Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ya there is a lot of common ancestry combined with evolutionary pressure for what works best. There are American Indian hip throws, hieroglyphics of Egyptians throwing jabs. Things just work.

It's hard to really trace things in a detailed way since a lot of fighting related stuff was never written down but just taught culturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Alexander the Great left scattered soldiers all over the globe that needed to make some money. A good deal of them wrassled, meaning Greek influence over unarmed combat got shared throughout Eurasia. Combine this with Asian people breaking in the same way that Europeans do, and a millennium, and you end up with jiu jiutsu.

But not much was written down, so yeah, good luck tracing stuff. The first WMA manual stems from around the 13th century, and I don't know of any unarmed stuff before then.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Coinciding with my upcoming increase in sparring, I want a cup.

I know that Christoff had recommended the Shock Doctor cup awhile back ( seems like everyone at my gym also recommends the shock doctor ones with gel lining ), so I'll probably get one of them, my question is if anyone has used either of these:

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/ultra-carbon-flex-cup.aspx ( the Lamborghini of cups )

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/titan-alloy-flex-cup.aspx ( STAINLESS STEEL?? )

I've used lovely generic ones before and haven't bought a cup since because they are so uncomfortable. I'm willing to pay a premium to protect my junk.

Anyone had experience with a Compression short w/ cup combo? I know that an actual jock strap would be a more precise fit but honestly just wearing one ( the strap ) makes me uncomfortable. I'd much rather have a short w/ a pocket in front but I suppose then I have to accept it might not be a perfect fit/positioning. Of course maybe I haven't tried the right jock strap either.

HELP ME SAVE MY BALLS

I like the compression short with the cup, as I feel it doesn't shift around as much as the jock would (I don't know though, all I've ever known is the compression shorts).

I rock a bio-flex cup (http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx) and the thing fits great, and feels pretty great too. Aside from a few positions, I forget that I'm wearing the drat thing. Except for when I forget it at home, and then I feel naked without it.

Take with a grain of salt, I grapple, so I don't to a ton of kicking with it on.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I would like God or science to explain why the body's natural reaction to stress is to get really tired accomplishing nothing.

I don't think we're built to fight. I always got the impression that we evolved big brains because we were bad at everything else, except for maybe long-distance running (which is why we sweat). I can't imagine paleolithic man picking fights with bears.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

I would like God or science to explain why the body's natural reaction to stress is to get really tired accomplishing nothing.

This isn't my field but my understanding is the reason we get so tired is due to an adrenalin dump. In a fight of flight situation faced by cave men the total fight would be over very fast. We needed as much energy as possible to either smash someone with a rock or run off and hide, three rounds of three minutes isn't what we evolved for.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I don't think we're built to fight. I always got the impression that we evolved big brains because we were bad at everything else, except for maybe long-distance running (which is why we sweat). I can't imagine paleolithic man picking fights with bears.

Which is why weapons came into play so quickly. drat hands and shoulders should have been made for punching!!!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I guess I do last the first round pretty well so three minutes of stamina before you just dump. Long enough for some rock bashing.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 2, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I wonder what a humanoid genetically designed for fighting would look like.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Bohemian Nights posted:

I wonder what a humanoid genetically designed for fighting would look like.

Something like this.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Ya there is a lot of common ancestry combined with evolutionary pressure for what works best. There are American Indian hip throws, hieroglyphics of Egyptians throwing jabs. Things just work.

It's hard to really trace things in a detailed way since a lot of fighting related stuff was never written down but just taught culturally.

Look at young children/bullies. How do they fight? Tackle/takedown, mount and Ground and Pound.

It is the most effective, easiest and quickest way to dominate someone in a fight, and even children do it instinctively. As grappler/fighters we train to be really good at just that: beating people up like a little kid. It has always worked, and it still does.

I think our minds have evolved to recognize that strategy early on/automatically

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Syphilis Fish posted:

Look at young children/bullies. How do they fight? Tackle/takedown, mount and Ground and Pound.

It is the most effective, easiest and quickest way to dominate someone in a fight, and even children do it instinctively. As grappler/fighters we train to be really good at just that: beating people up like a little kid. It has always worked, and it still does.

I think our minds have evolved to recognize that strategy early on/automatically

I think the actual instinctive fight strategy that's pre-built in our minds is: hit the guy over the head with a big stick when he's not looking, and preferably bring a bunch of friends along in case he does turn back. Which ties neatly into the "we weren't made for fighting" discussion. We were successful as a species not because of intelligence alone, but because of it combined with strength in numbers, which leads to teamwork. The way kids fight is having friends by their side.

Man, now I really want to see what a chimpanzee unarmed 1-on-1 looks like. Meanwhile, have some jiu jitsu anteaters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6U3O2xWZNc Marcelo Garcia has nothing on our furred friends here.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

I think the actual instinctive fight strategy that's pre-built in our minds is: hit the guy over the head with a big stick when he's not looking, and preferably bring a bunch of friends along in case he does turn back. Which ties neatly into the "we weren't made for fighting" discussion. We were successful as a species not because of intelligence alone, but because of it combined with strength in numbers, which leads to teamwork. The way kids fight is having friends by their side.

Man, now I really want to see what a chimpanzee unarmed 1-on-1 looks like. Meanwhile, have some jiu jitsu anteaters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6U3O2xWZNc Marcelo Garcia has nothing on our furred friends here.

In a 1 on 1 situation obviously, not a multiple people on 1 situation. The context of this thread deals/suggests one on one situations primarily.

gurgerus
May 27, 2012

by T. Smith
Can anyone help me with a decision?

There's this mma gym I went to that give a free 30day trial but it turns out they cost $150/month. There's another gym that has boxing, muay thai, and BJJ classes and got great reviews. They charge $90 a month.

Which one would you say is better if being well rounded is one of my concerns?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Link their websites at least?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya link the websites or give us instructor name/pedigrees. Is the mma gym just offering mma or do they have striking grappling only classes as well.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

gurgerus posted:

Can anyone help me with a decision?

There's this mma gym I went to that give a free 30day trial but it turns out they cost $150/month. There's another gym that has boxing, muay thai, and BJJ classes and got great reviews. They charge $90 a month.

Which one would you say is better if being well rounded is one of my concerns?

This doesn't seem to be a difficult choice. Just go and check out the $90 one and if it's not awful, save yourself $60 a month.

My gym costs $100 a month, plus $100 for sparring (3-4 people class, very well supervised by a professional fighter who still holds a title) plus I pay her $100 a week for a one hour PT session. It's expensive ($150/week is what I'm paying at the moment) but I get so much out of it that it's worth it.

gurgerus
May 27, 2012

by T. Smith
Well they both have well qualified instructors who compete themselves in matches. The mma gym is focused more on bjj but they also offer kickboxing in addition to mma classes.

the cheaper one has these separate specified classes for striking and for grappling, but they don't have a generalized mma class. Is that a big deal? That's really the main reason I might want to go for the mma gym even though the cheaper one also has more and better reviews on yelp and a better designed website. I'll check it out next week though, but I just wanted your opinions on how much I'll be missing out on if I join a gym that doesn't have an mma class.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We can't really help you unless you give us a website for each.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well I just signed up for my first month here. Orientation was fine, and there were some dudes practicing for some upcoming ufc fights at the time. It felt very no nonsense and I'm excited to start on the boxing basics. Now to get gear.

Is there anything particular a complete newbie should be aware of when starting out?

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.
I just moved to LA and I'm looking to get back into muay thai. I did it for a few months in Korea and really enjoyed it.

I haven't had access to mt since returning to the states so I've just been doing fitness kickboxing.

All that said, do you SoCal cool dudes have any gym recommendations? Right now, I'd be fine with any location in LA/SFV/Pasadena/Culver.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Cyphoderus posted:

They're wearing wrestling singlets :3:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well I just signed up for my first month here. Orientation was fine, and there were some dudes practicing for some upcoming ufc fights at the time.

Are they actual UFC fighters or were they training for some upcoming MMA fights?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes actual UFC fights. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the people I was meeting and didn't catch their names.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Hey Martial Arts goons. I've recently become unfat (I think I'm what the the W&W and martial arts goons call skinny-fat at the moment) and decided Martial arts would be a fun way to tone up and also learn how to hit/hug people as a bonus.

There are not a lot of options here though I'm gonna check out a local krav maga place next week: http://charlestonkravmaga.com/

Was also gonna look into a MT place:
http://www.crescentfitness.com/default.html

And finally an Aikido place:
http://www.suenaka.com/

I am not really sure what's for me so I was gonna try out a whole bunch and see if anything really fit. Do any of these places scream out to you more qualified "in the know" goons as really good/bad? The Aikido trainer guy seems really legit and has a impressive resume. While the rest seem kind of "well this guy/girl fought a lot I guess" though I'm really green so I don't know. :)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Blooshoo posted:

Hey Martial Arts goons. I've recently become unfat (I think I'm what the the W&W and martial arts goons call skinny-fat at the moment) and decided Martial arts would be a fun way to tone up and also learn how to hit/hug people as a bonus.

There are not a lot of options here though I'm gonna check out a local krav maga place next week: http://charlestonkravmaga.com/

I am not really sure what's for me so I was gonna try out a whole bunch and see if anything really fit. Do any of these places scream out to you more qualified "in the know" goons as really good/bad? The Aikido trainer guy seems really legit and has a impressive resume. While the rest seem kind of "well this guy/girl fought a lot I guess" though I'm really green so I don't know. :)

You have the right mindset there: go to at least a class in every one of them and see what really "clicks" with you. Even disregarding instruction quality, those are three martial arts that are very different in how they approach theory, technique, training and sparring. You should see which approach suits you best. If your priority is getting fit, I believe muay thai is the best one, though I think the more traditional krav maga trainers place a lot of emphasis on conditioning (I tried a krav maga place once and half the class time was dedicated to pure exercise).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Blooshoo posted:

Do any of these places scream out to you more qualified "in the know" goons as really good/bad?

Muay thai is probably the best of those three.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Blooshoo posted:

Just don't say "tone up" in w&w or they'll have a collective aneurysm. I'd check out that MT place, looks like they've got pretty flexible pay as you go pricing (so if it sucks you've lost very little) and a real focus on conditioning which would be right up your alley.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Syphilis Fish posted:

I think your conclusion doesn't follow from the premise. Do bullies (untrained, inexperienced little kids) tend to naturally double leg, mount then ground and pound? Yes, for sure. But does that mean their method is the most effective, easiest or quickest way to dominate a fight? Hell no.

Takedown>Mount>GnP is a great way to use a size and strength advantage against an untrained, prone opponent, because they'll just cover up and lie there while you rain down punches on them. But the easiest, most effective, and quickest way to dominate a fight IMO is to choke them out, and that's why we train.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes actual UFC fights. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the people I was meeting and didn't catch their names.

Okay, well what we would usually do in this thread is compare the fight records of the teachers, search the websites for red flags that say they might be a mcdojo or have a bad atmosphere, look for reviews of both schools by former students etc. We can't really offer any advice from the information you've given us.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Okay, well what we would usually do in this thread is compare the fight records of the teachers, search the websites for red flags that say they might be a mcdojo or have a bad atmosphere, look for reviews of both schools by former students etc. We can't really offer any advice from the information you've given us.

It's AMC Pankration. Matt Hume runs it and Mighty Mouse trains there. It's legit.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Syphilis Fish posted:

CivilDisobedience posted:

I think your conclusion doesn't follow from the premise. Do bullies (untrained, inexperienced little kids) tend to naturally double leg, mount then ground and pound? Yes, for sure. But does that mean their method is the most effective, easiest or quickest way to dominate a fight? Hell no.

You know maybe it's just me, but out of all the years I was bullied I never once had someone even attempt a double leg, single leg, or takedown of any sort.

Shoving? Yes. Grabbing and pushing? Yes. Getting pushed into an object or having something thrown at you? Sure. Any of the above with punches and kicks? Yeah. Actually trying to throw or takedown or even a takedown? No.

Most of any kind of 'striking' done to me while I was prone on the ground was kicking/stomping.

Then again, things like popular culture change significantly over time, especially with UFC on television all the time these days. So maybe I'm wrong after all....but I doubt it.

CivilDisobedience posted:

Takedown>Mount>GnP is a great way to use a size and strength advantage against an untrained, prone opponent, because they'll just cover up and lie there while you rain down punches on them. But the easiest, most effective, and quickest way to dominate a fight IMO is to choke them out, and that's why we train.

Now as for the last comment you made, about choking the other guy out is the fastest way to dominate a fight. Again I disagree. Choking someone out is generally the fastest way to end things, if you can get it.

However positional control combined with just utterly shutting the opponent down and keeping them from using their limbs effectively I think does a better job. Usually this is done prior to getting any submission.

Not letting an opponent go where they want, not letting them reach what they want, not letting a person do what they intend to do is pretty much the definition of dominance.

I think it's easier for us weaker folks to maintain a pin or other positional control, then it is to really fight to be able to sink that choke. (But this might just be my opinion cause I'm terrible at finishing submissions even after practicing BJJ for a while.)

Or better yet, just stand up while the other guy is still on the ground. Call the cops, if they try to get back up put them back on the ground while they transition. (Disengage, rengage, repeat.) But this strategy this won't win you any BJJ tournaments or MMA fights.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
I'd usually shove bullies back if they started shoving me, and then get tackled. Can't disagree with your definition of dominance, but I think it's more efficient to deny by taking a person's back so they can't reach me, and from there the choke is just a move away.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm on track to get a significant raise later on this month, and I'm considering getting back into martial arts after a long hiatus from them. I was thinking about taking up Krav Maga in Washington, DC, and it seems like the only game in town is (fittingly enough) Krav Maga DC. Does anyone have any experience with these guys, or point me towards something better if it exists? My goals here are mostly to learn self defense and improve my fitness.

I'm about 5'11" and weigh 180 or so, I lift weights and mountain bike fairly frequently. I studied a Japanese form of jujutsu for about a year and did BJJ for about six months when I was in graduate school.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I'm proud to say that after 8 years of jiu-jitsu I've finally achieved something credible. I am now a blue belt promoted under Keith Owen, and I can't tell you how good that feels. The testing was 2 hours of the hardest physical challenge I've ever been put through (and I'd be considered an extremely fit athlete by layman's standards). Before we were required to demonstrate the 100 techniques, we were put through a physical endurance test. The sprawls, mountain climbers, running in place, and ab bridges were of no consequence to me. I felt like I could do those cardio exercises all day, but I was mentally broken by the pushups. He had us hold a half-way pushup for a minute and a half, and then do 50 pushups. I got to 30 before I collapsed, pushed myself up for 5 more, collapsed, pushed myself up for 3 more and collapsed again.

The fact that the test was as hard as it was contributed a lot to how rewarded I feel for having come through it.

The next day we had a 5-hour seminar with Keith and James Foster. It seems to me that anytime you have a seminar with two high-level black belts that it's the little details you pick up on that really make the biggest difference in your game. It's things like the positioning of your feet, and the ability to control diagonally opposite shoulders/hips that really opened my eyes.

Anybody considering attending a seminar with either of these instructors, I'd highly recommend it.

On a side note, I saw one of the most impressive things I've ever seen out of a 250 pound man from James Foster. He was free-rolling with one of our higher level students, and this student happens to be a leg-lock specialist. He attacked James' leg right away attempting to pull off a rolling kneebar. With one of his legs caught in the tangle, and the other leg pointed directly up in the air... he walked around the mats on his hands! He didn't panic or try to pull his leg out right away... he just calmly moved around in this bizarre handstand position until he was able to get his leg free. I've never seen anything like that from a man so big!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
8 years and a two hour test for a blue belt? Rank inflation is a real thing, but that's as ridiculous as a 6 year old getting a black belt in TKD, just on the other end of the scale.

Congrats though. That sounds pretty hardcore.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

I've only been with this instructor for a year. There's a 100 class minimum in order to be eligible to test. The rest of my time has been a couple different instructors and training partners for both mma and no-gi jiu-jitsu, but none of that really counts. So I have been accused of sandbagging by claiming to be a white belt after so long, but I had never earned the belt level.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats Kumo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kumo Jr. posted:

I've only been with this instructor for a year. There's a 100 class minimum in order to be eligible to test. The rest of my time has been a couple different instructors and training partners for both mma and no-gi jiu-jitsu, but none of that really counts. So I have been accused of sandbagging by claiming to be a white belt after so long, but I had never earned the belt level.

Fair enough. I assumed you meant one instructor holding you at white for 8 years which is the type of thing I've seen some BJJ instructors do. Rank deflation is a thing in BJJ as some instructors delay promotion as long as possible so that their students win more at tournaments, so I figured it was something like that.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What are the disadvantages of the boxing and traditional muay thai stances in MMA? I'm relatively new to striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Both are more succeptible to leg takedowns than an "mma stance" and boxing stance is more succeptible to get leg kicked.

• Locked thread