Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Pfhreak posted:

Hey, in some parts of the world it's June 1st, right? That means maybe we could move out of the Pre-Pre-Gamedev phase and into the Pre-Gamedev phase, right? Synthorange is in Australia, I'm sure he can verify his clocks say something like, "rear end early, June 1"

Must know the theme!

You, I like how you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orzo posted:

Are there any games that follow a philosophy where your items and abilities actually matter and require mastery? It seems just about every game these days tries to give so many options to the player that they end up with an arsenal of stuff that just doesn't matter. A few examples of games I've played recently:

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just jaded as hell?

I'd say in part it's a design challenge because what you would have to do here is force the player to use a variety of weapons/tools/strategies/whatever, but you have to induce them to do this in a way that's fun, obvious/learnable, and is not annoying. Forcing players to do anything can get annoying real quick, though, if you're not careful.

The most common way to do this in your typical violent fighty game example with weapons is some sort of rock/paper/scissors specialization system that forces players to switch to the optimum weapon based on the situations, or else just tiering the weapons and then scaling the enemies you fight really heavily to force players to switch weapons as they progress. Both can be kind of clunky. Throw in stuff like upgradable weapons, and you have a tricky situation since you now have to balance the relative strengths/weaknesses in such a way that there isn't one optimal weapon that's good enough since being forced to switch weapons and make decisions takes effort and therefore presents an additional cost to switching weapons that will lead to your weapon switch incentives being ignored by some players if they can avoid it with tolerable losses.

Also, in a non-linear game, if you make one particular item the "best" or even a necessary item for a given situation in order to coerce players into switching to them, you have to be sure the player has that item by the time the situation comes around. Otherwise, they either have to stop whatever they're doing and do something else since they don't have the necessary tools at that point in time, or else they'll just sit there and keep slamming their heads against the wall doing it with their current tools and failing until they get sick of it and stop. Communicating this effectively can be quite difficult short of extremely tight and linear designs as seen in the Zelda games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Pfhreak posted:

Hey, in some parts of the world it's June 1st, right? That means maybe we could move out of the Pre-Pre-Gamedev phase and into the Pre-Gamedev phase, right? Synthorange is in Australia, I'm sure he can verify his clocks say something like, "rear end early, June 1"

Must know the theme!
I'm sorry, The Doctor just flew in to tell me that I'm not allowed to tell you the theme yet. Something about your time not being ready for it, that it would disrupt the timeline, paradox, etc. Then we ate pudding and fish sticks together.

The theme is neither pudding nor fishsticks. Nor Doctor Who.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well The Doctor is an rear end in a top hat and I want a second opinion.

I can wait until tomorrow.. barely

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Ok, I managed to add replay/simulation functionality to my game like I was discussing on the last couple of pages (turned out to be pretty easy, cool). And it has an awesome speed up / slow down feature, so I took the opportunity to make a demo video of it. Graphics aren't particularly suited to video compression but whatever. Also maybe very slightly NSFW because of explicit lyrics in the music I slapped on it...?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

seiken posted:

Ok, I managed to add replay/simulation functionality to my game like I was discussing on the last couple of pages (turned out to be pretty easy, cool). And it has an awesome speed up / slow down feature, so I took the opportunity to make a demo video of it. Graphics aren't particularly suited to video compression but whatever. Also maybe very slightly NSFW because of explicit lyrics in the music I slapped on it...?

That rules, nice one! (A good thing, 'cos I'd be upset if such a great tune was wasted on a lame-o game-o. :v:)

Don't s'pose you can be convinced to make a Mac port?

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Thanks! I totally would but I don't have a Mac so I can't do it myself unless I find a friend to lend me one or something (I think? I don't know anything about cross-compiling). That said I used SFML/opengl for the windows version so aside from a few wee things it should be pretty easy to port in theory... you wanna volunteer?

seiken fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 31, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

seiken posted:

This looks fantastic. Find yourself an awesome chiptunes musician, you've really got something there. Kinda Geometry Wars-eque, but more interesting.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Hey cheers! Actually I'm an alright electronic music guy myself (there's some stuff in the related videos) so I have that covered. I was toying with the idea of doing something cool like having dynamically synthesized music that plays in time to stuff blowing up, I'm not totally sure though. I'll probably leave music till a later version when I've figured out what I want to do with that.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

seiken posted:

Thanks! I totally would but I don't have a Mac so I can't do it myself unless I find a friend to lend me one or something (I think? I don't know anything about cross-compiling). That said I used SFML/opengl for the windows version so aside from a few wee things it should be pretty easy to port in theory... you wanna volunteer?

I probably would volunteer but I don't have enough time for my own projects as it is. Maybe when your game is successful enough that you can pay for my time!

And I definitely agree that integrating music well would be a great addition to the experience but that's probably just the techno musician in me appreciating the synchronized and choreographed enemy movement patterns.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm thinking of making something using an HTML canvas. Good idea/bad idea? What are my options for audio control?

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Manslaughter posted:

I'm thinking of making something using an HTML canvas. Good idea/bad idea? What are my options for audio control?

Audio is going to be really browser dependent right now, but it's settling down nicely. I've used impact.js and enjoyed it, but there are other options for canvas game development out there.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Let's get it on. SA GameDev VII is a go.

Balls.

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

This isn't a game development question but I thought this would be the best place to ask. I have a 2D matrix of vectors and I'm trying to apply a texture to it that is warped based on the direction and magnitude of the vectors. I have zero experience in this stuff so I'm not really sure what to look up.

The closest thing I've found to what I'm talking about are flow maps. This does what I'd like but with the added step of adding more warping over time. It does not explain how, mathematically, to apply warping as it's handled by the program he's using.

If anyone is interested in flow maps Valve put out an really cool presentation on their use in Portal 2.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
That's pretty trivial to do with pixel shaders. Basically when you do a texture lookup in a pixel shader it's something like:

color = tex2D(texture, coordinates)

... This returns a 4-component float vector, usually with all components ranging 0..1 from the minimum to maximum values of the color channel, or possibly anything if you're using a floating point texture.

Texture offsetting is normally done as something like

offsetColor = tex2D(offsetTexture, coordinates);
color = tex2D(texture, coordinates + (offsetColor.rg - 0.5) * offsetScale);

The second lookup has the location it gets the coordinate of the pixel offset by the value of the first.

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

That's pretty trivial to do with pixel shaders. Basically when you do a texture lookup in a pixel shader it's something like:

color = tex2D(texture, coordinates)

... This returns a 4-component float vector, usually with all components ranging 0..1 from the minimum to maximum values of the color channel, or possibly anything if you're using a floating point texture.

Texture offsetting is normally done as something like

offsetColor = tex2D(offsetTexture, coordinates);
color = tex2D(texture, coordinates + (offsetColor.rg - 0.5) * offsetScale);

The second lookup has the location it gets the coordinate of the pixel offset by the value of the first.

I have the feeling I'm in for some heavy reading. So warping a texture using a vector map is called a texture offset? If I'm understanding right a pixel shader should have a function that offsets each texture pixel (or color channel or whatever) by the vector direction and magnitude of my vector map? I assume it would automatically handle filling in the blanks with interpolation or something?

Anyone happen to know how to do this or at least where to start looking in OpenGL?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
A typical way to encode this data visually is to use a displacement map. Pick two channels from of red, green, blue, and encode the displacement as a range from -N to N into a 0 to 255 pixel value.

Because HTML5/Canvas/WebGL is all the rage, you can examples of these new filters by Googling and appending "js", like so. It's fairly easy to write a shader for.

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

A typical way to encode this data visually is to use a displacement map. Pick two channels from of red, green, blue, and encode the displacement as a range from -N to N into a 0 to 255 pixel value.

Because HTML5/Canvas/WebGL is all the rage, you can examples of these new filters by Googling and appending "js", like so. It's fairly easy to write a shader for.

If I'm understanding what this is correctly, its not really what I'm looking for. I just want to warp a texture on a 2D plane.

Edit: Actually that link is what I'm looking for thanks. I need to read more carefully.

Ether Drunk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 1, 2012

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone know of something XNA like (provides good easy to use 2d graphics functions, native code, hardware accelerated, good programming language), but that works cross platform (specifically on mobile(iOS, Android))?

I've been looking at 2d libraries for unity, but they kind of seem like overkill for what I do. Unity almost does do much for my tastes.

I'd also like to stay away from flash based stuff(not an actionscript fan).

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

mmm11105 posted:

Does anyone know of something XNA like (provides good easy to use 2d graphics functions, native code, hardware accelerated, good programming language), but that works cross platform (specifically on mobile(iOS, Android))?

I've been looking at 2d libraries for unity, but they kind of seem like overkill for what I do. Unity almost does do much for my tastes.

Covers a few of your points, but I've heard good things about http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/ - If you don't mind Lua it could be worth checking out.

That being said, I make 2d games in Unity with Sprite Manager 2. I'm a huge fan, and none of the advanced features really get in the way in my opinion. Use what you need, ignore the rest.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

mmm11105 posted:

Check out impact.js, it's not flawless on mobile platforms yet, but I'm enjoying it.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Azazel posted:

Covers a few of your points, but I've heard good things about http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/ - If you don't mind Lua it could be worth checking out.

That being said, I make 2d games in Unity with Sprite Manager 2. I'm a huge fan, and none of the advanced features really get in the way in my opinion. Use what you need, ignore the rest.

First one look OK.

I would just use unity, but for the games I make I'm not a big fan of the object with script attached methods. Would rather have a traditional system of classes and code and a game loop (XNA style).

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 2, 2012

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

mmm11105 posted:

I've never tried using it, but monogame aims to be an XNA clone that produces portable code.

monogame posted:

MonoGame is an Open Source, OpenGL implementation of the Microsoft XNA 4 Framework. Our goal is to allow XNA developers on Windows & Windows Phone to port their games to the iOS / Android / Mac OS X, Linux and later this year PlayStation Suite and Windows Metro.

It must be fairly far along as it was used to port Basion to Linux for the Humble Indy Bundle.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
What would you guys recommend for learning unity? It seems daunting to start in.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Along that topic, what are some good game development blogs and/or websites?

Not really for beginner game development. Just some good reads you can learn from.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

TJChap2840 posted:

Along that topic, what are some good game development blogs and/or websites?

Not really for beginner game development. Just some good reads you can learn from.

http://gafferongames.com/
http://realtimecollisiondetection.net/blog/
http://msinilo.pl/blog/
http://flohofwoe.blogspot.com/

http://procworld.blogspot.com/ <- favorite to watch

Those are some of the ones I know of.
Most are not really kept up to date or anything. Seems most people have taken to twitter. So I follow a bunch of people on there.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

mmm11105 posted:

What would you guys recommend for learning unity? It seems daunting to start in.

From what I remember, their platformer tutorial - at least I think that was the one - was a really good overview of the Unity way of doing things. No idea for 2d-specific stuff though.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Can anyone help me with loading animated GIFs with their palettes intact into Pygame using PIL?

I'm trying to do this for a retro project so I can manually change palettes later but it's strange.

The project is here, it's fairly well commented and very very short, bare minimum to demonstrate the problem:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0l19mfv3addnb82

pil.py is some functions to help with loading GIFs I've edited together from various resources and someone's blog, but there's some really strange bug I can't work out what's happening. I can load the palette from the first frame and set each frame to use it, or I can load the palette from each frame and set each frame to use its own. I can load one image and it will only work the first way, I can load another and it will only work the second way, and some won't work either way. I don't get it. I saved two of them with photoshop and one was downloaded from the internet, they're commented which ones are which.

You'll see what the problem is when you run main.py

You'll need Pygame and PIL, I used python 2.6 but it should work with more. Thanks in advance if anyone helps!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Does anyone have any good sources for placeholder art assets, especially 3d skeletal animations for humanish characters? Public domain preferred, but not necessary.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

mmm11105 posted:

Someone in this thread turned me onto LibGDX and I've since become a convert. It ticks all the boxes for 2D game dev and after battling with Unity for ages, it just feels so good to use a 2D specific physics engine.

The documentation is pretty lovely but if you don't mind digging around, it's a very rewarding engine to work with. It definitely supports to Android and I -think- there is a wrapper out there for converting the applets to iOS but I may be wrong.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

mmm11105 posted:

I'd read the intro docs to learn the basics of it, then I'd just start trying poo poo out in the editor while look at the examples.
Atleast that's what I've been doing to learn while porting a game using Unity at work.

ninja edit: btw, I'm using Sprite Manager 2 for 2d stuff. It's a neat tool, but if I could go back in time I'd probably try using 2d Toolkit.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Hanpan posted:

Someone in this thread turned me onto LibGDX and I've since become a convert. It ticks all the boxes for 2D game dev and after battling with Unity for ages, it just feels so good to use a 2D specific physics engine.

The documentation is pretty lovely but if you don't mind digging around, it's a very rewarding engine to work with. It definitely supports to Android and I -think- there is a wrapper out there for converting the applets to iOS but I may be wrong.

That looks real cool - shame it has no iOS support but I could live with that. I'll try it out sometime. Anyone have experience with cocos2d-x? I already know a little c++, and it seems to support iOS, Android, PC, Linux, Metro and even QNX.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Cream_Filling posted:

Does anyone have any good sources for placeholder art assets, especially 3d skeletal animations for humanish characters? Public domain preferred, but not necessary.

There's the CMU mocap database: http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/ however they use uncommon file formats so you might have to do some conversions.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SAHChandler posted:

There's the CMU mocap database: http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/ however they use uncommon file formats so you might have to do some conversions.

Thanks. Not quite what I'm looking for, though, in that it looks like sort of raw data that has to be converted and editied into usable assets.

I appreciate it, but I'll probably go with plan B, which is ripping content from a commercial game. I just want to prototype stuff using a pre-made model/animation set. Hopefully the conversion or decompiling or whatever for the model files won't totally scramble everything.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Can anyone point me in the direction of materials/articles regarding latency/lag/timers/cheating in browser games?

An example being if two users were both presented with a button they had to click and raced to click it. I would like to accommodate for any latency differences and prevent cheating if possible.

Thanks a lot.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
If I have a large tilemap and the player's view is only a portion of that tilemap, what is the easiest way to move the tilemap based on the player's movements? Redraw the tiles as they appear? If that is correct, what is the best, most efficient way for that?

Razzek
Jun 6, 2012

TJChap2840 posted:

If I have a large tilemap and the player's view is only a portion of that tilemap, what is the easiest way to move the tilemap based on the player's movements? Redraw the tiles as they appear? If that is correct, what is the best, most efficient way for that?

I'm in a similar situation. What I've done is split the world into grids. I display 5x5 grids (can be whatever you want, 3x3 whatever) around the character and whenever the the character gets close to viewing the void outside of the rendered 5x5, I recenter the character in a new 5x5. Creating an illusion that the player is continually walking across the world.

I don't know if that's the correct way to do it... but I can walk across a map the size of the Europe without fps dropping.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo.

There's been a Unreal Engine 4 trailer and Devkit walkthrough released.

I'm having way too intense feelings for what it is. I'm so happy. I can't wait to use it.

Here's a trailer to see it pushed to its limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZmRt8gCsC0&hd=1

Here's a walkthrough of the new UDK (really REALLY good):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8&hd=1

To sum up a few cool features in the videos: Support for GPU particles (ie millions of particles at once with little to no lag), bounced real-time lighting (!), instant playing in the editor (!!!), real-time debugging through the editor, and tons more.

Edit: Also remember that there's no UnrealScript anymore, only C++, thank god.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 8, 2012

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jewel posted:

To sum up a few cool features in the videos: Support for GPU particles (ie millions of particles at once with little to no lag), bounced real-time lighting (!), instant playing in the editor (!!!), real-time debugging through the editor, and tons more.
Most of which being because they went to a fully deferred rendering scheme! Which is totally freaking cool.

I really wish they would have talked more about that, though. I want to know how they're handling transparencies. That both demos more or less completely avoided them has me wondering if that's a sore spot for them, now.