Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
You know, while I would definitely disagree that Brutal Doom wrecks the balance of Doom, I have to say that the hitscan enemy boost and the jumping imps definitely don't help anything adn the mod would be better off without them.

Holding back and picking enemies off from far away was never fun in Doom. I always had more fun rushing up close, weaving through the enemies and generally being a total spaz. Brutal Doom only makes this more satisfying, with the improved gore, the new melee attacks and whatnot, but then it makes a total 180 turn and punishes you harshly for getting close to/facing the 3 most common enemies in the game. Hell the sergeants and imps probably make up for the brunt of my deaths in Brutal Doom and that just doesn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Dominic White posted:

You seem to be in this weird state of denial that any setting below UV exists. That seems to be the entire core of your problem here. Yes, for the longest time, UV was the only difficulty setting that anyone played. That has changed. Now there are actually five difficulty settings!

You're in denial about games actually having thought put into them.

I refuse to believe anyone who's playing a proper wad with this garbage on is doing anything other than IDDQDing when the going gets a bit tougher. So many fights in DV2 etc are reliant on the BFG and how it works, and the Brutal variant works in a completely different way and applies self-damage. If you can't see how this breaks stuff then you need to actually play some proper wads.

Also it seems to drop the FPS down to 10 in Minas Morgul, using a days-old build of GZDoom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Dude's right though, Brutal Doom just plain makes a lot of wads, especially older ones, less fun. There's plenty of wads its loving AMAZING FUN with of course, but not all!

It's also kind of unavoidable that this would happen. WADs planned entirely around the idea that all your ammo and monsters you place will operate under the regular Doom rules tend to have issues when those are radically changed. Couldn't prevent that unless all Brutal Doom was was a texture and audio mod with no game mechanics changes!

In summary: Brutal Doom can be great or it can be horrible. It depends on what you're playing with it.

Manboy No 5
Oct 29, 2007

Dominic White posted:

You seem to be in this weird state of denial that any setting below UV exists. That seems to be the entire core of your problem here. Yes, for the longest time, UV was the only difficulty setting that anyone played. That has changed. Now there are actually five difficulty settings!

A wad designed for vanilla monster and item behaviour on UV

with Brutal Doom

on I'm Too Young to Die

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tiger Schwert posted:

Also it seems to drop the FPS down to 10 in Minas Morgul, using a days-old build of GZDoom.

The framerate drops hard even without Brutal Doom. Deus Vult 2 is an anomaly - it does some seriously weird things with the Doom engine that ZDoom-based source-ports just don't like. And of course it'd be lame if you tried running it with Brutal Doom - it's the biggest pile of monster-spam in the history of Doom!

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

Couldn't prevent that unless all Brutal Doom was was a texture and audio mod with no game mechanics changes!

Would that be any worse than what its like right now? Sure some things like firing one barrel of the SSG at a time are nice touches, but I don't think I ever heard anyone crying out for imps to be able to jump and people only seem to like it for the gore/weapon effects, truth be told.

And there's something for that, it's called Beautiful Doom. Last time I played it there were some slight gameplay changes, but to a smaller extent than Brutal Doom, and there's the added advantage of the developer not wanting to sample gore from real life pictures of shotgun suicides and car crashes.

I'd posit that any wad worth playing is made worthless by Brutal Doom. But I guess the same people who love Brutal Doom also love stuff like KDIZD.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Dominic White posted:

The framerate drops hard even without Brutal Doom. Deus Vult 2 is an anomaly - it does some seriously weird things with the Doom engine that ZDoom-based source-ports just don't like. And of course it'd be lame if you tried running it with Brutal Doom - it's the biggest pile of monster-spam in the history of Doom!

I've cleared DVII multiple times using various builds of Skulltag, GZDoom etc and have never had framerate problems. The only wad that has ever given me trouble is sunder.wad on one or two maps.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Dominic White posted:

No it doesn't. I just ran map12 of dvii on the latest zdoom with and without brutal doom. Without brutal doom it ran flawlessly. With brutal doom it slowed down to 5fps when I approached the yellow keycard barrier. I did this in both opengl mode and software.

Also please don't call dvii 'the biggest pile of monster-spam in the history of Doom', it has some of the most intelligently choreographed fights in any doom wad. It ain't nuts.wad.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

You know I do loving hate the 'art' thing many games are trying for but I do feel like there is just a certain...purity? to Vanilla Doom gameplay that the weapon mods just do away with completely, Brutal Doom included. Don't get me wrong though, I have zero objection to playing with weapon mods or the like - authorial intent is one thing, but on the other hand if the player wants to add a dozen mods on top of a perfectly balanced SP wad he's got just as much right to do that as the author does to complain about it.

quote:

but to a smaller extent than Brutal Doom, and there's the added advantage of the developer not wanting to sample gore from real life pictures of shotgun suicides and car crashes.
:stare: I don't want to be too reactionary here but is that true?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Brutal Doom is too hard? What the gently caress? While, lately, I'm not a huge fan of some of the tweaks, I also can't really complain. It's just downright fun, and even better in multiplayer. It works with most wads, and if it doesn't there is Brutal Doom lite, which is compatible with other weaponmods and wads regular BD isn't.

Tiger Schwert posted:

I'd posit that any wad worth playing is made worthless by Brutal Doom. But I guess the same people who love Brutal Doom also love stuff like KDIZD.

:ughh:

No accounting for taste. Try playing with a friend or two if things get hard. In fact, I'm hosting a Brutal Doom server right now. What wads do you guys want?

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Jblade posted:

You know I do loving hate the 'art' thing many games are trying for but I do feel like there is just a certain...purity? to Vanilla Doom gameplay that the weapon mods just do away with completely, Brutal Doom included. Don't get me wrong though, I have zero objection to playing with weapon mods or the like - authorial intent is one thing, but on the other hand if the player wants to add a dozen mods on top of a perfectly balanced SP wad he's got just as much right to do that as the author does to complain about it.

:stare: I don't want to be too reactionary here but is that true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGrVjGueSKI

quote:

Today I decided to take the gore of Brutal Doom to a whole new level!
Through these two years of development, some gib sprites from Nashgore still remained, so, I decided to make whole new sprites to replace them. Where to find the material? Making fake wax pieces of gore myself and taking pics of it? No, but searching the internet for REAL gore, and trying to turn pieces of these pictures of REAL DEAD PEOPLE into sprites.

In this demostrative video you can see 3 pieces of REAL GORE: These pinky brain pieces at 00:07 were taken from a picture of a guy wich got his head ran over by a bus, and his brain splattered all over the street. The eye globe at 00:10 is taken from a guy that got his face shoot by a shotgun at point blank. These generic meat pieces flying at 01:10 are from a pic of a guy butchered by the mexican cartels.

I'm not going to remake ALL sprites using real gore because it takes a lot of time, and it takes hours searching for pictures with the gore in an useable condidtion and angle to be used, but if anybody knows where I can find a clear picture of exposed human entrails, please send the link via PM

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Thank God that someone finally had the courage to step up and speak out about Brutal Doom so that others could come forward. I have it on good authority that SgtMark is not only the guy who runs rotten.com, but he is not even a sergeant in the U.S. military!

While we're making sweeping passive aggressive insults like calling people KDIZD fans, Predator 2 blows and Danny Glover sucks! But Brutal Doom is awesome. For me. Personally. I mean, it's my opinion.

EDIT for actual content: Has anyone tried Psychic with Heretic? I think Heretic's weapons and (to a lesser extent) enemies are suuuper boring, so I was wondering if Psychic helped on that front. We need a Brutal Heretic, more for pacing than gore.

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jblade posted:

This is basically my thought entirely, I really don't care that people are playing with "awesome" gameplay mods, but I'm absolutely opposed to the way it's completely dominated Doom discussion here lately, and the implications people have been making that it's like, a mandantory mod to make modern-day Dooming enjoyable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dominic White posted:

This hasn't been true since like, Plutonia.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is basically my thought entirely, I really don't care that people are playing with "awesome" gameplay mods, but I'm absolutely opposed to the way it's completely dominated Doom discussion here lately, and the implications people have been making that it's like, a mandantory mod to make modern-day Dooming enjoyable.

So discuss something else. It dominates the discussion because people like it, I'm so sorry that you don't and thus feel put out.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I really disagree with idea of people playing wads like Scythe or AV for the first time with brutal doom enabled. Since brutal doom changes the core behaviour of several weapons and monsters - barons shooting a 3 fireball burst, enhanced hitscanners and the aforementioned BFG changes and so on - it breaks the choreography of many of the fights. Good wad design relies very heavily on balancing what weapons the player has and the monsters you then throw at them.

Do megawads justice they deserve and play through them with vanilla doom 2 first.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't think it's really a big deal, or the only wad to play. It's just a whole lot of fun and one of the only Doom things being updated on any sort of regular schedule. That's why we only really talk about 2-3 wads here, anymore. I still love to play vanilla, or class wads, or any wads. I just play BD when I want to slaughter the poo poo out of things with friends.

God drat, I want Brutal Heretic so bad.

Also, I found a Doom64 WAD for Skulltag, and I'm putting it up with Brutal Doom. It's slightly buggy, as in, the new and old skins clash sometimes, but it's also extremely entertaining.

If you need the cdoom64.wad file, go here: http://thepit.no-ip.org/wads/

GoonDoom - 71.88.44.16:36108 - Doom64 with Brutal Doom.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ExMortis posted:

EDIT for actual content: Has anyone tried Psychic with Heretic? I think Heretic's weapons and (to a lesser extent) enemies are suuuper boring, so I was wondering if Psychic helped on that front. We need a Brutal Heretic, more for pacing than gore.

I hadn't tried Psychic before so I gave it a spin with Heretic. Seems good to me! I really don't like having to run after the coins constantly though, they really should vacuum in when you get close, or just have a much larger collection radius. But otherwise, it's pretty fun and it actually fits pretty well with Heretic.

But what the heck is the deal with the Needle Gun? It's supposed to be for underwater? Can you even go underwater in any game on this engine?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cowabunga, friends. Just made a quick video of the hot new way to play wads. Let's get brutal, man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ouKUubJpk

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The needlegun does a lot of damage, specifically to low health enemies like gargoyles and golems, but the range on it is pretty poor and the constant reloading only makes it marginally and situationally useful. Upgrading it increases range, but I don't know if it does anything about the reloading.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Russian Overkill update is out and boy are the weapon changes very much welcome! most of the weapons that had very little use before have been given some serious improvements. In particular:
the Stachanov's (charging laser thing) alternate fire lays down a temporary beam turret on any surface it hits against.
the Pushkin (rapid fire rocket launcher) no longer has zoom and now lays down a swarm of barrels for it's alt fire.
all the characters have upgraded melee capability, so you can play as more than marty and have a grand ol' time.

I've yet to try everything though, so there could be much more.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tiger Schwert posted:

I refuse to believe anyone who's playing a proper wad with this garbage on is doing anything other than IDDQDing when the going gets a bit tougher. So many fights in DV2 etc are reliant on the BFG and how it works, and the Brutal variant works in a completely different way and applies self-damage. If you can't see how this breaks stuff then you need to actually play some proper wads.

I've read through everything you've said and can conclude that you sound like a pretty arrogant nerd who confuses opinions with facts.

I play "proper" WADs with BD on UV. I get frustrated, but I never cheat. When EPIC 2 plopped me down in front of an arch-vile and 4 Cyberdemons, I figured that poo poo out. I have legitimately beat WADS like Plutonia, Scythe 1, 2, and X (episodes 1 + 2), and EPIC 2. On the aggregate, I enjoyed doing these things, as well.

You seem to have this delusion that there is a secret "correct" way to do things, and anybody who deviates from this is a moron who shouldn't be playing Doom in the first place. Surprisingly, people like things that you do not like, and instead of accepting that difference in opinion, you're trying to tell them that they are flat out wrong.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For what it's worth, I enjoy Brutal Doom a lot more than vanilla Doom, but then, I don't play on Ultraviolent, nor do I play Deus Vult - I've only tried it with vanilla on Hurt Me Plenty.

Also, I like the regeneration, but the screen cracks can gently caress right off and the overdone effects can make it hard to tell what's going on at times.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I hadn't tried Psychic before so I gave it a spin with Heretic. Seems good to me! I really don't like having to run after the coins constantly though, they really should vacuum in when you get close, or just have a much larger collection radius. But otherwise, it's pretty fun and it actually fits pretty well with Heretic.

It would be nice if you could buy an upgrade to suck the coins in from further away; I like that it encourages you to get up close and personal, but there are a few places where that's a real problem and I could see it being aggravating a lot more often in Heretic, which I remember having long-range firefights a lot more frequently than Doom.

In general I feel that the upgrades in Psychic are pretty lacklustre, though - the mod starts out strong but has no staying power.

quote:

But what the heck is the deal with the Needle Gun? It's supposed to be for underwater? Can you even go underwater in any game on this engine?

The bit about it being an underwater is flavour and has no impact on gameplay (since, as you noted, you can't even go underwater).

Upgrade it once and the range increases dramatically, making it a decent weapon between the high accuracy and high damage. It doesn't do anything about the reloading, though.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Russian Overkill for Heretic?

WHAAAAA?!

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I don't like the new zombiemen voices, screen cracks suck, and the shotgunners could do with a nerf! Whoa, BDoom isn't perfect, holy poo poo. Who cares, play what you want. I spend more time playing Skulltag online anyway. BDoom is hilarious with friends.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I really don't like Brutal Doom, either, so as a result, I just don't use it. Problem solved! Playing all of those superhard wads on hardcore mode is enough challenge for me forever, thanks, and I'm not all that interested in the gameplay "improvements". If other people crave jumping imps and lots of gibs and blood, great for them, go for it!

Manboy No 5
Oct 29, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've read through everything you've said and can conclude that you sound like a pretty arrogant nerd who confuses opinions with facts.

I play "proper" WADs with BD on UV. I get frustrated, but I never cheat. When EPIC 2 plopped me down in front of an arch-vile and 4 Cyberdemons, I figured that poo poo out. I have legitimately beat WADS like Plutonia, Scythe 1, 2, and X (episodes 1 + 2), and EPIC 2. On the aggregate, I enjoyed doing these things, as well.

You seem to have this delusion that there is a secret "correct" way to do things, and anybody who deviates from this is a moron who shouldn't be playing Doom in the first place. Surprisingly, people like things that you do not like, and instead of accepting that difference in opinion, you're trying to tell them that they are flat out wrong.

Did it occur to you when you were swearing at Scythe map 24's author that you were messing up the wad with Brutal Doom and making it unfair instead of challenging?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Manboy No 5 posted:

Did it occur to you when you were swearing at Scythe map 24's author that you were messing up the wad with Brutal Doom and making it unfair instead of challenging?

I felt similar when I played it without Brutal Doom. Did that occur to you?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I don't really like where this Brutal Doom discussion is going (aka a lot of poo poo slinging), so I have a question: What are some of the best HL1 mods out there (not counting "official" Valve sanctioned mods)? I've already tried Scientist Slaughterhouse (not very good actually), and have Sven Coop installed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

misterdoo01 posted:

I don't really like where this Brutal Doom discussion is going (aka a lot of poo poo slinging), so I have a question: What are some of the best HL1 mods out there (not counting "official" Valve sanctioned mods)? I've already tried Scientist Slaughterhouse (not very good actually), and have Sven Coop installed.

USS Darkstar is great. It's not a mod in the sense that it's changing the original game, but it's a completely new singleplayer campaign.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

misterdoo01 posted:

Rocket Crowbar, if you can find it, is a fantastically over the top deathmatch mod (the crowbar fires drunken rockets, the pistol shoots antimatter, the hivehand is a freeze ray, the grenades create black holes, etc) that also works in singleplayer (and any SP campaign that works with the base game).

Sven Co-Op is generally excellent, although a lot depends on how good the maps you're playing through are - there are a lot of poo poo maps for it.

Manke's mods - the They Hunger trilogy and the USS Darkstar campaign - are generally considered some of the best available.

If you're looking for more multiplayer stuff, I enjoyed the poo poo out of Natural Selection back in the day, but I have no idea if anyone plays it anymore.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

misterdoo01 posted:

Natural Selection, The Specialists, Earth Special Forces, BrainBread, Vampire Slayer, Action HL, RocketCrowbar, Firearms, Half-Life Paintball, Jailbreak, and I'm sure more I can't remember.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm very fond of the Xeno Project.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

misterdoo01 posted:

Poke646 is the greatest singleplayer HL mod with the worst name ever, ever.

Manboy No 5
Oct 29, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I felt similar when I played it without Brutal Doom. Did that occur to you?

It's good you played it UV first. It'd be a pity if a lot of people were playing carefully crafted maps with BD the first time through, as they'd be missing out on the effort put in by the author's hundred playthroughs and adjustments. The sentiment that BD "drags Doom into the year 2011" may lead people to miss out enjoying maps leagues ahead of the originals by id.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Manboy No 5 posted:

It's good you played it UV first. It'd be a pity if a lot of people were playing carefully crafted maps with BD the first time through, as they'd be missing out on the effort put in by the author's hundred playthroughs and adjustments. The sentiment that BD "drags Doom into the year 2011" may lead people to miss out enjoying maps leagues ahead of the originals by id.

No, I would agree with that. I say the same thing about, say, Fallout: New Vegas or Skyrim. It's definitely better to play most games and WADs as their creators intended. In that sense, I understand where people criticize Brutal Doom as the "New Doom." I just don't agree with the "Brutal Doom is wrong" sentiment.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Point of View is absolutely brilliant.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manboy No 5 posted:

~^*my pure doom gaming experience*^~
It's singleplayer, bub, stop being insufferable about how people play their singleplayer games. If someone wants to use a WAD that changes all the imps into health pickups and makes every gun fire Homestuck characters, that's their decision and it doesn't affect you. If they find it fun, they find it fun. It's not going to detract from your vanilla run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stuntman posted:

~^*my pure doom gaming experience*^~
It's singleplayer, bub, stop being insufferable about how people play their singleplayer games. If someone wants to use a WAD that changes all the imps into health pickups and makes every gun fire Homestuck characters, that's their decision and it doesn't affect you. If they find it fun, they find it fun. It's not going to detract from your vanilla run.

I really don't care if you enjoy Doom II: My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic edition in your own spare time, whatever makes you have fun is fine. What I have a problem with is the "Brutal Doom is Real Doom" narrative that's been going on the last several months in this thread (seriously, I can find like, one post about Doom for every page of Brutal Doom discussion), and the implication that Brutal Doom is a necessary gameplay mod to make Doom acceptable for modern play, ignoring that it plays badly with most .wads more difficult than Memento Mori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On the plus side, it's not as bad as people recommending KDIZD.