Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Keith Stone posted:

The farm is also going to be hotly contested. There is a spot just south of the farm in DSH that has about 7-8 doombug spawns. I plan on parking there for AAs once the exp update goes in.

So I should do the face aug farm bits now, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
IMO its silly to do any sort of AA right now when the entire AA patch is only a few days away.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
If Puga is on tonight, and willing, I would like to hit up Anguish again for my last two orbs and some for Dijital / Luigi.

If Puga is not on tonight, I am going to do Plane of Time, so if people 65+ want to come hoover up loot (minus Symbol of the Planesmaster and Serpent of Vindication!) you're welcome along, especially if you have a wizard to save me on gate pots.

If PoT goes fast enough, I might go give Zun'Muram Tkarish Zyk a go with a merc tank and get the key to Tacvi, so I can do that as well! or should I wait till I unlock J5 tank for that?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Peechka posted:

IMO its silly to do any sort of AA right now when the entire AA patch is only a few days away.

Whoa whoa whoa, what AA patch? I been out of the loop for a couple months and let my accounts lapse. What are they doing to AA?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I'm having some issues running EQ at different resolutions. My goal is to have main gameplay window at my normal resolution (windowed 1600x) and then the two boxes be at 1200x800ish.

First I tried using 2 eqclient.ini's like EQW supports (eqcliewnt.ini and eqclient2.ini) under 2 seperate profiles, but eventually the boxes started saving to the main eqclient for some reason or picking up its settings

Second I tried running a second EQ install and this works ok, but switching between windows for some reason frequently gives a not responding error that lasts a good 15-20 seconds before a box becomes playable. Also I use a g15 for macros (switch window, cast a social hotkey with 3-4 spells on it, switch back to main window) and for some reason if I'm using two instances of EQ, the macros don't work.

I don't really want to use ISboxer. Any suggestions on making this work?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

No More Heroes posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, what AA patch? I been out of the loop for a couple months and let my accounts lapse. What are they doing to AA?

SOE is about to double the exp gained when working alternate advancement. There was tons of complains about the 45 ranks of CA and CS to make players viable when taking hits in higher level contents.

The bonus tapers off if what I read is true.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hoohah posted:

If Puga is not on tonight, I am going to do Plane of Time, so if people 65+ want to come hoover up loot (minus Symbol of the Planesmaster and Serpent of Vindication!) you're welcome along, especially if you have a wizard to save me on gate pots.

I'd actually like to get in on that. I never got to see the Plane of Time before I left because it was still only accessible via a complicated miasma of flags and keys.

While I'm here, what would you all recommend is the best (read: fastest) way to power level my SK? I wanted to do the tutorial straight up, so I played until way too late on Thursday night doing all of the quests and he's now level 12. I twinked him out to the best of my ability (I'm not going to start slapping defiant gear on him until he's higher level and won't outgrow it so fast) and he's ready to face the world. He's got a nice 2-hander that I think will be a big help as I gave him the Massive Dragonclaw Shard (no rec/req level) that dropped off of Zlandicar last week after Loon bumraped him.

Keep in mind that I have a 67 druid and a 67 bard as well, and all 3 characters are on separate accounts, so I have that flexibility. I would assume that just buffing him with druid DS, regen, strength, and HP buffs (eg: Skin Like Pudding) and then pulling a handful of low reds would be effective (I would appreciate ideas on the best spots to do this), but given how much has changed over the years there may be repeatable quests or what have you that would be even better . I was also thinking that, since he has a guardian healer, maybe I swap his cleric merc out for a wizard or rogue merc to speed up the killing process and have my druid toss him a mend as needed. Input much appreciated.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

JustJeff88 posted:

While I'm here, what would you all recommend is the best (read: fastest) way to power level my SK?

Get a tank merc, and use your druid to buff it (particularly damage shields), then pull 3-4 red cons at a time and dump them on your merc. Until the merc is 30 or 40, don't really engage in melee. You can throw dots or whatever, but really the DS will shred everything. That should take you to late 40s.

Once the SK is 50 or so, group him up with your other characters and you'll be fine. You can go basically anywhere your SK can handle tanking then, either throw in three DPS mercs and heal on your druid or two dps and a healer and focus on dot/nuke until later levels when everything gets rolled into casting one spell that does everything.

quote:

Currently there is a 500% bonus at 0 AAs that linearly declines until its 0% at 2500. The 'June patch' will make it a 1000% bonus that declines to 0% at 4000.

Basically if you spend AAs intelligently and level appropriately, you can get everything worthwhile with AAs coming in at high speed. Once you're down to the dregs, like tradeskill AAs, stat cap AAs, etc those will be slow but they won't give you the kind of combat power gains like you'll be getting on the way.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.
I'm thinking I will try and power to 80 then for the gear and j5 merc upgrades, then by that time the AA patch will be out and I can tear that up.

Time sounds like a lot of fun, I have always wanted to see it through. I was going to go stomp it when I was 90ish but doing it while i still get xp is great too. Is the gear still worthwhile? I was under the impression that level appropriate gear for a 75+ outshine anything available from then.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Keith Stone posted:

SOE is about to double the exp gained when working alternate advancement. There was tons of complains about the 45 ranks of CA and CS to make players viable when taking hits in higher level contents.

That's pretty wild. I'm almost afraid to look at eqlive haha. Bitter vets must be howling.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

No More Heroes posted:

That's pretty wild. I'm almost afraid to look at eqlive haha. Bitter vets must be howling.

Oh yeah they did. "Well I had to do it, so should you" Was their montra. Too bad that 70% of EQ players didn't play the game for the last 10 yrs like he did and don't have 10 yrs to invest to grind AA.

I think its a great change to have people catch up in a relatively short period of time.

They also plan on auto granting some of the core AA like CS,CA at some point as well. Its just something in the programming queue from what I have read. It was put to a vote to EQ players and this is what they decided. So not only are we getting a AA exp bonus, but in the future some of them will be auto granted.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hoohah posted:

Get a tank merc, and use your druid to buff it (particularly damage shields), then pull 3-4 red cons at a time and dump them on your merc. Until the merc is 30 or 40, don't really engage in melee. You can throw dots or whatever, but really the DS will shred everything. That should take you to late 40s.

Once the SK is 50 or so, group him up with your other characters and you'll be fine. You can go basically anywhere your SK can handle tanking then, either throw in three DPS mercs and heal on your druid or two dps and a healer and focus on dot/nuke until later levels when everything gets rolled into casting one spell that does everything.

Thank you for all of the good advice - I love the idea of one tank being leveled up while another tank stands there and gets the potatos beat out of him by guys who die without him actually hitting them.

I heard a rumour, and it might be rubbish, that there are training dummies now, or some other way to work on skills besides either casting Sense Animals 4000 times to raise my driud's Diviniation skill or constantly missing while fighting something that wants to eat your face. Since that aforementioned Pling technique is going to mean my SK's skills being neglected, I could use a good way to catch him up.

By the way, someone remind me of the buff rule... isn't it something like only buffs of spell level 49 or less can work on characters 49 or less, but any buff of any level can work on a character 50+ (maybe it's 60+)? It's fairtly straightforward, I just can't remember the bloody thing. On that subject, does it apply to mercs or are they exempt? (I doubt it, but that would be grand... my druid has a 55-point DS now)

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I think the level is 46 for the first set of buffs. Not sure for higher levels, but from memory my lv 65+ characters were getting lv95 buffs in Guild Lobby.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

JustJeff88 posted:

I heard a rumour, and it might be rubbish, that there are training dummies now, or some other way to work on skills besides either casting Sense Animals 4000 times to raise my driud's Diviniation skill or constantly missing while fighting something that wants to eat your face. Since that aforementioned Pling technique is going to mean my SK's skills being neglected, I could use a good way to catch him up.

The 'June Patch' is supposed to make skill gains more realistic to the way leveling is now, where a level can take minutes rather than hours, or hours instead of days.

It sort of makes me sad but waiting for the patch seems like more and more of a good idea for people doing new characters.

You can use a spell that is 50 or lower on a character that is 45 or lower. Once they hit 46, you can use a spell that is up to 60 and at 50 you can use a spell up to 65. Making a logical guess, that tells me you can use a spell on a character that is 15 levels below the spell's level in question, but it could just be at 50 or 60 the wheels come off entirely and you can use any spell. I only powered characters when my first three were 65.

If someone has a character around 50-55, I can try casting my level 80 stuff on them as a test.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

At 61 you can get all levels of buffs.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
If you're worried about not having skillups like defense, at around level 50 you can goto tower of frozen shadow and there's a trap on the second floor that hits for 30 or so. Supposed to be able skillup pretty easily. Or you can duel pets.

I took my bard to Sanctus Maru or whatever last night. Some stuff was still light blue at 74 so I pulled 5-6 on him and he was getting pretty decent skillups. They only hit for like 100 and a lot of them dual-wield fast daggers.

If you want to skillup offense, just get haste buff and hit the back of mobs you would normally fight. At the back they can't parry or dodge. I took my bards 1hs from like 50 to 300 in half a level just doing normal fighting.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 1, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

You can duel and beat on a passive merc for weapon skill ups. If there's also a healer merc in group you can afk skill up like this since the merc says in ooc regen.

For spell skill ups, I make a hotkey that casts 3-4 spells and set an autofire repeat on that key overnight.

Defensive skills seem to max out pretty quickly, so I haven't worried about those.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Hoohah posted:

If Puga is on tonight, and willing, I would like to hit up Anguish again for my last two orbs and some for Dijital / Luigi.

Don't look for me tonight, tomorrow night is a possibility if I don't have another long day at work.

On the subject of those gate pots, if you happen to "slip" (illusion bug) through the locked doors during phase 1 you get booted to the zone's graveyard area, the larger tombstone there is a zoneout.

E; On skills, mercs are great for offensive skillups, pets are great for both.

The337th fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 2, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

The337th posted:

Don't look for me tonight, tomorrow night is a possibility if I don't have another long day at work.

On the subject of those gate pots, if you happen to "slip" (illusion bug) through the locked doors during phase 1 you get booted to the zone's graveyard area, the larger tombstone there is a zoneout.

E; On skills, mercs are great for offensive skillups, pets are great for both.

You can illusion bug through the doors leading to that Tacvi key mob too, so you don't have to clear the rest of the zone. That fight is totally nuts, by the way. Make sure you have a merc to tank him, else have fun getting jailhouse raped :(

veril
Aug 28, 2004
From what I've been reading elsewhere, it looks like the test server gives every account free gold access, and double experience rate -- but it's a largely unpopulated server compared to live servers.

Is there a good reason not to play on test, aside from the population difference?

Edit -- Big population difference. Only 2 people in bazaar, and only 7 people total between levels 60-70 on test -- versus over 60 people in levels 60-70 on Luclin. That would make a big difference in grouping.

veril fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 3, 2012

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Are people waiting on AA patch to hit to even play? Ominous Latin Words population has been only like 4-5 dudes lately. Couple of high70s people on pretty regularly and we should be hitting 80, hopefully there's some cool groupable stuff to do.

Everyone in guild has been really helpful (I'm trying to do my part), so if there's any lurkers in this thread, come check the game out, you might be suprised! You can do quests and explore at your own pace. A shitload of content is accessible to nonpoopsockers and you dont have to LFG for hours to get cool stuff.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 3, 2012

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Starting to hit burnout myself, I have a gigantic list of things I could be doing in game, but I keep coming around to the question of 'why am I even doing any of this stuff?' Before this iteration of playing, I always had raids to gear / look forward to, but really when I get 95, try and farm up Tier 4 VOA group gear for all my dudes, what do I do then?

Blowing all my plat and then feeling like I have to do OMMs so I have funds might be a part of it too.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

Hoohah posted:

but really when I get 95, try and farm up Tier 4 VOA group gear for all my dudes, what do I do then?

Then you win Everquest

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Also, you guys should join the serverwide chat more so those of on other servers can bug you.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
I've been working 132 hours this week so thats why I havent been on, but in addition to that, yes, I am mostly waiting on the AA patch. It's funny; at this point I'm looking forward to getting more gear and more AA strength so that I can go wreck more old expansion stuff and just explore and help out guildies. EQ is weird like that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Creative Bicycle posted:

I've been working 132 hours this week so thats why I havent been on, but in addition to that, yes, I am mostly waiting on the AA patch. It's funny; at this point I'm looking forward to getting more gear and more AA strength so that I can go wreck more old expansion stuff and just explore and help out guildies. EQ is weird like that.

EQ's old content rules. No other game has a history as extensive, except for UO.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Im assuming the aa change will happen to the test server also? its really tempting to play there.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Hoohah posted:

Before this iteration of playing, I always had raids to gear / look forward to, but really when I get 95, try and farm up Tier 4 VOA group gear for all my dudes, what do I do then?

Haha, thats where I'm around now. Went from new character to decked out in full T4 glorious in about 3-4 months casualish play. I've done pretty much all the VoA group stuff now so it's kind of like...go named-hunting for trophies, or go back and get all the partisan/savior achievements in Underfoot/HoT. I absolutely detest EQ raiding so that won't be happening much. I have a huge bucket-list but since hitting 95 I kind of lost focus.

Saving 7 million PP to buy a 100/18 h2h or something is also on my "maybe" list. FV economy is fun

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 4, 2012

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

On test, I have an 85 monk with like 2.5k AA's, J5 merc, and raid gear from 2 or 3 expansions ago. I might actually play if some goons wanted to group up.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 4, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm pretty much in a mix of too much work and waiting on the AA patch myself.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Getting augs and doing tasks for exp is what took up a lot of my time late HoT. VoA task exp isn't worth giving a poo poo about and I can't box the aug camps. So if I wasn't raiding, I dunno what I'd be doing in EQ.

Tolain posted:

Saving 7 million PP to buy a 100/18 h2h or something is also on my "maybe" list. FV economy is fun

Go hijack some passing oil tankers.
For some reason, the idea of loading a character up with trash to sell on FV sounds appealing. Then I try to figure out why I would want anything on FV.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

FV bazaar is kind of it's own awesome metagame. I got multiple tells on my bazaar alt because I was selling exp potions for 39500 instead of the "agreed 40,000 for the exp weekend" recently, and like 3 other traders were really pissed about me undercutting them. One guy with an obvious plat-seller name (supersaverdeals or something like that) kept trying to buy me out but I only listed 3-4 at a time and kept restocking and he gave up really fast. When I did a search, sure enough every other potion was priced at 40k. It makes me think some gigantic EQ traders guild conspiracy is in place and they have weekly meetings to discuss inflation, base prices, and possible investment in a basket of other currencies.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 4, 2012

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
In some ways, waiting for the AA patch has been a relief. Balee is 75 with only 100 AAs so I am pretty gimped and was not looking forward to working through AAs.

While waiting I did half of epic 1.5, worked tailoring, brewing, and smithing up to 100, and generally digging not being on the treadmill.

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

Tolain posted:

FV bazaar is kind of it's own awesome metagame. I got multiple tells on my bazaar alt because I was selling exp potions for 39500 instead of the "agreed 40,000 for the exp weekend" recently, and like 3 other traders were really pissed about me undercutting them. One guy with an obvious plat-seller name (supersaverdeals or something like that) kept trying to buy me out but I only listed 3-4 at a time and kept restocking and he gave up really fast. When I did a search, sure enough every other potion was priced at 40k. It makes me think some gigantic EQ traders guild conspiracy is in place and they have weekly meetings to discuss inflation, base prices, and possible investment in a basket of other currencies.

Back when Luclin was current and the bazaar was officially open, there was a guild called "United Traders Union" that would send your trader tells about how your prices were too low and said item needs to be set higher because that was the set price.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

jps1979 posted:

Back when Luclin was current and the bazaar was officially open, there was a guild called "United Traders Union" that would send your trader tells about how your prices were too low and said item needs to be set higher because that was the set price.

Is it just me or is the bazaar pretty dead here? I've got maybe 40 items up, all priced 50% lower than the next lowest price, and nothing sells. In the last 2 weeks I think I've moved 5 items.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Ylide posted:

Is it just me or is the bazaar pretty dead here? I've got maybe 40 items up, all priced 50% lower than the next lowest price, and nothing sells. In the last 2 weeks I think I've moved 5 items.

If it's like FV, we experienced a pretty massive influx of sales of cheaper items when it went F2p, but the last month or so has been REALLY stagnant. The biggest sellers seem to be T2 items in HoT and VoA (since silver can use them and everyone has free box alts now), wraps that drop off of the VoA nameds, T4 lucid/grandiose wraps, and basically "best in tier" style items for level 75, 80, 85, 90 requirement. It seems like anything not best for the level pre-85 or not current content is basically not going to sell.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

RCarr posted:

On test, I have an 85 monk with like 2.5k AA's, J5 merc, and raid gear from 2 or 3 expansions ago. I might actually play if some goons wanted to group up.

I was just thinking of attempting to three box on test to see how the new memory upgrades would help with my problem. I only have 3 gigs on my laptop and even using IS Boxer EQ was totally unusable.

I'd be on more trying to get my monk to catch up to Vild, but work and other things have popped up and my Gold membership expired today.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I 3 box with WinEQ2, from the same developer I believe (Lavishsoft). Never tried Isboxer but I'm pretty sure Isboxer was more about functionality and WinEQ2 had the basics like stabilization of framerates and such. Give it a try.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I'm pretty sure all the memory saving stuff in wineq is built into isboxer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
is testcopy not working for anyone else? i get the error "test copy:Invalid destination server : server : test server "