Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Holy crap. You're right; it's definitely giving off a weird Saints Row-esque vibe. Definitely more like SR3 than SR2 though. The difficulty drop-off is a bit disappointing. Bandits were wrecking me first, and then it was ogres, but now I feel relatively safe and unafraid. Bringing down a cyclops in record speed and such. I'd definitely like a hard mode that not only amplifies damage, but makes enemies react faster and more intelligently.

Dogma sort of gives you the "Oh yeah, I'm a drat hero!" vibe the same way the Saints Row series gives you the "Oh yeah, I'm a drat badass!" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So does anybody have Into Free without the sound effects in the background?

The one I had was taken down by the user :(

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
It's easy to pick out the details that hold the game back once you get higher lever or go through the game once or twice. However, it would be easy for them to take genuine feedback and improve in a sequel.

Set it in a land across that mysterious sea, make it look like ancient greece, give me gorgons along with the monsters we have now, and I'm loving good to go.

(also weather, fighting monsters in a thunderstorm would have put this game over the top for me)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How is leveling up a vocation measured anyway? Obtaining a certain amount of discipline points or something?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Overemotional Robot posted:

(also weather, fighting monsters in a thunderstorm would have put this game over the top for me)

Half of my wishlist for DD2 can be summed up by saying "Put this game on a next gen console."

The other half is basically "Combine DD2 with Xenoblade 2".

e: Also I think something wonky is going on with the servers. I just got the same dude's RC/ratings for my pawn 3 times in a row from resting at different camps. Good thing he gave me all 5's I guess.

VDay fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 1, 2012

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
This is probably an unspectacular bit of random info, but Warriors can mine ore and break through the explodable wall(s) with their weapons. The ore shoots out of the mining spot when you strike it, and it's possible to lose a stone or two in the geometry when it lands, but there's no need for a pickaxe!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, starting the warrior class this late in the game is tough. Suddenly it feels like absolutely everything is going to hit me, and there's nothing I can do about it because I'm so slow and can't block. And on top of that I have to be at such short range to do anything.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I tried to like the warrior vocation, but I feel absolutely gimped going from assassin to warrior. The charging overhead smash is bullshit cause everything moves out of the way or you get knocked down out of it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mercedes posted:

I tried to like the warrior vocation, but I feel absolutely gimped going from assassin to warrior. The charging overhead smash is bullshit cause everything moves out of the way or you get knocked down out of it.

You eventually get augments that make it so enemy attacks can't really knock you out of it, but all that charging stuff is good for is plowing down large enemies... which the Assassin can already do with Dire Gouge. As I see it, Warrior is a stepping stone to Assassin.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

My only major complaint outside of technical problems is that the intense difficulty fades so fast after you out level pretty much everything or have the ability to buy leveled up pawns.

Yeah, that's my main complaint. A Dark souls style NG+ system would have increased that games replayability by like 300%.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

^^^^^^^ edit: Goddamit they dropped the ball on that one for real.

Policenaut posted:

You eventually get augments that make it so enemy attacks can't really knock you out of it, but all that charging stuff is good for is plowing down large enemies... which the Assassin can already do with Dire Gouge. As I see it, Warrior is a stepping stone to Assassin.

Assassin is such a good vocation.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 1, 2012

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, starting the warrior class this late in the game is tough. Suddenly it feels like absolutely everything is going to hit me, and there's nothing I can do about it because I'm so slow and can't block. And on top of that I have to be at such short range to do anything.

Do you move more slowly than normal? Early on I had to dodge melee bandits as a Strider and I did it by walking behind them with some timing. Warrior seems a tad underwhelming, but the warrior pawn I have does absolutely brutal damage. It seems like he's been a warrior his entire life too, as he has BOATS of health and damage so being hit constantly doesn't bother him in the slightest.

He'd be better if his owner didn't make him Guardian-type though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Mimic posted:

Do you move more slowly than normal? Early on I had to dodge melee bandits as a Strider and I did it by walking behind them with some timing. Warrior seems a tad underwhelming, but the warrior pawn I have does absolutely brutal damage. It seems like he's been a warrior his entire life too, as he has BOATS of health and damage so being hit constantly doesn't bother him in the slightest.

No, I move at the same speed but I have to stand stock still for what seems like forever to do any kind of attack (that I have yet anyway).

Are there any attacks that start fast but have lots of recovery time, or is it all a time investment up-front?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Anyone else's warrior pawn like to stand around not doing much? I swear mine just kind of stands there with a dopey look without attacking. I've even held down an enemy for her and she just stays there, waits until the thing dies and THEN she lets out a huge swing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Mimic posted:

You can hire mine if you're on 360. Level 40, was a fighter up until rank 5 and has been a warrior since. I keep tabs on him every time I save to make sure he stays at Scather/Pioneer. He basically smashes the poo poo out of anything he sees, then if he doesn't see anything else runs forward a bit until he does, at which point he commences smashing things some more. Also he's green, so he's got that going for him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Det_no posted:

Anyone else's warrior pawn like to stand around not doing much? I swear mine just kind of stands there with a dopey look without attacking. I've even held down an enemy for her and she just stays there, waits until the thing dies and THEN she lets out a huge swing.

When I had mine with the trait to attack wimpy enemies first/guardian he just sort stood next to me and did nothing. The different pawn personalities really make huge differences.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm playing Warrior for my new game+ (at least, so far) and it definitely is a bit crap at first but I just learned Act of Deliverance and uh...

Whoa.

Now, keep in mind I'm playing through with kinda middling gear so going through the pre-Dragon parts aren't a total cakewalk, but I took down 90% of an ogre's life with one fully charged shot.

It does make that other charge move that the warrior class has a bit redundant+pathetic though. But the mild float to the warrior's jumping light attack is better for taking down flying guys than the other melee classes jump moves. So... I guess it's not total garbage as a vocation. Anymore.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, an interesting bug happened to me...

I'd decided that I'd missed to many quests with my dude so I wanted to start over. That guy was around 45th or so. I started a new game, deleting my old game in the process. I get up to the point of creating my main pawn and after I made him I rested. Surprisingly it told me that my pawn had returned from service or whatever and I got about 40k+ in rift points and he learned a huge amount of stuff about monsters, quests and locations.

What I figure happened was some people had my old pawn out and it just applied it to my current pawn since it's account based and not pawn based or something.

Of course, none of this helped me in my game at all. But it was still interesting.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
What's the better sword technique when you're surrounded - Windmill Slash or Compass/Full Moon Slash?
I just got Windmill and it seems cool, but lacks range.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

So I can do both side with the male and female bandits by just killing the one side and doing their quests, then waiting for them to respawn the next time I come up?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
My experience with the Warrior vocation seems to be the polar opposite of what everyone else is mentioning. I started the game as a Warrior and made it to the mid 40s, I felt like an unstoppable god the entire time. I killed anything including giant monsters in two swings without even climbing on them, nothing could damage me, I didn't get staggered when attacks hit me. It honestly felt like I was playing with some kind of godmode cheat enabled. I felt so overpowered that the game got kind of boring, so I restarted as a Strider and now I'm an Assassin and I just feel weak as hell. I'm made of paper and I do less damage than my Warrior. Having a bow is nice and I'm sure it picks up later, but it feels like a huge step down from my Warrior.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 1, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Hatter106 posted:

What's the better sword technique when you're surrounded - Windmill Slash or Compass/Full Moon Slash?
I just got Windmill and it seems cool, but lacks range.

I prefer full moon slash. It's not just the range, the fact that you can do it while under attack is huge. It means instead of getting perma-staggered whenever two enemies start attacking me, I can mash out an attack that will knock them back. Plus it combos nicely at the end of the standard 3-hit quick attack chain, and comes out nice and quick. Fantastic skill overall.

Also windmill slash is great for when a monster goes down, but you have dire gouge for that anyway.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 1, 2012

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Not to mention it does a poo poo ton of damage. I always carry that skills with me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What am I not getting about Catching a Thief? The thief runs just as fast as you, but turns faster so you can never catch up, is immune to damage, and flips out if you even try to get close. It's not possible to grab him either, you slip off.

e: Also it's a huge dick move having "load last checkpoint" not be "load last save". Yeah, I didn't need that last hour of play.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 1, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Lexorin posted:

So, an interesting bug happened to me...

I'd decided that I'd missed to many quests with my dude so I wanted to start over. That guy was around 45th or so. I started a new game, deleting my old game in the process. I get up to the point of creating my main pawn and after I made him I rested. Surprisingly it told me that my pawn had returned from service or whatever and I got about 40k+ in rift points and he learned a huge amount of stuff about monsters, quests and locations.

What I figure happened was some people had my old pawn out and it just applied it to my current pawn since it's account based and not pawn based or something.

Of course, none of this helped me in my game at all. But it was still interesting.

I personally don't consider it a bug; just a nice bonus for people who want to start the game fresh while their pawn is still out in the wild.

One of my friends must've been using my original pawn from level 1 or something, because earlier today my pawn came back with 150k. The way things are going, I might end up buying that ring.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

What am I not getting about Catching a Thief? The thief runs just as fast as you, but turns faster so you can never catch up, is immune to damage, and flips out if you even try to get close.

e: Also it's a huge dick move having "load last checkpoint" not be "load last save". Yeah, I didn't need that last hour of play.

The thief is immune to damage but he can be knocked down. Here's how you can do it simply: immediately run out of the inn and head down the street. You'll soon see an alleyway to your right which turns right to the alehouse and left to the stairway for the church's rear entrance. The thief will always run down this stairway at the beginning of the mission, so if you run there as soon as possible you can get there about 10-30 seconds before he does. Eventually, you'll see his figure run down the stairs. What you do is when he gets close, you use a skill that knocks him on his rear end. Something like Full Moon Slash or hell, even a really good regular attack chain.

When he hits the ground, grab him and the mission's done. The alleyway is so narrow that he's bound to run straight into your attacks.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Easier time as a Strider/Ranger/Assassin - Use the charge arrow shot to knock him down and keep using it til you reach him.

Surely killing him would have been easier.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's a good attack set for the warrior? Nothing I try is really doing it for me, I just keep using normal attacks. I mostly just need something to get by on until I get that aug that decreases stamina use, that's the only thing I want out of this class.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Policenaut posted:

The thief is immune to damage but he can be knocked down. Here's how you can do it simply: immediately run out of the inn and head down the street. You'll soon see an alleyway to your right which turns right to the alehouse and left to the stairway for the church's rear entrance. The thief will always run down this stairway at the beginning of the mission, so if you run there as soon as possible you can get there about 10-30 seconds before he does. Eventually, you'll see his figure run down the stairs. What you do is when he gets close, you use a skill that knocks him on his rear end. Something like Full Moon Slash or hell, even a really good regular attack chain.

When he hits the ground, grab him and the mission's done. The alleyway is so narrow that he's bound to run straight into your attacks.

I kind of feel like an idiot for not just dumping my sleeper arrows into him, but thanks for the tip on where to wait.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's no way to change equipment colors right? Found a really nice hood and it's bright yellow while nothing else in the game is.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
This loving game.

I was on the quest to get the Snakeskin purse and I've been out for awhile and it starts to get dark and naturally ghosts start to appear.

Since I brought only one mage support pawn, I just soldiered on and continued moving forward trying to find the purse. It's dark and I can't see much beyond my lantern.

I'm climbing up a slight hill and a loving CHIMERA appears lion head first into my face. It scared the poo poo outta me as the sulfur Saurians are catching up behind me as a few straggling ghosts coming up from behind as well.

I must have fought for over an hour, as I tried to show off my Warrior to my girlfriend as I climbed onto the snake and started hitting the snake with the butt of my hammer.

As the sun started to rise, I felt great elation as now I can finally see the woods surrounding me and the ghosts disappeared with the dawn.

This loving game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I have the invite to visit the duke, and got the warning that all my current tasks would be forfeit. What I'm not clear on is if that applies to quest from the billboards or character that I haven't attempted yet: For example, I just unlocked some "Arise to Power" quests for slaying oxen and skeletal mages. Will these be lost if I visit the duke or only if I take them first? Right now I don't have any active quests.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

There's no way to change equipment colors right? Found a really nice hood and it's bright yellow while nothing else in the game is.

This right here pisses me off to no end. This game really needs an ability to change equipment color, because some pieces of gear compliment each other nicely yet one may be silver and the other brown.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

jerichojx posted:

I tried to show off my Warrior to my girlfriend as I climbed onto the snake and started hitting the snake with the butt of my hammer.

I wish we could somehow make this sentence the thread title.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I really need to get some new armor. The best I currently have access to for Fighter is a piece that is mostly a tasset; since my character is wearing that baby blue body clothing, he ends up looking like he got pulled into Gransys from the ski club and just threw whatever armor he could find over his sweater.

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

Lotish posted:

So I have the invite to visit the duke, and got the warning that all my current tasks would be forfeit. What I'm not clear on is if that applies to quest from the billboards or character that I haven't attempted yet: For example, I just unlocked some "Arise to Power" quests for slaying oxen and skeletal mages. Will these be lost if I visit the duke or only if I take them first? Right now I don't have any active quests.

When I visited the Duke, I had a few of those "Kill X enemy" quests active and they were still there when I finished meeting with him. Maybe it just cancels non-billboard sidequest stuff / wipes billboards?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

RE: Catching a Theif

What the hell are you guys doing? I just ran up and grabbed him with RT. I don't think you need to stun or stagger them at all. Just intersect him or mash it when you think he'll spin.

Super easy.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm having Female Bandit quest problems. I cross-dressed into Lady's Garb, and fed the Cyclops, but if I come anywhere near Osiph, she attacks me. All of the pawns with me are female. Is there anything I can do?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kageneko posted:

RE: Catching a Theif

What the hell are you guys doing? I just ran up and grabbed him with RT. I don't think you need to stun or stagger them at all. Just intersect him or mash it when you think he'll spin.

Super easy.
Yeah, this is how I did it. You can grab him, but he runs just fast enough that if he's running away when you hit the button you'll miss. You just have to wait for him to turn around and try to run past you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Also, anyone care to post your "and then Dragon's Dogma really clicked with me moment"?
Dead of night near the edge of the fields outside Gran Soren, I have Murodese's overleveled rangerstrider with me and my group runs into a goblin pack. I run in, having just gotten warrior unlocked, and I wind up the charge move and I see a goblin leap in from outside my lantern's area right at me. I then see an arrow hit it square in the face, mid-jump, and cause it to fly out of sight. gently caress yeah.

• Locked thread