Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

That, and gro-Upp's way of talking is wonderful. He'd like to get his JOKE on, if you know what he means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You don't have to have much depth to have a funny conversational quirk, and just because he could be revealed to be nuanced doesn't mean he actually is. The shopkeeper at the bookstore could have hidden reserves, but we're unlikely to see them.

Anyway, the fact that his success is because of capitalizing on his opportunities rather than an in-built trait (although luck is a real thing) doesn't really change the idea that he exists as a hard counter-example to Katia. If anything it emphasizes that Gro-Upp has a more healthy and positive attitude (about doing his terrible stuff) than Katia. His character is really just a way to rub salt in Katia's wounds in a way that simply dropping all her stuff down a dark hole wouldn't. I guess you're right that he's a fun addition to the comic, god knows it can use a laugh every so often, but on his own merits he's not really much but another perspective on Katia and a source of her misfortune.

Also, I doubt Gro-Upp will be anyone's friend since he leans toward a satire of the kill-happy Oblivion PC who robs with impunity. You don't make friends with that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Also the dude has a tramp stamp of himself.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Update!

Summary: ":smith:"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wrist Watch posted:

Update!

Summary: ":smith:"

nooooo :smith:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
This nail-bitingly intense. Whatshegonnado? Whatshegonnado? :stare:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, that's one way to spin out alcoholism to its painful conclusion. As someone who's seen it at work in his own family (as I imagine most folks have), that's pretty much exactly the debate an alcoholic has with the bottle before they cave or overcome. It's not even funny for how relatable it is.

I pray it's full of healing potion or something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bad scenario: The bottle is full of healing potion and Katia learns the wrong lesson from all this.
Worse scenario: It's full of alcohol and she does something she deeply regrets.
Worst Scenario: It's a bottle of poison (those are loving everywhere in Oblivion!) and she dies, sobbing, on the floor of a church.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Gro-Upp arrives and steals the potion. Happy ending! Smiles all around!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bobulus posted:

Bad scenario: The bottle is full of healing potion and Katia learns the wrong lesson from all this.
Worse scenario: It's full of alcohol and she does something she deeply regrets.
Worst Scenario: It's a bottle of poison (those are loving everywhere in Oblivion!) and she dies, sobbing, on the floor of a church.

Yeah, but most poisons only do stuff like "drain personality for 15 seconds" so she'll probably be fine. :colbert:

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
If you look closely the bottle has a faded label on it Cheapest Mead
Looks like no easy out here, either way she's going to have to face the results of her decision.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Oh man oh man oh man, is she going to do it? Will she give in and drink and wake up with a Daedric Prince in bed? Will she finally say 'no' to boozeahol? KAZERAD :supaburn:

IronSaber fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 3, 2012

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So a month's wait brings us to this.

I would be perfectly happy if that last comment of "decide for yourself" led to no more suggestions being taken and Katia handling things on her own from now on, but that's not going to happen.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man Katia :smith:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! :supaburn:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Kaz, you write a very convincing alcoholic/addict with depression. Is there anything we should know about? :colbert:

Drink it! Drink it and complete the circle of sadness for our entertainment!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
drat, my life is going pretty well and that update made me feel a little bit worthless. Good...good job :smith:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Huh, I was actually surprised by the update. And I'm also interested in seeing where it goes.
Well done, sir.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is anyone actually reading through all the text? It's all kinds of samey, so it seems designed to be breezed over.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

God drat. I'm with Dolash here, this update is distressingly relatable. Katia needs an intervention.

Given how the comic is based (ostensibly) around reader input, I'd be fascinated to see how Kaz would handle having an NPC step in and directly take some options off the table for the sake of making the protagonist's life not suck.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Is anyone actually reading through all the text? It's all kinds of samey, so it seems designed to be breezed over.
I did, I mean it's been a while since the last update, might as well get the most out of it. This is getting pretty exhausting, but I'm sure Kazerad knows what he's doing.

^^^Wait, what's with everyone's avatars?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Where is everyone in the church?

Maybe she'll give in and be about to drink, when she's suddenly interrupted by Martin waking up and threatening to call the cops, at which point Katia flees in pure terror.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Well we finally did it. We made a catgirl cry. :smith:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

woodenchicken posted:

^^^Wait, what's with everyone's avatars?

Which set? The MLP avatars, MSPA avatars, the Gunnerkreig avatars, the Robosexual avatars, or the TVIV avatars?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

A student posted:

Which set? The MLP avatars, MSPA avatars, the Gunnerkreig avatars, the Robosexual avatars, or the TVIV avatars?

there's three different people with pickle inspector avatars with the same avatar and text. pickle inspector. He hasn't been relevant since 2009.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Someone's been secretly buying those identical Pickle Inspector avatars for a bunch of people in the Homestuck thread, for some reason.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Say, where IS Martin?

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Volmarias posted:

Say, where IS Martin?

What I'd like to know is, where is Steve? I'm actually half expecting him to about to show up. He's been a jerk to Katia, and he's connected with Sigrid somehow, but I actually wonder if he of all people would have a moment of sympathy for her. He's a priest after all, at the end of the day.

And even as someone who hates shock value or over the top sadness, I have to say I'm really enjoying PA. One of my favorite webcomics now, and one I've been checking for updates for almost daily. Despite it taking so long.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Wait a minute...

Where is Steve?

Where is Martin?

Where is STEVE MARTIN?

Is this story going where I think it is?!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You know them. They are two wild and crazy guys!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yesssss the cycle must never be broken :unsmigghh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Katia did a thing! And it wasn't even a self-destructive thing!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
While I was hoping that we would not have a continuation of the cycle yet, I wasn't actually expecting it.
In fact, the whole sequence came as a bit of a shock: I had to go through it a few time for the implications to sink in.
We are entering uncharted territory, people. :munch:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Where is my saddness?! Where is my failure?! That blanket on fire better be responsible for burning the town down because I ain't here for no happy endings!

(Write the story as you please, I am still enjoying it greatly)

Edit: Oh poo poo, did she short circuit the amulet? This could be good.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 3, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Let's hope that puppy soul isn't too upset :ohdear:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

World Famous Whore posted:

Edit: Oh poo poo, did she short circuit the amulet? This could be good.

Looks that way. Just how powerful does a spell have to be to punch right through a spell-sealing amulet, anyway?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Did she somehow make gold from the booze or something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Looks that way. Just how powerful does a spell have to be to punch right through a spell-sealing amulet, anyway?

Given what was said here, it would seem pretty goddamn powerful. Apparently even master wizards can't punch through that thing.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
BOOM! Take that, Cheapest Mead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
And now, time to set fire to everything.

• Locked thread