Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Does anyone have any experience with external federation with CUPS? We're bringing it online and I've got requests to be able to speak out with Google, AOL, Yahoo and Live. AOL and Google look simple, but Yahoo and Live are evading me in documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Why in gods name did Juniper put an out band management port on the SRXs if you can't actually put it in it's own routing instance so it can be actually out of band?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

FatCow posted:

Why in gods name did Juniper put an out band management port on the SRXs if you can't actually put it in it's own routing instance so it can be actually out of band?
Is it like the GSR OOB which was in global table, but the fabric couldn't talk to it?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FatCow posted:

Are you talking about the FXP port?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone ever had a ASA drop the WAN link after 4-5 minutes? The interface shows as up then down, yet the link lights never change. I can ping, then I can not. I am starting to wonder if it is my crappy DSL modem.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

Has anyone ever had a ASA drop the WAN link after 4-5 minutes? The interface shows as up then down, yet the link lights never change. I can ping, then I can not. I am starting to wonder if it is my crappy DSL modem.
I've seen all sorts of cisco gear do this due to a speed/duplex mismatch or failure to auto negotiate (which is ultimately the same thing). Link comes up for a few minutes, then goes down.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

ragzilla posted:

Is it like the GSR OOB which was in global table, but the fabric couldn't talk to it?

Not quite that bad, but it appears you can't put it into a virtual router and I'm not licensed for logical routers. Also I've been using Junos for all of a week so there may be something obvious I'm missing.

routenull0 posted:

Are you talking about the FXP port?

Yes.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FatCow posted:

Not quite that bad, but it appears you can't put it into a virtual router and I'm not licensed for logical routers. Also I've been using Junos for all of a week so there may be something obvious I'm missing.

Yes.

Yeah the FXP is not designed to be anything other than an entry point for management only. You cannot route traffic through it out of the control-plane. You can source stuff from it like syslog, radius, etc if you wish.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
Anyone have experience with Web Auth passthrough on Cisco WLC's?

I'm having a problem with iphones where I will select a SSID that has passthrough configured the iphone's "Log-In" window pops up trying to load http://www.apple.com but can't, and never loads the web auth page. If I go into the network settings on the iphone and disable "auto-login" I can connect to the network, open a broswer, and get to the passthrough page. But this isn't a good solution for a public wifi network for a large municipality

I am using Ubuntu Server with Bind9 as the DNS server and we have a 3rd party issued cert. We have a Cisco 5508 using 3502E AP's and NCS

Image1
Image2

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

adorai posted:

I've seen all sorts of cisco gear do this due to a speed/duplex mismatch or failure to auto negotiate (which is ultimately the same thing). Link comes up for a few minutes, then goes down.

I remember reading about it, I will go ahead and manually set the speed and see if it helps.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

the spyder posted:

I remember reading about it, I will go ahead and manually set the speed and see if it helps.

Look for runts and/or giants on the interface counters, that will point in the direction of speed/duplex mismatch.

If you hard-code, you want to make sure the other end is hard-coded as well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Turns out my crappy DSL modem does not like me. I wiped the config, rebuilt it with DHCP for my vlan 2 outside address + told it to get the default route from dhcp and all is well. It has been up for 10+ hours straight.

Bit worried that I went a bit underpowered on the ASA5505 after doing some reading. I have three connections for this to handle, a 100mb Cable line + 5mb DSL + 100mb Fiber. I know we will be maxing the fiber pretty regularly. Thinking of upgrading to a 5515-x.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

liveify posted:

I'm having a problem with iphones where I will select a SSID that has passthrough configured the iphone's "Log-In" window pops up trying to load http://www.apple.com but can't, and never loads the web auth page. If I go into the network settings on the iphone and disable "auto-login" I can connect to the network, open a broswer, and get to the passthrough page. But this isn't a good solution for a public wifi network for a large municipality

I am using Ubuntu Server with Bind9 as the DNS server and we have a 3rd party issued cert. We have a Cisco 5508 using 3502E AP's and NCS

Image1
Image2

Gotta be something with the iPhone itself, right? I don't recall having to do anything fancy to set our portal up. Just takes you to 1.1.1.1 with a UN/PW field.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

adorai posted:

Is there actually a good reason why Cisco (and other "enterprise" network gear, but most often Cisco) still can't seem to manage to autonegotiate properly? I have literally never once had an autonegotiation failure on consumer/SoHo hardware, but if there's something Cisco in play there's a 50/50 shot that at least one interface will end up hardcoded. Same with the non-Cisco but still "enterprise" switches Time Warner and others use for their fiber deployments. I really don't get this, why the crap $10 hardware can do it perfectly every time, but hardware costing hundreds or thousands can't.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
On SOHO equipment if you get a duplex mismatch at the switch you'll never notice. On Cisco/Juniper etc you will. Also the GigE standard is fairly recent and when enterprise gear was first to market it hadn't been standardized yet, thus lots of GigE ports on say a 6500 aren't p to spec and will have lots of issues, whereas your new laptop will have no problem.

Also the enterprise world is full of conflicting "industry" standards and it is usually a toss up which particular standard your equipment will support (sometimes both).

Basically check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet#1000BASE-T

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gotta be something with the iPhone itself, right? I don't recall having to do anything fancy to set our portal up. Just takes you to 1.1.1.1 with a UN/PW field.

I've tried it on multiple iphone's. Same problem.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

Haven't tried this myself, but;

Apple devices have a feature to detect the presence of a captive portal and generate an HTTP request to an Apple website - this allows non-browser applications to access the Internet without having to launch a web browser. Web Auth is done via a pop-up window. However the pop-up window does not allow the end user to accept self-signed certificates.

WLC command to spoof the request to apple.com :
config network web-auth captive-bypass enable

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
Ior,

That command won't execute on my 5508. Tells me the command is invalid.

We have a cert issued by a 3rd party.

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004
I enjoy the eating of babies.

FatCow posted:

Yes.

Keep it in inet.0, place everything else in another VR called transit-vr or something. We ended up having to do this with a bunch of 3600s due to the OOB subnet being present from other sources (ospf, etc).

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
Is it best pratice to have the Ap-manager (Might be using the wrong terminology, the interface that has Enable Dynamic AP Management enabled) on a separate vlan from the Management interface on a Cisco 5508

para
Nov 30, 2006

I've got a quick NAT question with ASA 8.2's.

I have two sites, each with their own internet connection, and each connected together over a private WAN.

Both of these offices have an ASA configured with standard PAT that allows users to get out to the internet.

The company email server resides at Site A. The global MX records point to 50.1.1.1 with a backup record to 50.2.2.2.

In the event Site A's internet connection goes down, we would like email to go to 50.2.2.2. So on Site B's ASA I have a static NAT..

code:
static (inside,outside) tcp interface smtp 10.1.1.100 smtp netmask 255.255.255.255

nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
global (outside) 1 interface
The problem with this is the email server sees the source as whatever the users global IP was and tries to sent it out to Internet A. Instead, it needs to go back out over Internet B.

I believe the solution to this may be outside NAT? I have never used outside NAT and am not sure how to set it up or if it is appropriate for this situation.

code:
access-list email_nat extended permit tcp any any eq smtp
nat (outside) 2 access-list email_nat outside
global (inside) 2 interface
Would this work and is this the correct approach?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

Ior,

That command won't execute on my 5508. Tells me the command is invalid.

We have a cert issued by a 3rd party.

Upgrade to 7.2MR1 :)

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

Is it best pratice to have the Ap-manager (Might be using the wrong terminology, the interface that has Enable Dynamic AP Management enabled) on a separate vlan from the Management interface on a Cisco 5508

Canīt think of a reason it should be. The APs need to communicate with both the ap-manager and the management interface anyhow.

ior fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 5, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Soooo, I am sure everyone in here would be appalled at the setup I am working with, but this is one of the items coming up on my hit list to fix before I look for a better job.

I am configuring a Catalyst 3750 do to some slight vlan/routing out at our newly acquired colo. I was browsing through the current config of these switches at my work (two of them in identical setups), and realized that we do not have any true management network setup.

How unusual is this for a small/mid sized company (around 280 employees)? I understand that this leaves everything on my network open to everyone/everything. Thinking about it now, if someone wanted to be malicious and was not an idiot, it would not be too difficult. Also what are some best practices on this? Setup a completely different subnet for management that only certain workstations can access?

Also, our 3750's are currently running iOS 12.2 (I believe). Is there much work behind getting that up to date?

Moey fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 6, 2012

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Moey posted:

How unusual is this for a small/mid sized company (around 280 employees)? I understand that this leaves everything on my network open to everyone/everything. Thinking about it now, if someone wanted to be malicious and was not an idiot, it would not be too difficult. Also what are some best practices on this? Setup a completely different subnet for management that only certain workstations can access?
This isn't uncommon at all. Everything has passwords right?

Moey posted:

Also, our 3750's are currently running iOS 12.2 (I believe). Is there much work behind getting that up to date?
You'll need a service contract (SmartNET). And IOS on 3750 classic only goes up to 12.2 anyway, although it is up to 12.2(55)SE1 or something now I believe in that 12.2SE train.

Look at the release notes on Cisco.com and see if there's anything between your current version, and 12.2(55) you can't live without.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

How unusual is this for a small/mid sized company (around 280 employees)?
Do you have a team dedicated to supporting networking equipment, or do you have a general IT team that does it all? One of these would utilize a management network, the other would not.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
No one here is dedicated to networking, or any item in general. I have pretty much taken over the VMware portion of everything. I have finally corrected everything on our two sites.

We just got a colo, so now along with the rest I am looking into the networking, because I have a few days to get this together.

As for software updates, I was told that we are still paying for updates, so I should be able to figure out how to update the iOS.

Edit: on my phone right now, yes everything has passwords.

Moey fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 6, 2012

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

para posted:

The problem with this is the email server sees the source as whatever the users global IP was and tries to sent it out to Internet A. Instead, it needs to go back out over Internet B.
I don't understand what you mean here. There shouldn't be any NAT between Site A and Site B, and instead there should be static routes or routing protocols so you can reach hosts on either network. It sounds like inbound email is being delivered correctly when Internet A is down and the problem is outbound email isn't being delivered. My guess is that your mail server is trying to send mail outside its network so it goes to its default gateway (10.1.1.1), which likely has a default route to go Internet A's IP address. If the link to Internet A goes down, the static route gets removed from the routing table and all packets are discarded.

For example, under normal conditions your email server (10.1.1.100) tries to send a message to bob@gmail.com (173.194.77.27). That IP address isn't in the 10.1.1.100 subnet, so sends this to the default gateway (assuming 10.1.1.1). Your ASA receives this packet and sees it if has a learned or static route for 173.194.77.27. It doesn't, so it sends it to it's default route to "Internet A" and let's their routers decide on how to reach 173.194.77.27. There is much more detail I left out (like your email server querying DNS, and that NAT/PAT is translating on the ASA 10.1.1.100 to an external address) but this should be general flow when things are working normally.

I think the quickest way to fix this is to add a second default/backup route with a higher administrative distance that will get to Site B's ASA. That would fix the problem when the actual interface goes down, but not fix it if the interface is up and the problem is upstream. If you want to fix that problem, you will need to track reachability of a given route to verify the connection is working. See this article for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

Also I really hope you aren't actually using 50.1.1.1 and 50.2.2.2 as IP's in your network and just made those up for your diagram. (Unless you actually own this address space)

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
How is everyone's IPv6 day going?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

inignot posted:

I saw on NANOG that comcast turned up IPv6 for MX on comcast.com domain and around a minute later they got their first spam via IPv6. Even spammers are participating!

quote:

In preparation for the World IPv6 Launch, inbound (SMTP) email to the
comcast.net domain was IPv6-enabled today, June 5, 2012, at 9:34 UTC.
Roughly one minute later, at 9:35:30 UTC we received our first
inbound email over IPv6 from 2001:4ba0:fff4:1c::2. That first bit of mail
was spam,

para
Nov 30, 2006

Bluecobra posted:

I don't understand what you mean here. There shouldn't be any NAT between Site A and Site B, and instead there should be static routes or routing protocols so you can reach hosts on either network. It sounds like inbound email is being delivered correctly when Internet A is down and the problem is outbound email isn't being delivered. My guess is that your mail server is trying to send mail outside its network so it goes to its default gateway (10.1.1.1), which likely has a default route to go Internet A's IP address. If the link to Internet A goes down, the static route gets removed from the routing table and all packets are discarded.

For example, under normal conditions your email server (10.1.1.100) tries to send a message to bob@gmail.com (173.194.77.27). That IP address isn't in the 10.1.1.100 subnet, so sends this to the default gateway (assuming 10.1.1.1). Your ASA receives this packet and sees it if has a learned or static route for 173.194.77.27. It doesn't, so it sends it to it's default route to "Internet A" and let's their routers decide on how to reach 173.194.77.27. There is much more detail I left out (like your email server querying DNS, and that NAT/PAT is translating on the ASA 10.1.1.100 to an external address) but this should be general flow when things are working normally.

I think the quickest way to fix this is to add a second default/backup route with a higher administrative distance that will get to Site B's ASA. That would fix the problem when the actual interface goes down, but not fix it if the interface is up and the problem is upstream. If you want to fix that problem, you will need to track reachability of a given route to verify the connection is working. See this article for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

Also I really hope you aren't actually using 50.1.1.1 and 50.2.2.2 as IP's in your network and just made those up for your diagram. (Unless you actually own this address space)
There is a lot of stuff I left out of this because it wasn't really part of the problem I'm trying to solve. For example, the email server sends all outgoing email to a spam filter at Site A. So in the event the internet there is down a relay server can be administratively configured to send it over to Site B where it would then go out to the internet there.

Site B is a DR site and I don't want internet traffic to fail over to there if Site A's internet goes out. Site A has other, better ways to get out.

The real problem here is incoming SMTP from the internet to Site B. With the static NAT on Site B's ASA, anything incoming to TCP25 is NATed to be sent to the email server (10.1.1.100). Since this is TCP two way communication is opened with the client (say 12.12.12.12). However the response back to 12.12.12.12 (the TCP handshake) would reach the user but appear to be coming from Site A's global IP of 50.1.1.1 instead of what the client actually tried to connect to (50.2.2.2).

The end result needs to be that the client can open an SNMP session with either 50.1.1.1 or 50.2.2.2 and the actual session would connect to the email server at Site A.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ragzilla posted:

This isn't uncommon at all. Everything has passwords right?

You'll need a service contract (SmartNET). And IOS on 3750 classic only goes up to 12.2 anyway, although it is up to 12.2(55)SE1 or something now I believe in that 12.2SE train.

Look at the release notes on Cisco.com and see if there's anything between your current version, and 12.2(55) you can't live without.

Looks like we are running iOS 12.2(53)SE2, and the current for that switch is 12.2(55)SE5.

Not worrying about features, should updating to the most current iOS be valuable from a security perspective (vulnerability patches)?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Moey posted:

Looks like we are running iOS 12.2(53)SE2, and the current for that switch is 12.2(55)SE5.

Not worrying about features, should updating to the most current iOS be valuable from a security perspective (vulnerability patches)?

See if there are any PSIRT notices against the release you are running.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tremblay posted:

See if there are any PSIRT notices against the release you are running.

Seems to be 5 published, I do not think any of them apply to our scope of use.

Thanks for this! Now just to make myself a little more competent in getting this configured!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Do iPhones autocorrect IOS to iOS?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
yes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

inignot posted:

A dog bit me and I can't find my favourite hat.

loving IPv6 rollout.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I have two related questions regarding my lab build of ICM 8.5(3):

Firstly, Ops Console shows my Unified CVP Call Server status as 'Partial' (rather than 'Up'). The last time I had this issue, it was because my CVP PG had a different logical ID configured than had been set on the AW, but I've already confirmed that's not the case this time around. Where else should I be looking to get my status to full 'Up'?

Also, I can't seem to check up on my PIM status on the CVP PG because, in the move to Win 2008 R2, I've lost the handy taskbar terminal windows that track the status of processes. According to Cisco, the job now falls to EMSMON, but I can't seem to find a way to get it to tell me what I need to know. Can anyone help me with monitoring processes on Win 2008 R2 using EMSMON?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm really surprised how much IPv6 traffic we're getting. I thought it would be negligible but it's pretty significant. I almost want to go find what's misconfiguration in the monitoring.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I was thinking of checking that today but couldn't think of a simple way to separate the traffic since all transit interfaces are dual stack. What's your method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Per-VIP statistics off of the load balancers. Cheating, I know.