Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I moved into a house on Halloween last year and after having a dog in the place for 6 months or so, I made up my mind to get a dog of my own sometime in the near future, and was curious if anyone might recommend a breeder (preferably pembroke, since I grew up with one) in the PNW, Oregon preferably. My cousin's dog would be pumped to have a housemate (he gets separation anxiety from his owner and we're hoping a second dog would help mellow that out some) and I could bring my dog to work, even as a puppy.

Crasscrab posted:

Spinning bowtie on a corgi would be amazing. :ohdear: Must invent spinning bowtie collar for dogs!
How much would you pay for one before shipping? :science:

edit: Bo-bo, my cousin's dog.

:smugdog::pipe:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

coyo7e posted:

When I was a kid we had a really fluffy corgi like the one pictured above, and we would regularly give her a buzz-cut in the summer, she LOVED it. Also my mm would shave her belly to like 1/8" (it really helped reduce flea infestations since we lived in the country), but if the dog laid on her back in the sun too often she'd get a pretty gnarly sunburn on her tummy.

Haha, awesome! When my brother got married, my mother had our pembroke sit on a chair next to her, in the front row for the entire ceremony.

They've been lucky enough not to ever have a problem with fleas in the 14 years of having dogs, but the ticks, my god I've found 4 ticks: 3 on the fluffy and 1 on the tri. They've all been dead by the time we've gotten to them because of the flea and tick treatment, but the dogs love going out for walks in the woods. Because of the fluff, the ticks aren't found for a few days. And ticks are disgusting, horrible creatures.

Even in the winter though, we clip her chest hair down because ice balls form on her armpits and she just stops walking and demands to be carried home. This invariably happens on the iciest, farthest point from the house.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I leave town for a few weeks and my wife does this :psyduck:

My dog has been scalped!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Ornamented Death posted:

My dog has been scalped!

:O

A corgi without his luxurious fur is scarcely a corgi at all!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Ornamented Death posted:

My dog has been scalped!

Why do people keep doing this to their poor dogs? :psyduck:

I know it's a fashion trend lately 'lol look at my shaved dog he is hilarious' but it is seriously the most PUSH BUTTON INSERT DOG method of grooming and it just fucks the coat so hard.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

My brother-in-law bought this shirt for me a couple of days ago.

Its pretty great.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Gray Stormy posted:

My brother-in-law bought this shirt for me a couple of days ago.

Its pretty great.

WHERE DO I GET ONE?!?!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Wonder Bra posted:

WHERE DO I GET ONE?!?!

Here ya go.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Captain Foxy posted:

Maybe because it's getting hot out and Corgis shed a lot?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Ema Nymton posted:

Maybe because it's getting hot out and Corgis shed a lot?
As I mentioned in my previous post, shaving the coat actually does the opposite of keeping them cool; it exposes them to the heat that would be deflected by their outer guard hairs, exposes them to harmful, cancer-causing UV rays and significantly increases the risks for melanoma and skin issues.

For both shedding and warmer weather, asking your groomer for a 'de-shed' treatment is really much more effective and does both jobs without ruining the coat or endangering the dog. Shaving is a recent fashion trend, and not actually considered a useful groom for warmer weather.

If my dog can be kept cool, healthy and happy without shaving and loving over his coat, it should be easy for a Corgi. Poms have much more coat and he's been fine with a yearly de-shed.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 20, 2012

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo has been shaved for various medical reasons, being fixed, allergy testing, and our most recent saga. Being bit by a brown recluse spider. And everytime they've done it, a little part of me dies. His coat has luckily come back okay. His allergy testing (side was shaved) took almost 6 months before I couldn't notice is. His back where he was bit by the spider, took almost a year. It'll be a year the first week of July, and I swear I still see where it was.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Captain Foxy posted:

I know it's a fashion trend lately 'lol look at my shaved dog he is hilarious' but it is seriously the most PUSH BUTTON INSERT DOG method of grooming and it just fucks the coat so hard.

I'm not particularly happy about it, and neither is George. I've explained to my wife that shaving him like that is not good so it shouldn't happen again.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was poking around online looking at corgi rescues and local breeders, and stumbled across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MXU4d2w5VI

:3:

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Hello corgi thread! Right now someone is paying me money to draw a pile of corgis. I was wondering if anyone here would like to lend me some corgipix I can use for reference? I would like to represent a wide variety of corg in my drawing. Here is what stuff I draw usually looks like(except the corgipic will be drawn a lot better because I'm getting money for it): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487470&userid=167055

Thanks!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Dabbo posted:

Hello corgi thread! Right now someone is paying me money to draw a pile of corgis. I was wondering if anyone here would like to lend me some corgipix I can use for reference? I would like to represent a wide variety of corg in my drawing. Here is what stuff I draw usually looks like(except the corgipic will be drawn a lot better because I'm getting money for it): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487470&userid=167055

Thanks!

You can feel free to use any of the pics I've posted in the thread, but my dog doesn't tend to look like a typical corgi, so YMMV. Here are some corgi group shots that show a wide variety of colors:

+1 Rhodesian Ridgeback mix

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Dabbo posted:

Thanks!

you can use any orbit photos I've posted too. He's a pretty typical cardi.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Dabbo posted:

Thanks!

Your drawings are very cute :3:

Feel free to use any of the photos I have posted, and here's another:

Any specific positions/angles you were looking for?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
I'd love it if Corwin was part of the pile! If you look at my post history in this thread there are TONS of photos of his cuteness. :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Haven't posted any pictures of Butters in a while so here-

Waaaaa :buddy:

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Just a picture of Gizmo from our wedding. We only had him there for pictures and then took him home. He was pretty stressed.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Here's Nova after running around outside.

Her face looks so much like Butters' I did a double take.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ha, maybe they're related- is she from a Michigan breeder?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Is there anyone from the Chicago area who knows a breeder. I'm moving there in the next few months into a place I can finally get my companion. I've done some research but wanted to hear some personal experiences.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Awesome Animals posted:

Is there anyone from the Chicago area who knows a breeder. I'm moving there in the next few months into a place I can finally get my companion. I've done some research but wanted to hear some personal experiences.

My husband and I live in Chicago and we got our corgi through Edward and Cheryl Heath, a couple from Indiana. I'm not sure they're still breeding any more, but they were as nice as can be and we love our corgi Penny. As a bonus, Penny's dad was best in breed at Westminster a few years back, so we can throw our weight around at random corgi fact parties. Also, if you get a hold of them and they're still breeding, let me know! We're thinking of getting a second dog eventually and I'd love to get one from the Heaths again.

Here's a link for the Ohio Valley Corgi club - http://ohiovalleycorgi.org/memberspage.htm - This should give you their address and the addresses of several other people who breed in the area. Let me know how your search goes, owning a corgi is the greatest!

EDIT: If you talk to the Heaths and they ask how you got their names, you can say you were referred by Liz and Matt, who adopted their Corgi Kate (who we renamed Penny because Penny is a cuter name!)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Awesome Animals posted:

If you don't mind a longer drive my girlfriend and I got Butters from a woman in SW Michigan, when I talk to the GF tonight I'll get some more info.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Ha, maybe they're related- is she from a Michigan breeder?

Alas, no. She's from a Texas breeder, though I suppose nothing's impossible somewhere down the line.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rootbeer Baron posted:

My husband and I live in Chicago and we got our corgi through Edward and Cheryl Heath, a couple from Indiana. I'm not sure they're still breeding any more, but they were as nice as can be and we love our corgi Penny. As a bonus, Penny's dad was best in breed at Westminster a few years back, so we can throw our weight around at random corgi fact parties. Also, if you get a hold of them and they're still breeding, let me know! We're thinking of getting a second dog eventually and I'd love to get one from the Heaths again.

Here's a link for the Ohio Valley Corgi club - http://ohiovalleycorgi.org/memberspage.htm - This should give you their address and the addresses of several other people who breed in the area. Let me know how your search goes, owning a corgi is the greatest!

EDIT: If you talk to the Heaths and they ask how you got their names, you can say you were referred by Liz and Matt, who adopted their Corgi Kate (who we renamed Penny because Penny is a cuter name!)

C-Euro posted:

If you don't mind a longer drive my girlfriend and I got Butters from a woman in SW Michigan, when I talk to the GF tonight I'll get some more info.

Thanks for the info. Driving distance won't be a problem. I'm from Ohio, and am used to driving 6 hours to get to Chicago to see my girlfriend already :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So different request:

Does anyone know of a place that does little Corgi sculptures, or wood carvings? That sort of thing.

We got a little bench as a house decoration, like miniature, maybe a foot, foot and a half long. Not something for people, maybe toddlers.

I would love to put a ridiculous Corgi on it, bonus points if the legs dangled off the side.

Corgi Content: Taziki folding her arms on a ride:

Diocletian
Jul 4, 2003
I guess I should stop lurking again for a bit and post pics of my new dog. I haven't had a pet of my own for over 6 years(demanding career). During that time there's no breed I wanted more than a PWC. Long story short, after many years of research and finally reaching a stable time in my life I was ready to take the plunge.

I carefully picked a breeder, of course using the recommendations on this forum with my own judgement. Finally, about a month ago I brought home Eilwen, or just 'Elly' for short. Honestly, I don't regret it one bit. I mean she's just loving hilarious and CRAZY smart. She already knows quite a few commands and is responding to clicker training very quickly. But enough talking, here are a couple pics. I'll get better ones soon!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Diocletian posted:

I guess I should stop lurking again for a bit and post pics of my new dog. I haven't had a pet of my own for over 6 years(demanding career). During that time there's no breed I wanted more than a PWC. Long story short, after many years of research and finally reaching a stable time in my life I was ready to take the plunge.

I carefully picked a breeder, of course using the recommendations on this forum with my own judgement. Finally, about a month ago I brought home Eilwen, or just 'Elly' for short. Honestly, I don't regret it one bit. I mean she's just loving hilarious and CRAZY smart. She already knows quite a few commands and is responding to clicker training very quickly. But enough talking, here are a couple pics. I'll get better ones soon!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABYYYYYYYY :3: :3: :3:

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

The Dave posted:

So different request:

Does anyone know of a place that does little Corgi sculptures, or wood carvings? That sort of thing.

We got a little bench as a house decoration, like miniature, maybe a foot, foot and a half long. Not something for people, maybe toddlers.

I would love to put a ridiculous Corgi on it, bonus points if the legs dangled off the side.

Corgi Content: Taziki folding her arms on a ride:

Not sure how this works, but you should be able to request the colors so they match Taziki:
http://www.dogmt.com/sculpture.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v5.tpl&product_id=367&category_id=148

I have been trying to get to Dog Mountain for at least a day trip for a few months now, but something always gets in the way. The dog chapel looks awesome/a real tear jerker all at once. I wanted to pick up a Corgi statue while I was there. May not be your style, but I thought I'd link it to you :) Etsy is swimming with custom corgi stuff if you wanted other options!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Those look great! Thanks!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Those are cute.

My mother found this in a local store and bought it for me for my birthday this year. I think it's just a local artist, unfortunately.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Ever since last fall, my girlfriend and I have been watching the local shelters for a dog to adopt. We weren't looking specifically for a corgi, we just wanted a dog that was out of the puppy stage and less than 50lbs (landlord stipulation, "so the hardwood wouldn't get scratched"). In early February, after about 4 months of daily searching, I see this little guy pop up on their website:

This is the actual picture they used on their site, by the way.

The site said he was an 18-month-old Welsh/Pembroke Corgi "mix" but didn't know what he was mixed with. After staring at that for a good 5 minutes, I called them to see if he was still available. He was, and I knew that we had to visit the dog right then.

We got to the shelter and were taken to a visitation room, where the dog was brought to us. He calmly walked over to sniff at my girlfriend, then sits right in front of me and gives me this look:

Welp, we're screwed, there's no way that we can say no to that face. He had no history to speak of, no medical history before entering the shelter in Iowa three weeks earlier and being shipped up to Minneapolis. He was completely unresponsive to his name - at the time it was listed as Guy, though I would guess that's a name that the shelter gave him. Minor ear infection and a little underweight, but otherwise in good health. We re-christened him and brought him home that very night.

So, this is Tycho - we figured the name of an eccentric astronomer would fit this very goofy, eccentric-looking dog. He's got a lot of energy but is incredibly patient with it, in a way I never knew a dog could be. Training him has been nothing short of fun, and he learns incredibly quickly.

If anyone has a guess as to what he's mixed with, feel free to chime in. Our best guess is border collie, but I know almost nothing about dog breeds in general.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Omg he's the cutest. How much does he weigh? It's hard to tell from the pictures but he could just be a cardigan whose ears never came up- they do come in red and white too.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Actually, that's odd - his ears are up quite often, but they just don't happen to be in any of those pictures.

This is the most common way to see him, though - one up, one down:

He was 25lbs when we got him, but he's up to 30 now at our vet's recommendation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That is a cool-rear end looking dog, and that picture of him in stride gives me some Australian Shepherd vibes but I'll defer to someone who knows more about dogs than I do.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Stop judging me for reading YOSPOS, Tycho

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

25-30lbs is too small for a grown cardigan male. Maybe he's a pembroke with a tail? Honestly he looks suuuuper corgi to me, if he's mixed it didn't get through much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I don't have many shots of him standing up since any time I take a camera out he absolutely needs to know what it is and ensures that it makes friends with his mouth, but I found this one

The tail is what made me think he's part collie (of some kind)

• Locked thread