Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
N'thing the recommendation for making your own bread. Making good bread may not actually be cheaper than buying lovely bread, but it's definitely cheaper than buying good bread, and nothing builds kitchen confidence like making bread.

It's also a great way to eat on the cheap: I find that sticking a hunk of good bread next to pretty much anything makes it a meal. One of my favourite lazy lunches/dinners is just a bunch of greens, sauteed with some pork (you don't need much, and the more concentrated the flavour of the pork is, the less you'll need), tossed in a bowl with some bread on the side. You can mix up the flavour profile you're going for almost infinitely, too. Fry up a couple ounces of pulled pork, or diced pork tongue, or whatever, add a bunch of shredded cabbage, cook it down, then add some dijon and a bit of honey near the end. It costs almost nothing, tastes great, and it isn't too bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I'd like to make that honey wheat bread using my stand mixer, but when it' a recipe for a single loaf I wonder if it's too little volume for it to mix properly.

Could I double the recipe and then freeze half of it for later? I just can't eat two loaves before they go bad!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
How big is your stand mixer? I have a 5 gt stand mixer and 1 loaf recipes are not a problem at all. Also kneading by hand is always an option. I don't really like to freeze and thaw bread, it never tastes as good as fresh. Maybe you have a friend or neighbor who would like some tasty homemade bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've never tried it, but I've heard that you can freeze bread after it has risen the second time and then just thaw it out and bake it when you want a fresh loaf. In fact I think I've even heard you can maybe freeze it after the first rise if you want but maybe I'm forgetting/misremembering.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Charmmi posted:

How big is your stand mixer? I have a 5 gt stand mixer and 1 loaf recipes are not a problem at all. Also kneading by hand is always an option. I don't really like to freeze and thaw bread, it never tastes as good as fresh. Maybe you have a friend or neighbor who would like some tasty homemade bread.

I think mine is 5qt too, it's the Kitchenaid Artisan. I am working on little counter space and the majority of space I have is a bartop/island that is juuuuust a little too high to make standing and kneading/chopping comfortable.

I'll report back.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Thanks everyone. I'll be on the look out for a crock pot.

Also think I will try some no knead bread this weekend, have not made bread in a while.

Anyone have a basic recipe for black beans and rice?

Attempted to make them the other day and they came out terrible. What I did (no one do this):

- Soak 1/2 cup black beans in water over night
- Next evening sauteed 1/2 cup white rice with a little olive oil and fresh minced garlic
- Drain beans and add rice into there plus cup of water
- Bring to boil, then cover and lower to simmer for 15 minutes until rice is done
- Be very disappointed

Some things I learned:
- Before soaking beans, sort them and pick out ones that apparently are lovely
- Do the same after soaking, also rinse the beans
- Cook beans for a lot longer

I am open for advise.

Also Wiggles, love you avatar/title

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Moey posted:

A tip for beans, put them in a pot full of water, heat to a rolling boil for 2 minutes. Take off heat and let sit 2 hours. Then drain and rinse, put in more water, boil until al dente.

I personally make my rice in a second pot and mix them together at the end. 2 parts rice to 3 parts water, uncovered boil for a minute, cover and lower heat, simmer for 20 minutes.

I'd also suggest adding spices. Cumin, for instance, goes great with beans!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Here's a recipe from cooks illustrated for black beans and brown rice - they had another one for cuban-style black beans and rice, but it was many more ingredients and steps, and you asked for basic.

Cooks Illustrated posted:

Why this recipe works:

To bump up the flavor of our basic brown rice recipe, we made a few easy additions. Caramelizing onions in a Dutch oven before stirring in the rice and incorporating chicken broth into the cooking liquid had a positive impact. Fresh herbs and a squeeze of citrus just before serving brightened our brown rice recipe.

Serves 4 to 6. Short-grain brown rice can also be used.

Ingredients

4 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups brown rice, long-grain (see note)
1 teaspoon salt
1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 lime, cut into wedges

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.

2. Add broth and water; cover and bring to boil. Remove pot from heat; stir in rice and salt. Cover and bake rice until tender, 65 to 70 minutes.

3. Remove pot from oven, uncover, fluff rice with fork, stir in beans, and replace lid; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and black pepper. Serve, passing lime wedges separately.

There's probably some way to convert this to slow cooker/crock pot cooking if needed, but that's a science beyond my ken.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/06/crockpot-beans-and-rice-recipe.html

This would give you a basic idea on how to make beans and rice. I would adjust the spices to my liking.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Happy Abobo posted:

N'thing the recommendation for making your own bread. Making good bread may not actually be cheaper than buying lovely bread, but it's definitely cheaper than buying good bread, and nothing builds kitchen confidence like making bread.

It's also a great way to eat on the cheap: I find that sticking a hunk of good bread next to pretty much anything makes it a meal. One of my favourite lazy lunches/dinners is just a bunch of greens, sauteed with some pork (you don't need much, and the more concentrated the flavour of the pork is, the less you'll need), tossed in a bowl with some bread on the side. You can mix up the flavour profile you're going for almost infinitely, too. Fry up a couple ounces of pulled pork, or diced pork tongue, or whatever, add a bunch of shredded cabbage, cook it down, then add some dijon and a bit of honey near the end. It costs almost nothing, tastes great, and it isn't too bad for you.

The Superstore I go to sells fresh Italian bread for 99 cents a loaf. It's the best bakery bread in town weirdly enough, the outside is just the right amount of crunchy and the inside is wonderfully soft.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Beans and rice really isn't complicated. Soak beans overnight. Drain. Add fresh water, and put atop the stove, over highest heat. When the water comes to a boil, let the beans boil fiercely for 10 minutes. Drop down the heat to medium low, and let the beans bubble away for however long it takes to cook them through.

When the beans are mostly cooked, sautee rice in oil, garlic, onions, and turmeric powder, along with a bit of salt. Sautee until the rice turns completely opaque. Dump the sauteed rice into the cooking beans, and add more boiling water until you've got the level of water about 2 inches and change above the level of the beans & rice. Let the water come back to a full boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Drop down the heat to medium low again, slam on the lid, and let it simmer for like 20 minutes. Everything will be done to a turn.

Beans take WAY longer to cook than rice, unless you're using split peas and brown rice (such as when making a dish called kicahdi or venn pongal). Cook them until they're done, but not quite tender (they'll still be a bit crunchy, but you'll see them cooked through), then add the rice, and you'll be fine.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

MuffinShark posted:

I'm not a fan of shopping at Vons, but they have had some great "just for u" coupons. Right now I can get $3 worth of free produce. While that doesn't seem like a lot, over the last three days I was able to pick up 10 packs of tofu and 12 mangos for $2.

Long story short, if you have a Vons nearby it is a good idea to get a Vons card. Everything is overprices, but the coupons they send me are worth the trip.
Safeway has something like this but it's all digital (is the Vons one paper coupons)? They customize deals based on your buying habits, which they know because of the stuff you buy with your Safeway card. They'll throw in stuff you don't normally buy as well. It changes every week but some deals stay valid for longer, and they're usually unlimited. Off the top of my head, they have offered me bananas for about .20-.30/lb cheaper than I can usually find here, cheap Safeway brand olive oil and pasta sauce, and soy milk and hummus for cheaper than even their best sale prices. All you do is use your card at checkout and it automatically applies. Some goons in Coupons mentioned having trouble with it but it's worked fine for me so far. Some weeks don't offer much but it's worth a shot. Plus you get free eggs for signing up.

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012

Moey posted:

Also think I will try some no knead bread this weekend, have not made bread in a while.

Attempted to make them the other day and they came out terrible. What I did (no one do this):

- Soak 1/2 cup black beans in water over night
- Next evening sauteed 1/2 cup white rice with a little olive oil and fresh minced garlic
- Drain beans and add rice into there plus cup of water
- Bring to boil, then cover and lower to simmer for 15 minutes until rice is done
- Be very disappointed

Some things I learned:
- Before soaking beans, sort them and pick out ones that apparently are lovely
- Do the same after soaking, also rinse the beans
- Cook beans for a lot longer

I am open for advise.

Also Wiggles, love you avatar/title

I like to cook the beans and rice seperately. Like Dino says, if you cook them together the rice gets really cooked down and paste-like.
I prefer to soak the beans for two days, rinsing twice a day, and then cook them with a cut up onion, and broth or cooked meat as a flavoring if I have it. This is not strictly vegetarian, but then neither am I. You can also add tomatoes, any of the savory type seasonings, celery, red pepper, the liquor you have left over from when you cooked the corned beef...pretty much anything to broaden out the basic bean taste. I also like cooking pintos with chick peas.
A good bean stew is soaked beans cooked with dried split pea, onion garlic celery ham-hock or ham-bone and salt and pepper to taste, and if you use some broth it makes it really tasty but water to cover the beans is fine.
I cook it in a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes.
If it comes out too soupy, mix it in with the rice.

Oh, Hey, EVG: I put extra dough in the fridge in plastic bags if I make more dough that I want to bake. You have to wrap it, otherwise it dries out. I've risen bread in the fridge for several days in pans when things got too busy to bake. It's not ideal, but I live in an imperfect world.

Desiree Cousteau fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 25, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dabbo posted:

Just did the no knead bread and holy poo poo even if its technically more expensive im making all of my own bread from now on. Making and using bread you made from scratch fuckin owns

Glad to see you liked it.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Posting again about making pasta sauce from (near) scratch. Pound of penne, can of tomatoes, can of tomato paste, some spicerack and an onion I already had, fed a family of three with leftovers for under three bucks.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

PopeCrunch posted:

Posting again about making pasta sauce from (near) scratch. Pound of penne, can of tomatoes, can of tomato paste, some spicerack and an onion I already had, fed a family of three with leftovers for under three bucks.

Ah, the flavour of my first year of college. This was my first foray into the mysterious world of grownup food, I barely even knew how to cook an egg back then. Good times, so many burnt meals :3:

Best thing about this is that you can basically bung in whatever veg you have left in your fridge and it will always taste awesome. I like to spice things up by adding some cream or even a spoonful of red curry paste. Also try pasta with fresh spinach, I wouldn't have hated spinach so much as a kid if my mom had fed me that instead of the disgusting snot from the freezer.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any recommendations on what to do about eating lunch cheap? Leftovers are obviously a cheap option but eating the same thing for lunch and dinner for a few days at a time makes splurging extremely tempting.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

captkirk posted:

Any recommendations on what to do about eating lunch cheap? Leftovers are obviously a cheap option but eating the same thing for lunch and dinner for a few days at a time makes splurging extremely tempting.

I've been making large batches of stuff on weekends or when I have time and freezing half in lunch sized portions. Now I have a variety of stuff to choose from. Just pick one that looks good the night before and it should be ready to microwave for lunch.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been making large batches of stuff on weekends or when I have time and freezing half in lunch sized portions. Now I have a variety of stuff to choose from. Just pick one that looks good the night before and it should be ready to microwave for lunch.

As an example, you can buy a batch of chicken thighs for a couple bucks, cook it up with some teriyaki or sweet and sour, along with a big batch of rice in the cooker, then pack it into takeout containers and freeze it. It reheats really well.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Along those lines, here's the recipe from CI that I use for just that! It's super easy, just keep an eye on the teriyaki sauce so it doesn't reduce into sludge. Or, buy bottled sauce, but this is really good and not hard so you might as well make your own.

The only 'unusual' ingredient is the mirin, which is only a couple bucks and I've seen it at regular grocery stores, not only Asian markets.

Ingredients

8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 5 ounces each), trimmed, boned, and skin slashed (I've also used boneless skinless, worked fine as well - I just sprayed a little oil on it to keep it from sticking, and keep in mind that it will cook faster. I'm sure any bird pieces will work - buy cheap legs, thighs, quarters, whatver.)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons mirin
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

Instructions

1. Position oven rack about 8 inches from heat source; heat broiler. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper; set thighs skin side up on broiler pan (or foil-lined rimmed baking sheet fitted with flat wire rack), tucking exposed meat under skin and lightly flattening thighs to be of relatively even thickness (see illustration 6). Broil until skin is crisp and golden brown and thickest parts of thighs register 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 8 to 14 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking time for even browning.

2. While chicken cooks, combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and garlic in small saucepan; stir together mirin and cornstarch in small bowl until no lumps remain, then stir mirin mixture into saucepan. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup and forms syrupy glaze, about 4 minutes. Cover to keep warm.

3. Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest 2 to 3 minutes. Cut meat crosswise into 1/2-inch- wide strips. Transfer chicken to serving platter; stir teriyaki sauce to recombine, then drizzle to taste over chicken. Serve immediately, passing remaining sauce separately.

Make some rice to eat it with. I've also bought cheap fish filets (I think they were tilapia?) and pan roasted them to eat with this sauce over rice, and it was really good too.

Very easy, not expensive, delicious.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Speaking of leftovers, my favourite dish is re-fried perogis. I buy the store brands whenever they're on sale. I usually make far more perogis than I can eat in one sitting, so the next few meals I re-fry them with onions, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eggie posted:

Speaking of leftovers, my favourite dish is re-fried perogis. I buy the store brands whenever they're on sale. I usually make far more perogis than I can eat in one sitting, so the next few meals I re-fry them with onions, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce.
If you don't need to make 750,000 of them at once, pierogies are actually hella cheap, and pretty quick to knock up. Just combine like 1/2 cup of flour, a tablespoon or so of oil, and just enough water to make a stiff dough. Knead well, for about 2 minutes, until everything's combined.

Roll out the dough onto a dusted counter top into one large sheet. Fill with your stuffing of choice (I use a leftover baked potato or two that I've mashed, a small chopped and sauteed onion, a bit of dill and chive, and some salt and pepper), and you're pretty much set.

Buying them from the store will cost more than making your own, even when they're on sale. The amount of flour, potato, and onion you're using is chump change. You'll have enough for yourself and a friend to share, or for leftovers. And, since you control what goes in, you can use leftovers from earlier in the week to stuff 'em.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Best of all, if you can devote a couple of hours on, say, a Sunday afternoon to making an enormous bath of pierogi, you can then freeze them. That way, you have convenient frozen pierogi waiting for you, for a fraction of the cost of store-bought.

edit: I didn't notice until it was quoted that that says "bath," not "batch." If you make a bath of pierogi, you will smell like onions and your pierogi will be disgusting.

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 2, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dogfish posted:

Best of all, if you can devote a couple of hours on, say, a Sunday afternoon to making an enormous bath of pierogi, you can then freeze them. That way, you have convenient frozen pierogi waiting for you, for a fraction of the cost of store-bought.
You can do this with any kind of dumpling, just an FYI. And if you don't want to make your wrappers by hand, buying them frozen at the Asian grocer is a good bet. Don't buy them anywhere else; they're stupidly expensive. For a reference, I pay $1.79 for 50 spring roll wrappers at the Asian market, but I could have bought 10 at the grocer down the block for $2.50.

Great deal, that.

EDIT: if you make a huge batch of dumplings, you can bring the stuff in front of your TV and just fold fold fold. It's loving mindless once you get the hang of it, and it's a nice meditative activity. When you freeze pierogi (or any dumpling), be sure to spread them on a pan in the freezer so they don't stick together in the bags. Once they're sort of frozen, then you can toss them in the bags

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 1, 2012

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
I've never made pierogi before. If I were to make a filling out of ground beef, potato, chive, and cheddar, would that be considered some horrible Shepard Pie hybrid, or could I still call the dish pierogi in its own right? Also, I'm assuming cook all the way, then freeze?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yehudis Basya posted:

ground beef...Shepard Pie

could I still call the dish pierogi in its own right?

no, that would be cottage pie, shepherd's pie uses lamb, hence "shepherd".

Sure it's pierogi, it's whatever you want it to be, call it a slavic jiaozi via wales if you so desire. If it sounds good to you, try it! At the very least you will know what not to do in the future, at best, you may have a new favorite thing.

Edit: cottage pie....rogi :mmmhmm:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Yehudis Basya posted:

I've never made pierogi before. If I were to make a filling out of ground beef, potato, chive, and cheddar, would that be considered some horrible Shepard Pie hybrid, or could I still call the dish pierogi in its own right? Also, I'm assuming cook all the way, then freeze?
Freeze them raw.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is exactly what I would call it.

Dadbuck
Apr 14, 2008

Hate the game, not the playa

LogisticEarth posted:

If you eat a crapload of rice and beans, you'll be full. It's got plenty of protien and mass.

I too love to have my rear end-trumpet sounding out my arrival, while spiking my bloodsugar and leading to pre-diabetes.

Instead of advising on eating cheap and unhealthy food, we need a lesson on frugalism and creativity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24879628/ns/business-retail/t/frugalists-bargain-hunting-lifestyle/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dadbuck posted:

I too love to have my rear end-trumpet sounding out my arrival, while spiking my bloodsugar and leading to pre-diabetes.

Instead of advising on eating cheap and unhealthy food, we need a lesson on frugalism and creativity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24879628/ns/business-retail/t/frugalists-bargain-hunting-lifestyle/

Quick someone tell 95% of the world to stop eating legumes and rice before they get digestive issues and diabetes!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Quick someone tell 95% of the world to stop eating legumes and rice before they get digestive issues and diabetes!
There was a study published a few months ago that correlated white rice consumption with an increased risk of diabetes. It was a meta-analysis of four food questionnaire studies. I wouldn't read much into it, especially when rice constitutes a traditional staple food. If you're that worried about it (and you shouldn't be, given that billions of people eat it as a staple! and diabetes rates in those countries aren't higher than the US!), just eat brown rice.

As for beans I've never had digestive problems from beans???

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 4, 2012

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Plus beans contain high levels of soluble fibre, which may help to regulate blood sugar.

Beans make you fart a lot if you don't poop enough. Poop more.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dadbuck posted:

surely dumpster diving is the zenith of healthy eahahahahahahahahahaha

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I have eight cheap little steaks that were on final markdown at the shop. What can I do with them that's a little tastier than "pan fry on large hunk of iron"?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

I have eight cheap little steaks that were on final markdown at the shop. What can I do with them that's a little tastier than "pan fry on large hunk of iron"?

Pic please so we know what you have!

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Pic please so we know what you have!

They're half-inch thick eye of round steaks. My phone hates me, so I can't get a picture to the internet with the thing. I'm marinating the first four in beer and montreal steak seasoning (a gift from my boyfriend's recently vegetarian roommate). They will be fried in my tiny cast iron skillet tomorrow afternoon. The others are in the freezer for later this week or next.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

They're half-inch thick eye of round steaks. My phone hates me, so I can't get a picture to the internet with the thing. I'm marinating the first four in beer and montreal steak seasoning (a gift from my boyfriend's recently vegetarian roommate). They will be fried in my tiny cast iron skillet tomorrow afternoon. The others are in the freezer for later this week or next.

Just do this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440988

That steak seasoning is pretty disappointing.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

no, that would be cottage pie, shepherd's pie uses lamb, hence "shepherd".

Sure it's pierogi, it's whatever you want it to be, call it a slavic jiaozi via wales if you so desire. If it sounds good to you, try it! At the very least you will know what not to do in the future, at best, you may have a new favorite thing.

So I made the cottage pierogi last night- they were so deliciously unhealthy, and since pierogi were new for me, I was extra excited about it! :)

For the filling, I salted and peppered ground beef, then browned it. I then mixed it up with chopped white onion, 2 eggs, and freshly grated white cheddar. I also made mashed potatoes out of red skinned potatoes, cream cheese, butter, salt, pepper, and fresh chives. Mixed up the potatoes into the beef and voila, filling!

For the dough, I halved Emeril's recipe: sour cream, peanut oil (ran out of olive but that sounds kinda gross anyways), butter, AP flour, salt, and eggs. According to him, using ground beef as a filling is a Polish thing.

To cook, I boiled the cottage pierogi in salted water for 8 minutes (they really do float!), dried them with a towel, and then sauteed them in better to get the skins browned.

So unhealthy yet so delicious! They're really, really filling though, 4 of them had me stuffed. A poo poo ton (uncooked in water) live in the freezer now (so even though the beef, sour cream, butter and cream cheese add up, you really get a ton of bang out of your buck), and should be perfect for days when I won't have time to prepare a full dinner, but can handle 8 minutes of boiling and 5 minutes of sauteeing! There's a lot of filling left over too, so either I'm going to make even more pierogi dough for even more deliciousness, or just cook the filling on the stove with roasted broccoli or something for a side.

Edit- unhealthy because of the extreme excess of carbohydrates (all the flour and potato) compared to protein and fat. To make healthier, replace the red-skinned potatoes with cauliflower (mashed cauli is pretty yummy); that'll drop your carb level some. To make it actually healthy, drop the pierogi dough as well, so you get rid of the flour.... but then it would no longer be pierogi.... hence pierogi is a delicious yet unhealthy treat! Seriously going to make it with mashed cauli next time, though, or just leave out the mashed part entirely and add chives to the beef mixture. While quite tasty, the potato flavor isn't necessary; I wonder how much its absence would even be noticeable.

Why do pastry shells with veg or meat fillings taste so marvelous? Samosas, chicken pot pies, pierogi, cottage/shepard pie, I'm looking at you!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yehudis Basya posted:

Awesome Perogis

How much beef are we talking here? About 1lb or so? Also, I imagine that the potatoes were mashed/blended/processed smooth, right?

These sound amazing and oh so bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

I used 1 lb of ground beef and believe me when I say that the total filling volume dwarfed the amount I actually used in the pierogi. So much so that I went and got another pint of sour cream to make more dough today; I'll cook 8 pierogi tonight but will probably have something like 50 more to put in the freezer. Any remaining filling is going to be cooked on the stovetop with some side veg!

The potatoes were red-skinned, and mashed with fresh chives, butter, cream cheese, salt, and pepper, and obviously I left the skin in.

They were really hot and tasty and satisying; I'm excited to thaw them in August when it starts getting a little cooler. This food really is good to make on a budget considering the sheer quantity (the following takes into account making even more dough):

$1.50 for half a cream cheese brick
$3-4 worth of (fancyish) butter, total
79 cents chives
~$3 potatoes
$7 beef (local butcher grassfed stuff)
~20 cents onion
~75 cents worth of cheddar off the brick
cost of 5 eggs
$5 for all the sour cream I've had to purchase to make enough dough for all the filling
cost of AP flour, salt, pepper, and 2 tsp worth of oil

... lets just round up to $25. Depending on how large one cuts the dough, you get ~40-60 pierogi, or ~40-60 cents/pierogi, something like 10-15 servings depending on how hungry you are. If I hadn't used local beef and a nicer butter, or left out the extraneous mash (thus moving cream cheese off the list), I could have made it for a ridiculously cheap price.

Edit- making a 2nd full batch of dough (so not halving Emeril's recipe) and this time cutting the rounds larger (3.5 in), I was able to use up all the filling and make 42 more pierogi. Actually, I had enough dough for about 5 more, but ran out of filling at that point.

Yehudis Basya fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 9, 2012