Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Did it hurt much when you started to skate and then go away, or did it just not hurt at all?

One of the issues with many knee injuries is that you can "play through it" for a while. The pain goes away quickly as you warm up, but as time goes by it begins to take longer and longer to stop hurting in-game. Eventually your knee winds up completely hosed. I can barely walk up stairs right now because I figured I could play through a bout of tendonitis.

Go see a doctor, particularly if you live in Canadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

StyleFresh posted:

Got some GoPro footage at pickup on Saturday but I'm really bad at editing video and I haven't had more than twenty minutes to sit down at the computer this week to mess with it. The refs don't let me wear it during league games. :saddowns:

This edit consisted of me quickly skipping through the footage trying to find things happening in the hour I had and then adding music in After Effects (and then I cut random clips because the song was too short). I even downloaded Twixtor but I don't have time to learn how to use it right now! I'll be recording pickup from now on but here is the video from one night of Saturday night pickup in Dublin.

https://vimeo.com/43155019
(apparently it has to convert after I uploaded it but I have to run)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Did it hurt much when you started to skate and then go away, or did it just not hurt at all?

One of the issues with many knee injuries is that you can "play through it" for a while. The pain goes away quickly as you warm up, but as time goes by it begins to take longer and longer to stop hurting in-game. Eventually your knee winds up completely hosed. I can barely walk up stairs right now because I figured I could play through a bout of tendonitis.

Go see a doctor, particularly if you live in Canadia.

Was a bit stiff early but no pain, by the 4th game I was skating normally.

I'm in the US right now so I can't go get it checked until I get home.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Does your HUD display the location of the puck at all times, or only when threatened by a hostile entity?

If it's the model I have, it doesn't let you know the location of the puck, but it does bring back the glow puck in a big way.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

StyleFresh posted:

This edit consisted of me quickly skipping through the footage trying to find things happening in the hour I had and then adding music in After Effects (and then I cut random clips because the song was too short). I even downloaded Twixtor but I don't have time to learn how to use it right now! I'll be recording pickup from now on but here is the video from one night of Saturday night pickup in Dublin.

https://vimeo.com/43155019
(apparently it has to convert after I uploaded it but I have to run)

I wish I could play in a rink, it looks awesome. Maybe if I actually get to play next year (depends on how the weather), I'll borrow my brothers GoPro and shoot a video of middle aged unshaped guys who barely know how to skate, let alone handle a puck on a pictoresq lake... if it freezes and doesn't snow down of course

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gio posted:

If it's the model I have, it doesn't let you know the location of the puck, but it does bring back the glow puck in a big way.

When I was young and stupid, I loved glow puck. I look back and realize how stupid I was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Glow puck was a bigger deal back when we were all watching SD, but since most of everyone has HD now it's pretty irrelevant.

Going back and broadcasts from the 90's or earlier I wonder how anyone was ever able to track the puck.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Glow puck was a bigger deal back when we were all watching SD, but since most of everyone has HD now it's pretty irrelevant.

Going back and broadcasts from the 90's or earlier I wonder how anyone was ever able to track the puck.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy how terrible SD is and it wasn't even that long ago that was my primary means of watching hockey.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Finally found what is supposedly a beginners only ice league in my area, doesnt start until August though

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My team almost won our first game of the season last night but coughed up a two goal lead in the 3rd and then let in the game-winner right at the buzzer as all three of our forwards coasted in the neutral zone. drat dudes, come on :effort:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

I always just paid attention to the reactions of all of the players on the ice.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I don't really know why I'm posting all this because I don't really have any big questions for all you hockey goons (though there are some little ones at the bottom), so feel free to skip this post unless you want something a little :unsmith:

Man, I've been reading this thread and it really makes me wish chemo was over so that I could get started with hockey again. Basically my parents taught me to roller blade in our basement when I was like 4, and then they took me to a public skate at some point after it and it was basically the best thing. I played pretty much every year from then up until I graduated high school, but in three years at college I haven't continued it at all. I think at first it was just that I was a little burned out, so I didn't really seek it out when I got to college. My school offers ice hockey as a PE, but I haven't been able to fit it into my schedule.

Well, until now, that is. I finally got a schedule that lets me take hockey as my PE, so I decided I'd get back in it in a big way. This season was the first one in forever where I actually actively followed, too, so it just seemed to make sense to start playing again. I figured I'd buy some new skates over spring break and spend the summer breaking them in and getting back into hockey shape, but then over spring break I learned that my testicular cancer had metasticized and that I'd need to spend the next three months getting chemotherapy for it. I probably could've still bought skates at that point but it seemed kinda hard for me to get into it with everything else going on.

So I'm about 2 months into chemo now and I've decided that all this should really just be all the more reason for me to push to get back into playing hockey as soon as I can again. Chemo doesn't exactly kill your muscles directly but it tires you out so much that you really can't exercise regularly or even get out all that much, so I feel like I've gotten pretty out of shape even on top of the fact that not playing hockey for three years has definitely put me in worse shape than I was in high school. So I've decided that once this is all done the first thing I'm gonna do is get those new skates and start breaking them in with as much public skating as I can manage, and lots of other exercise so I don't make a fool of myself when I play hockey for the first time in 3 years. I'm kind of hoping to use hockey as that prize at the end of the road that keeps me on an exercise plan that'll make me healthier and let me get my body back after all this cancer business is done, but I gotta admit I've been jonesing for some hockey because looking back it was definitely the most fun thing about my childhood and probably helped with a lot of my issues a lot more than I ever saw when I was playing it.

So I guess for the sake of not making this completely selfish rambling, is there anything I should know when I go looking for skates? I probably haven't bought a pair in at least 7 years now, and even back then I really just knew you went to a store with an oven and let them bake a pair you liked for you.

Oh, and I guess is there a good way to find year-round rinks around you? I'm probably gonna be spending some of the summer up in Ithaca, NY, and a quick google search seems to indicate there aren't any year-round ice rinks in the city, which sucks. There might be some in the surrounding area but every hockey rink site ever was designed before the days of Web 2.0 and hasn't been updated since 2004 so it seems like it's kinda hard to tell what's defunct and what isn't.

I guess it might be a little early to really look into all these things but it's something to do when I really don't have much to do but wait, and I think posting in this thread about my ongoing efforts to get back into hockey might help keep me honest and stick with it when I finally do have the chance to play again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We have a girl on our team who went through chemo and all that a year or two ago. I think she was getting it once a month. She'd take one week off after a treatment, but then be back on the ice for the next 3 games. It was pretty badass and totally awesome to see her do it. :unsmith:

For the skates, check the OP, I believe there's some great advice in there about buying them. This is the one piece of equipment you don't want to cheap out on.

It's about the time of the season where stores will heavily discount this year's line of skates, as they should be releasing the new ones soon if they haven't already. It's a great time to buy skates this time of year. They'll go quick, so keep an eye out.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 1, 2012

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

dms666 posted:

Finally found what is supposedly a beginners only ice league in my area, doesnt start until August though

Are you in Pittsburgh? I'm just guessing based on your avatar. I am in a beginner league right now as goalie. I can give you more info if you want.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
:lol: the HUD comments

Goalies probably comment on my visor more than any other players. Some variant of not being able to see my eyes. I usually just say you shouldn't be looking there anyway.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

Are you in Pittsburgh? I'm just guessing based on your avatar. I am in a beginner league right now as goalie. I can give you more info if you want.

Which one are you in? This one is in Bladerunners in Cranberry

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Vicas posted:

I don't really know why I'm posting all this because I don't really have any big questions for all you hockey goons (though there are some little ones at the bottom), so feel free to skip this post unless you want something a little :unsmith:

Man, I've been reading this thread and it really makes me wish chemo was over so that I could get started with hockey again. Basically my parents taught me to roller blade in our basement when I was like 4, and then they took me to a public skate at some point after it and it was basically the best thing. I played pretty much every year from then up until I graduated high school, but in three years at college I haven't continued it at all. I think at first it was just that I was a little burned out, so I didn't really seek it out when I got to college. My school offers ice hockey as a PE, but I haven't been able to fit it into my schedule.

Well, until now, that is. I finally got a schedule that lets me take hockey as my PE, so I decided I'd get back in it in a big way. This season was the first one in forever where I actually actively followed, too, so it just seemed to make sense to start playing again. I figured I'd buy some new skates over spring break and spend the summer breaking them in and getting back into hockey shape, but then over spring break I learned that my testicular cancer had metasticized and that I'd need to spend the next three months getting chemotherapy for it. I probably could've still bought skates at that point but it seemed kinda hard for me to get into it with everything else going on.

So I'm about 2 months into chemo now and I've decided that all this should really just be all the more reason for me to push to get back into playing hockey as soon as I can again. Chemo doesn't exactly kill your muscles directly but it tires you out so much that you really can't exercise regularly or even get out all that much, so I feel like I've gotten pretty out of shape even on top of the fact that not playing hockey for three years has definitely put me in worse shape than I was in high school. So I've decided that once this is all done the first thing I'm gonna do is get those new skates and start breaking them in with as much public skating as I can manage, and lots of other exercise so I don't make a fool of myself when I play hockey for the first time in 3 years. I'm kind of hoping to use hockey as that prize at the end of the road that keeps me on an exercise plan that'll make me healthier and let me get my body back after all this cancer business is done, but I gotta admit I've been jonesing for some hockey because looking back it was definitely the most fun thing about my childhood and probably helped with a lot of my issues a lot more than I ever saw when I was playing it.

So I guess for the sake of not making this completely selfish rambling, is there anything I should know when I go looking for skates? I probably haven't bought a pair in at least 7 years now, and even back then I really just knew you went to a store with an oven and let them bake a pair you liked for you.

Oh, and I guess is there a good way to find year-round rinks around you? I'm probably gonna be spending some of the summer up in Ithaca, NY, and a quick google search seems to indicate there aren't any year-round ice rinks in the city, which sucks. There might be some in the surrounding area but every hockey rink site ever was designed before the days of Web 2.0 and hasn't been updated since 2004 so it seems like it's kinda hard to tell what's defunct and what isn't.

I guess it might be a little early to really look into all these things but it's something to do when I really don't have much to do but wait, and I think posting in this thread about my ongoing efforts to get back into hockey might help keep me honest and stick with it when I finally do have the chance to play again.

http://www.rinktime.com/skating_rinks/ny/new_york_skating_rinks_arenas.cfm

They don't really provide a whole lot of up to date information or anything, but it's a start. Find the ones close to Ithaca and give them a call.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's hockeycommunity.com too.. though it kind of sucks outside of Canada, it does show a couple rinks in Ithaca area.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

:lol: the HUD comments

Goalies probably comment on my visor more than any other players. Some variant of not being able to see my eyes. I usually just say you shouldn't be looking there anyway.

As a goalie, I'll look up at their eyes real quick to see where if the shooter is looking at the goal or down at the puck. That said, I usually make fun of people with those visors since we're indoors and all. :)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

dms666 posted:

Which one are you in? This one is in Bladerunners in Cranberry

I'm at the rink in warrendale. I can see if any teams have an opening in my league. Second season is about to start.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I'm at the rink in warrendale. I can see if any teams have an opening in my league. Second season is about to start.

Same place, I emailed Bill Kessel a week or so ago to find out all the info on the league, told me nothing til the August season as of now. Just glad to have the option of some Friday pickup too. Let me know though

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Just saw that someone in our studio send out an email to everyone in the studio telling them to come cheer us on for our championship game on Monday.

Feels pretty awesome, I just hope people will actually come.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

dms666 posted:

Same place, I emailed Bill Kessel a week or so ago to find out all the info on the league, told me nothing til the August season as of now. Just glad to have the option of some Friday pickup too. Let me know though

Awesome. Let me know next time you're going to pickup, I'll be the goalie in grey or the guy wearing a Fleury jersey if I am skating out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

Just saw that someone in our studio send out an email to everyone in the studio telling them to come cheer us on for our championship game on Monday.

Feels pretty awesome, I just hope people will actually come.

How did you get your company to sponsor you?

Our sponsor (local brewery) hasn't done dick for us in a while, and the dude with the hookup to the owner left the team, so we're thinking about changing the team and getting new sick nasty jerseys. I work for LARGE_TECH_CORPORATION and literally have no clue who I would even talk to about getting them to throw in a few bucks. HR? Marketing? I have no idea...

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I need this info too (e: if it's cool with you). (I can't read). Holy gently caress I've been waiting to get into a league for like a year. Dek hockey just doesn't cut it.

Also we should have a Pittsburgh Hockey Goon Pickup meet or some poo poo.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 1, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Our sponsor (local brewery) hasn't done dick for us in a while, and the dude with the hookup to the owner left the team, so we're thinking about changing the team and getting new sick nasty jerseys. I work for LARGE_TECH_CORPORATION and literally have no clue who I would even talk to about getting them to throw in a few bucks. HR? Marketing? I have no idea...

Pandora actually has non-profit status, and it kinda seems like the bigger the company is, the less likely they are to give us money or anything actually useful and the more likely they are to just donate some lame swag. Large corporations have very little to gain by sponsoring things of local interest. You're better off looking for a local business that wants some promotion, just a different one than the one you currently have.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm not entirely sure since I'm not the captain, but I know we talked to our Marketing side when we got our new jerseys since there as a period in time where they were considering selling them in the company sore so they got to sign off on them.

I'd imagine you'd have to talk to someone in the Marketing side of things since they're usually the people who deal with doing sponsorships of other events in the community and whatnot.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bradf0rd posted:

As a goalie, I'll look up at their eyes real quick to see where if the shooter is looking at the goal or down at the puck. That said, I usually make fun of people with those visors since we're indoors and all. :)

I bought one for outdoor roller hockey (we always seemed to play at sunset and the rinks are East/West facing.

Man I got a lot of flak for that.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I need this info too (e: if it's cool with you). (I can't read). Holy gently caress I've been waiting to get into a league for like a year. Dek hockey just doesn't cut it.

Also we should have a Pittsburgh Hockey Goon Pickup meet or some poo poo.

Email this guy fxnfly at zoominternet dot net and ask about beginners league info. I think there were over 30 spots remaining for August. Where do you play dek at?

We need a list of where/what everyone plays like the gear list someone made.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Email this guy fxnfly at zoominternet dot net and ask about beginners league info. I think there were over 30 spots remaining for August. Where do you play dek at?

We need a list of where/what everyone plays like the gear list someone made.

I'm on a team out at DekStar. Me and a friend actually got on our team by chance; we went out to Greentree to gently caress around and these guys asked us if we wanted to be on their team that they were throwing together because the season was starting 2 days later. It worked out pretty well though, we're 8-1 with 1 game left before the playoffs.

How should I tell this person I got his email?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I'm on a team out at DekStar. Me and a friend actually got on our team by chance; we went out to Greentree to gently caress around and these guys asked us if we wanted to be on their team that they were throwing together because the season was starting 2 days later. It worked out pretty well though, we're 8-1 with 1 game left before the playoffs.

How should I tell this person I got his email?

I dont think he asks, just say you were interested in beginners league and pickup and he will add you to the email list for pickup and give you league info.

I still play Dek, but out at Cranberry Dek Hockey, used to play at Dek-Star but got tired of how badly that place was ran.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

I dont think he asks, just say you were interested in beginners league and pickup and he will add you to the email list for pickup and give you league info.

I still play Dek, but out at Cranberry Dek Hockey, used to play at Dek-Star but got tired of how badly that place was ran.

Lol they just had a "scheduling issue" where they told us the makeup game that they had scheduled for tomorrow at 3 is actually going to be played thursday at 7:30. It's kinda ridiculous but it's still pretty fun. I think our division is supposed to be like E or D maybe, but it's really unbalanced. The top two teams are 8-0 and 8-1 (we're .5GB), and then you have 3 teams roughly near each other and then 2 that are 2-8 and 1-8. The top team and my team definitely should be up a league, we're just crushing everyone and it isn't even fair. Other than parity though, it doesn't seem to be all that terribly ran, but I've been playing there for less than a full season.

I'm emailing that guy now, thanks for the contact!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Look Around You posted:

Lol they just had a "scheduling issue" where they told us the makeup game that they had scheduled for tomorrow at 3 is actually going to be played thursday at 7:30. It's kinda ridiculous but it's still pretty fun. I think our division is supposed to be like E or D maybe, but it's really unbalanced. The top two teams are 8-0 and 8-1 (we're .5GB), and then you have 3 teams roughly near each other and then 2 that are 2-8 and 1-8. The top team and my team definitely should be up a league, we're just crushing everyone and it isn't even fair. Other than parity though, it doesn't seem to be all that terribly ran, but I've been playing there for less than a full season.

I'd definitely be up for some Pittsburgh hockey goon meet if you guys want to do some pickup or something. Or just drink.

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.

I'd definitely be up for some Pittsburgh hockey goon meet if you guys want to do some pickup or something. Or just drink.

Semi lurker here. I play Dek at Hot Shots in Mt. Pleasant. Not in the city but i'd be up for some pickup if it ever happened. I can provide a few more bodies as well.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

I'm in Pittsburgh as well. I don't play ice at the moment, since I don't have all of my gear yet, but I'm down with drinking.

Speaking of gear, I'm looking for some advice on gear for ladies. I can only seem to find female chest protectors online, and I'm sort of concerned about getting a proper fit. Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind for when I'm looking? Can male chest protectors work, or is it worth it to find female ones? Also, does it matter if I get women's pants, or can I see if I can find male ones that fit?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I've seen at least 3 times where 3 teams showed up for the same time slot. Hmm, what else, schedule requests, our goalie couldnt play Saturdays due to work, ended up with 9 out of 10 saturday games without ever playing one in previous seasons. At least you dont have to deal with the ref named Dean who was kicked out of there, went to Cranberry and got kicked out of there too.

Melchiresa posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh as well. I don't play ice at the moment, since I don't have all of my gear yet, but I'm down with drinking.

Speaking of gear, I'm looking for some advice on gear for ladies. I can only seem to find female chest protectors online, and I'm sort of concerned about getting a proper fit. Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind for when I'm looking? Can male chest protectors work, or is it worth it to find female ones? Also, does it matter if I get women's pants, or can I see if I can find male ones that fit?

You can probably make male stuff work, I'd just try going to a hockey store and trying stuff on and see what fits you best. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are new Total Hockey stores that opened in Robinson/Cranberry and Pure Hockey is opening soon on Neville Island. I have never had much luck with Peranis, but heard they added a lot more stuff to compete with the new stores. There is also K.O. in Cannonsburg

dms666 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 2, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

A friend of mine told me that a dude in a rec league out where she lives had an aneurysm on the ice last night. She said he's doing pretty well -- he's awake and talking and even asked about the game he's supposed to play tonight, but obviously he's not out of the woods quite yet.

Yeah, that's probably gonna stick with me when I gear up for my games this weekend. I can't imagine how his teammates must be taking it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Melchiresa posted:

We have a Pittsburgh goon group on facebook where we organize our drinking usually. If you email me your info (jormungandrmml at gmail dot com) I will add you to the group. That way we don't pollute hockey talk with drinking talk. It's not quite the off season yet.

Juvi posted:

Semi lurker here. I play Dek at Hot Shots in Mt. Pleasant. Not in the city but i'd be up for some pickup if it ever happened. I can provide a few more bodies as well.

Sweet. Do you and your buddies play ice, or are you just talking about dek pickup?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

A friend of mine told me that a dude in a rec league out where she lives had an aneurysm on the ice last night. She said he's doing pretty well -- he's awake and talking and even asked about the game he's supposed to play tonight, but obviously he's not out of the woods quite yet.

Yeah, that's probably gonna stick with me when I gear up for my games this weekend. I can't imagine how his teammates must be taking it.

That sucks, hopefully he's ok.

One of our guys had a heart attack in the dressing room after a game last season. That was loving crazy, especially since he was in his late 30s and not like... 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
I got out on the ice today for the first time in like, 12 years (took my daughter skating, her first time ever). I was rusty as hell, but it was a blast all the same.

I played a lot of street/roller hockey when I was younger, but never on ice despite always wanting to. I've been bitten by the hockey bug again this year watching the playoffs and am seriously considering getting involved in an adult hockey league at our local rink. Anyone here have experience with a "Hockey U" type program, either taking or teaching one? Our rink offers a 7-session instructional program "focused on skating, stick skills and hockey concepts" that might be worthwhile before the league's fall season starts, but I'd like to hear any input any of you might have on programs like this.