Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Rabble posted:

The stock speakers in the Shaker 500 system are pretty much worthless. I just upgraded the door units (left the subs alone) to some Infinity Kappa 2-ways and the difference is night and day. if you can spare the 70 bucks to buy a pair off amazon I highly, highly recommend it.

Stereo systems that come with cars (even the 'premium' ones that are options) are pretty much universally poo poo. I have no idea why this is the case, as it's clearly not a price problem, but it's loving everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

How difficult was the speaker upgrade? I remember upgrading the "speakers" in my Ranger and it was a nightmare. I'd had to try that with a brand new vehicle.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Stereo systems that come with cars (even the 'premium' ones that are options) are pretty much universally poo poo. I have no idea why this is the case, as it's clearly not a price problem, but it's loving everywhere.

It's ALWAYS about price. Saving $50/ea when you're ordering 500,000 units is a serious chunk of change.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Is anyone going to Carlisle Fairgrounds this weekend for Ford Nationals? I am on the fence. I was planning on going but my friend who was to come with me bailed this morning...

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

How difficult was the speaker upgrade? I remember upgrading the "speakers" in my Ranger and it was a nightmare. I'd had to try that with a brand new vehicle.

For the doors it was very easy. There are 8 screws and two Torx screws and then the panel comes off. There were no clips and all the cover bits that you need to remove to access the screws pop in and out. If you google search around you can find instructions and some videos. I have a link but not with me, I'll edit it in when I get to my laptop.

Actual speaker install was just unscrew old speaker, screw in new speaker, easy. If you get the ford speaker wire adapter you don't even have to cut the factory wires. I can't recommend this upgrade enough, it turned my muddled mids and highs into sharp clear vocals and gave more definition to the separation of mids/bass.

The rear shelf speakers are a pain in the rear end so I didn't replace those. You have to remove the kick panels and the rear seat bottom so you can remove the rear side panels so you can remove the shelf cover. Then you need a stubby screwdriver (possibly Torx bit) because the rear window slopes down over the screws. Supposedly it's not that hard but takes a long time and there are clips that can break. However once you remove the speakers you can reverse the orange prongs and install the new units from the trunk.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

It's ALWAYS about price. Saving $50/ea when you're ordering 500,000 units is a serious chunk of change.

Except you can usually get very good systems for cheap, whereas the BOSE AURALFUCK3000 is usually hugely expensive despite sounding like absolute rear end. But I guess it's about brand recognition and somehow Bose has coasted along for 20+ years on their "good name" while putting out absolutely goddamn terrible systems.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Except you can usually get very good systems for cheap, whereas the BOSE AURALFUCK3000 is usually hugely expensive despite sounding like absolute rear end. But I guess it's about brand recognition and somehow Bose has coasted along for 20+ years on their "good name" while putting out absolutely goddamn terrible systems.

In the consumer market perhaps, I'm sure OEMs offer Bose $100 to come up with a complete system and they do it.

Evil Bidness
Feb 26, 2004
Oh great, here comes a moron.
I'll be at the ford show at least tomorrow. Lava red '12 GT, big red beard, asian girlfriend, drinking guinness. Feel free to say hi.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sanchez posted:

In the consumer market perhaps, I'm sure OEMs offer Bose $100 to come up with a complete system and they do it.

For that it's going to be an up-front design contract with the goal of keeping the per-unit costs down, and then the carmaker charges whatever people will pay for.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rabble posted:

The stock speakers in the Shaker 500 system are pretty much worthless. I just upgraded the door units (left the subs alone) to some Infinity Kappa 2-ways and the difference is night and day. if you can spare the 70 bucks to buy a pair off amazon I highly, highly recommend it.

What difference in sound are you seeing? I don't like how muddy everything sounds if I move the bass dial anywhere but neutral.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Im going to have to agree. I had the mach 460 in my car for years. When I finally pulled it all out and went new everything it was night and day difference.

I got an infinity amp to drive the Pioneer 4 x speakers & 2 x tweeters, and a sub. It is absolutely night and day difference. I cant stress it enough. I am not even a "CAR AUDIO" guy. I do know the clarity between hi's low's and mediums are very noticeable.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Sure, now that I'm at my computer I can provide links and photos.

First off, the difference is mainly in the distinction between sounds. Nothing is louder at the same volume, but you can really separate out the sounds instead of it being sort of "muddled" together. As you get louder the distortion that you would get from the stock speakers is gone as the replacements are made with a glass-weave cone.

An example would be to listen to a bassy song at medium volume, at stock you will start to notice that the subwoofer and midrange will blend together and start to overpower whatever highs (vocals etc) the song is trying to produce. After the upgrade, the subwoofer will still kick (as much as a door sub can), but now it won't drown out the highs.

-----
Install instructions with photos

The replacement speakers

Another slightly cheaper but still good pair of speakers

The Ford clip adapter (So you don't have to strip any factory wires)

The stock door speakers with its tiny tweeter and paper cones :(

edit: I didn't install an amp, but if you want to boost the sound then I'd recommend it. I feel like it's already plenty loud powered just off the head unit. (the door subs have their own individual factory amps)

Rabble fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 1, 2012

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Blam! I did a thing at the place where they have the things.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is that hood aftermarket? I haven't seen one like that before in any of the press photos I've seen or even in this thread, but it's entirely likely I just wasnt paying very close attention.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

That's the standard hood on 2013's

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Bumming Your Scene posted:

What are the specs on that sexy beast?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Grabber Blue premium 5.0 manual with track package,

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 2, 2012

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Evil Bidness posted:

I'll be at the ford show at least tomorrow. Lava red '12 GT, big red beard, asian girlfriend, drinking guinness. Feel free to say hi.

I'm not Sure if I will bring my Shelby, since the wife and kids are coming along (and I forgot to register), but we will be wandering the field. I'll be the guy with lots of tattoos probably pulling my hair out and crying while towing a 3 and 6-year old through the grass.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Grabber Blue premium 5.0 manual with track package,

That's the exact car that I want! Congrats on having great tastes.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just got back from Ford Nationals at Carlisle. I wish there had been more Mustangs.
Seriously though, only one Lava Red (wonder who?), and no Shelbys with glass roofs, so I couldn't find a friend for mine. imgur album forthcoming with lots of pictures, some bad, others less bad.

Edit: Here's the album

http://imgur.com/a/yzWGk

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 3, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What manual should I get for a guide to working on my 2000 GT? Preferably available on Amazon, but if not no biggy.

I'm assuming not Haynes, because those are all lla rea esoht esuaceb ,senyaH ton gnimussa m'I

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rabble posted:

<speaker upgrade walkthrough>
drat. That's... a lot easier. For reference, upgrading my speakers involved removing the entire door panel, including the window crank. loving clips and hidden screws everywhere. It was my first foray into "working on" my own vehicle and I hated it.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I've been looking at picking up an SN-95 of some sort for an HPDE/Track car, with the end goal of possibly building a NASA CMC/AI or Time Trial car. Through a friend I came along a 1998 Cobra. The car is super clean and has 82,000 miles on it. The engine is completely stock other than a cold air intake. Paint is in excellent shape as well. He wants $9,000 for the car which has the following mods.

ENGINE
STEEDA Ultra Cool Aluminum Radiator
CANTON 7qt Road Race Oil Pan
PROTHANE Urethane Motor Mounts
DR. GAS Side Exit Exhaust (Eleanor)

TRANSMISSION
FMS 03 Clutch W/Aluminum Flywheel
MGW Shifter w/Cobra Shifter Knob
MM Clutch Pedal Height, Quad and Firewall Adjuster

CHASSIS
FMS Strut Tower Brace
KB Double Cross Super Subframe Connectors W/Extreme Matrix Brace and Jacking Rails
KB Rear Shock Tower Brace

BRAKES
BREMBO Front Calipers
HAWK Plus Front & Rear Brake Pads
RUSSELL Front Braided Brake Lines
RPW Front Brake Cooling Ducts
SPEED BLEEDERS Front & Rear

FRONT SUSPENSION
MM Coil-Over
BILSTEIN Struts Race Valved
HYPERCOIL Springs 400 LB/IN Front
STEEDA 35 mm Tubular Front Swaybar
MM Caster/Camber Plates
MM Lower Control Arms Forward Offset W/Delrin Bushings
MM Adjustable Tie Rod Ends
Urethane Steering Rack Bushings

REAR SUSPENSION
MM Coil-Over
BILSTEIN Shocks Race Valved
HYPERCOIL Springs 275 LB/IN Rear
MM Lower Control Arms W/3-Piece Urethane Bushings & Teflon-lined Spherical Bearings
MM Torque-Arm, Panhard Bar, Adjustable Swaybar
ENERGY Bump-Stop Bushing

INTERER
COBRA Daytona Sport Seats
AUTOPOWER Road Race Roll Bar
CROW Harness Belts
YMR Rear Seat Delete Kit
AUTOMETER Gauges
TAYLOR Battery Relocate

EXTERER
Street / FMS 95 Cobra R 17X9 W/NITTO 555 255/45-17 front and 285/40-17 Rear
Track / AFS Replica 2000 Cobra R 17x9 W/NITTO RII 275/40-17
ARP Wheel Studs
ABC Front Chin Spoiler
SALEEN S281 Rear Wing
PRO-FIT Linear Fuel Door
LRS Ultra Clear Headlights W/Ultra Clear Diamond Sidemarkers

Any opinions on this? Price seemed a bit high to me, but talking to other folks who know the guy the car has been very well maintained.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Rabble posted:

Sure, now that I'm at my computer I can provide links and photos.

First off, the difference is mainly in the distinction between sounds. Nothing is louder at the same volume, but you can really separate out the sounds instead of it being sort of "muddled" together. As you get louder the distortion that you would get from the stock speakers is gone as the replacements are made with a glass-weave cone.

An example would be to listen to a bassy song at medium volume, at stock you will start to notice that the subwoofer and midrange will blend together and start to overpower whatever highs (vocals etc) the song is trying to produce. After the upgrade, the subwoofer will still kick (as much as a door sub can), but now it won't drown out the highs.

-----
Install instructions with photos

The replacement speakers

Another slightly cheaper but still good pair of speakers

The Ford clip adapter (So you don't have to strip any factory wires)

edit: I didn't install an amp, but if you want to boost the sound then I'd recommend it. I feel like it's already plenty loud powered just off the head unit. (the door subs have their own individual factory amps)

I ordered the speakers and adapters last night. Should be here for a weekend project next week. Thanks for the write-up!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Rabble posted:

What happened to your toenail?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blk96gt posted:

So I've been looking at picking up an SN-95 of some sort for an HPDE/Track car, with the end goal of possibly building a NASA CMC/AI or Time Trial car. Through a friend I came along a 1998 Cobra. The car is super clean and has 82,000 miles on it. The engine is completely stock other than a cold air intake. Paint is in excellent shape as well. He wants $9,000 for the car which has the following mods.

Any opinions on this? Price seemed a bit high to me, but talking to other folks who know the guy the car has been very well maintained.

Way too much. CMC and AI need real cages, right? I dunno if either the seats or that rollbar would carry over. Not to mention not having a fuel cell. If your goal is to truly get into CMC, I'd ask some Mustang guys already running it to see if any of that suspension stuff will be usable. It seems fine to me, but I haven't read the CMC rules in a while. I don't recall you can even do that much in the lower class.

Overall, it seems to much to spend on a car just for track days, and likely not a good starting point for a specific NASA class.

And the dude can't spell interior or exterior, which is weird but I guess I won't hold against him.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Way too much. CMC and AI need real cages, right? I dunno if either the seats or that rollbar would carry over. Not to mention not having a fuel cell. If your goal is to truly get into CMC, I'd ask some Mustang guys already running it to see if any of that suspension stuff will be usable. It seems fine to me, but I haven't read the CMC rules in a while. I don't recall you can even do that much in the lower class.

Overall, it seems to much to spend on a car just for track days, and likely not a good starting point for a specific NASA class.

And the dude can't spell interior or exterior, which is weird but I guess I won't hold against him.

Oh yeah the cage isn't legal at all for NASA racing, and the majority of the suspension mods won't carry over to CMC. Most should be OK for AI though. I probably should have mentioned that if I got into CMC/AI that it wouldn't be for a few years anyways. I was just looking for an older car that I could dick around with at the track and was still streetable. This seemed to fit the bill, but like you said the price is on the high side.

If I had a truck and trailer I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an already built CMC car, since they tend to go for $6-10k and ready for HPDE or racing.

My other option has been an 03-04 Corvette. If I got that I would end up selling my Camaro though and I just really don't want to that.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Aberroyc posted:

I ordered the speakers and adapters last night. Should be here for a weekend project next week. Thanks for the write-up!

If you run off the stock headunit make sure that the little button on the tweeter is pressed in.

I pick my toenails :(

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Rabble posted:

If you run off the stock headunit make sure that the little button on the tweeter is pressed in.

I pick my toenails :(

I will be dude. Thanks for the heads up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I just got back from a week in Yosemite/Sequoia with a rental '11 V6 auto. I was actually very impressed with it, I was expecting a floaty un-fun car, but it actually handled the canyon roads admirably, especially given the "green" low rolling resistance bullshit tires. I had it down some "roads" that probably wouldn't even have been suitable for some trucks, it did well enough. My only major complaint was the transmission, which seemed to think 1200RPM is a suitable cruising speed, in any gear, at any speed. Made for good mileage (averaged 30MPG), but god drat getting that thing to downshift was a chore. Once you actually got it into the power band, it pulled nicely.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the best color.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

I just got back from a week in Yosemite/Sequoia with a rental '11 V6 auto. I was actually very impressed with it, I was expecting a floaty un-fun car, but it actually handled the canyon roads admirably, especially given the "green" low rolling resistance bullshit tires. I had it down some "roads" that probably wouldn't even have been suitable for some trucks, it did well enough. My only major complaint was the transmission, which seemed to think 1200RPM is a suitable cruising speed, in any gear, at any speed. Made for good mileage (averaged 30MPG), but god drat getting that thing to downshift was a chore. Once you actually got it into the power band, it pulled nicely.

My experience with rentals lines up pretty well with that; it's why I got a V6 with the manual.

Evil Bidness
Feb 26, 2004
Oh great, here comes a moron.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just got back from Ford Nationals at Carlisle. I wish there had been more Mustangs.
Seriously though, only one Lava Red (wonder who?), and no Shelbys with glass roofs, so I couldn't find a friend for mine. imgur album forthcoming with lots of pictures, some bad, others less bad.

Edit: Here's the album

http://imgur.com/a/yzWGk

It was cool meeting you and your family: very nice people. I got a healthy sunburn on saturday and didn't go back on sunday (other than for 10 minutes to get a hot dog.) So if anyone voted for a stock mustang gt, I apologize if I didn't collect my winnings :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Evil Bidness posted:

It was cool meeting you and your family: very nice people. I got a healthy sunburn on saturday and didn't go back on sunday (other than for 10 minutes to get a hot dog.) So if anyone voted for a stock mustang gt, I apologize if I didn't collect my winnings :)

My sunburn on my entire head makes me look like I got a head transplant...

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

My first car was a 1970 Mustang fastback with 351 Windsor motor, this was in the late 90s so I had to do a bit of restoration. Some fuckwit garage stole it from me under the guise of abandonment. They stopped returning my calls and after a while admitted that they got a salvage title for it and sold it to someone else. The whole time I had been wondering when they'd be done installing my new tranny. A few lawyers said there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it that wouldn't end up costing me more than the car was worth.

My next Mustang was a 2004 SVT Cobra. Jesus Harold Christ that was a beast. I flipped it on the way to work one morning when some bitch ran me off the road. I got ejected through one of the windows but obviously lived. The car was totaled with 17,000 miles on it.

In the meantime I've had a bunch of other cars, and for the past 3 years no car at all since I work from home and live in a big city with good public transit. But I'm moving and will need a ride. I figure my next car should be a Mustang, to break my previous curses. I could afford a GT500 but I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat paying that much for a Mustang and I'm sure the insurance is just as bad. How much would it cost to rig up a supercharged 2010 GT? Maybe that's a bad idea.

e: Wow I had no idea the 2011 was such an improvement, thanks for the heads up.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 5, 2012

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

AWWNAW posted:

How much would it cost to rig up a supercharged 2010 GT? Maybe that's a bad idea.

It would be a bad idea to buy a 2010 instead of a 2011+, yeah. The 2010 makes 300hp, the 2011+ makes 412hp. It would take a supercharger on the 2010 just to equal the stock horsepower of the 2011+.
As to how hard it would be to install a supercharger, if you can use a wrench you should be able to knock it out in a weekend in your driveway pretty easily. My main advice would be to only use the tune they include to get you to a real tuner and have it tuned on a dyno.

Edit: you asked about cost...doh. Somewhere around $6k to $10k depending on brand, type, and if you do it yourself or not.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 5, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New GT500 on the dyno (with a ZL1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBKBf8Zsjo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I am absolutely obsessed with the shelby right now.

Destroying dynos and drag strips, it's just insane.

Here's a 75-160 run http://youtu.be/6zD5mPDAMpY

The pull between 75 and 110 is unbelievable.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My favorite stat from the Motor Trend test was 120mph in 6th @ 2600 rpm, which was like 2 lbs of boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Well I've been doing a bit of searching for new (and used) 2011-13 Mustang GT w/manual and I'm just not seeing many available. Are they hard to keep on the lot or just not very common? Or do Ford dealerships have lovely online inventory listings?