Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

if you know how to powershift a manual transmission, congratulations, you're integrating functions and fuckin' with derivatives and poo poo

Yeah but like my brain does that automatically, I don't have to think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
[ASK] me about this really depressing theory I have that humans are literally nothing more than bags of water and lookup tables that spend most of their time and resources and life building up one database of i/o but actually only take action when they receive input from another, much smaller and more critical set of inputs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
no dont

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

MEAT TREAT posted:

I never used it after school :(

Really liked Cal 3 and Diff Eq, fun stuff.

watching americans talk about these things is weird because they say things like "oh calculus 2 was my favourite calculus" and expect you to know what the hell calculus 2 is. are your mathematics courses really totally 100% uniform across every institution in the whole country or what

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

[ASK] me about this really depressing theory I have that humans are literally nothing more than bags of water and lookup tables that spend most of their time and resources and life building up one database of i/o but actually only take action when they receive input from another, much smaller and more critical set of inputs

i'll ask which part is the sex allegory

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i did pure, stats and mechanics

calculus is this guy:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i did pure, stats and mechanics

calculus is this guy:

youre acting the goat more curly fries

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

:xd:

Ten thousand thundering typhoons!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

watching americans talk about these things is weird because they say things like "oh calculus 2 was my favourite calculus" and expect you to know what the hell calculus 2 is. are your mathematics courses really totally 100% uniform across every institution in the whole country or what

I'm from Mexico, but from what I've seen yes they are pretty uniform.

Cal 1: Derivatives and Integrals
Cal 2: More Integrals plus series and sequences
Cal 3: Multivariable with a hint of Diff Eq

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hammerite posted:

if you don't standardize your classes, when people transfer (which they do all the loving time) the credits they earned at your college may not transfer over and welp they wasted their money and will tell their friends to not go to your college

one thing that is very bad to do is to give any reason at all to your new school to deny credits from old schools, which they loving love to do, because it means you have to take more classes at the new school and pay them more money

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Jonny 290 posted:

if you don't standardize your classes, when people transfer (which they do all the loving time) the credits they earned at your college may not transfer over and welp they wasted their money and will tell their friends to not go to your college

one thing that is very bad to do is to give any reason at all to your new school to deny credits from old schools, which they loving love to do, because it means you have to take more classes at the new school and pay them more money

then i guess that is something we have to look forward to here as the dickheads in charge do their best to make our education system ever more like the us one

(standardisation isn't necessarily a bad thing, but your account of what prompts it sounds like a shame)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
whoops i appear to have lfposted

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Jonny 290 posted:

if you know how to powershift a manual transmission, congratulations, you're integrating functions and fuckin' with derivatives and poo poo

ffff no we don't this is like the boring physicists who try and make themselves sound cool by claiming that david beckam does aerodynamics equations in his head before he kicks the ball

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we could get real pedantic down here in this rabbit hole, you and me, but we ain't gonna. you know what i mean

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

dont get too excited, dogs do the same thing when they catch a frisbee

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

for gently caress's sake it's all learned intuition shut up shut up shut up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looooooool

im now determining the asymptote of how mad you're getting about this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hang on a bit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
RETICULATING WHINES.....

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonnty posted:

for gently caress's sake it's all learned intuition shut up shut up shut up

there's a bunch of ways to solve a problem, just because "it's just intuition" doesn't make it any less of a solution.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

i guess i'm still annoyed about being told "calculus is easy, even david beckham can do it" cos while it's sort of right at one level if you assume a lot of things it's wrong at all the levels whoever says that is trying to imply

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

He that is without int among you, let him first cast a long

Jonnty posted:

ffff no we don't this is like the boring physicists who try and make themselves sound cool by claiming that david beckam does aerodynamics equations in his head before he kicks the ball

yah, jonnty's bang on the money here. when backing up a car with a trailer attached, you arent actually solving 2nd degree integrals. its all numerical approximation

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Hammerite posted:

lower level classes are more standardized. probably a combination of the fact that we have gen-ed requirements, ap exams, and people transfer after finishing gen-ed stuff fairly often

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

All Hat posted:

yah, jonnty's bang on the money here. when backing up a car with a trailer attached, you arent actually solving 2nd degree integrals. its all numerical approximation

cerebellum, i hardly knew him!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
~my abet certification~

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonnty posted:

i guess i'm still annoyed about being told "calculus is easy, even david beckham can do it"

i've never heard this and yeah it would make me pretty angry too

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
same w/ the MOZART WAS THE ROCK STAR OF THE 1700s crap that people try to pull to get kids to listen to classical music

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

turns out people in the 1700s were gay as hell apparently??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait is that where this is coming from, is that actually something people say

if so i've found your problem

you live in a country where david beckham rates a mention

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in america, you say "David Beckham" and you get this blank stare. then you say "that guy who married posh spice" and you get a different blank stare then you say "you know, that girl who was in the spice girls and now looks like you could break rocks on her face" and you get an "ohhhhh, that guy"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

rotor posted:

i've never heard this and yeah it would make me pretty angry too

it's like, okay, i can tell you roughly where a ball is going to do when i throw it too but there's a massive difference between that and working out this poo poo exactly.

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

He that is without int among you, let him first cast a long

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

iwas
Jan 21, 2006

rotor posted:

dont get too excited, dogs do the same thing when they catch a frisbee

actually no http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaze_heuristic

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

MEAT TREAT posted:

I'm from Mexico, but from what I've seen yes they are pretty uniform.

Cal 1: Derivatives and Integrals
Cal 2: More Integrals plus series and sequences
Cal 3: Multivariable with a hint of Diff Eq

ask me about having an academic adviser who couldn't speak english and telling me to take diff eq the same semester as calc 1 :buddy:

she was eventually fired and i had to take an extra two years of college!! yes!

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Wait, you guys find calculus hard?

You know that children can do it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong: