Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

AlphaDog posted:

Your game is the best game, and I don't even like Star Wars games.
It's true. Normally I'm bored to tears by Star Wars, but reading about this game amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So combat operations are continuing apace once the disruption in the Imperial ranks shakes itself out. We've got commando raids happening left and right on both sides, we're capturing lots of shiny nice equipment, we're holding Imperial Center despite COMPNOR's best efforts to kick us out.

At one point I went out to have a smoke, came back in, and was informed that we had gained control of the Imperial CIC (Combat Information Center - the military nerve center, effectively). This was a nice surprise.

We held the CIC despite periodic counterattacks - this was during the period when "who's in charge of the Imperial military" was still very much up in the air, given all our previous infowar/disruption efforts, which helped a lot - and started getting tactical sensors and communications centers back online, and take control of the planetary shields. The Imperial naval forces withdrew to the far side of the planet, and were periodically joined by other ships.

While all this is going on we learn that Admiral Piett has arrived at Kuat and has the system pretty much on lockdown; the Rebels still hold the shipyards, which he could handle easily considering he's got the loving Super Star Destroyer Executor and all, but to do it he'd have to destroy Kuat Drive Yards and he's not sure he wants to do that. "It feels... wasteful."

(This means our hoped-for relief from Admiral Greenfield, the Admiral in charge of the KDY operation, is probably not showing.)

Also at one point there is an attempted attack by the Imperial Army; it is foiled because Flint (our head groundpounder) is smart and mentions that he is coordinating his response with the tactical droid aboard the Lucre Hulk we dropped into Imperial Center lo those many games ago.

See, the Imperials had produced a number of ships we didn't recognize; they looked kind of like Corellian Gunships - ships about the size of troop transports, maybe a shade bigger, that are simply bristling with anti-starfighter and anti-ground weaponry; they're designed to give you air superiority over a portion of the battlefield. They showed up giving covering fire for a large group of AT-ATs. However, since Flint was coordinating with the Lucre Hulk (the ball portion in the middle of the ship from the prequels, which as I said we'd basically landed planetside but which retains the ability to fly around and poo poo), the tactical droid in command said "Huh, can't let that happen" and promptly flew the Hulk over to reclaim air superiority. The counterattack was quickly repulsed and the Imperials fled with their tails between their legs.

Eventually we take control of the Senate Building; the rest of the PCs get dirtside. Our Admiral - who has a 24 Reputation at this point, has the Famous feat, and is basically our public face - films and broadcasts a ceremony of him assuming command "as the President pro tem of the Galactic Senate" while standing before a Rebel flag and an Old Republic flag. This led to Vancouver-esque riots in the streets as the populace went apeshit on the military.

(there is promptly a vote held to outlaw the presence of Galactic Empire troops on Coruscant. Several PCs attend and vote. Miles, my character, shows up and declares himself the "Droid representative" - speaking for all the Droids in the galaxy - and votes; his vote is entered into the record. I just created a new Senate office ("I am the Lorax, I speak for the droids") and no one can stop me because it's on the official record hah hah gently caress you there's legal precedent now. Hell, even the Old Republic's Senate didn't - as far as I know - have anyone who did that.)

(the vote passes almost unanimously - the single 'no' vote came from a Rodian mercenary who showed up and said flat-out "the more conflict there is in the galaxy, the more of a market there is for my services." The comments from the Rodian Senator pro tem were duly recorded, as were the results of Senate Resolution #1.)

So finally the Empire makes its move. A lot of COMPFORCE dudes show up; the GM describes it as "very 'Murmansk in 1943.'" As the ground troops are moving, so are the ships in space; some excellent tactics rolls later, we manage to puzzle out that the ground attack is a diversion, but we can't quite tell for what. The Imperials are deliberately putting pressure on certain areas to interfere with our Mk 1 Eyeballs - pushing us away from small pockets of space.

Turns out this is to make room for the commando raids, which detonate several Shield Generators. In addition, a starborne Battlecruiser blows up a giant fuckin' section of ground - the ground that Imperial Intelligence Planetary HQ sits on, actually - and punches a hole through the heavily-industrialized section of the planet into the underlevels below. This makes a hole in the planetary shields. A hole big enough for a ship to get through.

That's right.

The loving Lusankya.

Time Machine, you called it two and a half months ago. Several times I knew, OOCly, what was going on - hell, I knew the Lusankya was going to feature somehow when I first asked the GM about it and he said "nope, you don't know about it" without missing a single beat or asking what I was talking about, I knew it, but there was no way for me to find out without metagaming the gently caress out of it.

The Imperial Army and the people that actually merited being saved by them crowded on to a Super Star Destroyer that had been hidden beneath the planet's surface (don't even ask me how no one knew about it not even the canon is very clear on that) and then they left.

Let that sink in a bit. They didn't turn around and say "Hah, you Rebel scum are hosed now!" They jumped out of hyperspace about three milliseconds after clearing the atmosphere and ran like bitches.

....yeah.

So, on the down side... not only is there a Super Star Destroyer out there, there are two (Lusankya jumped to Kuat and hooked up with Piett and the Executor), and plus the second Death Star is about 8 days out from Coruscant.

On the up side... COMPFORCE's Field Marshal turned around and surrendered to us.

We, um... we kind of succeeded in our capture of Coruscant.

We're sitting ducks, we are massively outgunned, and now not only do we have to fight a war but we have to put together a government while we're at it - we've already declared that anyone serving in an impromptu peacekeeping/police force will be granted a degree of clemency in any future hearings and also declared that any of the undercity street gangs that restore order will be recognized as legitimate civic organizations, et cetera - but lemme tell you...

...the sight of the Imperial Insignia on the Senate Building being detonated by Rebel engineers kinda makes it worth it.

I have genuinely no idea exactly where we go from here. Leia's still alive so if we get her here we can make her the Head Politician and get back to military stuff but I think the scale of our campaign just extended yet again.

(And we still don't know what happened on the Death Star. Hell, we don't even know what happened to Lando. I'm hoping he was captured and we can go rescue him, because with Billy Dee Williams on our side we can't lose, but...)

So, yeah. The Battle For Coruscant is - finally! - over, and earned everyone involved a bare minimum of 2 Reputation (three for me, five for some of the commanders) and it looks, to all appearances, like the Battle For Everywhere Else is coming up.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

So when does the novelization come out? :munch:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

It's true. Normally I'm bored to tears by Star Wars, but reading about this game amazing.

This, completely. Your posts are a shining beacon in a sea of "And so then his rape-druid raped all of us :ohdear:"

Edit: The death star is going to blow up Coruscant, calling it now.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 3, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Volmarias posted:

This, completely. Your posts are a shining beacon in a sea of "And so then his rape-druid raped all of us :ohdear:"

Yeah, I figured that's why the imperials ran away.

Great, great loving story.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Let that sink in a bit. They didn't turn around and say "Hah, you Rebel scum are hosed now!" They jumped out of hyperspace about three milliseconds after clearing the atmosphere and ran like bitches.
I'm sure they just see it as a "strategic withdrawal." Plus with those shield generators down and all that sitting up there in the sky, I'm a bit worried they're going to try and box you in like you did to them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

One more (well, two more) bit(s), and then I need sleep.

After the battle, in the middle of figuring out who is going to have to handle what job (Miles is actually about to become Minister of Finance on account of how he's the only dude with the Knowledge (Finance) skill currently active - that scares me), we had a bit of a confab.

This is not the "stuff that happened at the table" bit of the session; this is the "stuff we kept talking about in the gaming store's parking lot" bit.

First up - Miles had previously gone through some shenanigans and got himself transferred out of the regular military branch of the Alliance and into Special Operations, which is typically your catch-all "Look, they're PCs, let them go off and do crazy PC poo poo" branch of the Rebel Alliance. Your smugglers, your spies, et cetera. Now, this is a natural fit for Miles the slicer anyways, and he's always had issues obeying Victor (our Admiral and nominal commander and the current President pro tem) anyways; my view has always been that we're Rebels, and I hew more to the Che Guevara mold than the Admiral Lord Nelson mode that Victor seems most comfortable in. So it made sense.

(in forty years droids will wear Miles' face on t-shirts)

However, there was an ulterior motive. See, according to some readings of Rebel doctrine, "internal security" is a SpecOps mission. Spies catching spies, as it were. Miles has felt that the Countess - an NPC who's been working with us and who was actually in training as a former Hand of the Emperor but who has since pretty solidly defected - could turn on the group, and if it was gonna happen, the Battle for Coruscant was probably when it was gonna happen. Plus, y'know... she'd been given overall military command (leaving Victor to more comfortably sit in his X-Wing).

So when the battle plans were being drawn up and handed to Miles for secure encryption, Miles added a trio of contingency plans that he'd been quietly working on. Contingency Trojan was the contingency plan for the Countess turning on us but we had reason to believe she was acting against her will (post-hypnotic suggestions, et cetera); Contingency Judas was the plan for if she turned on us and appeared to be doing so willingly; Contingency Mata Hari was the plan for if she turned on us and suborned Victor at the same time, which he felt was a possibility seeing as how they do that freaky talk-inside-each-other's-head thing that Force-users can do and gently caress, it's not like Miles knows anything about that, for all he knows it can be used to implant mind control suggestions or whatever.

All of these contingencies could be activated only with Miles' authorization, which is convenient, as he was the only one that actually knew they were there.

(this is also why I was insistent on him being in the space fleet during the first part of the invasion instead of going groundside with one of the stealthily-inserted advance teams)

Now, none of those contingency plans was needed, thankfully... so after the battle, Miles showed them to both Victor and the Countess. Because, y'know... it's only right and fair to do so. If Victor thought he'd acted illegally, Miles would have acquiesced to any punishment.

(the punishment: "Gimme your hand." *SMACK* "Okay, we're good.")

So that was an interesting scene.

The other one requires a little bit of explanation. See, Miles' backstory is that his family had run a mercenary company. For generations. While Miles was attending university - to be eventually slotted into the maintenance and logistics section of the company, keeping their stuff up and running - the family company was hired by an Imperial Grand Moff to help put down an uprising on some podunk world somewhere.

Unfortunately, their role in putting down the uprising turned out to be "here, engage the enemy in combat while we start up the orbital bombardment we didn't tell you we were going to do and oops, looks like we wiped you guys out too, well, at least now we won't have to pay your fee!"

On top of losing his entire family and all his friends, Miles then lost his scholarship - because now he was no longer part of a politically prestigious family, after all. So naturally he swore revenge and undying hatred and blah blah blah.

(dude is pretty emotionally broken.)

One of the other PCs had been - unbeknownst to me, ICly or OOCly - working on a present for Miles. Said present? A fully-incorporated mercenary company with attendant legal documentation, fully staffed, complete with friggin' troop transports. And a uniform.

One of Miles' father's uniforms. God only knows how he found it.

There were no actual combat ships in attendance... so Miles turned to Victor and said, effectively, "We'll buy ships from you and pay for them in service - hire us for as long as it'll take to pay back the cost of whatever you're willing to part with." Which is cool, considering the unit is staffed largely with veterans of our fighters so it's not like integrating the unit will be difficult.

That was, I'm not gonna lie, a shock and a half. I got choked up for a second, it was that surprising to me. And Miles, who has never before worn a uniform in his life unless it was part of a disguise, went off to go and change.

(My plan is to push for the manumission of the heuristic-processor-equipped droids remaining from the droid fleet we stole acquired, making them free citizens, and then give them a job offer. We've got three remaining Lucrehulks. That'll be a big fuckin' company - and they'll know full well that there ain't an organic commander in the galaxy that'll treat them as more valuable than Miles will.)

I tell ya, some of the best gaming happens after the game session is over and you're bullshitting in the parking lot.

EDIT:

Volmarias posted:

Oh, that's my bet. This is why I want to steal it.

(the GM actually said to someone this game "Yeah, the second Death Star is active. They want to steal it but I will not let them." We may try anyways.)

Kobold posted:

I'm sure they just see it as a "strategic withdrawal." Plus with those shield generators down and all that sitting up there in the sky, I'm a bit worried they're going to try and box you in like you did to them.

Well, see, that's the thing... when the Lusyanka fled (strategically, I grant you), they basically left the other ships to cover their retreat with their corpses.

This did not sit well with the people on said ships.

The majority also fled, but around ninety of the Imperial ships - including three Imperial I Star Destroyers - surrendered. Of the three SDs, two scuttled their bridges while the third is actually almost pristine because the crew rebelled and spaced all the officers who expected them to lay down their lives for no (to them) good reason.

It's not enough to make our fleet big enough to take on the Death Star, or even the two SSDs at Kuat, but it's still a nice boost that goes a long way towards replacing some of the losses we took in the fight for Coruscant (especially if we can get those two ISDs up and running again).

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 3, 2012

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

"I am the Lorax, I speak for the droids"

If you actually said this, then this is the cherry on top of a sundae of awesome. :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you actually said this, then this is the cherry on top of a sundae of awesome. :allears:

Of course I did! How could I not?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:aaaaa: DCB your game is the best game and every time you post I envy you SO HARD.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I am one-hundred-percent opposed to this vile idea of treating droids as if they were people and not, at best, useful and amusing possessions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I am one-hundred-percent opposed to this vile idea of treating droids as if they were people and not, at best, useful and amusing possessions.

Do elucidate.

I don't mean this in the sense of "You horrible person, explain yourself right now", I'm actually honestly curious. I'm all for treating them like people :allears:

Edit: it also now occurs to me that this may have been a joke, but I've been at a convention for two days and my brain is frazzled. Oh well!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Most people in the Star Wars universe will agree with you!

My thinking (and then I go away, honest) is this: Miles has only found the emotional give-a-poo poo necessary to keep going, day to day, by giving himself an Impossible Goal, namely, "topple the Empire."

Only it looks like that Impossible Goal might actually be reachable, maybe possibly, so he has to set up for a new backup Impossible Goal just in case, and that goal is "enact widespread societal change leading to the legal and cultural recognition of at least some droids as sapient beings who are entitled to the same rights as any other sapient being." Because, as Miles once put it, "Droids are better than people. If you lose a droid you can have backups or repair them. if you lose a person they're just gone."

(The aforementioned 'loss of everyone he's ever known and loved' bit really seriously hosed him up, emotionally speaking)

So, yeah. Droid Emancipation will make a useful goal for Miles in the event that the Empire can ever finally be completely ended. Because it is easier for my character to strive for the impossible than to actually learn to become a non-broken human being again and maybe find himself willing to form emotional attachments with other sapient beings without the constant crippling fear that they, too, will one day be lost to him.

Seriously, there are all kinds of juicy ethical and philosophical questions that arise at the notion of "are droids sapient?". It's not the kind of question I ever expect to see answered in-game, but like I said, it's a deliberately Impossible Goal.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:byodood: We don't serve their kind here!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Yah seriously DivineCoffeeBinge, your stories are so amazing. I wish that my Star Wars games could go like that.

Kudos to you and your crew. I hope they know how special your stories are to us.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
You Sir, DivineCoffeeBinge have inspired my current roleplaying group to start up a new Star Wars D20 campaign. Its only three players and a DM, but I believe it will be quite fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adelheid Stark posted:

So when does the novelization come out? :munch:

No poo poo. I mean, Lucasartsfilmwhatever would never be down for it, but weren't all of Timothy Zahn's big characters from his gaming days?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The majority also fled, but around ninety of the Imperial ships - including three Imperial I Star Destroyers - surrendered. Of the three SDs, two scuttled their bridges while the third is actually almost pristine because the crew rebelled and spaced all the officers who expected them to lay down their lives for no (to them) good reason.

It's not enough to make our fleet big enough to take on the Death Star, or even the two SSDs at Kuat, but it's still a nice boost that goes a long way towards replacing some of the losses we took in the fight for Coruscant (especially if we can get those two ISDs up and running again).

As nice as ISDs are, an Executor class SSD has literally 100 times the firepower, not to mention that each is going to come with its own flotilla of SDs and frigates.

If three SDs go a long way towards reconstituting your fleet, you are boned :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Strip them of men, make rudimentary repairs to the broken ones, kamikaze the fuckers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Try that Hyperdrive Asteroid trick again. Give them a taste of their own medicine!

Also, wait a tic... wasn't the Lusankya a prison? Does that mean that it's currently filled with prisoners? How could they convert it from a detention center to a serviceable warship so quickly? Especially since they don't have the Kuat Drive Yards in their hands yet?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Captain Bravo posted:

Try that Hyperdrive Asteroid trick again. Give them a taste of their own medicine!

Also, wait a tic... wasn't the Lusankya a prison? Does that mean that it's currently filled with prisoners? How could they convert it from a detention center to a serviceable warship so quickly? Especially since they don't have the Kuat Drive Yards in their hands yet?

Airlock? They're the evil empire

It'd be pretty hilarious if they went down to a prison riot though

Seriously it's great how well he's captured this battle being a total chaotic clusterfuck.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Calling it now, both SSD and both DS glass Kuat and Coruscant to destroy the rebellion.

Your story is awesome by the way DCB

poo poo, can you use an interdictor to drop them all in the sun?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Volmarias posted:

As nice as ISDs are, an Executor class SSD has literally 100 times the firepower, not to mention that each is going to come with its own flotilla of SDs and frigates.

If three SDs go a long way towards reconstituting your fleet, you are boned :(

Oh, there's no way we beat two SSDs (only one of which has the attendant flotilla - Lusankya had no fleet buried with it, after all) with our current fleet. Not in a straight-up fight, at any rate.

On the other hand, we haven't engaged in a straight-up fight in simply ages. There's a reason that some of the West End d6 system Star Wars books referred to Star Destroyers as "364,000 design flaws just waiting to be exploited."

Captain Bravo posted:

The army has guns, the prisoners don't. A few shots later, and cells become crew quarters. Simple enough.

The Lusankya was designed as a warship first; it was used as a prison basically out of convenience. A few renovated cargo bays are (IIRC) the extent of the 'prison facilities.'

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Seriously it's great how well he's captured this battle being a total chaotic clusterfuck.

This is actually one of my favorite things about the game - the way it's obvious that nothing is going according to plan for anyone, not the Rebels, not the Empire, no one.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

B) we've been directly responsible for the winnowing-out of a lot of incompetent Imperial officers. Our GM won't give a direct answer on that just yet, though. Grr. we actually did once game got underway - and what the GM threw at us in response.

Hide your art, just to be safe. :ohdear:

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Wait. If you have access to the Holonet, you could run a program that lets you look for anomalous ships - ones that shouldn't be where they are. That'd tell you the location of the Maw Cluster research facility, which has the Prototype Death Star. Also, the Star Crusher.

Alternatively, look for the Katana Fleet.

Hankosha fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 4, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

This game sounds like part rpg, part riddling contest to the death with only Star Wars canon trivia.

(which is to say, it sounds good)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Hankosha posted:

Wait. If you have access to the Holonet, you could run a program that lets you look for anomalous ships - ones that shouldn't be where they are. That'd tell you the location of the Maw Cluster research facility, which has the Prototype Death Star. Also, the Star Crusher.

Alternatively, look for the Katana Fleet.

Problem is, in order to locate ships via the HoloNet, you have to know the device ID code of the HoloNet unit aboard the vessel. To use the cell phone analogy again, you have to know the phone number... and we have yet to find a phone book.

Now, we've been able to get around that by going through past system logs and saying "okay, we know the Executor sent a message at this time; look and see which device ID that was. Okay, that ID is the Executor." and basically building our own directory.

I'm certain there is a directory somewhere, we just have to find it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I'm certain there is a directory somewhere, we just have to find it.
...does the Death Star have a phone number?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Colon V posted:

Is your gonk droid running? You should probably check and see if it fell over, then. *hangs up*

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Colon V posted:

Yep! And we know it, since we were able to back-reference Moff Jerjerrod's transmission to Coruscant about how the Rebels had been crushed at Endor.

A note, since I'm sure someone's wondering - the reason you never have to worry about phone numbers and such on board a ship is that HoloNet handles all that poo poo for you; you tell HoloNet to contact the Executor and the relay you're talking to will look that up for you. We can't do that for these purposes, because we're inside HoloNet itself - we're past the level where it looks up phone numbers and into the phone exchanges themselves.

At least, that's my current understanding. The GM may show up eventually and explain how I'm wrong. He keeps threatening to do so to point out inaccuracies in stories and I won't go back and fix said inaccuracies because I want him to show up.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Tell him the internet says he should let you steal the second Death Star goddammit. Yes, it's cliche as hell and near every Star Wars party tries to do it, but it's like climbing Mt. Everest- We try it because it is there. With as awesome as your party is, I think you could do it in spectacular fashion.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Colon V posted:

1-800-DOOM-GUN?

Also, this is the most hilarious Star Wars alt-universe I have ever read.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Obviously the way it has to go down is that they successfully steal the Death Star 2... about 5 seconds before Lando, who never got told of the plan, finally manages to get in there and blow up the reactor.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Tell him the internet says he should let you steal the second Death Star goddammit. Yes, it's cliche as hell and near every Star Wars party tries to do it, but it's like climbing Mt. Everest- We try it because it is there. With as awesome as your party is, I think you could do it in spectacular fashion.

They already stole Coruscant, it's well too late to avoid it being that game.

E: Does Coruscant have engines? It seems like the kind of thing the SW EU would do. Can you ram the Death Star when it shows up?

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 4, 2012

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I've played in a couple of similar games and I highly recommend the Interdictor + Torpedo Sphere method of dealing with SSDs or even a Death Star.

If you've got a good enough scout team you can even use them offensively by jumping into position and calculating the firing arcs (Only works on a stationary target like a Death Star) then jumping out and uploading the targeting data to the sphere which then jumps into the exact same spot and fires.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Karandras posted:

I've played in a couple of similar games and I highly recommend the Interdictor + Torpedo Sphere method of dealing with SSDs or even a Death Star.

Sadly, we are out of Torpedo Spheres. That is, we have two of them, in the Countess' fleet - but they have been heavily reconfigured, the torpedo launchers torn out and replaced with anti-starfighter weaponry; they're now point-defense platforms.

This is kinda okay considering we've been critically short on torpedoes for a long, long time, probably due to overuse of the Floating Chrysanthemum Fleet (did I talk about the Floating Chrysanthemum Fleet yet? Of all the ideas I've had in this game, that one was probably the one I'm most proud of - and probably the one that's had the biggest impact on the game).

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I was playing in a regular 3.5 DnD game with a friend earlier this year. It was kind of an odd affair as the game was quite bipolar in theme, we would almost abruptly change from light hearted comedy to assassinations. The setting itself was his own making. All of the game took place in a great city run by mages. To the south was a nation of cat people (and subsequently with a few Weretigers once I made my character), an island of Elves somewhere off to the sea, icantbelieveitsnotskyrim a viking themed island to the north and an underground Dwarven civilisation...somewhere. Admittedly parts of it weren't the most original, but it fitted together in a way that wasn't entirely derivative which was nice at least.

The party began at level 1 and consisted of:

Me, a Weretiger Monk with the backstory of having been experimented on by an unscrupulous mage. This was done to explain why I needed to level up to gain features from my template. The mage was trying to cure me of lycanthropy without realising I was a natural lycanthrope.

A friend who was a Warlock. He came from a disgraced house and so while having a name and moderate estate belonging to his family, wasn't really very influential. His family had a reputation for 'dubious magicks' but nothing was ever proven.

A Cleric of the War God for the mages' society. He disappeared after the second session and was ignored thereafter. His only defining character trait was being an idiot.

Later we were joined by a Dwarven Knight whose personality was defined by boozing (of course) and an insufferable need for honour and etiquette. He was pretty good in combat but his real reason for joining the group kind of got derailed by general antics and world ending cataclysms.

The Wizard of the party, who belonged to a reasonably prestigious and wealthy house. Despite being the GM's GF at the time the GM was decent enough not to give her any perks or special bonuses. He just helped her with the character sheet. I guess she did have some inside information, but any metagaming she could have done got swept up by the rest of the party.

Our final cast member was a curious automaton that the Wizard had 'bought'. It was intelligent and very independent, as well as being amazingly naive and a kleptomaniac. The player was one of those people who roleplays so ad hoc and improvisationally that you either hate or love them. Later on this character was replaced by an Elf! Who was a diplomat and an assassin with multiple personalities!

The game ended up with the warlock corrupting the ruler of the city, the ruler getting possessed by a demon and then performing a gigantic ritual. By combining all of the arcane power of the greatest mages in the city the demon wanted to create a great reservoir of magic (kind of like Warcraft's Well of Eternity I guess) and through that taint all magic in the world. The warlock made a play to take control of the ritual and after failing, decided to sacrifice his soul so that a Solar could manifest to combat the demon. Unfortunately the Solar lost and all the magic in the world was tainted, causing arcane magic users to become insane after using it enough. My character became the saviour of the cat people, leading all of the slaves in the city out of the main gate and walking away as the warlock kind of hosed up the world. The dwarf and elf accompanied him in the exodus and he went to make a big fortress in the cat peoples lands, instate the worship of Luna as the defacto religion of the country and create an order of warriors dedicated to killing mages. And then we began a subsequent campaign set 70 years later to deal with the ramifications of us screwing up the world.

Lots of other fun stuff happened along the way, but telling you about the highlights would enter :words: territory for a single post so if you guys want to know more I'll post it later. Really, the cast of characters and our completely unpredictable reactions made the game a lot of fun and a headache for the GM.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 5, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

This is kinda okay considering we've been critically short on torpedoes for a long, long time, probably due to overuse of the Floating Chrysanthemum Fleet (did I talk about the Floating Chrysanthemum Fleet yet? Of all the ideas I've had in this game, that one was probably the one I'm most proud of - and probably the one that's had the biggest impact on the game).

I don't think so? You should talk about it.

HiKaizer posted:

Lots of other fun stuff happened along the way, but telling you about the highlights would enter :words: territory for a single post so if you guys want to know more I'll post it later. Really, the cast of characters and our completely unpredictable reactions made the game a lot of fun and a headache for the GM.

"Do you want a story?"

The answer is always yes.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Then a story you shall get! I'll work on it tomorrow, because I have to go to my current not on hiatus game at the moment. It, sadly, is not as awesome as the one on hiatus because two of the players don't know how to roleplay, only rollplay. Maybe the Dwarf Fighter will one day figure out why we don't trust him after finding out he's hearing the voice of his undead evil grandpa in his head as well as being influenced by an artefact axe of a Genie. He thinks it's just so unreasonable of us to be mad and to not trust him after he failed to mention the hordes of undead and group of vampires in the stronghold until after we fought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Stamper
Jul 30, 2009

A note, since I'm sure someone's wondering - the reason you never have to worry about phone numbers and such on board a ship is that HoloNet handles all that poo poo for you; you tell HoloNet to contact the Executor and the relay you're talking to will look that up for you. We can't do that for these purposes, because we're inside HoloNet itself - we're past the level where it looks up phone numbers and into the phone exchanges themselves.

At least, that's my current understanding. The GM may show up eventually and explain how I'm wrong. He keeps threatening to do so to point out inaccuracies in stories and I won't go back and fix said inaccuracies because I want him to show up.

I wonder if the GM would let you could brute force all possible ship names with a known message (maybe a vague phrase and an increasing variable) outside of your point of inner access, keep track of each the message associated with each name, then go through the logs to see which messages/ship names correlate to delivered messages. That way you could make your own index. Maybe encrypt the message you send to confuse everyone who receives one of the messages.