Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cakefool posted:

New toyota auris brochure has leaked: auto express article

This is accurate, okay it looks like a 4 year old mazda but it's an improvement right?

Am I the only one that doesn't find the current Corolla hatch/Auris a bad looking car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't find the current Corolla hatch/Auris a bad looking car?

It's in no way an ugly car, Corollas never have been. It is however, styling-wise, just 5 metres of car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's in no way an ugly car, Corollas never have been. It is however, styling-wise, just 5 metres of car.

This is absolutely perfect. Yes, it looks okay, & will probably always look okay. But that's it. Toyota design are a bunch of :effort:

Edit: the bugeye corolla was awful '98 -> '01

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The nice thing about the Corolla is that it never truly looks bad (well, a couple generations may be an exception). Boring styling is never obsolete. I feel that current Hyundai designs probably won't age well, but the current Camry will probably look fine in a few years. You go from innovative to dated or from boring to other boring.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Focus ST will also be price-plan eligible, for those of you who have A X or D plan pricing.

I have X plan pricing through work, what is the difference from that to the A or D plans?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A is internal employees, D is dealership employees. A-plan is the best discount, typically coming in below invoice. X-plan pricing is usually right around invoice, including destination etc.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Edit: the bugeye corolla was awful '98 -> '01
Can probably also be blamed for Subaru saying "Oh, we want us some of that hot fugly headlight action" in the bugeye Impreza, too.

Funnily enough, that lasted about two years too, giving me the impression that is the shortest achievable time it takes to first round up and shoot a design team, then retool for new panels.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Can probably also be blamed for Subaru saying "Oh, we want us some of that hot fugly headlight action" in the bugeye Impreza, too.

Funnily enough, that lasted about two years too, giving me the impression that is the shortest achievable time it takes to first round up and shoot a design team, then retool for new panels.

Except the Impreza looked good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Except the Impreza looked good.

nope.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's the Subaru Time Distortion Field. All Subarus are ugly until a new one comes out, afterwards their attractiveness is a direct function of how many generations or facelifts away from the current model it is.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

ynotony posted:

BMW Zagato Coupe:

They only made one with no plans of putting it into production because they hate money.

Trap Star posted:

Can somebody photoshop the top off of this? I think it could look pretty drat good

Excuse the rough job, but I think you get the picture. Imagine there are seats and a not messed-up spoiler.

It reminds me of a weird mix of an S2000 and a Tesla for about the rear third or so, but otherwise I don't think it looks bad at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's the Subaru Time Distortion Field. All Subarus are ugly until a new one comes out, afterwards their attractiveness is a direct function of how many generations or facelifts away from the current model it is.

Hey, the last generation Legacy was a legit decent looking sedan. Same with the previous generation Forester. And the GD pre-pignose impreza was alright, honestly, even if you didn't like the bugeyes, as were the GC Imprezas, which are firmly in the realm of boring but practical styling that Subaru used to be in. The ugliness has really ramped up lately, though, especially with the awkward attempts at fender flares, horrific headlight designs, and general fatness.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Some dude on FordSTNation.com who says he works for Ford says that the ST is set for Mass Production #1 on June 18.

Also, my uncle works for Nintendo and let me play a 4DS.

The word now is that August 6 is the start of regular production. The June 18 date is for cars to crash test and loan to car magazines.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Cream_Filling posted:

Hey, the last generation Legacy was a legit decent looking sedan. Same with the previous generation Forester. And the GD pre-pignose impreza was alright, honestly, even if you didn't like the bugeyes, as were the GC Imprezas, which are firmly in the realm of boring but practical styling that Subaru used to be in. The ugliness has really ramped up lately, though, especially with the awkward attempts at fender flares, horrific headlight designs, and general fatness.

Exactly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Endless Mike posted:

The word now is that August 6 is the start of regular production. The June 18 date is for cars to crash test and loan to car magazines.

These are pretty much the same fate right? :haw:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Most subarus have been decent looking from launch. the only ones I havent liked are the bug eye and the WRXs without the fender flares. The tribeca also, but thats a given.

The new impreza/XV thing and the new liberty are pretty disgusting though. and BIG.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
We bought a 2002 Forester a week and a half ago, first gens are so amazingly attractive.

Now if only assholes online would shut up about it not being turbocharged.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Laserface posted:

Most subarus have been decent looking from launch. the only ones I havent liked are the bug eye and the WRXs without the fender flares. The tribeca also, but thats a given.

The new impreza/XV thing and the new liberty are pretty disgusting though. and BIG.

Dunno, the new Impreza is actually pretty decent and I think it's an improvement over the previous one. It's also way better looking than the current Legacy/Liberty, which I believe is the worst Subaru ever. Worse than the first gen Tribeca. In the US, they've also discontinued the turbo model on it, too.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, the new Impreza is actually pretty decent and I think it's an improvement over the previous one. It's also way better looking than the current Legacy/Liberty, which I believe is the worst Subaru ever. Worse than the first gen Tribeca. In the US, they've also discontinued the turbo model on it, too.

What's really surprising is the current Legacy is almost the exact same size as the 1st-gen Tribeca. I saw them parked side-by-side and it pretty much summed up what was wrong with the Legacy, it just got too big. It's basically an SUV now instead of a wagon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is old news, I suppose, but the new 911 Cabrio has shaping panels underneath the ragtop, which fill out the curves of the top when up. It's a pretty good idea, at the cost of some extra weight.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1202_2012_porsche_911_carrera_cabriolet/

Top up, it looks decent. Top down, it looks great, thanks to the belt line tricks. I've never liked the 911 convertibles before, no matter how cool Hank Moody seems in them.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The nice thing about the Corolla is that it never truly looks bad (well, a couple generations may be an exception). Boring styling is never obsolete. I feel that current Hyundai designs probably won't age well, but the current Camry will probably look fine in a few years. You go from innovative to dated or from boring to other boring.

I actually like the styling of late-1980s/early 1990s japanese shitboxes like the corolla and civic. they nailed the anonymous box thing well and they aged better than their 90s counterparts. the 92+ civic looks like a suppository, the EF looks cool.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I don't know whether it's because of nostalgia or what but I find the second gen Camry as one of the best looking modern appliance vehicles ever put out there.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 11, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Next Cadillac CTS. Probably still no V8. <:mad:>

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
That says twin turbo, right?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Twin turbo 3.6? Wonder if it will wind up in a top of the line LaCrosse, Impalla, Camaro, or the XTS.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Supposedly that 2014 CTS had the 3.0 v6 twin turbo. I heard speculation that the base CTS will have a NA 3.6 with the twin turbo 3.0 being a higher option, and that the 3.6 TT is for an ATS-V. I assume they'd probably wait a year before introducing a new CTS-V and that'll get whatever suped up Corvette engine is handy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The scuttlebutt on the web seems to suggest it would be a 3.0l.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the Colbalt SS lives on in spirit. The Buick Verano turbo is out, with 250hp.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/12/2013-buick-verano-turbo-packs-250-hp-available-six-speed-manual/

Manual trans. Nicest interior in its class. No word on launch control. Looks identical to the regular version on the outside.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
What I don't understand is why this isn't in a Cruze SS. I'm think it'll be later on down the road but why debut in the Verano?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

travisray2004 posted:

What I don't understand is why this isn't in a Cruze SS. I'm think it'll be later on down the road but why debut in the Verano?

I don't think there's the economic case. The Cruze is already the pretty expensive for what it is, the engines it has right now are adequate for the class it competes in. The Buick is going to be one step up, competing with the likes of the new Integra, so a top spec engine makes more sense. Buick is a more credible performance marque in China than Chevy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

travisray2004 posted:

Looks like it's installed longitudinal in this application. I don't think it'd be all that easy to stuff a twin turbo V6 into an FWD car nowadays, even ignoring the fact that GM would have a hard time selling it (both at the price point as well as the inevitable insurance premiums).

Be fun to try, though. I bet GM engineering has a shop slut Cruze that they shove each new engine into as they develop it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Looks like it's installed longitudinal in this application. I don't think it'd be all that easy to stuff a twin turbo V6 into an FWD car nowadays, even ignoring the fact that GM would have a hard time selling it (both at the price point as well as the inevitable insurance premiums).

Be fun to try, though. I bet GM engineering has a shop slut Cruze that they shove each new engine into as they develop it.

The engine is most certainly transverse and it is the 2.0L Ecotec turbo four. And I highly doubt it on your second point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Isn't the Verano FWD and isn't the 250hp 2.0L Ecotec an I4? Why would they install it longitudinally?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Looks like it's installed longitudinal in this application.

You really think the Verano, which shares a platform with the Cruze, has a longitudinal engine arrangement? I find that hard to believe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought we were still talking about the twin turbo in the Cadillac CTS up above and missed the Buick Verano post. Sorry everybody.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I thought we were still talking about the twin turbo in the Cadillac CTS up above and missed the Buick Verano post. Sorry everybody.

It is possible to fit a twin-turbo V6 in an FWD car, BTW. The Opel Insignia OPC has a transverse 2.8L twin-turbo V6 and AWD, but the base car is FWD. I have no idea why GM doesn't bring it to the US as a new GNX.

But I'll never own one, because gently caress doing any kind of service in that engine bay. Opel must own the biggest shoehorn in the entire world.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would expect it has something akin to the Audi "service position" in order to get at anything more involved than the oil filter. 8 hours book time to do a turn signal bulb, that kind of thing. :v: It's probably a hoot to drive though.

I doubt you could trivially fit it in the Cruze (the Insignia is mid-size, right?), but probably someone will eventually try even if GM hasn't.

GM is probably afraid to put the GNX badge on a new car; everyone has such wildly varying expectations of it that it'd be hard to please with.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 12, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I doubt you could trivially fit it in the Cruze (the Insignia is mid-size, right?), but probably someone will eventually try even if GM hasn't.

I'm sure it's possible.

Hell, some nutter put two VR6s in a Lupo, so anything is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1aKoNlaBWs
:psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That just makes me wonder what the Durocco guy is up to. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the internet and his site is just blog spam now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

travisray2004 posted:

Margins and an effort to increase brand differentiation. They appear to be trying to make Buick into more of a sporting luxury marquee.