Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Something is happening!

I forget how much I miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CidGregor posted:

In a funny "what are the odds?" sort of coincidence, today's XKCD is also about going back in time to kill Hitler.

It's like I'm on the Digg front page again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Krinkle posted:

I wonder if there's a greasemonkey script that auto-corrects all hyperlinks from XKCD to GoatKCD

Eh, this one would work better with the middle panel replaced rather than the last one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

You know what? Finally.

Finally someone is mad about the human race getting wiped out and wants to do something about it, and it isn't in the past or alluded to briefly elsewhere or sort of shrugged off in a detached way. Aranea threw around words like "trillions dead" as if they were no big deal and finally someone reacted to them.

I mean yeah it was a boneheaded reaction but at the end of the day I think that might be the fault of the person who was cavalier with the application of genocide rather than the person who heard "Fish Hitler" and whose first reaction was "stop Fish Hitler". You really can't afford ambiguity with this stuff, no matter how amusing it sounds.

Homestuck is, amongst other things, about the reproductive system of universes dude. Trillians dead IS no big deal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FISH HITLER MUST DIE!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

SynthOrange posted:

FISH HITLER MUST DIE!

"DIE FISH HITLER DIE!!!!!" Is now the best line ever.

I lack photoshop skillz, can someone make me an Avi of Jake's Angry pouncing Face and/or silhouette? I would be eternally gratefullz.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Captain Oblivious posted:

Homestuck is, amongst other things, about the reproductive system of universes dude. Trillians dead IS no big deal.

The point is that to most [non internet] people, it's kind of unbelievable that nobody would react negatively to the idea for more than a moment. I mean objectively sure, the deaths of all those people are an unfortunate byproduct of making a shitload of other people, and thus not really a super big deal in a kind of "stuff happens" way, but regular people aren't objective, and even though it is an important and popular fact that all kids are sociopaths, it's always been a little odd that the most we ever got was an "oh" from John when told he wouldn't be saving the Earth.

Or so the argument goes. Personally it's never really bothered me or made it harder to identify with the characters, since I can't really see getting bent out of shape over an apocalypse event; it's so big it severely challenges my fundamental ability to give a poo poo. It's not like it's binary though, I'm sure it's completely possible to both care about mass death and not flip the gently caress out about it.

...man, now I'm wishing I knew the first thing about philosophy so I could make some assertions about people's answers to the question "Would you have dinner with Hitler?".

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

The point is that to most [non internet] people, it's kind of unbelievable that nobody would react negatively to the idea for more than a moment. I mean objectively sure, the deaths of all those people are an unfortunate byproduct of making a shitload of other people, and thus not really a super big deal in a kind of "stuff happens" way, but regular people aren't objective, and even though it is an important and popular fact that all kids are sociopaths, it's always been a little odd that the most we ever got was an "oh" from John when told he wouldn't be saving the Earth.

Or so the argument goes. Personally it's never really bothered me or made it harder to identify with the characters, since I can't really see getting bent out of shape over an apocalypse event; it's so big it severely challenges my fundamental ability to give a poo poo. It's not like it's binary though, I'm sure it's completely possible to both care about mass death and not flip the gently caress out about it.

...man, now I'm wishing I knew the first thing about philosophy so I could make some assertions about people's answers to the question "Would you have dinner with Hitler?".

Keep two things in mind. First, all of these kids have lived more or less secluded lives with only a few friends and family members. Second, the death of their society took place either as they where leaving the planet, or in Dirk and Roxie's case, before they where "born". Them hearing about the disasters on Earth are a bit like us hearing about an earthquake in another country. Sure, you acknowledge that it's a terrible thing, but unless you know someone effected by the disaster the full horror doesn't really sink in, especially when you have other things going on in your life. However, I think all of the kids have shown more or less natural reactions when loved ones have died, though some have been more subtle than others.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
^^ A post I agree with but couldn't think how to phrase.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

You know what? Finally.

Finally someone is mad about the human race getting wiped out and wants to do something about it, and it isn't in the past or alluded to briefly elsewhere or sort of shrugged off in a detached way. Aranea threw around words like "trillions dead" as if they were no big deal and finally someone reacted to them.

While I agree, I think you may have misread Aranea here. She is clearly very very agitated that Meenah turned out to be a really awful person in another timeline, and the more agitated for the fact that Meenah is so flip about it.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

BrainDirk and Jake remind me of.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=011.jpg
I wonder if BrainDirk is somehow Tavros and Vriska`s doing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Android Blues posted:

While I agree, I think you may have misread Aranea here. She is clearly very very agitated that Meenah turned out to be a really awful person in another timeline, and the more agitated for the fact that Meenah is so flip about it.

I think they're mainly talking about Jake going apeshit about the fish hitler.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

Keep two things in mind. First, all of these kids have lived more or less secluded lives with only a few friends and family members. Second, the death of their society took place either as they where leaving the planet, or in Dirk and Roxie's case, before they where "born". Them hearing about the disasters on Earth are a bit like us hearing about an earthquake in another country. Sure, you acknowledge that it's a terrible thing, but unless you know someone effected by the disaster the full horror doesn't really sink in, especially when you have other things going on in your life. However, I think all of the kids have shown more or less natural reactions when loved ones have died, though some have been more subtle than others.

Not all of the kids were complete hermits. Surely John and Dave weren't homeschooled. (Maybe Rose was just tutored, I could believe it with a house like that.) I've seen kids who really were relative shut-ins, who still reacted poorly to having to leave their old schools/neighborhoods due to moving, and leaving behind everyone you know is a little less bad than leaving them all behind because they're going to die. Not that I'm saying there needed to be a huge grand reaction or anything, just that Homestuck kind of leans to the side of "c'est la vie" for a lot of things. To that end, though, I can also kind of chalk it up to the black comedy which is already everywhere in the series.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

John seems like a normal kid, but I think he comments (Betatimeline-John talking to Vriska) that he's never seen any of his neighbors. Gamefaq posters and Dad's 'serious business' friends are our only clue that any non-story-relevant people even exist on Earth.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Bobulus posted:

John seems like a normal kid, but I think he comments (Betatimeline-John talking to Vriska) that he's never seen any of his neighbors. Gamefaq posters and Dad's 'serious business' friends are our only clue that any non-story-relevant people even exist on Earth.

I think that quote was tying in with the whole "absence surrounding John" thing that was established in the title flash. But yeah, he did say something like that.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Kazy posted:

Besides, the only one who'd be able to see brain Dirk would be the Seer of Mind. :v:

Called it :c00l:

Meenah seems really happy to be beaten up.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Jake. :allears:

Terezi. :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Y'know, I think this is the first good ol' fashioned, non-psychic-or-otherwise-superpowered physical beatdown we've had in this comic. I could be wrong.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
"Knuckle sandwich!" is a great sound effect, and should be used more often.

edit:

Fucknag posted:

Y'know, I think this is the first good ol' fashioned, non-psychic-or-otherwise-superpowered physical beatdown we've had in this comic. I could be wrong.

I'd say this counts to an extent, but this is definitely the first extended one we've seen.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 2, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man I hope the conversation between Terezi and Jake continues :allears:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

... oh, of course. Of course a Seer of Mind can see a brain ghost. :doh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the Terezi "Seer of Mind" Pyrope get bored and has a conversation with Mind-Dirk or something.

:smug:

Jake is just so darn enthusiastic!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Not even the first in this act.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006620

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Dave's a God Tier, that doesn't count.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, even if the Batterwitch hadn't wiped out the human race, Jake would be pretty reasonable in acting this way, at his age, considering that the Batterwitch personally killed his grandmother and left him alone on an island for his entire life.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 2, 2012

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah come on man, it's not just anyone who can suplex a dude out of his magical self-cleaning pajama cape.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

glitchwraith posted:

This is true, but even as an abstract concept, the idea of the whole human race being wiped out would likely raise some hackles even among those isolated from the humdrum of ordinary society. Average children shouldn't be so willing to accept "It's a game about the reproduction of universes" as sufficient justification to start ignoring genocide.

Jake is a good choice for reacting to all this since he's probably the one whose idea of heroism is most informed by movies and fiction than reality, but still, it's a little cathartic as part of those aforementioned 'trillions' supposedly killed to know that someone in the story apparently cares enough about all this death to act on it, even if it's in a uniquely unhelpful way. After Rose's clinical analysis and Dave's ironic detachment and Jade's faithful belief in everything turning out for the best and John's sort of naive trust in whatever he's presented with, Jake wanting to punch out fish Hitler is really endearing.

Also Meenah appears to be enjoying her beatdown in a somewhat uncomfortable way. That smile, drat.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I guess that pretty much confirms Brain-Dirk was telling the truth about himself.

I'm not sure if that's more comforting or disturbing than whatever other bizarre explanation there might be for his existence.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meenah seems to be enjoying the beatdown

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Not only is seeing Jake's slightly untraditional/traditional vein of misplaced heroism kind of endearing given the aforementioned usual apathy, but I'd daresay this almost counts as some kind of fated callback, given that Grandpa and the Batterwitch seemed to be set up as nemesises since long, long ago in the comic.

Also, Meenah might still be in the throes of realizing how awesome her post-scratch self was/is, thus rendering her nearly immune to all but the fiercest of human fist drubbings.

(Alternately, Trolls as a species are simply predisposed to being impressed by a good right hook, earlier example being Kanaya vs. Vriska.)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Midnight Raider posted:

(Alternately, Trolls as a species are simply predisposed to being impressed by a good right hook, earlier example being Kanaya vs. Vriska.)

Maybe Jake's pageish charms even work on trolls?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

This is true, but even as an abstract concept, the idea of the whole human race being wiped out would likely raise some hackles even among those isolated from the humdrum of ordinary society. Average children shouldn't be so willing to accept "It's a game about the reproduction of universes" as sufficient justification to start ignoring genocide.

Jake is a good choice for reacting to all this since he's probably the one whose idea of heroism is most informed by movies and fiction than reality, but still, it's a little cathartic as part of those aforementioned 'trillions' supposedly killed to know that someone in the story apparently cares enough about all this death to act on it, even if it's in a uniquely unhelpful way. After Rose's clinical analysis and Dave's ironic detachment and Jade's faithful belief in everything turning out for the best and John's sort of naive trust in whatever he's presented with, Jake wanting to punch out fish Hitler is really endearing.

Also Meenah appears to be enjoying her beatdown in a somewhat uncomfortable way. That smile, drat.

Bullshit. Most people have trouble wrapping their heads around the scale of the Holocaust, let alone a galactic genocide with a death toll millions of times higher. If one death is a tragedy, and millions of deaths are a statistic, what does that make trillions of deaths? Every single reaction has been loving spot on. And not even Jake is capable of giving a poo poo about the trillions of deaths, really. No matter how Jake-ish he is, Aranea's exposition would not motivate him to lay the beatdown on fish hitler except for the fact that Dirk's earlier message gave him a personal connection to these events, which he's had time to think about and digest. If he was hearing all this for the first time he would be hopping aboard the "Huh, I guess A Bad Thing Happened" reaction train because that's pretty much all you can loving do when you're told about something of this magnitude.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Midnight Raider posted:

yeah as soon as I saw the fight and meenah's grin, I was expecting a callback to that scene with meenah sitting in that dumbfounded pose, camera zooming in on a tiny <3

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005347 analogue?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Midnight Raider posted:

Also, Meenah might still be in the throes of realizing how awesome her post-scratch self was/is, thus rendering her nearly immune to all but the fiercest of human fist drubbings.

This seems to be more likely given how she has her hands on her face as though she's daydreaming.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

This is the best birthday update ever.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Walliard posted:

This seems to be more likely given how she has her hands on her face as though she's daydreaming.

I donno, in the panel right before he hits her, she has her hands up in a defensive posture, and she's leaning away from it. At the very least she's aware enough to recognize that she's about to get decked.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jake: Punch trollqueen in snout to establish superiority.

edit:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 2, 2012

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm a little weirded out by the fact that the dead dreambubble-selves (christ there needs to be a more elegant term for this) are corporeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bobulus posted:

Jake: Punch trollqueen in snout to establish superiority.

edit:

That is the best thi-

Wait when the US conquer Mexico