Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

a kitten posted:

For the tome there is a non-violent solution: it's in a chest at the very, very top of their ruined tower/fortress place, you have to jump and climb a bit to get there. You can just waltz right out afterwords

If you massively level it like I did and play a sorcerer just drop a maelstrom in the middle and it will kill everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So, I'm level 15 or so, and in the middle of a bandit camp trying to do this quest as now I'm terrified all of my quests are hosed, thing is these bandits are hard as hell, how am I supposed to do this?

When there are bandits like that early on-- run. It's really effective, provided you don't need to kill them to pass your objective. Headed to witchwood? Run like hell. They'll never catch you; if you're quick enough, and lucky, you won't even lose a pawn. Don't worry; it gets easier. Sadly. Circumventing the bandit menace was pretty entertaining.

Kingtheninja posted:

Do monsters instantly respawn at night or something? I was doing the hillfigure knoll quest at night, and ended up fighting an endless amount of direwolves. Literally til the sun came up.

I *think* wolves can summon other wolves. Night is generally horrifying, and often ends up being one huge melee, especially around and north of Gran Soren. Curious; did you have a lantern out? I've been wondering if that affects anything.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

You can buy a dress at The Black Cat that'll trick the bandit camp when worn.

Is there any advantage in doing this or is the end result the same if I just slaughter them all?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pierson posted:

Man what's with those sword-and-shield bandits they sprinkle into bandit packs at the start of the game that are about five times tougher than their buddies? I've started a new game playing as a strider and since the game has no dodge I'm really feeling the pain from those guys. :(

There is a dodge (and double jump), you just need to get strider to vocation rank 5 to unlock it. It really does feel like a necessary part of the class though, when I switch to things without daggers it really reminds me how reliant on the dodge I am.

Also, once you get Ensnare, you'll be laughing at those sword and shield bandits while you're knocking them down and throwing them over cliffs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there any advantage in doing this or is the end result the same if I just slaughter them all?

There's an actual quest at the women's bandit camp you can do if you go in there with an all female party (or any men wearing a dress). You can get a non-violent one from a woman on the other side of the gate or a violent one that conflicts with another quest by talking to the leader of the bandits.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok how the heck do I beat Savan? I get him down to no health and he just keeps pulling an intakill on me

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

NESguerilla posted:

Ok how the heck do I beat Savan? I get him down to no health and he just keeps pulling an intakill on me

Give Savan a little space when you get him to zero health. Your pawn will run in, grab him, and then you run in and hit him to end the fight.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
The game looks sick and I'm thinking about picking it up but I know very little about it. It'd be cool if one of you could write a couple of paragraphs on how open-ended and deep it is in comparison to a game like Skyrim. Replayability, world, dungeons, that sort of thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, that's weird. I have done this three times now and my pawn never grabs him. So, the godsbane isn't necessary for the fight?

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Odd question out of the blue. I notice Assassin has a skill that boosts power when alone. Is there a way to dismiss the main pawn temporarily? Or do I just chuck them into the brine?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Mimic posted:

When there are bandits like that early on-- run. It's really effective, provided you don't need to kill them to pass your objective. Headed to witchwood? Run like hell. They'll never catch you; if you're quick enough, and lucky, you won't even lose a pawn. Don't worry; it gets easier. Sadly. Circumventing the bandit menace was pretty entertaining.

For some reason thought they had the "hunt for blood" AI that would never stop chasing me so was always detered, I murdered every bandit group no matter what leading up to the chief though, that sure was fun.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wanted to make a bad-rear end strider Geralt of Rivia (from the Witcher games/novels) but messed up. It doesn't really show in the screenshot, but he is way too feminine and weird-looking, and his pony tail clips through EVERYTHING. He makes the best faces, though, and makes me laugh every time he shows up in a cutscene. I can forget about taking anything remotely seriously!

I'm pretty happy with his best friend/pawn Zoltan, though. He looks like a world-weary warrior with a hangover and serious sleep-deprivation.

BFFs :unsmith:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 3, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

BBFs forever :unsmith:

It's a dog's life, Geralt, I'll tell you that much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Man, that's weird. I have done this three times now and my pawn never grabs him. So, the godsbane isn't necessary for the fight?

The Godsbane starts new game plus.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's a really good Geralt and Zoltan, I gotta say. Shame you can't make the beard crazier--I personally find there's only two or three facial hair cuts that really "work," you know?

So I'm having what seems to be a problem: I've got the quest "Parcel Delivery Service." I go to Soulflayer Canyon, where it says the parcels are supposed to be, right? I've cleared the place out three times and found nothing remotely like a parcel. I'm still 0/10 for quest objectives. What gives?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Every single one of NESguerilla's posts in this thread are hilarious.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I gained 3 levels of warrior while I made breakfast this morning using the cheese method of getting vocation xp I posted previously. It is really slow though. It's useful if you're getting sick of a fighting style and just want to grab an augment before dropping it.

Warrior especially combined with the assassin night strength augment is powerful but I didn't like it as much as the bow classes or fighter. It's amusing to launch goblins into the stratosphere but no range attack and sucking at climbing big mobs isn't as fun. My sorcerer pawn does most of the actual killing anyway.

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

Lotish posted:

That's a really good Geralt and Zoltan, I gotta say. Shame you can't make the beard crazier--I personally find there's only two or three facial hair cuts that really "work," you know?

So I'm having what seems to be a problem: I've got the quest "Parcel Delivery Service." I go to Soulflayer Canyon, where it says the parcels are supposed to be, right? I've cleared the place out three times and found nothing remotely like a parcel. I'm still 0/10 for quest objectives. What gives?

Same thing happened to me. It looks like you need to have "The Conspirators" quest active and in full swing (as in, the cutscene that takes you to that place has happened) in order for all the mail to spawn. That should let you collect the parcels.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

If anyone wants a level 48 mage support pawn my PSN ID is Jose1Jose. She's utilitarian primary/medicant secondary and has High comestion/High Levin as damage spells then High Anodyne/Spellscreen/Halidom and Holy affinity. She's actually an excellent support pawn but do not take her to the Evil Eye, she was useless. Either getting knocked down or climbing it when not for some weird reason. She has all the mage/sorcerer augments too.

Friend request sent, now that I'm a sorc I have been looking for a good support Mage. Seems very few people keep support mages past 40, or I'm unlucky to find a good one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lotish posted:

You also get them all at once in a big pile, so the fact that you need 10 is kinda deceptive and makes you think you'll be getting them constantly through the canyon.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Can anyone give me some advice for Land of Opportunity?

I found Jasper, Sara, and Pip, but I need to check with Jasper's wife and child, who don't appear as quest markers on the map. I've been running all over the city looking for them but can't find them. Where are they? :(

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Can anyone give me some advice for Land of Opportunity?

I found Jasper, Sara, and Pip, but I need to check with Jasper's wife and child, who don't appear as quest markers on the map. I've been running all over the city looking for them but can't find them. Where are they? :(

Um, Sarah and Pip are Jasper's wife and child.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
What the hell, the wiki says that they're two separate people.

I switched pawns at the guild and now Jasper's showing as a quest marker on the map, that was strange.

Edit: Goddamnit, I can't turn in Land of Opportunity because Fournival is in the process of being arrested.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Uh, so, I just beat the game.... And I happened to do a number of quests for that Fourneval guy.

So that means I'm his gay lover now? What? What the hell? I mean, it's hilarious, but totally unexpected.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tufty posted:

Every single one of NESguerilla's posts in this thread are hilarious.

I seriously had no idea what the gently caress was going on for like the last 5 hours of the game.

E:or possibly the entire game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 4, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Uh, so, I just beat the game.... And I happened to do a number of quests for that Fourneval guy.

So that means I'm his gay lover now? What? What the hell? I mean, it's hilarious, but totally unexpected.

It's just based on who you have the highest affinity with, which leads to some awkward moments like the one you described.

In other news, it's taken my dumb rear end over 100 hours of playing to realize that you can go to the forger guy and give him a material to get a duplicate of it. It's pretty expensive (100k+) for the rarer stuff, but it's still a lot easier then actually having to go and find/kill a half dozen archydras.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

What the hell, the wiki says that they're two separate people.

I switched pawns at the guild and now Jasper's showing as a quest marker on the map, that was strange.
If you rest until Morning at an inn he's busy not existing for another couple of hours.

VDay posted:

In other news, it's taken my dumb rear end over 100 hours of playing to realize that you can go to the forger guy and give him a material to get a duplicate of it. It's pretty expensive (100k+) for the rarer stuff, but it's still a lot easier then actually having to go and find/kill a half dozen archydras.
Oh hey. I wonder what his price for Seeker Tokens is.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
What's the use of all these Rift Badges you collect for the DLC quests? Are you just supposed to sell them?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Eddain posted:

What's the use of all these Rift Badges you collect for the DLC quests? Are you just supposed to sell them?

Don't sell them! Hold on to them! I'm sure you'll get a crappy reward for purchasing all the DLC and completing all 100 of the lovely 'quests'.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Where the heck is Reynard in NG+? I'm about to see the Duke and I have not yet seen him once anywhere. I missed his quest the first time around, so I want to grab it this time.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The "kill x number of monsters" quests from the bulletin boards are what I expected the DLC quests to be. The ones we actually got, Behind the Sky, or whatever they're called are ridiculously stupid and I'm pretty pissed I spent whatever number of Microsoft bux to buy the first batch of the stupid things.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zereth posted:

Oh hey. I wonder what his price for Seeker Tokens is.

About 1,300 a piece. Considering the payoff is 200,000, it's a pretty fair trade.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hell Diver posted:

About 1,300 a piece. Considering the payoff is 200,000, it's a pretty fair trade.
poo poo, I only need like 8, that beats jumping around on the roofs trying to remember which loving chest spawns one or heading down the the beach by the staring town.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

a kitten posted:

and I'm pretty pissed I spent whatever number of Microsoft bux to buy the first batch of the stupid things.

It cost a loving dollar dude.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If they fine-tune how it works, I'd pay real money for more bosses like the Ur-Dragon. At this point it's slow going, but the idea behind the Ur-Dragon is fantastic. New, big boss that drops a whole new set of treasure.

I go out of my way not to put that armor on my pawn because 90% of the pawns I see are women in the Void armor with the g-string. It's a goddamn sight to behold to see a girl wearing something different and isn't pigeon-toed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

VDay posted:

It cost a loving dollar dude.

:sweatdrop: Oh, so it did. Well I'm a dollar's worth of annoyed then, which I'll admit, isn't very annoyed after all. I was just hoping for something like an actual quest I guess.

You Look Adopted
Mar 31, 2010
I got only a few levels into Strider and just maxed out Ranger. So far I'm loving it but is there any must have augments I should get for Ranger?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm guessing the dead end in the Quarry will be a legitimate DLC quest. The closed store in the market square of Gran Soren is also pretty suspicious. Just to note, there's most likely 8 weeks of weekly DLC quests left, which are probably gonna follow the same A Different Sky + more interesting thing pattern.

I still think A Different Sky is redeemable as A Thing if they get ridiculously difficult to get to the tokens, but it still won't be worth $10 :(

e:

You Look Adopted posted:

I got only a few levels into Strider and just maxed out Ranger. So far I'm loving it but is there any must have augments I should get for Ranger?
The strength upgrades that warriors and fighters get apply to your longbow, but they both take a lot of time as one of those classes to get. If you don't want to play as a melee class at all, I'd say keep playing as the ranger. Otherwise, it'd be worth the several hours of clobbering to get rank 9 in warrior and pick up Clout, Proficiency, and Impact (though only if Impact applies to ranged attacks...)

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 4, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

You Look Adopted posted:

I don't know if Ranger gets them, but Double Jump and Dodge Roll are pretty great. Magic Archer and Assassin get them, not sure about Ranger or Strider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Everyone that can use daggers can double jump and roll. Everyone with a staff or archistaff can levitate.

• Locked thread