Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The hack didn't switch which enemies give the Dark Arts. It's just that multiple enemies can give the same Dark Art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rolling Start posted:

I think I'll sign up for this despite never making it to the end of Final Fantasy V before. I take it that the GBA-exclusive classes are all off limits?

Yeah, and so the other hidden job late in the game. You get one job whenever you get a crystal, that's it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fungah! posted:

Spoony bard was in the SNES version of FFIV, dude. All FFV gave us was princess Salsa
Galuff calls Buttz a spoony bard when he is being a dick about going on a grand adventure.

Or is all my life a lie because a quick google gives the FF4.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

zedprime posted:

Maybe it makes me an unapologetic nerd but I can't hate the translation that spawned spoony bard.

All the translations of IV have kept in the Spoony bard line. It's V that had the really bad translation, even by the usual standards of the time.

I can't help but love the really goofy lines in this series - it'd be a shame if they ever got rid of them in any future remakes/ports etc.

[e]: Beaten by a mile.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

zedprime posted:

Galuff calls Buttz a spoony bard when he is being a dick about going on a grand adventure.

Or is all my life a lie because a quick google gives the FF4.

Your life's a lie. The Anthology translation is just a reference, IV did it first

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Back to the Four Job Fiesta thing, I have a question on the rules. Can you (and I assume you're supposed to) use abilities you've mastered in one job and attach them to another job? Or whoever you assign to your available jobs has to be "pure" and can't take any unusual abilities.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
All right, I'll go ahead and do a hard mode run. Should be fun when I get white mage, white mage, white mage, white mage.

Huh, whats with all the #berserkerrisk tweets at gilgabot?

Lilli fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 2, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

For every 10$ donated to Child's Play, Gilgabot will automatically give anybody who tweets that Berserker

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lilli posted:

All right, I'll go ahead and do a hard mode run. Should be fun when I get white mage, white mage, white mage, white mage.

Huh, whats with all the #berserkerrisk tweets at gilgabot?

"FF5ForFutures posted:

FOR EVERY $10 IN DONATIONS BEFORE THE FIESTA STARTS ONE PLAYER WITH #BERSERKERRISK WILL GET AN EXTRA BERSERKER IN THEIR PARTY! YAY!

So tempted to do this. SO DOING THIS BERSERKER-RISK BOOYAH

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Pesky Splinter posted:

All the translations of IV have kept in the Spoony bard line. It's V that had the really bad translation, even by the usual standards of the time.

I can't help but love the really goofy lines in this series - it'd be a shame if they ever got rid of them in any future remakes/ports etc.

[e]: Beaten by a mile.

The GBA translation of FFV really is fantastic.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
Welp, I'm in. I had already rolled some classes via random.org and was playing through after I heard about the fiesta in the LP thread before I realized this was actually a donation drive thing. I've decided to try out the hard mode, so this should be fun.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Back to the Four Job Fiesta thing, I have a question on the rules. Can you (and I assume you're supposed to) use abilities you've mastered in one job and attach them to another job? Or whoever you assign to your available jobs has to be "pure" and can't take any unusual abilities.

Yes, you can give your Berserker Equip Harps so that he can unleash the power of rock with his Rune Axe more effectively.

Shaezerus posted:

Equip Harps lends to you the power of rock.

So if you give that to a Berserker, but not actually give it a harp...

I think I get it now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Welp, I'm in, took hard mode, and grabbed berserker risk. This is going to be terrible, I know it.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

First time with a 4JF, so I went #reg. Will progress each year if I succeed. :shobon:

An Original
Jul 3, 2011
can`t find this anywhere, is there a level cap?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nope, no level cap.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've registered for normal mode because I'm a simpering baby. I love FF5 and this seems like a lot of fun!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Since this is pretty much my normal way of playing FF5 anyway, I went ahead and signed up for hard mode.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

W.T. Fits posted:

Yes, you can give your Berserker Equip Harps so that he can unleash the power of rock with his Rune Axe more effectively.

Serious answer: Apparently you can as long as you're only using abilities your classes allow, and obey the challenge party makeup (i.e. once you have all 4 classes unlocked you cant have 2 of one class, you'll need to make them "trade places")

An Original posted:

can`t find this anywhere, is there a level cap?

Like W.T. Fits said, no, though in challenges over levelling is generally looked down upon, but what constitutes that is going to vary from person to person. YourSuffice to say beating Exdeath at level 99 will probably be looked down upon.

In for BERSERKERRISK. It's better to shine bright and briefly than not at all.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Well this is something. Versus XIII possibly rebranded as Final Fantasy XV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjal3E6-sk0

I'd sure like to see this on Wii U.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Doing the Four Job Fiesta, on hard, with Berserker Risk on. A party of Berserkerx3 and Thief would be awesome.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well this is something. Versus XIII possibly rebranded as Final Fantasy XV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjal3E6-sk0

I'd sure like to see this on Wii U.

Yeah, I posted that about a day ago, but Square has confirmed it was fake.

Now whether they actually DO rebrand it at some point, who knows.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

They should rebrand Versus into the real Final Fantasy Unlimited because that's how much development time it seems to have at this point.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pureauthor posted:

The GBA translation of FFV really is fantastic.

I know that, I was talking about the PSX/Anthology version. The GBA has the great pop culture references.

"It's morphin' time!"

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh why not. I've played FF5 a few times but never beaten it, I'ma do this and just see how far I get. If I do beat the game I will be very surprised. Though I'll probably play through normally in the meantime, at least to get used to the game again.

Justine Snowe
Aug 12, 2004
It's been a long time since I played FF5. In for hard mode.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I was futzing around with an actual GBA run, but I tossed in for the Four Job Fiesta run.

Expecting a much worse team than my manually rolled Blue Mage/Time Mage/Hunter/Chemist combo.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm not a huge FF5 fan (I think it's one of the worst of the early FF games) but it's still a great game and I regged for easy mode. This is going to be great! :holy:

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
I would like do to an easy run, and if I survive that well enough, a hard run after that. Is that possible, or is it against the rules?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fungah! posted:

Spoony bard was in the SNES version of FFIV, dude. All FFV gave us was princess Salsa

The original FF5 names also gave us Butz and Exdeath, instead of Bartz and Exodus.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started playing my last run of FF5 like this then changed my mind because I wanted to mess around with combos I had never used before.

A lot of jobs are much better than I thought they would be! Not geomancer though

Edit: If anyone doing this run got Geomancer I'm sorry.

Also a lot of jobs are effective at different points of the game so just because a combo is destroying everything don't get cocky! Someone post their jobs those are fun to look at

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 3, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A lot of jobs are much better than I thought they would be! Not geomancer though

Yeah, Geomancer is pretty lovely but it can reveal some obscure status weaknesses in boss monsters with its weird, unlisted secondary status effects. Ifrit, for example, is (uselessly, since he casts fire magic) vulnerable to Confusion :eng101:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The original FF5 names also gave us Butz and Exdeath, instead of Bartz and Exodus.

Pretty sure that was the fan-translation, but it's been a while. I think the Anthology crew used Bartz and X-Death. Regardless, Butz and Exdeath are both way better names than what they should be translated as

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
drat it, I was waiting on the rumored PSP re-release but I think I'm gonna have to play FF5 now.

Just signed up, but I got a question.

http://www.letsplaying.com/lets-playing/FF5FF/players.php

What's the berserker risk mean?

Edit: Oh, I see. It's another option to guarantee you an extra berserker. Yeah, don't think I'm that much of a bad dude :v:

Minera fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 3, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I started playing my last run of FF5 like this then changed my mind because I wanted to mess around with combos I had never used before.

Also a lot of jobs are effective at different points of the game so just because a combo is destroying everything don't get cocky! Someone post their jobs those are fun to look at

My four job fiesta was Blue Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dancer. As far as damage goes, Red Mage is nearly useless late-game, Blue Mage is situational, and Dancer is highly unreliable. For a good part of the game, I was relying on the Geomancer skill for most of my damage. Sure, the damage was usually pretty crappy, but it was free!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

My four job fiesta was Blue Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dancer. As far as damage goes, Red Mage is nearly useless late-game, Blue Mage is situational, and Dancer is highly unreliable. For a good part of the game, I was relying on the Geomancer skill for most of my damage. Sure, the damage was usually pretty crappy, but it was free!

Oh man that sucks. Red Mage is actually very good at damage if you give him a Summoner or Black Mage subjob but with no real mages he just falls off very quickly.

At least Dancer gets a bunch of Sword Dance buffing stuff eventually.

Also for people playing who didn't know: Your subjob actually grants you stats. If you give a Knight !Summon 5 his Magic Attack becomes as high as a Summoner's. Some passive skills do the same - if you give a character Barehanded not only are his punches as strong as a Monk's, but he gets a monk's attack and defense stats as well. If your stats are already higher it doesn't give you anything though.

This is also why the first third of the game is made trivial by giving everyone Barehanded and letting your mages punch poo poo

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Registered for this year's Four Job Fiesta with hard mode and berserker risk, since I finished it last year. Team was Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, and Dragoon, which was some fun synergy. Almagest is still a pain, though.

Feel sorry for anyone who manages to get three berserkers, though.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Saigyouji posted:

Registered for this year's Four Job Fiesta with hard mode and berserker risk, since I finished it last year. Team was Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, and Dragoon, which was some fun synergy. Almagest is still a pain, though.

Feel sorry for anyone who manages to get three berserkers, though.

I'm still debating whether I want to put myself at Berserker Risk. I'm not sure if I'm good enough to win with three berserkers and a wind crystal job.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'm gonna join as well. Already did the game to the end of the wind crystal tower. Now just to wait until the fiesta starts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Minrad posted:

drat it, I was waiting on the rumored PSP re-release but I think I'm gonna have to play FF5 now.

Just signed up, but I got a question.

http://www.letsplaying.com/lets-playing/FF5FF/players.php

What's the berserker risk mean?

Edit: Oh, I see. It's another option to guarantee you an extra berserker. Yeah, don't think I'm that much of a bad dude :v:

I have been playing with a party of 4 Berserkers for shits and giggles. It's enjoyable except for the Sandworm fight because apparently you have a 1/6 chance of hitting it with a Berserker instead of 1/3 like it should be, and then when you add in the accuracy penalty on Berserker weapons you just end up cursing the RNG. Though once you level up enough to beat it with a sane number of tries then a lot of the stuff afterwards is pretty simple because you're probably a bit overleveled.