Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
The White wine Black Hole came out I believe last may. I am not sure if they did a second batch or not. The Tequila is actually the best of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kosher man posted:

The White wine Black Hole came out I believe last may. I am not sure if they did a second batch or not. The Tequila is actually the best of the bunch.

I think it depends on how much you like tequila. I hate the stuff but was pleasantly surprised with the Black Hole. I thought the bourbon was the best because I'm boring like that.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

escape artist posted:

What does everyone think of AV's Summer Solstice? Maybe I got a bad batch, but mine tasted like liquified pennies. One of only three drain-pours in my life.

Sweet vanilla cream soda is really the only way to describe it. Personally I like it better in a can for some reason.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anyone had Jester King's Boxer's Revenge? Someone sent me a bottle in a trade yesterday and I'm not sure if I should be excited or disappointed.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Anyone had Jester King's Boxer's Revenge? Someone sent me a bottle in a trade yesterday and I'm not sure if I should be excited or disappointed.

Their first run of it was way undercarbonated, which is amusing because JK became notorious for a while in Austin for extremely overcarbonated bottles. It's definitely got that funky thing going though and I think it's the best beer of its kind from where it comes from.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale. Anyone else had it?

I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but that beer had the worst drat aftertaste I've ever experienced. Plastic and aspirin, and it lingered for hours. I tried about 4 or 5 sips and finally had to pour it. It was also an odd, unappealing color. I'd describe it as maybe a grayed out yellow-brown? Just looked...unhealthy. Definitely the worst beer I've had in years in that it wasn't just a flavor I didn't like, it was straight up disgusting after I'd swallowed.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I finally had this year's batch of Hoptimum and I'm still unimpressed. Granted I don't know how old the bottle actually was but I still find it a too boozy and sweet DIPA. I prefer the dryer versions of the style.

Also had Great Divides DPA which I was way more impressed with. Any of the homebrew/brewer goons know what malts they are using? I typically don't go for the malty pale ales but whatever malts they are using with the DPA provided such a tasty backbone with a nice hoppy finish

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

lazerwolf posted:

Also had Great Divides DPA which I was way more impressed with. Any of the homebrew/brewer goons know what malts they are using? I typically don't go for the malty pale ales but whatever malts they are using with the DPA provided such a tasty backbone with a nice hoppy finish

Haven't tried their DPA but I had similar thoughts when I first tried their Titan IPA. It's substantially more malty than other IPAs I've had which was a bit of a surprise at first, but I came to realize that it works really well. I'll have to try their DPA now.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Retemnav posted:

I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but that beer had the worst drat aftertaste I've ever experienced. Plastic and aspirin, and it lingered for hours. I tried about 4 or 5 sips and finally had to pour it. It was also an odd, unappealing color. I'd describe it as maybe a grayed out yellow-brown? Just looked...unhealthy. Definitely the worst beer I've had in years in that it wasn't just a flavor I didn't like, it was straight up disgusting after I'd swallowed.
Aspirin flavor might be an off flavor from hops (I forget which types), but if it's strong it's likely from oxidation. Stressed/overheated yeast is also a possibility, but I'd put my money on poor handling. Darkening/greying of color is consistent with what I see in oxidized wines - sherries typically darken as they oxidize, and darker bottles of stuff like German riesling frequently end up tasting oxidized as well.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kosher man posted:

Does it have overwhelming tequila notes? Tequila and rum just make me want to hurl now, though I drank the Innis & Gunn Rum and it wasn't terrible.

Retemnav posted:

This year it's being brewed at the Matt Brewing Company, Saranac, and I can't say I was a fan this year. Something is off with it and I've avoided it and will avoid it until the new factory is up and it's being brewed there again. I know Matt Brewing used to handle, or maybe still does, Brooklyn Brewery's brewing and did a good job so I think it was just something off.

Also I bit the bullet and bought a 6 of Goose Island Nut Brown Ale last night, most brown ales I've had I just did not like they seemed boring I guess, but this one has just enough sweetness and complexity for me to really enjoy it.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

deong posted:

Can someone point out a good summer beer, that comes in a can, and I can get in CO. I'm not a fan of IPAs or the bitterness of hops generally. Looking for cans so I can pack it in/out easily.

Dale's, Mama's Little Yella Pils, Avery Joe's pilsner, whatever New Belgium's summer beer is this year... just go to Total Bev, Lukas, or Argonaut and browse. There are a ton of options.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Boulevard's Saison Bret is back on shelves next week. Oh glorious day!
http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/boulevard-saison-brett-interview.html?spref=tw

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 1, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Boulevard's Saison Bret is back on shelves next week. Oh glorious day!

For real. I'm getting as much as possible.

I had a slightly aged (??) Alesmith Wee Heavy, and man I think I simply do not like scotch ales. Soooo sweet, and at 10% too boozy to really enjoy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I can have about one scotch ale a year, during winter, and enjoy it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

internet celebrity posted:

Sweet vanilla cream soda is really the only way to describe it. Personally I like it better in a can for some reason.

I love cream soda. It must be that I got an infected batch. This literally tasted like copper.

edit: Pardon the double post.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I just discovered Jester King's Le Petit Prince and I want it, even if only for the book it was named after. Please distribute to NJ soon!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Midorka posted:

I just discovered Jester King's Le Petit Prince and I want it, even if only for the book it was named after. Please distribute to NJ soon!

Best under-3% beer ever. Sadly I doubt they'll ever escape the friendly confines of Texas. Except I'm wrong!

I'm glad to see all this JK love today especially because a lot of TX BA nerds like to player-hate on them these days. They're an all "farmhouse" outfit these days, chiefly because their joint got entirely infected -- whether this was deliberate or not depends on who you hear the story from. Either way though it means the Black Metal on the shelves now is the last, and so I'm getting a lot for safekeeping.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 1, 2012

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
We actually started getting JK distributed in Northern California a few months ago.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Best under-3% beer ever. Sadly I doubt they'll ever escape the friendly confines of Texas. Except I'm wrong!

I'm glad to see all this JK love today especially because a lot of TX BA nerds like to player-hate on them these days. They're an all "farmhouse" outfit these days, chiefly because their joint got entirely infected -- whether this was deliberate or not depends on who you hear the story from. Either way though it means the Black Metal on the shelves now is the last, and so I'm getting a lot for safekeeping.

That kind of reeks of desperation.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I respect what JK did in Texas with the laws and such, but I respect them more for paying homage to one of the best children's books ever written.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Well poo poo, my commute to Stone will become 10 minutes instead of 2 hours..

Stone Brewery is going to open up a spot in Pasadena, Ca.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-beer-notes-20120601,0,6895196.story

quote:

At 16 years old, San Diego County's Stone Brewing Co. is ancient compared to the still-fledging L.A. craft beer scene. Along with Sierra Nevada Brewing and Lagunitas Brewing, Stone Brewing has become a nationally known California brand and is now the 11th largest craft brewery in America, according to 2011 year-end statistics from the Brewers Assn.

Yet Stone Brewing's next target for expansion isn't some far-flung locale. It's cozy Pasadena.

Perhaps as early as August, Pasadena will have its very own Stone Company Store on South Raymond Avenue, where, in addition to buying all things Stone, drinking-age patrons can sample beers and get glass jugs — called growlers — to go. But don't confuse it with a bar.

"It won't feel like a bar. It will feel like a store," said chief executive and co-founder Greg Koch. "While someone may just drop by for a pint — and that's entirely possible — you won't find groups of people hanging out like you would at a bar. The best analogy is just to think of this as a winery's tasting room."

Although Stone operates out of Escondido, Koch is familiar with the Pasadena area, as he lived in Los Angeles from 1984 to 1995. Acknowledging L.A.'s beer scene is younger than San Diego's, he said this city is quickly catching up. He points to the 2-year-old Eagle Rock Brewing, which Stone distributes, as an example.

"Eagle Rock is larger than we were at year two," Koch said. "It's a very different time. Today a small brewery opens with nothing more than a Facebook page and they will have a line of people out the door on opening day. I couldn't have dreamed of such an occurrence."

I'm seriously going to be using my Growler a lot more now.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Picked up two new-to-me beers this week: Green Flash Rayon Vert, and Weyerbacher Verboten.

Opinions?

From that mix six I got last week in NH, I enjoyed all the beers. Except the GI 312. *sigh* Midorka was right.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

Picked up two new-to-me beers this week: Green Flash Rayon Vert, and Weyerbacher Verboten.

Opinions?

From that mix six I got last week in NH, I enjoyed all the beers. Except the GI 312. *sigh* Midorka was right.

Rayon Vert is very good, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DC/NOVA goons: Apparently Whole Foods Vienna and Norms are both already out of Parabola. I hope Total Wine gets it in next week so I can pop in after work...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

DC/NOVA goons: Apparently Whole Foods Vienna and Norms are both already out of Parabola. I hope Total Wine gets it in next week so I can pop in after work...

BA people in Chicago are reporting most city Binny's out already as well.

FW availability has always been weird, especially lately. The "rare" stuff seems to come in in waves. The first one inevitably sells out. Then a while later, it's all over the shelves. I was in a bottle shop in the far northeast suburbs of Chicago this weekend and they still had cases of XV on the floor. But people in the city haven't been able to find it in months.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

They tout it as an English pale ale so probably (to state the obvious) it uses an English base like Maris Otter or Golden Promise. They tend to be a bit richer in flavor than North American base malts.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

once in a while i join the rest of the state in saying, "gently caress you, NOVA." apparently the state got 37 cases, 30 of which went up there. i put in a bit of hard work to get one, and a coworker was a full hour late today, so i wasn't able to make it to WF before their Parabola keg kicked (which took a little over an hour)... but, yeah, i was able to get it for days last year, poo poo is weak.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I didnt even know Parabola was coming.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

but, yeah, i was able to get it for days last year, poo poo is weak.

Unfortunately, this is how the hobby is going. Used to be demand for this kind of stuff was so low that it would sit on shelves for weeks. I was hoping the Parabola would be as widely available as it was last year, but maybe not. I dunno. Like I said above, FW's XV and Sucaba are still pretty widely available by me. I was hoping that'd be the case for Parabola...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Unfortunately, this is how the hobby is going. Used to be demand for this kind of stuff was so low that it would sit on shelves for weeks. I was hoping the Parabola would be as widely available as it was last year, but maybe not. I dunno. Like I said above, FW's XV and Sucaba are still pretty widely available by me. I was hoping that'd be the case for Parabola...

I called around to reserve a couple bottles of Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown (which is being released on July 2nd) and every store already had a decent list of people who had called about it. Backstage Founders Beers and KBS don't even make it on the shelves anymore.

Yes, I'm part of the problem, but how else am I supposed to try it?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

funkybottoms posted:

you live in CO- shouldn't you be telling us?

gonna assume that means you know and don't care for Oscar Blues- maybe check out Avery's White Rascal or Ellie's Brown, Upslope's brown, or Anderson Valley's Amber or Summer Solstice. if you get Maui Brewing Co, anything that isn't their IPA. oh, and 21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat.

VVV poo poo tastes like cream soda to me. i'm not a fan, but it certainly fits what deong was asking for. VVV

Thanks,
I was looking for things I've not heard of.. I didn't want to just list off a bunch that I've had. I'm interested in that 21st amendment watermelon.. I'll have to look for that.

And just a heads up, for those close to Lyons, check out the Burning of the Can. Big party that OB will be operating to celebrate breweries that can. After this, I'm hoping to have my goto summer can beer.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Aiming to try Weihenstephaner Hefeweisse Bier for the first time tonight; it's a reliably available beer, right? To the degree it could be found at a Binny's most of the time, at least?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

Aiming to try Weihenstephaner Hefeweisse Bier for the first time tonight; it's a reliably available beer, right? To the degree it could be found at a Binny's most of the time, at least?

You should have zero trouble finding it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Munkaboo posted:

I didnt even know Parabola was coming.

It just seems like a random time of the year to release an Imperial Stout.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Summer Love is great.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

It just seems like a random time of the year to release an Imperial Stout.

Parabola owns, but yeah. I guess on the plus side, by the time it's Giant Fuckoff 13% Stout weather again it'll have a good 9 months of age on it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Parabola owns, but yeah. I guess on the plus side, by the time it's Giant Fuckoff 13% Stout weather again it'll have a good 9 months of age on it.

But if its way better with 9 months of age on it, why they don't just release it in Stout weather anyways so everyone would think it was a better beer?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

But if its way better with 9 months of age on it, why they don't just release it in Stout weather anyways so everyone would think it was a better beer?
Because keeping poo poo around for 9 months that you don't need to costs a whole lot of money.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

I'm interested in that 21st amendment watermelon.. I'll have to look for that.

I had a can of that last week, the Hell or High Watermelon. I almost got another can today, it's so weird, but totally drinkable. They did a good job keeping it balanced. One would expect it to automatically be too sweet, but I didn't think it was.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Summer Love is great.

Isn't it though?? I picked up another bottle today, honestly found it hard not to get more than just one. I think I'll wait to open it until the weather is nice enough out to grill, though. Or at least when there isn't a fuckin' tornado warning in effect. What the hell, Lancaster County.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Corbet posted:

Yes, I'm part of the problem, but how else am I supposed to try it?

No, you're just playing the system as it's currently setup.

Honestly, I think the best solution is for stores to enact release-day policies rather than lists and behind-the-counter tactics. Put it on the shelves (maybe with an announcement of when you're gonna have it) and the first person who grabs one (and yeah, limits are cool) gets it. I don't blame the people who call ahead and reserve, but I do think the person in the store with money in hand is the one getting screwed by the system.