Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
And it took until SA for the main char to learn to swim, before that, entering water = insta death. I still remember that Driver game making fun of GTA for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ak Gara posted:

And it took until SA for the main char to learn to swim, before that, entering water = insta death. I still remember that Driver game making fun of GTA for it.

Though in those games there were awesome cheats that allowed the cars to drive on water. That almost makes up for it.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Ak Gara posted:

I still remember Rockstar's response in the mission at Madd Dogg's mansion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
GTA 1 and 2 can be had for free from http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/ if anyone doesn't already have them here.

I figure it's worth a reminder that Rockstar put them up for free download.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GTA 1 and 2 are alright if you have played them before. But even though I used to play GTA2 all the time, it's impossible for me to get back into them. The fact that it's top down and there's no decent map mean it's really frustrating. I tried to play GTA1 and the first mission told me to go to some other part of the city. I didn't realize that the city was cut up into different sections that the only way to get to another one was across one bridge that I could never find. After trying to find any street that let me across and constantly coming back to the same area ever single time, I quit playing. Just start with 3, you'll be better off for it.

Wisp
May 17, 2010

BrandonGK posted:

And before that there were people called Tanner who you had to kill in GTA3 and Vice City!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
In Vice City it was pretty much every dude from a "rival" open world crime game wasn't it? Think there were thinly veiled True Crime and Getaway characters you had to kill as well as the Driver.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

BrandonGK posted:

Please elaborate!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

GTA 1 and 2 are alright if you have played them before. But even though I used to play GTA2 all the time, it's impossible for me to get back into them. The fact that it's top down and there's no decent map mean it's really frustrating. I tried to play GTA1 and the first mission told me to go to some other part of the city. I didn't realize that the city was cut up into different sections that the only way to get to another one was across one bridge that I could never find. After trying to find any street that let me across and constantly coming back to the same area ever single time, I quit playing. Just start with 3, you'll be better off for it.

:confused:

You also don't have to do all the missions - the clear condition for each level is 1 million points, mission completion just gets you multipliers and a chunk of points towards the goal.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BrandonGK posted:

What exactly was the response again? Never played Driver so I missed the reference.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Cliff Racer posted:

What exactly was the response again? Never played Driver so I missed the reference.

During the mission to steal the rhyme book from his mansion you come across somebody playing a videogame who'll yell "Tanner you suck rear end".

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

UnknownMercenary posted:

During the mission to steal the rhyme book from his mansion you come across somebody playing a videogame who'll yell "Tanner you suck rear end".

He also says "how could Refractions mess up so bad?", which is making fun of the devs (Reflections interactive).

And in Driv3r you could hunt down and kill Timmy Vermicelli, a guy in a conspicuously 80s Hawaiian shirt and water wings (because the GTA protags couldn't swim).

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Farbtoner posted:

He also says "how could Refractions mess up so bad?", which is making fun of the devs (Reflections interactive).

And in Driv3r you could hunt down and kill Timmy Vermicelli, a guy in a conspicuously 80s Hawaiian shirt and water wings (because the GTA protags couldn't swim).

Too bad a swimming protagonist was probably the only thing it had over GTA. That NPC wasn't kidding. I was looking forward to Driv3r almost as much as I was for San Andreas. Talk about a disappointment.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
gently caress i keep flipping the cars and trucks in GTA3, they so drat light and so many hills all over the place. gently caress!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Supeerme posted:

gently caress i keep flipping the cars and trucks in GTA3, they so drat light and so many hills all over the place. gently caress!

They also blow up really fast, which can be a problem since you can't dive out of the cars in that game. So sometimes you'll flip a heavy car on a downward slope and die before it stops skidding to let you out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

wa27 posted:

They also blow up really fast, which can be a problem since you can't dive out of the cars in that game. So sometimes you'll flip a heavy car on a downward slope and die before it stops skidding to let you out.

You also learn your lesson not to go to a certain area in Portland after a certain point in the game. I learned that the hard way too many times :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

You also learn your lesson not to go to a certain area in Portland after a certain point in the game. I learned that the hard way too many times :(

But then the game makes you go back to Portland for certain missions, which makes things much, much harder than they should be.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ugh IV spoiled me. I forgot how many of my deaths were contributed to exploding cars

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite reference in San Andreas was the one making fun of True Crime where when you're doing the first home invasion, Ryder yells "GONNA DO THIS NINJA STYLE!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

closeted republican posted:

But then the game makes you go back to Portland for certain missions, which makes things much, much harder than they should be.
Bulletproof Patriot. :getin:

I'm pretty sure you were able to use that car in those missions. If not, at least it helps a ton if you still have some hidden packages or something to collect in Portland.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
[SA] I've finally returned to LS and started getting Grove Street back on its feet again. I spent too long of a time going around capping territories, and then got an alert that I had to go defend one. That brought up a huge worry: How often are alerts like that going to happen? Will I lose a territory if I ignore a call or two? I can see this being a huge pain.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

[SA] I've finally returned to LS and started getting Grove Street back on its feet again. I spent too long of a time going around capping territories, and then got an alert that I had to go defend one. That brought up a huge worry: How often are alerts like that going to happen? Will I lose a territory if I ignore a call or two? I can see this being a huge pain.

Pro tip: hop in a taxi when you get those alerts, activate and then deactivate the side mission (don't remember the PC default button) and the attack will stop and you'll keep the territory.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Bulletproof Patriot. :getin:

I'm pretty sure you were able to use that car in those missions. If not, at least it helps a ton if you still have some hidden packages or something to collect in Portland.
Yes, if it weren't for that thing, I would have just stopped at that point.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

sirbeefalot posted:

Pro tip: hop in a taxi when you get those alerts, activate and then deactivate the side mission (don't remember the PC default button) and the attack will stop and you'll keep the territory.

That's gonna make things a bit easier. Traveling from one side to LS to another to save a little strip of turf is getting bogus.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
I know that in the mission making fun of Driver in GTA3 had female running/walking animations for the character that was supposed to be Tanner.

Also this could be posted in the Max Payne 3 thread but:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

:confused:

You also don't have to do all the missions - the clear condition for each level is 1 million points, mission completion just gets you multipliers and a chunk of points towards the goal.

Looking at a map it seems pretty easy, but actually driving around I kept going in circles. It just gives you an arrow to follow which constantly sent me down dead ends and eventually to the edge of the water. I used to have lots of fun in GTA2 because I would just steal cars and drive around doing nothing but shooting people but could never actually find a way to navigate around the cities. Mainly because I was too lazy to learn the map. GTA3 is just so much easier with the ingame map and less roads.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

LA attack posted:

Also this could be posted in the Max Payne 3 thread but:

Speaking of Max Payme 3/GTA crossover stuff:

The bar in the chapter showing how Max gets his current job reminded me of Comrades from GTA IV

I know I heard a GTA IV scream from a guy falling off a roof

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Bring back bonus proof vehicles like bulletproof and fireproof as rewards. I also miss planning for a mission, and using any car I wanted in my arsenal to try and make it work. Not the scripted missions that IV offered.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

HOW YOU ALLOWED TO DRIVE IF YOU BLIND

Oh wait, that was SA. Oh well, same tier of GTA games :v:

ARE YOU A PROFESSIONAL MORON, OR JUST A GIFTED AMATEUR?

MARQUESS OF QUEENSBURY RULES ONLY, BABY.

GIMME 'EM DUCATS

I SMOKE CAUSE IT GIVES ME PEACE OF MIND

BrandonGK posted:

DEAD AGAIN?! TANNER, YOU SUCK rear end.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Capn Beeb posted:

ARE YOU A PROFESSIONAL MORON, OR JUST A GIFTED AMATEUR?

MARQUESS OF QUEENSBURY RULES ONLY, BABY.

GIMME 'EM DUCATS

I SMOKE CAUSE IT GIVES ME PEACE OF MIND
GIMME DAT PAPER

I'M RICH AND FUCKIN' CRAZY

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL

I can't even remember if that last one was from SA or not.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Them white boys had me on crystal meth :haw:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

The Deadly Hume posted:

GIMME DAT PAPER

I'M RICH AND FUCKIN' CRAZY

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL

I can't even remember if that last one was from SA or not.

Not sure which is better, remembering these lines or reading them in Lester's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgatPkIgHg

:allears:

E:

GIMME 'AT BIKE, PEE-WEE

I HATE GRAVITY

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm pretty sure that over three quarters of the lines in that video aren't even used in the game. It's pretty interesting.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Supeerme posted:

If you flip over, it's possible to save the car by holding both the back button and a left or right button. It takes time to figure out which way to turn to unroll, but it's a good feeling to unflip an upside down car.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 3, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You're just like my rear end in a top hat, always holdin' up poo poo!

What kind of license you have? A fishing license?

And of course the often heard "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEAAAAIIIAAAA" whenever I gently caress up on Chilliad.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mander Char Char posted:

If you flip over, it's possible to save the car by holding both the back button and a left or right button. It takes time to figure out which way to turn to unroll, but it's a good feeling to unflip an upside down car.

I think I did this on the ambulance missions in Vice City the time I actually finished them. That was a tense moment. That was probably the first game I completed 100% that measured it and gave you a reward, totally worth it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I 100%ed GTA3 and still remember the penultimate Level 12 patient spawning down an alley. I backed up too quickly and ran over him :suicide:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Looking at a map it seems pretty easy, but actually driving around I kept going in circles. It just gives you an arrow to follow which constantly sent me down dead ends and eventually to the edge of the water. I used to have lots of fun in GTA2 because I would just steal cars and drive around doing nothing but shooting people but could never actually find a way to navigate around the cities. Mainly because I was too lazy to learn the map. GTA3 is just so much easier with the ingame map and less roads.

I don't know man, it didn't take long at all to learn that if you want to leave an island you have to get on a highway first cuz only the highways had bridges.

I also seem to remember the manual that came with the game having these maps or maps like this, but maybe they were from a strategy guide? They seem like they just came with the game but I no longer have my original GTA 1 disk, box and stuff; just the download version:
(click for big)

While I'm posting these, I might as well post the GTA 2 maps:

(also click for big)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just loaded up GTAIV on my xbox again. Didn't realize how terrible it looks. Though this was the first time I'd ever played it on a large TV and not just a 22" monitor. One thing I hope they fix in GTAV is the sluggish controls. I guess it's always been a problem in the GTA's but it just seems like everything the protagonist in GTA games is so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I doubt it'll happen, but I really wish they (and many other developers) realized that the analog sticks are in fact, analog. But no, push the stick a bit and your character walks, push it all the way and your character... still walks. Want to run? Press this other button or tap it like an idiot! Really, how hard is it to grasp? Especially when they use it correctly in their own multiplayer in the same game.

That said, character control in Red Dead Redemption was vastly better than in GTA IV and I think it'll be a lot sharper and responsive in GTA V.

• Locked thread