Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Middle Weight

Lucas Leite vs Kron Gracie
Claudio Calasans vs ???

Marcelo Garcia is out with an injury to his shoulder/collar bone sustained while snowboarding. While a lot of people seem to think this makes the divison wide open I think it means that it's Claudio Calasans to lose.

After spending some time at medium heavy/heavy former world champion Lucas Leite has returned to middle weight. His first and biggest challenge before the semifinals will be against former silver medalist Bill Cooper. Bill hasn't been competing much the last few years, but he looked solid in his superfight with Nino Schembri earlier this month and he's always exciting to watch.

Otavio Sousa has been on a roll of late winning some of the smaller IBJJF opens, while Kron Gracie stumbled a bit earlier this year loosing to Zach Maxwell(and being on the receiving end of some generous refereeing against brown belt Beniel Dariush). However, Kron looked on point in his recent superfight vs Victor Estima and seems to have righted the ship. Otavio and Kron faced off a bunch of times as brown belts, with Kron winning (I think) every time. As far as I know this is the first time the two will meet up as black belts and is essentially a tossup.

Claudio Calasans is my pick to win this division, but he's going to have some tough fights along the way starting with his likely second round fight against the winner of Jake Mackenzie and Abmar Barbosa(this fight has the potential to be super awesome, and if you order the stream you should make sure to watch it). He'll face another tough opponent in the semi finals probably going against the winner of Alan "Finfou" Nasciemoto and Bruno Alves.

The last page of the bracket is also super tough, and really hard to predict. Victor Estima has been on a tear lately, but he's going to have a good test against former brown belt world champion Gabriel Goulart. In the quarter final Estima is likely to face off against the winner of Clark Gracie vs Murillo Santana, which is an awesome match between former medalists that could also go either way. All the guys I mentioned are super good, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them(except maybe Goulart) make it to the semi's.

I don't feel particularly confident in my semi finals picks. Lucas Leite could beat Kron or Otaviou Sousa, but both of those guys are more than capable of beating him. I think it's pretty likely that Claudio Calasans will beat whoever comes out of Estima/Goulart/Gracie/Santana, but Victor has had some good matches with Claudio and Claudio sometimes doesn't fight as well as he's capable of, so it wouldn't be a total shock to see him lose either.

Medium Heavy

Andre Galvao vs Nivaldo Oliveira
Rommulo Barral vs Rafael Lovato
Andre Galvao vs Rafael Lovato

Former world champion and winner of double gold at ADCC last year Andre Galvao is favorite in this division. I don't expect him to run into any trouble at all until at least the quarterfinals.

Nivaldo Oliveira won this division last month at the Brazilian Nationals. Renan Vital is a solid competitor who could give him a bit of trouble, but his toughest match before the semi's is likely to be his quarterfinal match against the winner of Eduardo Santoro(who took second at the pans last year) vs Rogel Monsalve(former worlds bronze medalist).

Romulo Barral still hasn't returned to the level he was at before his 2010 knee injury, however he did take third at the Brazilian Nationals. He also has the easiest bracket in this division, though his recent performances mean anything is possible.

The last page of the bracket is a bit of a toss up featuring former world champion Rafael Lovato, Vitor Toledo who took second at the pans this year and Dimitrius Souza who won the worlds at brown last year and is viewed by a lot of people to be a rising star. I think Lovato is the favorite here, but the winner of Toledo vs Souza will give him a hard time for sure.

Galvao is likely to be too much for Nivaldo and while a matchup featuring him and 2010 Barral would be crazy I think it's much more likely that Andre beats Rafael in the finals.

Heavy

Xande Ribeiro vs ??
Rodolfo Vieira vs Alexandre Ceconi

Multiple time former world champion Xande Ribeiro had been struggling a bit after suffering a number of injuries but he looked great at Abu Dhabi Pro. This years pan am champion Yuri Simoes could give him some trouble in the quarterfinals, but Xande's pressure is going to be too much for him.

In the semi finals Xande is likely to face the winner of Tarsis Humphryes and Roberto "tussa" Alencar. Normally Tarsis would be a no brainer against Tussa, but he too is returning from injury so it's hard to say what will happen.

Rodolfo Vieira is basically the new Roger Gracie. Diogo Silva took third at the Brazilian Nationals, but Rodolfo is smashing everyone and it doesn't really matter.

Alexandre Ceconi beat Paulo Jardim in the finals in Brazil, I think he'll beat him again to make it to the semi's.

Regardless of who comes out on top between Tussa and Tarsis, I think Xande is going to be too much for them(unless Tarsis is back to the form he had in 2010, early 2011 in which case it's a bit of a tossup). Either way Rodolfo is basically unstoppable these days and the only question is will he be able to finish Xande.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Good stuff, dokomoy. I take it Cyborg isn't competing?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Cyborg is fighting at ultra heavy. He could probably make heavy, and easily make super heavy, but he's been fighting at ultra heavy since i think 2009.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Cyborg is fighting at ultra heavy. He could probably make heavy, and easily make super heavy, but he's been fighting at ultra heavy since i think 2009.

He loves challenge, and/or churrasco.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

He loves challenge, and/or churrasco.

I'm going to eat so freaking terrible for a week after I compete. It's going to own

Super Heavy
Bernardo Faria vs Antonio Carlos Barbosa
Leonardo Nogueira vs Joao Assis

Bernardo and Antonio should dispatch there first two opponents with relative ease before meeting in the first semi final. These two have met 4 times(that I'm aware of anyway) in the last 2 years with each winning twice. At last years Abu Dhabi Pro Antonio Carlos hit an awesome flying triangle before being beaten by Bernardo a few months later at the worlds(by points I think). This year the two met up twice at the Pan Ams(weight and absolute). Antonio Carlos won the first matchup(absolute division) and was up I want to say 5-0 in there second matchup(finals at super heavy) when Bernardo scored the next 9 points to mount a pretty amazing comeback. This is pretty clearly a tossup.

Leo Nogueira and Joao Assis also have pretty straightforward paths to the semi's. Leo beat Joao on points at last years worlds, and while I think there is a pretty good chance he does it again Joao could take one of Leo's feet home with him.

If Bernardo and Leo both win they'll close out the bracket(both guys are Alliance and train at the same gym). If Joao and Antonio both win they'll probably close out too(both guys are checkmat). If they don't close out I think whoever is from Alliance is probably the favorite in the finals(i.e. Leo over Antonio Carlos or Bernardo over Joao)

Ultra Heavy

Marcus "Buchecha" Almeida vs ??
Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu vs Alexander Trans

The only one of my four projected semifinalists who I feel strongly about is Buchecha, who I think will win the whole thing. He has a fairly straightforward path to the semi finals where he could meet any number of guys. Marcio "Pe De Pano" Cruz has the best resume of all the guys who could face Buchecha but his big wins are all from 10 years ago, however Marcio doesn't have any big names before the semi's so we'll see.

Cyborg actually has a really tough path to the semi's with Ricardo Evangelista and former world champion(and Olympic Judoka) Leo Leite in his way. I feel pretty confident in picking Cyborg over Evangelista, but I have no idea what to expect between Cyborg and Leite. Meanwhile on the other side of the page Alexander Trans is Europes best chance at a black belt medal but he'll have to get past former absolute champion Rodrigo Meideros first. Trans was basically unstoppable at brown belt and he finished second behind Buchecha at Pans so I'll take him over Comprido who hasn't been terribly active over the last few years.

Regardless of how everything else plays out, Buchecha is going to be a strong favorite in both the semi's and the finals. The only guy who I could see give Buchecha any trouble would be Leo Leite. Buchecha is pretty well rounded and likes to take guys down sometimes, but that's not really a strong strategy against a world class Judoka. If Leo gets on top his pressure could cause Bucecha some trouble or Buchecha could leg lock him in a minute.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Awesome stuff, dokomoy!

I started a three-day seminar with Mark Schultz tonight. Dude has some great stories, most of them ending with him in a fistfight with Dave Schultz. Apparently he learned the kimura he used in the 1984 Olympics from a Cuban wrestler at a tournament overseas.

I have literally never trained half the stuff he's showing us, but the organizers and the more advanced students are really great with the newbies. If I can come away from this knowing only how to practice the armdrag, then it's money well spent.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Thanks for the break downs, dokomoy. Can't wait to watch.

That owns, Julio. Where's he doing the seminar at?

Also, in personal news, I got my first stripe on my white belt today. Hope I get more soon.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Biodome posted:

Thanks for the break downs, dokomoy. Can't wait to watch.

That owns, Julio. Where's he doing the seminar at?

Also, in personal news, I got my first stripe on my white belt today. Hope I get more soon.

Mark's doing the seminar in Tulsa. The students are 90% kids, 10% grapplers and MMA guys, so there's a weird mix of energy in there. Pretty cool stuff.

Grats on the stripe.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm not sure if it's actually available anywhere these days, but Mark's front-headlock DVD is really excellent stuff.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

I'm not sure if it's actually available anywhere these days, but Mark's front-headlock DVD is really excellent stuff.

Watching him demonstrate that poo poo is mindblowing.

"Yeah most guys will say you can't armdrag from the headlock." *flings partner across mat* "But you can. Now practice that."

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/budovideos/status/208717574081486848

Apparently Andre Galvao's been kicked out of the Mundials for getting into an altercation with a ref during one of his students' matches :-\

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

https://twitter.com/budovideos/status/208717574081486848

Apparently Andre Galvao's been kicked out of the Mundials for getting into an altercation with a ref during one of his students' matches :-\

Andre jumped over the barricade that separates coaches/fans from the competition. Supposedly he also threatened the ref, but that parts just rumor.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

dokomoy posted:

Andre jumped over the barricade that separates coaches/fans from the competition. Supposedly he also threatened the ref, but that parts just rumor.

meanwhile rickson sits on the comp mat and no one dares say a word

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Dante posted:

meanwhile rickson sits on the comp mat and no one dares say a word

Rickson was allowed to be in Kron's corner. Coaches are allowed inside the competition area for Black belts in (I think) the quarter finals and on, which was when Rickson was there. A bunch of idiots cried foul, but only cause some brown belt got dq'd at Pans for being in the coaching area and they didn't bother to learn the rules and understand the difference.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Andre didn't get dq'd for just entering the mats. According to Kid Peligro's adcombat account:
http://www.adcombat.com/news/2012-06-02/kid-peligro-jiu-jitsu-news-worlds-2012-breaking-news-andre-galvao-dqd-worlds-wont-fi
Andre jumped the fence, had words with the ref and then had to be restrained. I don't ever recall Rickson needing to be restrained. I'm surprised no one has posted video of the incident yet.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 2, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Willing to bet that the word 'restrained' is an exaggeration

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Pretty good match right here, although some of the scoring seems a little iffy (namely the 3 points to Vieira around 5:15 and the 2 points to Buchecha at 10:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DLFqLCFqg

e: also it's gotta suck losing a match by one point while leading 9-1 in advantages :laugh:

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 3, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

colonel_korn posted:

Pretty good match right here, although some of the scoring seems a little iffy (namely the 3 points to Vieira around 5:15 and the 2 points to Buchecha at 10:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DLFqLCFqg

e: also it's gotta suck losing a match by one point while leading 9-1 in advantages :laugh:
Amazing match.

Rodolfo's setup at 12:20 was some slick poo poo.

widunder fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 3, 2012

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Gracie Barra fighter randomly gets two points while his guard is being passed and wins 6-4. Never change ibjjf

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

The score was 2-2 with one advantage each and time was ticking down. The crowd around the nearly empty mats was entirely focused on Beneil Dariush and De'Alonzio (DJ) Jackson, as they grappled for the brown belt middleweight championship. First, Beneil worked an omoplata sweep to get two points and an advantage, then DJ swept back from the half guard and struggled to pass. This match was destined to go down to the wire and perhaps to a referee's decision. DJ got points for a pass very late into the match and was up 4-2.

The crowd chanted the countdown as time was running out. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1! When the 1 sounded in the air, Beneil stopped grappling. He stood up and began to compose himself.

What he didn't know is that the crowd chanting was a congregation of Team Lloyd Irvin grapplers and supporters there to coach his opponent, DJ Jackson. There was actually ten more seconds left on the clock. DJ had nothing to do with the false countdown, but readily took advantage of it with a takedown and a pass into side control. Bam! Two points for the takedown and three points for the pass into side control on an unresisting and confused Beneil.

That sneaky trick allowed DJ to seize his first gold medal in his first try at brown belt in a major tournament. In future editions of the Mundials, there may be rules or sanctions against teams for pulling underhanded tactics like this, but for now, that gold medal is Jackson's to keep.

loving :laffo:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Play to the whistle kids

E: I love the idea of renzo calling people during matches to offer advice

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 4, 2012

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Buchecha just got a take down and advantage in the last 15 seconds to win the absolute

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Anyone here own a Padilla & Sons Gold Weave BJJ Gi? I'm trying to find a new gi since my Fuji Judo gi doesn't fit so well anymore and the sleeves are giant wizard's sleeves anyways. Plus Im getting more into BJJ so Id like two so I can cycle them in and out. It looks like I'm in the range for their A4 range (Im around 235lbs, 6'2 right now. Plan on losing around 20-30lbs, so Im still within their range for that size). How much does it shrink though is a common question, but I cant seem to find if I should size up or their size chart takes common shrinking into account. Anyone?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Yuns posted:

Andre didn't get dq'd for just entering the mats. According to Kid Peligro's adcombat account:
http://www.adcombat.com/news/2012-06-02/kid-peligro-jiu-jitsu-news-worlds-2012-breaking-news-andre-galvao-dqd-worlds-wont-fi
Andre jumped the fence, had words with the ref and then had to be restrained. I don't ever recall Rickson needing to be restrained. I'm surprised no one has posted video of the incident yet.

I have a video from my friend's phone, but the quality is pretty lovely and you can hardly tell what's going on.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
This may not help you, but I tend to err on the side of too big, then put it through the spin dryer after each wash until it is down to size.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Most places quote sizing out of the box, pre shrink. Padilla and son have great customer support so I would just email them your question.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some of theirs are preshrunk and some aren't. I have a lightweight and a gold weave, the lightweight was preshrunk, gold weave wasn't and it shrank a gently caress ton. It's an A2, I'm 5'7" and it's almost too small for me

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I had an amazing time at my first Worlds, even though I had a piss poor performance in my match. It was like my very first tournament all over again, as I did everything wrong and got triangled in two minutes. Regardless, I had a blast all four days being there. Just being surrounded by the who's who in the jiu jitsu world alone was phenomenal. From meeting affiliate members of my team, getting even closer to my own teammates than ever before, sharing our own personal jiu jitsu stories, to sharing tears with one another was phenomenal. I came back to my regular job this week and have not felt the same at all. Life changing to say the least.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

dokomoy posted:

Rickson was allowed to be in Kron's corner. Coaches are allowed inside the competition area for Black belts in (I think) the quarter finals and on, which was when Rickson was there. A bunch of idiots cried foul, but only cause some brown belt got dq'd at Pans for being in the coaching area and they didn't bother to learn the rules and understand the difference.

well shame on me then, I was grossly misinformed

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Anyone interested can watch the US Olympic team wrestle-offs at 6pm EST here -

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1452950033001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABIWNFy3k~,IsIN_i1DdxRyAPsg5Te3LZGYx9QSrbin&bctid=1676962249001

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

It's only one wrestle-off, for 60kg. Because at the time of the Olympic Trials the US hadn't qualified that weight for the Olympics, so the best guy was at a qualifying tournament rather than at the trials.

However, there is also a dual meet between the US and Russia that will be going on that should be streamed as well. Definitely worth a watch.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Colemann Scott beat Shawn Bunch in the best of three mini-tournament to take the last spot on the Olympic team.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
With last night's matches, the U.S. Olympic Wrestling Team is set for August. The US has qualified at every weight for the men and four weights for the women.

Men's Freestyle:
55KG: Sam Hazewinkel
60KG: Colemann Scott
66KG: Jared Frayer
74KG: Jordan Burroughs
84KG: Jake Herbert
96KG: Jake Varner
120KG: Tervel Dlagnev

Women's Freestyle:
48KG: Clarissa Chun
55KG: Kelsey Campbell
63KG: Elena Pirozhkova
72KG: Stephany Lee

Greco-Roman:
55KG: Spenser Mango
60KG: Ellis Coleman
66KG: Justin Lester
74KG: Ben Provisor
84KG: Chas Betts
120KG: Dremiel Byers

USA Judo has qualified Judoka at 5 weights.

Men's 73KG: Nick Pelpopolo
Men's 81KG: Travis Stevens
Men's 100KG: Kyle Vashkulat
Women's 57KG: Marti Malloy
Women's 78KG: Kayla Harrison

At some point before the Olympics I'll post a write-up and/or some links to all the US wrestlers and Judoka that will be competing.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 8, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

At some point before the Olympics I'll post a write-up and/or some links to all the US wrestlers and Judoka that will be competing.

Thank you; I don't have the time to follow the Olympic stuff that closely so I always enjoy the write-ups.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Went to my first BJJ tournament today. I had a blast and our team did pretty well. Definitely going to compete as often as I can.

Also, some dude got paralyzed from a neck crank. :stonk: They had to wheel him out on a stretcher.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat, which tournament was this?

BUY ME A CAT
Oct 18, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Biodome posted:

Went to my first BJJ tournament today. I had a blast and our team did pretty well. Definitely going to compete as often as I can.

Also, some dude got paralyzed from a neck crank. :stonk: They had to wheel him out on a stretcher.

Was this at Travis Lutter's gym? My friend that competed said he had hurt someone.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

BUY ME A CAT posted:

Was this at Travis Lutter's gym? My friend that competed said he had hurt someone.

Yeah, it was. Adam? He dominated everyone.

Yuns: Some texasbjj tourney or something.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 17, 2012

BUY ME A CAT
Oct 18, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Biodome posted:

Yeah, it was. Adam? He dominated everyone.

Yuns: Some texasbjj tourney or something.

Yep, that was him. Pretty crazy, hope the guy is gonna be ok. He said he would post the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

BUY ME A CAT posted:

Yep, that was him. Pretty crazy, hope the guy is gonna be ok. He said he would post the video.

Hope you post it. I think the dude is gonna be fine, he just got a stinger or something. He could move his legs but not his upper body, then he vomited.

I have the video of Adam's final match in gi cause he went against a teammate. Adam won but our dude put up a good fight, I think.