Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anybody try one of the new Ibanez TS9 30th anniversary editions? Thoughts?

Edit: Oh hi new page. Guess that means I should post a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
My copy

opf

komplete

jsut got here

and im sorry i cnat type

all the blud rush out of my hed

due to this jmassiv erection

Jives
May 1, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

That is a G. Love Electromatic Corvette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymgn7UD3CEs (Musician)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2izrh6hHze8 (Guitar)

T Jones pickups. Nice! (I was totally expecting it to be George Harrison, I admit.)

It caught my eye mainly due to how it looked, but compared to all the other guitars I tried in a similar price range, including other corvettes, it sounded a hell of a lot nicer. Which presumably is down to the pick ups.

apparently Lil' wayne uses this guitar!

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

mofolotopo posted:

My copy

opf

komplete

jsut got here

and im sorry i cnat type

all the blud rush out of my hed

due to this jmassiv erection

What?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I got my POD HD and I'm enjoying it a lot.

After experimenting a little I think using it into an amp is just a massive waste of time. Into a PA is where it shines.

Regarding what somebody said about his pod "not cutting through" there are a definite few speaker/mic models which I can hear sound a little heavy on the bass and anemic in the frequencies that I know I need through in a mix, there are a few that are fantastic though.

I think finding the right sound for live use is just a matter of getting the right cab/mic setup. The amp modelling is mostly great, its just those that are going to need a tonne of tweaking.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 1, 2012

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Sorry, that was me being silly. What I said was "My copy of Komplete just got here, and I'm sorry I can't type; all the blood rushed out of my head due to this massive erection".

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Jives posted:

apparently Lil' wayne uses this guitar!

If my recollection of his recent SNL performance is accurate, I can play guitar better than Lil' Wayne. He doesn't know two chords. He may know two notes.

Jives
May 1, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

If my recollection of his recent SNL performance is accurate, I can play guitar better than Lil' Wayne. He doesn't know two chords. He may know two notes.

Oh yeah, obviously he's poo poo at playing it, but it's still a FUNFACT.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

I really want to need this but my TS9DX does what I want. Analog Mike says the difference is purely cosmetic, but I've read in more than one place that it's using a better IC than the current production regular TS9s. Even the early reports had people A/Bing them in store claiming it was better. Haven't played through one or ripped it open, but it is good looking.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I picked this up for a screaming deal today:

Can't wait to get it and everything else set up!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
"Heh, I'll drop this tiny bid on the auction anyway, no way it's going to go for that little money"

(later)

"Wait what"

Quite fancy drum-machine with a lot of basses from 1998, I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the samples and the capabilities, did not expect to be able to tune 808 kicks with a lengthy decay and bass boost to the values at which my monitors give up, and my HD25 headphones give me bassy eargams that turns the content of my intestines into easily-extracted slush..

More than decent menu and sequencer system for being a two-line non-backlit LCD machine, it is from 98 after all. So good I can actually disregard my plan of getting a fully analogue 808 clone from MFB.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
Just got this bad boy shipped to me earlier this week. It has some character (the paint chip on the side), but I love it. When I got it, the neck pickup was sitting way too low, the neck had some severe relief, and whoever strung it last wrapped the strings 20 times around the pegs despite the guitar having locking tuners.

At any rate, after a re-stringing, truss rod and pickup adjustment, and a little cleaning it plays awesome. Not too bad for $300.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

Just got this bad boy shipped to me earlier this week. It has some character (the paint chip on the side), but I love it. When I got it, the neck pickup was sitting way too low, the neck had some severe relief, and whoever strung it last wrapped the strings 20 times around the pegs despite the guitar having locking tuners.

At any rate, after a re-stringing, truss rod and pickup adjustment, and a little cleaning it plays awesome. Not too bad for $300.

Sweet. I have an older USA Slingshot that I will never get rid of, and I was thinking about scratching my Gibson itch with a set-neck Reverend of some sort but I don't need another guitar at all. Everyone loves the US Revs including me, but I really think that the Korean ones are super underrated and will one day be revered (hah) and sought after much like 70-80s Matsumoku made guitars are today. Moving production overseas has allowed them to expand their offerings, and no matter whether you're a fan of Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsches, etc, if you like more classic designs Reverend has something for you. [/coffee-fueled screed]

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is this my cow? No, it is not a cow. It goes "Arpeggio! Glissando!" It is a ...

Triplett Sierra 30-string fully-Camac-levered folk harp.

List price with case currently $2495. Bought for $1000 from a woman who bought it to self-teach, got frustrated, had it kicking around the house for awhile, tried to give it away to two different schools, then put it on Craigslist.

Absolutely glorious ringing tone, one small ding in the soundbox, and the peg for low C won't hold. I might have broken the low C string while trying to fix this problem... ah, well, off to the local luthier.

Edit: Yes, I know I have a visibility problem with the images. Working on it...
Edit edit: See.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 2, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is this my cow? No, it is not a cow. It goes "Arpeggio! Glissando!" It is a ...

Triplett Sierra 30-string fully-Camac-levered folk harp.

List price with case currently $2495. Bought for $1000 from a woman who bought it to self-teach, got frustrated, had it kicking around the house for awhile, tried to give it away to two different schools, then put it on Craigslist.

Absolutely glorious ringing tone, one small ding in the soundbox, and the peg for low C won't hold. I might have broken the low C string while trying to fix this problem... ah, well, off to the local luthier.

Edit: Yes, I know I have a visibility problem with the images. Working on it...
Edit edit: See.

You made a Terry Pratchett joke and bought a harp. Can we be best friends?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

So... I... um...

Yeah. Then... aaahhhmmm...

And, uh... moooojjjjooooo....

I traded a guitar I'm going to miss for the Vibratone. The Luke Trugold is... loving incredible. And the Transatlantic is probably the most versatile head yadda yadda gotta go play g'byenow...
:goonsay:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Manky posted:

You made a Terry Pratchett joke and bought a harp. Can we be best friends?

Best friends 4-eva. I was actually wondering if there were enough harp goons to sustain a thread.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Oh Gawd, my new bass is ready on Monday. I celebrated by (what else) buying more strings! A whole pile of D'addario Chromes this time.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

sofullofhate posted:

So... I... um...

drat that's nice

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So a few days ago I won an auction - the original #000 prototype for the Fuzzhugger 1134 fuzz.

So far it's actually my dream fuzz. It does everything I want it to, I can take it from just a little fuzz color to total gnarliness, with everything I could want in between.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
So I ended up getting an Epiphone Sheraton anyway. Bought one on ebay, and it has to be one of the nicest looking ones I've come across. Normally, I very much dislike all of these things:

Sunburst color
TOM bridges
Gold Hardware
Pickguards that float off the body

But in this guitar, everything I dislike come together in an a way that makes me like every one of them in such a way I can not describe. I played a couple Sheratons at my local guitar shop, a brand new chinese one and a slightly older (maybe 07 or 08) Korean, and also I've played a Samick made one (which the one I just got is). The Samick made one had a much nicer neck, and I'm really hoping this one is the same. The burst is a much darker tobaccoish color in place of the more orange tint the new ones have. I can not wait for this to get shipped to me, it's going to be such a nice tonal change from my tele!

Look at that flame!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Manky posted:

So a few days ago I won an auction - the original #000 prototype for the Fuzzhugger 1134 fuzz.

So far it's actually my dream fuzz. It does everything I want it to, I can take it from just a little fuzz color to total gnarliness, with everything I could want in between.

I had a really early one and sold it to help fund the move down here three years ago, Tom is a cool guy and his fuzzes all sound neat. Still loving my Algal Bloom and a one of a kind thing he made me back when.

Rock on.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

I had a really early one and sold it to help fund the move down here three years ago, Tom is a cool guy and his fuzzes all sound neat. Still loving my Algal Bloom and a one of a kind thing he made me back when.

Rock on.

Tom is a super good guy. Back when I bought my pipe amp, I actually had to ship it back to him for some repairs. Not only did he cover the shipping, but he was incredibly responsive and courteous - pretty extraordinary considering it all took place around Thanksgiving.

By the way, Agreed - since you're the resident pick guy now, where do you recommend looking for lignum vitae picks? After your incendiary posts on the subject, I picked up a few more V-Picks to try out, and found a guy selling factory rejects of LV picks on eBay.

I really like some of the V-Picks I got - in this order, I probably like best the Dimension, the Venom, and the Chicken Picker. But I just love how the LV pick sounds, and now I really want to get a few in shapes that aren't the flat 351. Maybe something closer to the Dimension.

And a picture to stay on topic!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Actually... This is embarrassing, but it has to be said. I have to denounce prior affection for lignum vitae on the grounds that it's CITES prohibited and ascertaining the legitimacy of stock is virtually impossible. I can't make other people not buy it, but the fact is the world is running out of the stuff and while it does sound great and has incredible properties, over-harvesting has lead to a situation where there are only a few legitimate sources for the wood, all of them young-growth because of how recent conservation efforts are.

If you know that the wood is reclaimed, FSC-certified (and not, you know, fraudulently/falsified) then that's good, but I regret that I don't know of any good sources for it, and can't recommend any makers who I know for sure are using it. You'd have to inquire with them. If something can't be shipped outside of the U.S., that's... well, I can't say for certain and it would be irresponsible to do so, but I am concerned that it could indicate that the source is not acceptable under CITES.

So - please, don't take any personal offense, it's not intended, I hope that's clear, I was praising the poo poo out of LV before I had my eyes opened to the problem relatively recently - be extremely careful sourcing it and be especially cautious when buying products made from it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
drat, no kidding? No personal offense taken at all, that's a serious concern. Don't be embarrassed either, it takes integrity to revise an endorsement in the light of social/environmental considerations. I know you've been pretty close with SurfPicks, what with having a pick named/designed for you and all - you can't vouch for them at this point in time?

That's really a shame, though. You'd think that with the advent of modern plastics, we'd have a surplus of LV, but I guess without an economic incentive to keep it plentiful... Too bad, too bad.

e: Those Hufschmid picks are cool, and their PHD material seems intriguing. It'll be a while before I can drop $25 per pick, though.

Manky fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 4, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I don't know that SurfPicks are using bad stock. I do know that he states several times on his site,

Surfpick posted:

It is illegal for me to ship Lignum Vitae Surfpicks out of the U.S.

Which is not the same thing as saying "I am using non-FSC certified wood..."

Nor am I alleging that he is in violation of CITES. I choose not to investigate further, and I don't think there's a model of pick with my name on it anymore. He makes quality picks, I just can't accept the damage done to dwindling stock by the trade in LV as such. There's so little legitimate stock and so little of it suitable for use in building (it takes old growth, very old trees to produce the necessary wood for use) that I would strongly, strongly prefer not to encourage its use at all while we wait and see if the tenacity of species will allow it to recover or if it, like other things we take and don't put back, will go away forever and in a few generations it'll just be an entry in an encyclopedia. That's really sad.

It's not guys like Ra who are the problem, that's not the message here - again, I don't know one way or another where he sources his wood stock, and I am not alleging anything at all against him or Surfpick, hopefully he's on the up and up (especially since I bought a bunch of them!)

I just don't think it's a good idea to encourage trade in something that could be no more. The reason stock is so limited is because it was THE wood of choice for just about everything that we use strong plastic or metal for today. It was unique in that regard. Is unique. And it grows slowly. It was basically deforested before humans even started pretending to care about conservation (especially Europeans and later Americans, for whom it served tons of purposes, including ship construction all the way up to WWII). Nobody realized how scarce it had become because until fairly recently in the scheme of trees and elephants and the lost-forever rhinos, nobody cared.

So I guess I renounce my prior affection for it because it seems wrong to me. It's a similar reason that I don't think there's any justification for making piano keys or picks out of elephant ivory, and why I agree with the ban on "tortoise-shell" picks. The argument "the stock already exists, what the hell is the harm?" isn't specious, it seems absurd at first to say you need to put down a few tons of timber or hundreds of pounds of animal products if you got them before bans were in place. But if you trade in them now, it perpetuates demand for something that has no means of safe supply. So, I can't endorse it. I have to denounce it.

On a different and happier note - Hufschmid Guitars is Patrick Hufschmid and these picks are the poo poo. He's extremely environmentally conscious, as well, very careful to source his woods (luthier by trade and passion) from genuinely certified and reclaimed sources. If you want to try one to start with I'd say go for the Attack Drop or the regular Drop shape (Distressed Drop looks coolest!) and get while the getting's good, never know where the currency markets are going to go and right now they're cheaper than they were when I bought my first one.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 4, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Thorpe posted:

So I ended up getting an Epiphone Sheraton anyway. Bought one on ebay, and it has to be one of the nicest looking ones I've come across. Normally, I very much dislike all of these things:

Sunburst color
TOM bridges
Gold Hardware
Pickguards that float off the body

But in this guitar, everything I dislike come together in an a way that makes me like every one of them in such a way I can not describe. I played a couple Sheratons at my local guitar shop, a brand new chinese one and a slightly older (maybe 07 or 08) Korean, and also I've played a Samick made one (which the one I just got is). The Samick made one had a much nicer neck, and I'm really hoping this one is the same. The burst is a much darker tobaccoish color in place of the more orange tint the new ones have. I can not wait for this to get shipped to me, it's going to be such a nice tonal change from my tele!

Look at that flame!

Find instrument you got there.

Is that an Elitist?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Find instrument you got there.

Is that an Elitist?

Nope, just a Korean Sheraton. Just looks like it has some nice wood to it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Manky posted:

Tom is a super good guy.

Another +1 for Fuzzhugger.

I got a bigger pedalboard and power supply from craigslist a couple weeks ago. Here it is loaded up for a show the other night (I played bass):

The PT-Pro is so nice. And big. Also heavy. When I bought my PT-2 I figured the size would be perfect and it was for a while. Then I got a Moogerfooger. And then a second one. For a while I had more individual pedals on the smaller board, but now that I've added three huge ones it just wasn't enough space.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

bisticles posted:

drat that's nice

Whathankya. I really, really love it. Especially the neck. Solid rosewood old-Strat-V profile with a waxed back? Brilliant. Love the person who came up with that idea.

The gold colour has grown on me. I might have described it to the salesman as "that hideous gold thing" when I was asking him to box it up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Agreed posted:

So, I can't endorse it. I have to denounce it.

Much respect.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
I went to Goodwill and found this thing for $1.99.

Deal! Time to drone.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

communistdew posted:

I went to Goodwill and found this thing for $1.99.

Deal! Time to drone.

What exactly is that? How would you use it to create droning?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
My Warmoth 32" J/P is done!

Alder body, padouk/ebony neck, Hipshot tuners, Badass II bridge, Duncan Vintage P, volume-tone-series/parallel.

Big ups to Eiichi at http://www.shuriyaguitarcraft.com/ for putting her together for me.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Just picked a Korg SV1 up off of Craigslist.

It's love.

I also just picked up a Mini QTron for next to nothing. Here's the Korg through an analog delay and the Q Tron, just dicking around making sex music:

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 8, 2012

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

TyChan posted:

What exactly is that? How would you use it to create droning?

It's an FM3 Buddha Machine. It loops 9 different samples of kind of chanting and droning sounds. It's a hip, music nerd version of regular Buddha Boxes that you can use for meditation.

http://www.fm3buddhamachine.com/v2/

Also, just got this in the mail! Korg Microsampler. Time to sample the crap out of all my weird toys and instruments. Pattern sequencer, built in mic, USB organization on your computer of samples to push onto the microsampler. And it runs on an AC adapter or batteries!!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

My Warmoth 32" J/P is done!

Alder body, padouk/ebony neck, Hipshot tuners, Badass II bridge, Duncan Vintage P, volume-tone-series/parallel.

Big ups to Eiichi at http://www.shuriyaguitarcraft.com/ for putting her together for me.

I want to have sex with that bass.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

god drat that thing looks like an actual toy

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
Picked this up recently:

Brian Moore Custom Shop 7-string, 1999 model. I was planning on doing some very metal things with this thing, but so far I've been unable to convince myself to stop playing it clean. Very happy with the purchase.

maximadigital fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
picked this sexy thang up yesterday...

it's a Schecter Ultra VI, essentially a six-string short scale bass but you can play it like a guitar. i've never owned a bass but was never excited about picking one up...but i'm plenty happy with this. the three Duncan pups are all switch-controlled and can be tapped so there's a wide variety of sounds with this hybrid monster.