewhere arctic/near arctic and lovely like Baffin Island. They're often very good at hunting local wildlife and will let you have some of their freshly shot/caught game or fish in exchange for some of your sweet rats.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 12, 2012

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Looks like I'm headed out to Kingston at the end of the month for a two-month ACCIS training. Anything I should know before I get there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lassitude posted:

They're often very good at hunting local wildlife and will let you have some of their freshly shot/caught game or fish in exchange for some of your sweet rats.

What the gently caress kind of rations did you get where someone would willingly trade fresh meat for it?