Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

LmaoTheKid posted:

Nope, is it any good? I can only take Barker a book or two at a time. I have the Hellbound Heart waiting but I'm probably taking a break again after Imajica. Should I add that to my list?

I enjoyed it at the time, but to be honest my tastes have changed an awful lot since then and it may in fact be terrible.

if you want absolutely revolting horror-sex it has that in spades though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Amethyst posted:

cool

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Amethyst posted:

I enjoyed it at the time, but to be honest my tastes have changed an awful lot since then and it may in fact be terrible.

Nah, I wasn't actively seeking it. I'll add it to my goodreads list for down the road.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Have we talked about Richard Morgans stuff itt?

I liked the Takeshi Kovacs books, and I'm partway through the cold commands. Entertaining, not sure I need to know all the specifics of each sexual encounter his characters have in the course of his books

Thirteen/Black Man is a stand alone and pretty good

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Economist Paul Krugman Is a Hard-Core Science Fiction Fan

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Looking at this title I for some reason connected it to the one where the monks are asking for the names of god...

Was pleasantly surprised

http://downlode.org/Etext/nine_billion_names_of_god.html

def not as good, but its clarke~

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
i really like the last question and nine billion names of god, end-of-the-world short story stuff is probably my favorite thing to read

this may be because one of my first major sci-fi reading influences was a collection of short stories titled The Last Man On Earth which I found when I was like 10

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

overdesigned posted:

i really like the last question and nine billion names of god, end-of-the-world short story stuff is probably my favorite thing to read

this may be because one of my first major sci-fi reading influences was a collection of short stories titled The Last Man On Earth which I found when I was like 10

while not science fiction, neil gaiman has a great one in that vein called We Can Get Them for You Wholesale

like mostly anything the dude writes, it got made into a comic but i think it's pretty passable as just words

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
speaking of gaiman, y'all know that hbo is making american gods into a show right

because they are

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ugh american gods was so dull

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
no u

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
i've read almost no neil gaiman, maybe I should. I've read Sandman, which owned, and also Good Omens, which he wrote with Terry Pratchett, and was amazing, but that's it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
American Gods was pretty great imo. If you really like it try Neverwhere and Stardust. If you're meh on it, then probably don't.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

in this exciting chapter of american gods: unbelievably mundane details of the most boring protagonist in the world's life

Maybe he'll do coin tricks from a book? maybe he'll go for a walk down a snowy road?

only way to find out is to read on!

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

So I look up a book rating on amazon.com, 4.0 for Spin, look up Hunger Games and it gets 4.5

gently caress you amazon, not credible at all!

If you want something to read, start out here, work your way up or down, just skip 2010 holky gently caress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

overdesigned posted:

American Gods was pretty great imo. If you really like it try Neverwhere and Stardust. If you're meh on it, then probably don't.

watch stardust, wait for neverwhere the movie coming to theatre soon*

read his short storie collections

and anything/everything sandman if you like a 90s fantasy fix

*good reads but not his best stuff

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I enjoyed American Gods and Neverwhere too :shobon:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

skip gaiman, read clive barker's weaveworld and immagica instead

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

Amethyst posted:

skip gaiman

dont do this

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

skip every 2nd page

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i have read most of gaimian's books and liked them all. also the audiobook of american gods is very good

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I think I picked up American Gods and Neverwhere for 99 cents each a while back on Amazon. Did not regret either purchase :smug:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homercles posted:

So I look up a book rating on amazon.com, 4.0 for Spin, look up Hunger Games and it gets 4.5

gently caress you amazon, not credible at all!

If you want something to read, start out here, work your way up or down, just skip 2010 holky gently caress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

i'm a little surprised rainbows end won a hugo. i thought it was okay, but it was far from great

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kneel, Gay Man ;-*

Any POS posters read any Steve Aylett..? He's my current :allears: writer... Most of his best stuff is still paper-only, but if you fancy a kindle ebook dabble have a look at Slaughtermatic, Toxicology and Lint

The latter is especially good; its a satire of pulp writing and general media weirdness from the 60s to 90s, laugh/snort-worthy.

http://www.wikipedia.com/Jeff_Lint

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
idk if any of you have hbogo, but just so's you know they just added the first six trek movies and maybe more

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm a little surprised rainbows end won a hugo. i thought it was okay, but it was far from great

I just finished reading it and it's definitely a disappointment.

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
mlyp

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Davethulhu posted:

I just finished reading it and it's definitely a disappointment.

yeah. i've read it twice just to give it a fair shake. i liked it more the second time, because my expectations were appropriately low. when it first came out it was his first book in a long time, and i was expecting more.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

skip gaiman, read clive barker's weaveworld and immagica instead

quotin dis, been 25 years but iirc weaveworld was the best clive barker

homercles posted:

I didn't know the hugo was named after hugo gernsback

first time I read about that guy was in william gibson's short story the gernsback continuum in burning chrome

pretty late to this thread but seriously has there been a better sci fi published since necromancer

edit: it's artless so hard to compare to neuromancer but vacuum diagrams by stephen baxter is about the best I've read in the past 25 years, endlessly imaginative, hard science, a conflict that spans the size and age of our universe etc, doesn't get any grander

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 4, 2012

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is that show Continuum any good?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that bad, huh?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Is it based on the video game?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

shrughes posted:

Is it based on the video game?

that game owned

toby
Dec 4, 2002

This is because Paul Krugman owns forever

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like I've been the victim of a widespread Internet prank having read the game of thrones books

I can't believe there are people talking about them like it's not embarassing to be reading them. Seems like back before the HBO show the lovely writing and wolfshirt fan base were very fertile ground for comedy now people are talking about reading the books without any shame.

Does a decent show or movie retroactively improve a pile of poo poo it was based on?

really makes u think

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Whatever, the first 3 books were pretty good.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Amethyst posted:

man I haven't even thought about Barker in years. Did he ever finish that trilogy? the one that started with the great and secret show?

the second book was just brutal

iirc Barker got screwed up a bit as a kid because his gramma would tell him if he misbehaved/touched himself (i forget) there'd be a black man waiting in the bathroom to cut his wenis off

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Seriously, forget about GRRM finishing ASOIAF, loving finish The Arts trilogy Barker!

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

sorry about your lovely taste, wolfshirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

and by books 4 and 5 you're drinking along with cersei and tyrion

i blocked blacked out whole scenes of adwd only to be reminded of how horribe they are by the bad thread

• Locked thread