Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Potooweet posted:

Roz is going to replace Taena Merryweather. Myrish swamp drainage commencing.

It's not really a Myrish swamp unless she's Myrish. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

Yeah, I am not shipping them, but I got that impression from when they were arguing by the river in the episode where he was like "you are a girl" and from when they were hanging out in Harrenhal and he was shirtless and working on making a sword or something and Arya was checking him out hardcore. The latter was especially blatant.

It's possible I just know too many girls who watch this show and have been imprinted with their impressions as well, though.

Yeah you're kind of shipping Sophia, sad to say.

whowhatwhere posted:

I saw what could have been her checking him out (well, she's 15 and most likely straight, so almost certainly she was) but I didn't see it in the rest of their performance.

Goddamn, she's 15? Coulda fooled me. So Gurm has a countdown calendar for 2015 right? As in he'll no longer be interested?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There was no blue rose. My fandoms!!

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Sophia posted:

Yeah, I am not shipping them, but I got that impression from when they were arguing by the river in the episode where he was like "you are a girl" and from when they were hanging out in Harrenhal and he was shirtless and working on making a sword or something and Arya was checking him out hardcore. The latter was especially blatant.

It's possible I just know too many girls who watch this show and have been imprinted with their impressions as well, though.

No, in the first scene you described they have that kind of squabbling banter going on that's pretty commonly depicted in immature relationships. People eat that kind of poo poo up (see also Ron/Hermione). If they leave in Acorn Hall next season there will probably be more of it.

(Note that I do not think that they will acquiesce to crazy shipper demands by any stretch of the imagination; I'd actually enjoy it if they straight trolled them like the Avatar guys)

Waffle Ho fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 4, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

my cat is norris posted:

Well there was the Iron Throne covered in snow at the Wall which is frankly a hell of a lot more obvious, but not having built up Lyanna and blue roses for two books also probably necessary.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

my cat is norris posted:

When you comin' back down to MD Norris?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

Well there was the Iron Throne covered in snow at the Wall which is frankly a hell of a lot more obvious, but not having built up Lyanna and blue roses for two books also probably necessary.
That change could also support Stannis becoming King, which is neato.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

This series is way better as a television show than it is as a book. Let's just forget the whole novel thing and just let the people in charge of the show finish it, yeah? George can write the obligatory keystone episode per season and spend the rest of the time blogging and editing Wildcards and we can all be happy.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 4, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Completely and totally disagree with that, but the season finale was my favorite episode of the series. Let's not forget about the whole novel thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Colonel Pancreas posted:

This series is way better as a television show than it is as a book. Let's just forget the whole novel thing and just let the people in charge of the show finish it, yeah? George can write the obligatory keystone episode per season and spend the rest of the time blogging and editing Wildcards and we can all be happy.

The show has a cast, budget, and writing staff to die for and they frequently come up with innovative scenes that weren't in the book due to the limitations of their medium and they still can't get half of the scale of the books across. If there's one thing the books did right, it's the sense of scale--all the useless fuckers and plot threads felt a lot better in ACoK/ASoS when they were actually fleshing out the world instead of treading on water.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Was that scene with Sam getting ignored for being a bitch in the books, I can't remember. Jaqen turned into an ugly guy. The Khaleesi Acid Trip wasn't what I was expecting, should have been Wonka's Leisure Boat Redux. Jon Snow got real mad. Varys is cool, Littlefinger is a pedo, Margaery is hot, what else is new.

And Maester Luwin kept it together real well for being on the verge of dying.

Edit: Alfie Allen killed it too

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Talisa/Jeyne looks like a different person when shown in profile, it reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's girlfriend would look either gorgeous or hideous depending on the lighting.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
This ep was ruined for me because I just got past the part where Barristan killed Khrazz, so my nerd balls are really blue and sore right now.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

IRQ posted:

Yeah you're kind of shipping Sophia, sad to say.

Nah, because the difference is I do not want the show to be doing it, I just think that they are doing it, either intentionally because that's what you have to do with young characters or because it just arose from the actors. But I would be more than happy to be wrong about the whole thing because it's weird.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Rape Jake. posted:

This ep was ruined for me because I just got past the part where Barristan killed Khrazz, so my nerd balls are really blue and sore right now.

I assume you are referring to your stones, so are there sheep at the wall in your neighborhood

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

jeffersonlives posted:

I didn't take that to be the Iron Throne at the Wall. I took it to be a scene of King's Landing utterly consumed by winter, especially since the throne was still in the Red Keep's throne room. No room like that exists at the Wall, to my knowledge. The windows featuring the seven-pointed star were broken and covered and frost -- it was pretty cool imagery, very foreboding.

When she left the throne room, she was transported to the Wall, which made the scene a little more...trippy-ish? If that was meant to be the throne literally at the Wall...well, it's interesting for other reasons, not the least of which is the obvious connection to Jon.

I was looking for a blue rose as a nod to the fans I guess. v:shobon:v

IRQ: No MD for me, at least not for awhile, not unless I come down on my own sometime.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
There was literally a shot of snow on the iron throne. Snow as in maybe Snow. Snow like a bastard from the north. JonRamsay Snow is the next king after Tommen.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Jon Benet Ramsay

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

run DNC posted:

There was literally a shot of snow on the iron throne. Snow as in maybe Snow. Snow like a bastard from the north. JonRamsay Snow is the next king after Tommen.

Well yeah but that doesn't mean the throne was at the Wall.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

bigmcgaffney posted:

I assume you are referring to your stones, so are there sheep at the wall in your neighborhood

I have no idea what this post means.

e: Ok my brain started working. I get the ref.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
If the House of the Undying images were GRRM approved then I think we can safely assume Dany is dying at some point during the series, her meeting Drogo and her unborn baby at the end.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I'm probably over analyzing this, but I think it's best to consider the images individually and collectively, as both prophecies of the future and metaphors for the current reality.

Individually:

1. Frozen Iron Throne/destroyed Red Keep. Obvious, this is what will happen if the Others come south of the Wall and the Last Hero/Prince who was Promise/Azor Ahai doesn't stop them.

2. Drogo, north of the Wall: The land north of the Wall is the land of the dead. Drogo's presence there is more a trap set by the Undying to keep here in their house peacefully than any deeper meaning, I think.

3. The Iron Throne at the Wall: Just a scene transition, I believe.

Collectively:

There is snow on the Iron Throne. Snow on the Iron Throne. Obviously. The Iron Throne is at the Wall- the true King is at the Wall (or will be- maybe it's Stannis after all). Daenerys passes through an opening in the Wall that connects to the Red Keep- the Iron Throne is literally a hole in the Wall, a distraction from the real threat. Daenerys husband and child are beyond the Wall- literally Drogo and the unborn baby, or a metaphor for a future person fulfilling those same roles, i.e. Jon as the sire of a new line of Targaryens?

Alternately, read it backwards. The Prince who was Promise came through a hole in the wall and King's Landing is now a frozen wasteland. Jon will be turned and lead the armies of always winter.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

my cat is norris posted:

Well yeah but that doesn't mean the throne was at the Wall.

It was all left a bit trippy and vague, but at the very least the Iron Throne in snow transitions to the Wall. The more important thing is that even with all of the changes, they did still leave in some ambiguous Jon Snow poo poo.

The blue rose would have been a cool easter egg, but like Renly's armor last episode it's not really a critical plot point for how they did things, just a fun thing for book people to see.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

It was all left a bit trippy and vague, but at the very least the Iron Throne in snow transitions to the Wall. The more important thing is that even with all of the changes, they did still leave in some ambiguous Jon Snow poo poo.
And the fact that they did means it's basically confirmed that Jon Snow isn't dead, not that anyone believed otherwise. Which is bad news for me because I find Jon Snow tedious.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Wrong. Its a super fakeout and its either Ramsay as the prince that was promised or some other bastard (Is Hodor a bastard? He was born in the north right?)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Yeah, couldn't disagree more with this. Season one was a pretty good adaptation of GoT. Season 2 was pretty bad apart from a few stand-outs.

From the TVIV thread. Like, four replies after Jaquen changes his face:

quote:

Also, do you think that Jaqen is Syrio Forel? They come from the same place, and it would explain why Jaqen seems to want to protect Arya.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Blue roses, you say?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

run DNC posted:

Wrong. Its a super fakeout and its either Ramsay as the prince that was promised or some other bastard (Is Hodor a bastard? He was born in the north right?)

It can't be Ramsay, he's legitimized and is a Bolton now.

Also, Jon will be the evil wight king, I'm telling you. The "Lord Snow" thing is foreshadowing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Legitimized by a false king. Also other cool prophecy insane guess: Tommen is going to strangle Cersei.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Cersei's life will be taken by Ser Pounce, and none other.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
How will Ser Pounce defeat zombie Gregor?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

With claws made Valyrian steel. keratin. :black101:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
He'll be so adorable that GREGOR can't bring himself to kill him.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rurik posted:

How will Ser Pounce defeat zombie Gregor?
With fire and blood.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Oh. I would've liked to hear him roar, with him being feline and all.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I want the series to end with the entire world a frozen graveyard and the only life a wighted but still sentient Cersei, bleeding from a thousand cuts as Balerion the black cat harries her. Every day she kills him, but that cat comes back the very next day.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, couldn't disagree more with this. Season one was a pretty good adaptation of GoT. Season 2 was pretty bad apart from a few stand-outs.
This is because George wrote a first season that actually contained a relatively coherent narrative with a protagonist and interlocking stories (Dany as always being the most excepted, but at least Westeros was still talking about her). Once he killed Ned, he sort of went "gently caress it" in terms of an overall arc, and while there are interesting events and scenes afterward his narrative begins to come apart at the seams. The glaring cracks that are apparent by the 5th book have their roots in the non-King's Landing / Stannis stories in book 2. And even then he has Stannis basically run to the other end of the map afterward.

Nihilism is an interesting theme for a book, but it needs a firm hand on the tiller to avoid becoming a vaguely connected series of disparate events. GRRM did not have that hand. I thought the show did a fairly good job of trying to rein him in. But I agree the first season was a more coherent story. The first book is a more coherent book.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Speaking of which, does anyone have any serious theories as to how the series might end?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A few thoughts:

I was loving waiting for this. Finally a magic/flashback scene that you couldn't escape as it's essential to Dany's plotline. I am disappointed that we didn't get to see dwarves gangrape some woman, and oh man if they had the wolf's head on Robb's body hallucination it would have been killer for TVIV.

But overall I like scenes that feature ruin in a normally hotspot place such as the throne room in snow.

I also agree that this season is a bit of a letdown and that I think Ros is the most idiotic idea to do.

Finally, I am kind of glad that Jaime Lannister doesn't shave his head but I can't remember if he does that on the first boat ride or after his hand gets cut off.

Professor Shark posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any serious theories as to how the series might end?

The throne room in the Wall kind of reassured me about Dany landing in the North, a theory I have shared for a few years. With Aegon/Young Griff coming in from the South and Dany landing in the North, King's Landing becomes the focus point for these two. I am sure the Ironborn have something to do with Dany's landing as well. Tyrion obviously would help Dany and cast out the Lannister house.

Pretty sure Meli gave up on Stannis as being Azor Ahai, or that somehow Stannis will topple and collapse.

Dorne would most likely aid Aegon/Young Griff and be the last to be conquered by Dany (Dorne has been alluded to be captured last by the first Targaryens).

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Ambiguatron posted:

Also, Jon will be the evil wight king, I'm telling you. The "Lord Snow" thing is foreshadowing.

If Jon really isn't dead (lol he's obviously not) then he might be set up to make this crucial decision between the two halves of his self to decide if "Ice" or "Fire" ultimately wins.

Think about the set up here: He's half Targ, half Stark. He's literally split down the middle between ice and fire. He mostly hangs out on the Wall, which is the dividing line between the realms of ice and fire. He's in this very precarious balance between the two worlds and he's going to have to make the decision which side he's going to be on.

Though, of course, this is all moot because the next book is never coming out and the TV series will just become "Three's Company" with Ros, Shae and Tyrion.

Actually, can we get that show? Tywin keeps coming by to make sure Tyrion isn't sleeping with these whores and Tyrion has to pretend to be gay and Littlefinger is his buddy that helps with the ruse and oh poo poo this is awesome.