Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Ben Soosneb posted:

My friend found an old PC Zone (or was it gamer?) from the late 90's. He lent it to me to read on the train. From my quick browse through I remember that he liked Carmageddon 2. Fascinating.

Not just "liked", he said he would eat his own arse if it weren't the game of the year. Then Half-Life came out.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/302060/features/charlie-brookers-most-offensive-controversial-and-brilliant-video-game-reviews/#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/302060/features/charlie-brookers-most-offensive-controversial-and-brilliant-video-game-reviews/

Haha that's brilliant - I grew up reading PC Zone in the 90s but obviously don't remember every review. The review of Euro Truck Simulator with its joke about lorry drivers that is very similar to the joke Jeremy Clarkson made years later and people on the left who moan about his style of humour but worship Charlie Brooker got all worked up about it without realising the irony.

Of course there's apparently a whole generation of people who didn't realise that Jeremy Clarkson has always been a comedian who doesn't really believe a lot of the things he says until Stewart Lee told them that was the correct interpretation years after most intelligent people acknowledged that.

Anyway I don't want to go on about Jeremy Clarkson as if he's amazing or anything because that would distract from the point but thank you for linking to this, it has given me a bit more fuel for my huge sneering, elitist ego to counteract the self-doubt about judging people for not being able to grasp basic concepts that I understood age 6 or 7.

Oh well the 155 iq is tempered by huge mental health problems and the ultimate arbitrariness of iq testing. Having just done a quick google search on the topic out of boredom I found this brilliant insight from someone:

quote:

But I think IQ tests Bullshit man, I mean really, all they do is test some arbitrary stuff which a culture values..

E.g.
Einstein had a higher IQ, compared a Streetwise Ghetto thief
In our Day and Age, We find that we value Einstein more
But I bet 1 thing.

Einstein would'nt know poo poo about stealing a Chicken and not getting caught.
in a raw nomadic world of hunter gatherers Einstein would have been seen as a Dumb poo poo

Anyway thanks for the link!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Well, that post is a honeypot.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Congrats on finally learning how to use the shift key.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Red Oktober posted:

Well thats a great start to a Wednesday. I saw him on an old HIGNFY last night (on Dave, home of out of date repeats of topical shows) and he was great.

I love how they've been putting jokes in about Dave on the recent episodes.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

HoldYourFire posted:

Not just "liked", he said he would eat his own arse if it weren't the game of the year. Then Half-Life came out.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/302060/features/charlie-brookers-most-offensive-controversial-and-brilliant-video-game-reviews/#

All the links to reviews are broken for me, so does anyone know if I can find them elsewhere?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

I remember that photo of him eating his arse distinctly, I never had any idea it was him though.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Metrication posted:

I remember that photo of him eating his arse distinctly

It's not something that ever leaves you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Stumbled across this glorious moment of Catchphrase by chance the other day.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

That's weird, that clip has the funny bit (the right hand) edited out. Try this for unedited https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izet8zN1vmE

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

HoldYourFire posted:

It's not something that ever leaves you.

Yeah, I think I was about 10 when I was buying PC Zone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FreakyZoid posted:

That's weird, that clip has the funny bit (the right hand) edited out. Try this for unedited https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izet8zN1vmE

Not only is this even more hilarious, it also makes you pause and wonder what minor amusing things have been stupidly censored?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Stumbled across this glorious moment of Catchphrase by chance the other day.

Still makes me laugh. The way it just builds and builds and the woman doesn't understand why everyone's laughing.

Edit: That one's actually been edited. It looks even worse in actual 'out-take' clip.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQdEY82zs0

Edit 2: Durr, I can't read.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 31, 2012

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Hurrah for Springwatch.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

FreakyZoid posted:

I'm so glad you posted this, I was wondering why the first video seemed different and slightly less funny than I remembered. As I recall one of the funny things was that in the whole show it was apparent the woman didn't really get what everyone was laughing at.

Something I've wondered is whether the person(s) who animated Mr Chips realised how this looked, and also was it deliberate?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I would imagine the animators knew, yeah. There really wasn't much reason for the "wanking hand" motion.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I think if it was revelaed in any other order it wouldn't have been as funny, so I'm willing to think it's the happiest of all accidents.

The most "charming" accident.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Like the people running the graphics couldn't have had the the buzzer take the squares away in any order they could possibly have wanted.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

dos4gw posted:

Haha that's brilliant - I grew up reading PC Zone in the 90s but obviously don't remember every review. The review of Euro Truck Simulator with its joke about lorry drivers that is very similar to the joke Jeremy Clarkson made years later and people on the left who moan about his style of humour but worship Charlie Brooker got all worked up about it without realising the irony.

It's a common stereotype that lorry drivers murder prostitutes: Brooker didn't invent it, neither did Clarkson, it's just something that people usually make jokes about with their mates, or in Viz. Clarkson would have known that saying that poo poo pre-watershed would get a response, and that's exactly why he said it.

And I suppose you've analysed the political leanings of those who complained? Mary Whitehouse types? Lorry drivers? Parents? NO! DEFINITELY LOONEY LEFTIES!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Alistair Campbell hosting HIGNFY. Thought it would be unpleasant but Ian is giving him both barrels. Ross Noble tweeted earlier it was the most fun he's had on the show.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Alistair Campbell hosting HIGNFY. Thought it would be unpleasant but Ian is giving him both barrels. Ross Noble tweeted earlier it was the most fun he's had on the show.

Ian and Ross were great, Ian especially never missing an opportunity.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I watched all of Would I Lie To You? over the past week after reading the chat about it in this thread. :) (I knew that I would probably like it, as I liked Rob Brydon/David Mitchell/Lee Mack already from watching QI/various things.)

It was kind of strange going back and suddenly encountering Angus as the host... I do like Rob Brydon better, as he seems to have a better rapport with Mitchell and Mack, but I do sort of miss the physical comedy shadow entrances that they gave Angus.

Now I'm watching through 8 out of 10 Cats, which I'm also rather enjoying (although the panelists are a bit more hit-or-miss than WILTY, in general, I find).

I just hope you guys don't take your panel shows for granted, the rare North American panel-type shows that we have just seem to be kind of garish in comparison.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUJY_8oOVI
I do find the main three in 8 out of 10 Cats consistently entertaining and funny, at least, though! It's just the week-to-week guests that aren't as reliably funny compared to WILTY.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 2, 2012

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Al2001 posted:

It's a common stereotype that lorry drivers murder prostitutes: Brooker didn't invent it, neither did Clarkson

I'm pretty sure Peter Sutcliffe invented it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That man does not get the credit he deserves. Everyone's so quick to Focus on the negatives.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 2, 2012

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

I do find the main three in 8 out of 10 Cats consistently entertaining and funny, at least, though! It's just the week-to-week guests that aren't as reliably funny compared to WILTY.

Sean Lock is one of the funniest men to grace our screens. The episode which featured Jedward was brilliant. Sean just takes the piss out of those two for almost the entire thing; when I wasn't cringing at their childlike naivety I was in tears with laughter.

I'm off to see if I can find it now.

whew that was quick: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/8-out-of-10-cats/4od#3245817 maybe UK only on 4OD I'm not sure.

edit: \/ nice one Paperhouse, I'm going to watch all of that as soon as 8 Out Of Ten Cats has finished. I don't remember seeing that episode.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 2, 2012

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Jedward totally lend themselves to getting the shite ripped out of them on panel shows. The NTMB episode with them was great too because of this. I particularly liked this

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

http://vidz.podomatic.com/entry/2012-05-30T12_05_45-07_00

Stef and Nige from Channel 4's 'Vids' are doing a podcast after a 12 year hiatus!

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 2, 2012

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Wow, I can't believe vidz will be back.
SPROUT FIGHT.

Anyone remember what the rest of 4later was, I only remember Ginger Forest, Vidz, Bits and Karaoke Fishtank. I hope that one day it will come back.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Can we all just take a moment to think about how good that episode of have I got news for you was?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Crankit posted:

Wow, I can't believe vidz will be back.
SPROUT FIGHT.

Anyone remember what the rest of 4later was, I only remember Ginger Forest, Vidz, Bits and Karaoke Fishtank. I hope that one day it will come back.

I remember a show called Love Like a Dog which was some kind of Tarrant on Tv style show with "celebrities" being given some money and then getting to choose various clips of weird tv shows to buy and watch. It mainly involved Japanese mad game shows I'm sure!

There was also some mega late night cooking show that was just one guy in a dingy flat( or it might have been different people in dingy little flats) showing their cooking prowess with stuff like cheese on toast!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going to take a stab in the dark based solely on the advertising, but I'm guessing that Cardinal Burns is the worst show ever made?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Sion posted:

Can we all just take a moment to think about how good that episode of have I got news for you was?

Funniest one in a long while. Hislop's attempts to turn every drat thing into something to needle Campbell with got desperate at times (the nadir: after seeing an ad for KFC, he mumbled something about WMDs), but the genuine tension it created was really funny. I'm guessing the extended sunday repeat will spend its extra 15 minutes solely on death glares between the two.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2012

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I loved it when Paul said "I really admire your stamina."

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

"There's a typo - it should say 'culpable.'"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I enjoyed the genuine fear of Ross' face when he thought he might be pushing his Campbell jokes a bit far.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jonnty posted:

I enjoyed the genuine fear of Ross' face when he thought he might be pushing his Campbell jokes a bit far.

Ian is never going to get a chance like this again, so the dude went in for all its worth.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Has anyone else noticed the quality of subtitles declining a poo poo-load on BBC iPlayer? I can't even watch the latest HIGNFY because the subtitles are so out of sync it isn't funny. The shows are only on iPlayer for a week, and in many cases the subtitles aren't fixed before the week is up.

Even subtitles on TV have declined in quality markedly. It's pretty infuriating. Half the time they have some sap doing "live" style subtitles on recorded programs.

At least for American shows there is a pretty solid base of people willing to create amateur text based subtitles files that can be overlaid on most media players. Sometimes they are made manually and sometimes the files are ripped from the closed captions. No one gives the slightest gently caress for British shows most of the time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't even get subtitles on Eurovision, and those are normally amazing.

The situation is pretty bad. It's most obvious on special interest programmes where it's obvious that that the person doing the subtitles has no idea what is being talked about and nobody who does has checked what they've written.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

The pHo posted:

I'm going to take a stab in the dark based solely on the advertising, but I'm guessing that Cardinal Burns is the worst show ever made?

My brother says it's mainly bad but also directed me to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nothing will get as low as the Morgana Show.