Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time
This wideout has game breaking speed but he consistently fails to catch passes which have been knocked down at the line of scrimmage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

ShimSham posted:

There's an old industry secret...

Every LBer gets dominated when offensive linemen who outweigh them by 50-80 lbs constantly get in their face.

I always laugh when I hear people say "Oh that LBer sucks unless he has a D-line that can keep him clean."

In other news, RBs suck when defensive linemen are constantly breaking through the O-line and tackling them behind the LOS.

Barry Sanders.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Crazy685 posted:

Im not sure Id want Eli Manning kicking my field goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRdP6HdtTd8

Maybe Chad Ochocinco is just a total badass though.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Cole posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRdP6HdtTd8

Maybe Chad Ochocinco is just a total badass though.

Field goals are so hard. My friend bet me he could make a 35 yarder (having never kicked before) in less tries than I could make a half court shot. I went and tried to kick some and couldn't even get the ball to go in the air. He is toast. Another friend was one of the sickest soccer players in the state in high school and he might have made one (we couldn't tell if it would have been good) in roughly 40 tries. I told him I'd let him try to kick the ball 3 times and he could buyout for half the bet right there, which is what he should do because there is no way he will win.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That's a great story.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ribsauce posted:

Field goals are so hard. My friend bet me he could make a 35 yarder (having never kicked before) in less tries than I could make a half court shot. I went and tried to kick some and couldn't even get the ball to go in the air. He is toast. Another friend was one of the sickest soccer players in the state in high school and he might have made one (we couldn't tell if it would have been good) in roughly 40 tries. I told him I'd let him try to kick the ball 3 times and he could buyout for half the bet right there, which is what he should do because there is no way he will win.

Sigh... The flip side of that story is my cousin who could in high school hit 7/10 40 yarders and was over fifty percent on fifty yarders and absolutely perfect on ranges lower than 35, no matter the hash mark. Unfortunately, he played for a coach who absolutely believed in going for it. He spent his entire high school career booming kickoffs into the endzone and nailing XP's 100% and never once kicked a field goal in a game. He was so disgusted by football when the one or two college scouts came around he wasn't even remotely interested. Fun part is that if he had played at Arkansas, where he wound up going to school, his last two years would have covered for Tejada's abysmally un-clutch first two years.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

You had me until you tried to kick a football and couldn't get it into the air. :goonsay:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Look at this mock draft. Just look at it

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/829515-ye-official-2012-mock-draft-thread-page111.html#post3022301

That's right, EIGHTEEN PICKS and an additional ten UDFA.

And here's the rational for his strategy.

A backup for Gronk? drat, they only have a second pro bowl TE there

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

quote:

I love Wes Welker as a player, but he is not an elite wide receiver. I never look at him and think he can take it to the house on any play, especially when far away from the endzone. Elite wide receivers should be able to generate that threat. That is where elite pay comes into play. The real threat of scoring long yardage touchdowns is what elite wide receivers need to bring to the table. Welker has never scored over 9 touchdowns in a season.

With all the receivers in play (especially Lloyd and Gaffney) whop can line up on the perimeter and take it deep being paired with the two young tight ends I really think the Patriots would not miss a beat and be even harder to defend without him.

Where this all gets tricky is that I believe people are mixing a great emotional story with reality. Welker is the quintessential little engine that could. He is the good soldier. He is the Hollywood story of the hero who did everything right and wins in the end. This is not hollywood.

There was a fullback in the 90's named Larry Centers who had production close to a wide receiver. Wes reminds me more of him than a Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Patriots will be harder to defend WITHOUT Welker"

Okay, someone bring me from Point A to Point What The gently caress

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

patsfans.txt posted:

There was a fullback in the 90's named Larry Centers who had production close to a wide receiver. Wes reminds me more of him than a Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson.
I just don't know what this is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ozu posted:

I just don't know what this is.

That's the only decent part of the post since Larry Centers was a pretty cool player! He almost had 1000 yards receiving (962) one year! Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with his point and the sentence itself is insane, but I liked being reminded of Larry. Who resembles Wes Welker about as much as any other fullback who ever played the game.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you use the word "elite" in regards to sports, you're probably a moron.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Its Miller Time posted:

You had me until you tried to kick a football and couldn't get it into the air. :goonsay:

Go try it right now (assuming you never have before)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Go try it right now (assuming you never have before)

And more than four feet off the ground too.

There's a reason they use "kick a (10 yard) field goal to win HUGE PRIZE!!!!" for contests.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

Sash! posted:

If you use the word "elite" in regards to sports, you're probably a moron.

How about "Elite 8" in regards to college basketball?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Where in any of my posts did I say Cam was top ten? Lets be real here Romo has been a starting QB in this league since 2006 and has had top talent around him from the get go, and yet he has ONE playoff win. The guy has done absolutely nothing, when the games matter. The guy will never take that team anywhere because he doesn't have it in him. You can have great stats and regular season wins, but they don't mean jack poo poo if you can't win the ones that count. If you are going to compare the two you should use their first seasons. Don't compare a valueless six year career to a record breaking rookie...in the end neither have a ring, but if I had to put money on which one would get their first give me the rook. When the smoke clears Romo will still be a choke artist with no ring and if he doesn't do something soon he'll have a new team.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

Where in any of my posts did I say Cam was top ten? Lets be real here Romo has been a starting QB in this league since 2006 and has had top talent around him from the get go, and yet he has ONE playoff win. The guy has done absolutely nothing, when the games matter. The guy will never take that team anywhere because he doesn't have it in him. You can have great stats and regular season wins, but they don't mean jack poo poo if you can't win the ones that count. If you are going to compare the two you should use their first seasons. Don't compare a valueless six year career to a record breaking rookie...in the end neither have a ring, but if I had to put money on which one would get their first give me the rook. When the smoke clears Romo will still be a choke artist with no ring and if he doesn't do something soon he'll have a new team.

Nevermind the idiocy about Romo, that's old hat. Who on earth doesn't think Cam is top 10?

Rodgers, Manning x2, Romo, Brees, Brady, Cutler, Stafford, maybe Schaub or Ryan?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't. At this point, Schaub and Ryan both are. It's irrelevant that Cam's ceiling is monumental.

I'm reserving judgement until Cam can do it two years in a row. I'd also like to see him improve on his passing a lot.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It really pain ham to say it but Ben...

Edit oh yeah and Philip Rivers.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Nevermind the idiocy about Romo, that's old hat. Who on earth doesn't think Cam is top 10?

Rodgers, Manning x2, Romo, Brees, Brady, Cutler, Stafford, maybe Schaub or Ryan?

Cam is easily better than Schaub unless he regresses crazy hard

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

Cam is easily better than Schaub unless he regresses crazy hard

Matt Schaub is crazy good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

It really pain ham to say it but Ben...

Edit oh yeah and Philip Rivers.

I just woke up. I wasn't thinking. Cam is a top half talent, at least.

I just watched and read Samuel Beckett's Endgame. I think it is a metaphor for football offseason.
http://samuel-beckett.net/endgame.html

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Matt Schaub is crazy good.

Good but not as multifaceted as Cam. Has subpar arm strength and is not a running threat at all. Can scramble okay and is fairly accurate and makes good decisions. Not an exceptional game manager.

I am still very thankful for having Schaub but he's not an elite talent, just Good NFL starter talent.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Guys guys guys lets remember what is important...

Matt Moore is top 10

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
gently caress all that, what a custom title!

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Alex D. Smith?

How many other Alex Smiths are NFL quarterbacks?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GNU Order posted:

Alex D. Smith?

How many other Alex Smiths are NFL quarterbacks?

There's a tight end (or was) which I assume is why they did that.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
TE Alex Smith is on the Browns roster bubble this preseason. Pretty good blocker though.

osu
May 30, 2011
I hate to say it, but I want to see Cammy Cam sophomore slump. I've got $50 riding on Ray Rice scoring more fantasy points than him.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The RG3 hype train is getting a little out of control.

quote:

Redskin Offense In High Gear; Payback Time ir Not?

So, with 3 months to go, give or take a few days, the overall excitement regarding the upcoming season is the highest its been in a long time. With RGIII in the picture, confidence is pretty high and hopes are even higher that once again the proud and storied franchise known as the Washington Redskins will once again rise to the top.

Thus far, the new leadership has changed the image of the team from being a place where over-rated players can come to sign multi-million dollar contracts [ get paid ] and produce little, to a feanchise that will demand the best out of its players, which is a refreshing breath of wind.

So, this leads me to a topic of discussion that hopefully will bring varied opinions to it.
Now, thus far, RGIII hasn't played an actual NFL game as of yet. Banking on the idea that he will be a success, and the team does make that 180 swing into being one of the most dominant teams in the league, would it be wise to;

A] Leave RGIII in every game when the Redskins are blowing out another team, to " get a little payback " on teams which have abused us in the past? Granted, experience is absolutely needed for young players, and they could take the Belichek approach of ' well, stop us' .

or

.B] Pull RGIII when we have a huge lead. This would keep the chances of him being 'sucker-hit' or any honest injury from happening, which would be a tremendous blow. Protection of a QB who has the offense running on all 8 cylinders is absolutely priority #1.

Naturally this would all depend on RGIII and the rest of the team really coming together as a unit, which we will not know until it actually does happen, but my personal feelings would be only a few teams would I consider leaving him in, but when factors of both sides weigh in, it is not an easy choice.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Psh the Redskins are a V8? That's weak. The Panthers are rolling with a CAMMED UP V10

(get it?!)

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
A tougher choice will be whether to fire Mike Shanahan when the Redskins are 2-5

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The most powerful engines don't even have cylinders!

He should have compared them to gas turbines, like in a tank!

A lot of hot air moving over fans. The metaphor is flawless.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Good luck trying to run the score up in the SB, RG3!

quote:

2012 Bills Defense > 2000 Ravens Defense
Or maybe I should say 2013 Bill Defense to give it a season to gel. We look better on paper that's for sure. I have full confidence in Dave Wannstedt to put it all together.

Of course the key (like it is with any football prediction) is that we stay healthy. If so we will allow the fewest points/yds per game and lead the league in takeaways while going down as a top 5 defense of all time!

I'd be happy with a top 10 this year.

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 3, 2012

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mods, please change my name to "I have full confidence in Dave Wannstedt"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The 2000 Ravens
The 1985 Bears
The 2012 Bills

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The 2000 Ravens
The 1985 Bears
The 2012 Bills

Well sure the offenses are comparable, but what about the Bills d?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I've read it all...

This is from a Jets fan who posts constantly on FinHeaven. First he says this

nyjunc;1064320690 posted:

I don't make excuses, I state facts. I bashed him for his poor play to end 2011, I priased him for his excellent play in postseason and his good season for a rookie in '09 and good season overall in '10. If he sucks this year i'll say so, when he has a good year I'll applaud.

I've followed this tam a long time, this is the first time in my life we have a young QB who is good, durable and I know we can win it all with. i'm not giving that up for 1st rd picks or fantasy QBs that melt under January pressure.

"crapped the bed vs. SD"- when you post nonsense like this you just look so silly, he played very well against SD and was a key to helping the team win. you just don't understand this game if you think he "crapped the bed".

LT said coddled? who cares? LT's former SD teammates hated him when he left too, many of sanchez's current teammates came to his defense.

Schaub: never led team to playoffs, gets hurt, Houston makes playoffs
Rivers: sanchez beat him head to head and outplayed him, has made one title game in his 6 seasons starting and only made it after getting hurt and w/ Billy Volek leading GW drive. has thrown at least i INT in EVERY playoff game he has played in. In 7 playoff gamesd has 8 Tds and 9 INTs(3-4), in 6 playoff games Sanchez has 9 TDs and 3 INTs(4-2)
Ryan: did you see him against the Giants? 0-3 in postseason, has thrown 4 INTs in just 3 games(Sanchez has 3 in 6 games)

but yeah I'd trade my QB for those "great" fantasy QBs

He said "Sanchez is by far the best QB in the AFC East behind Brady, Moore + Fitzpatrick are garbage time QBs who score without pressure. Anyone saying otherwise is just giving a bad opinion." This was his response to someone saying that he's just giving an opinion on Sanchez.

Someone made a joke about him being sensitive because the Jets are the little brother to the Giants. We got this gem.

nyjunc;1064320732 posted:

yeah, matt Moore had tremendous pressure to win which is why when he hd a chance to save their season he flopped but when the season was over he performed EXACTLY like he did in Carolina.

A fact is Eli is NOT elite and the Jets are elite 2009-2011

I guess the company line is about 2nd team reps? did Tom Brady get 1st team reps in 2001?

Sanchez had a million things work against him last year and still had us at 8-8 in bad season.

I'd love Matt Moore as a backup he's a not a starter in this league if you want to win, it's been proven you can win bug w/ Mark sanchez.

And the finale... when someone said "Team success does not equal elite for Sanchez, look at Trent Dilfer" and we got this bad boy

nyjunc;1064320982 posted:

what about him? he was an underrated QB, notice how many SBs Baltimore has been to since Trent?

You heard it here, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Seems like a pretty fair assessment to me. I heard just yesterday that AJ Smith was on the phone with Tannenbaum offering Rivers + conditional draft picks for a proven playoff QB who won't crap the bed.

• Locked thread