Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

I don't think it's a hard sell at 50 at all, it's just caster dependent. No different than the Colossals. And honestly who even thinks about 75 point games outside of for fun? That's not a competitive format. Both Madraks, Borka (mossssshhhh piiiiiiiit), Grim, eGrissel, and eDoomshaper could use the Mountain King pretty easily at 50 points with another heavy or a couple lights, or any number of ways depending on what you want to build the list for.

Actually the Masters for this year's Gencon is going to be a 75 point tournament (still 1 caster). I wouldn't be surprised if they make more high level events at the 75 point level.

Anyway, at the end of the day, you could take a Mountain King, or you could take an Earthborn and a Bomber. That's the hard sell. Now if you have the points to take an Earthborn, a Bomber and a Mountain King, that's a much easier sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I personally can't wait to run Borka with The King. Any jack or beast is caster dependant, I don't think anyone would have predicted that taking a colossal or gargantuan beast with a caster like Caine or Morvahna was going to be a good idea.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Chicken Slayer posted:

Mountain King has amazing potential to be pretty much Unkillable

Not really, with the armour and boxes, the Mountain king is going to go down to just about any dedicated Melee beatstick, a Bronzeback titan with handlers is going to take him off the board in one round on average dice. Lots of people keep stating the whelps thing as making it unkillable, but against a def 9 huge base, its just too easy to get enough things into it to drop it in a single turn.

Bronzebacks, Dire Trolls, Warpwolves, maybe a juggernaut and the other hard hitting jacks i'm not as well versed in Warmachine. All of those are going to be capable of putting it the ground in a single turn.

The fact that fielding it to its full potential requires me to buy enough whelps to fully surround a huge base don't thrill me either.

Calico Noose fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 4, 2012

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Trolls have the tools to make it hard to kill through a combination of armour buffs and board denial. Part of the problem with killing this thing is that the Troll army is full of medium bases and ways to block off charges to this thing. Whelp Shedding, Jenissa's wall, models with tough, plus a Kriel Stone. If it's set up right you'll probably be able to get in, at best, one non-reach Heavy against it.

Sure a Bronzeback could cripple or kill this thing, especially with a caster like Nareesh, Xerxis or P Morghull, or if Molik Khan can also get a charge off. But a lot of lists just cannot put out enough damage to kill this thing in one round, or the tools to get around the army of dudes in the way. And if you don't kill it, then it heals a bunch, shed's all its fury by eating a Whelp and facerolls you.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

S.J. posted:

I don't think it's a hard sell at 50 at all, it's just caster dependent. No different than the Colossals. And honestly who even thinks about 75 point games outside of for fun? That's not a competitive format. Both Madraks, Borka (mossssshhhh piiiiiiiit), Grim, eGrissel, and eDoomshaper could use the Mountain King pretty easily at 50 points with another heavy or a couple lights, or any number of ways depending on what you want to build the list for.

I'm trying to fit Mountain King in my regular Edoomy list, but I'm finding it hard to justify because Mountain King can't be goaded.

Right now I'm gonna try running him with an Earthborn, Krielstone + UA and Janissa. Planning to do the usual walk up field protected by Earthborn Animus + Stone aura. This gets you an armor 23 terror that walks up the field and spits pow 16 primal shocks at stuff, that charges 11 inches at the minimum (spd 5 + charge + feat).

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Can Colossals/Gargantuans use up free Warjack/Warbeast points?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Yes, they're warjacks and warbeasts.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

stabbington posted:

Yes, they're warjacks and warbeasts.

Welp there goes the 15 point meta :suicide:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Devlan Mud posted:

Welp there goes the 15 point meta :suicide:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Mortenebra - Infernal Machines
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 1
Master Necrotech Mortenebra (*4pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Ripjaw (5pts)
* Ripjaw (5pts)
* Ripjaw (5pts)

:getin:

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
If I may present a simpler list.

Faction: Khador
Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf (*5pts)
* Conquest (19pts)

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Chicken Slayer posted:

Faction: Khador
Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf (*5pts)
* Conquest (19pts)

I still think taking Mortenebra and then using a small swarm of chicken jacks to pull apart a colossal will be the best list.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Chicken Slayer posted:

You forgot your war dog, Chicken.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wait, wait, we can play this game too!

Captain Bartolo Montador (*5)
* Galleon (18)
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile (2)

Sidenote: I think that Galleon is the only Colossal that can use all his weapons in a single round. You open up with your cannons, then fire the harpoon, drag, melee, and start buying additional attacks. You could do a pretty stupid amount of damage that way.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Feora, Protector of the flame +6
*Judicator 18pts
Choir of Menoth 2pts
Vassal Mechanic 1pt

Although, I would much rather 1 caster 1 colossal replace the highlander format, as that just sounds like a lot more fun.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ashcans posted:

* Galleon (18)

Sidenote: I think that Galleon is the only Colossal that can use all his weapons in a single round. You open up with your cannons, then fire the harpoon, drag, melee, and start buying additional attacks. You could do a pretty stupid amount of damage that way.

I cannot wait to use Drake McBain with the Galleon. Fortune is handy but being able to put three focus on it and cast Jackhammer 3 times should pretty much wreck everything and anything. Not too mention Fail Safe on it as well!

Though pMagnus casting Iron Aggression on it should cause an equal amount of havoc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The best thing about MacBain and the Galleon is Failsafe. Sorry guys, you will need to tick every last box on this bad boy before it stops swinging!

The only problem with using it with pMagnus is that it seems like a prime target for all his spells. Iron Aggression, sure. But Tempered Metal, yes! Snipe? That too! How do I choose?!

I guess the real problem is that it won't profit from his feat, which stings a little.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Ashcans posted:

* Galleon (18)

That had actually not occurred to me. It's almost as if our colossal has virtuoso if you assume you can hit with the harpoon ranged attack.

Would it be legal to drag something with the harpoon and then power attack throw it in one activation? That's a lot of moving an opponent's heavy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Acceptableloss posted:

That had actually not occurred to me. It's almost as if our colossal has virtuoso if you assume you can hit with the harpoon ranged attack.

Would it be legal to drag something with the harpoon and then power attack throw it in one activation? That's a lot of moving an opponent's heavy.

Nope. Power attacks are done instead of initials.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Acceptableloss posted:

No because you have to use your initial attacks for the power attack.

Seems like a dumb rule since your already spending a focus on the power attack.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I really wish that all jacks could just power attack in place of their initials, without having to blow their initials as well. At least for some of them - I think we would see a lot more locks and headbutts and stuff if they didn't cost focus (and so marshalled jacks could do them too). Focus for charges, slams, and tramples is ok, I think.

Acceptableloss posted:

Pretty much! In addition, it seems like the Galleon would be able to do this pretty much every turn, too. I believe that Colossals can always choose to make their ranged attacks, even if they are engaged. So even if you are already in melee, you can open up with all your cannons, then harpoon either something you're in melee with or something else, and then start buying more melee attacks on whoever. Brutal.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Korwen posted:

Also: Grats IRSMRT on the Tiers victory. Making Ret look good.

d'aww thanks guys.

PaintVagrant posted:

Phatasian is a cool dude and runs good events. Ive only met him once at an event here in detroit last year, but Im hoping to get out to warmachine weekend this year and hang out with the Muse dudes/etc.

I hung out with them, flanzer, neutralyze, and the renegade crew for most of the week and holy poo poo was it a blast. Phatasian and flanzer were pushing hard to get me to go to wmw; and I think I might try and rearrange my vacation schedule to go.

Also sorry Ret dudes, but Phatasian convinced me to go back to Menoth. I started playing this game because of big stompy robots and I want to go back to stomping dudes with robots.

S.J. posted:

Menothplayers.txt

Playing Retribution has made me appreciate every thing in Menoth way more. Menoth players have no idea how good they have it sometimes.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 4, 2012

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Playing Retribution has made me appreciate every thing in Menoth way more. Menoth players have no idea how good they have it sometimes.

Don't remind me, I'd like to actually put my circle aside and play with my Ret sometime :sigh:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sort of at the other end, but every time I use my Menoth stuff I'm constantly surprised by how good it comes out for me. I'm looking forward to rocking my Errants with UA + Feora or Kreoss tomorrow. I'll have to get Rhupert too because I've heard nothing but good things.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Also sorry Ret dudes, but Phatasian convinced me to go back to Menoth. I started playing this game because of big stompy robots and I want to go back to stomping dudes with robots.

Yay! This is why I got into the game myself. It's why I'm naturally drawn to casters that can handle more than one 'jack.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ashcans posted:

The best thing about MacBain and the Galleon is Failsafe. Sorry guys, you will need to tick every last box on this bad boy before it stops swinging!

The only problem with using it with pMagnus is that it seems like a prime target for all his spells. Iron Aggression, sure. But Tempered Metal, yes! Snipe? That too! How do I choose?!

I guess the real problem is that it won't profit from his feat, which stings a little.

Can a model be effected by multiple upkeeps? This is something I thought about while contemplating changing my pMagnus list up. My friend noted I could run 30 Halberdiers with advanced move, while still maintaining a 35pt. T4 list. Then I'd just throw Tempered + Aggression on my Mangler if I could, instead of each spell on separate jacks like my current list does.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Can a model be effected by multiple upkeeps? This is something I thought about while contemplating changing my pMagnus list up. My friend noted I could run 30 Halberdiers with advanced move, while still maintaining a 35pt. T4 list. Then I'd just throw Tempered + Aggression on my Mangler if I could, instead of each spell on separate jacks like my current list does.

Nope. As soon as the 2nd one is cast the first one goes away. Though a model can be affected by an enemy and friendly upkeep at the same time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Can a model be effected by multiple upkeeps?

Nope, if you cast a second upkeep on a model/unit the first upkeep automatically expires. This is part of why non-upkeep/spell abilities liek Rhupert's songs or Damiano's coin effects are so good.

What you can do is to exploit the timing of game to maximize the effect of different spells. So you could cast Iron Agression on your Mangler round one. At the start of your second turn you upkeep it, activate the Mangler and have it attack (getting all the benefits from Iron Agression). Then you activate Magnus and cast Tempered Metal on the Mangler - that will cause Iron Agression to expire, but you've already used it so you don't care, and your Mangler will have the benefit of Tempered Metal through your opponent's turn. Of course, in turn three you won't be able to pull the same trick again.

You can also use this same tactic to double up on Snipe. Round one you cast it on one Renegade. Round two that Renegade fires, then you cast the spell on your second Renegade - that makes it expire on the first one, but you don't care. Then activate the second Renegade and enjoy your second sniped shot.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

I know exactly how good I have it, I'm playing Menoth (the best faction). Just because the faith of others waivers doesn't mean mine does. :colbert:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
From my understanding you cant shoot and stab, even when buying attacks unless its an out of turn activation(ancillary shot via a vassal) and your not engaged.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I'm on a horse
I'm on a goat
I'm on whoa gently caress I think thats his dad

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Nope, if you cast a second upkeep on a model/unit the first upkeep automatically expires. This is part of why non-upkeep/spell abilities liek Rhupert's songs or Damiano's coin effects are so good.

What you can do is to exploit the timing of game to maximize the effect of different spells. So you could cast Iron Agression on your Mangler round one. At the start of your second turn you upkeep it, activate the Mangler and have it attack (getting all the benefits from Iron Agression). Then you activate Magnus and cast Tempered Metal on the Mangler - that will cause Iron Agression to expire, but you've already used it so you don't care, and your Mangler will have the benefit of Tempered Metal through your opponent's turn. Of course, in turn three you won't be able to pull the same trick again.

You can also use this same tactic to double up on Snipe. Round one you cast it on one Renegade. Round two that Renegade fires, then you cast the spell on your second Renegade - that makes it expire on the first one, but you don't care. Then activate the second Renegade and enjoy your second sniped shot.

Yea, the snipe trick I do every game- I knew you can't have the same spell on differnet models, just wasn't sure about different spells on one :)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ashcans posted:

* Galleon (18)

I actually like pMags with it more. Snipe, Iron Aggression, Temper Metal, all great for it.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ashcans posted:

Thinking about it, you could easily switch out the spells based on what the Galleon is doing that turn. Give it Snipe for the first two turns, and if you need to thresher infantry about just switch over to Iron Aggression for the free boosted Melee attacks. Getting into a slug match with another Colossal or a gaggle of Jacks, give him Tempered Metal.

Its a shame about his feat but that's one hell of a toolbox for the Galleon.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And still, you can use his feat to cordon him off with your other jacks and protect him.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone here have any experience in magnetizing heavy warjacks? I've got a bunch of 1/16 magnets and think these should be enough for the arms, but I'll need smaller ones for the head.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Eyespy posted:

Actually that's more or less what I had in mind, except I was looking at adding the B13th at the 15 point level.

At 25 points Runewood and max Sword Knights only bring things to 24 points. I'm a lost as to what Junior is, Journeyman Warcaster?

Sorry, lots of posts today. Junior = Journeyman, yeah, sorry! If you bring min Sword Knights you'll have three for him. B13 is cool and everything, but who brings stealthed units to a 15-point game? By all means slot them in for 35, but unless you love the models I'd wait a little while. (They're great, but they're great at something other than shooting at non-stealthed heavy jacks.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I actually like pMags with it more. Snipe, Iron Aggression, Temper Metal, all great for it.

I was thinking that Bart would be able to combine Batten and Broadsides on it, but forgot how expensive those are (and that Batten is not an upkeep). You're right, pMags is probably better, especially if that's the only jack - both Batten and Broadsides get better the more jacks you have running.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Bart is still a good match for the Galleon. Hotshot on the Galleon is just disgusting. All those gun ports with boosted damage is going to spell death to banes, Exemplar and any warjack that gets knocked over by Bart's feat.

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone here have any experience in magnetizing heavy warjacks? I've got a bunch of 1/16 magnets and think these should be enough for the arms, but I'll need smaller ones for the head.

1/16 magnets (is that radius or diameter?) are pretty tiny, but they should be enough for plastic to plastic. No guarantee for plastic to metal though (for upgrade kits), so be careful. I used 5mm radii magnets (about 3-4 times the size: 1/16 is about 1.5mm) and they worked fine for plastic to metal. I think 3mm ones should be ok too.

I don't think you should bother magnetising the head though. The plastic warjack kits have tiny heads compared to the metal ones and most people don't care which one you use. If you've got magnets small enough, go for it. I wouldn't make it a priority though.

Bit of naff advice to finish up, but make sure you mark the connecting sides with a permanent marker before you glue them in. It'll rub off when you're done and save a lot of trouble. The last thing you want to do with magnets is try digging one out after you've stuck it in the wrong way.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks man, I was thinking of picking up smaller magnets for the heads but was a bit cautious of it. I normally tend to assembly things directly and haven't really ever tried converting stuff in any way so it's a bit daunting. That said I wasn't sure whether I'd bother running two Crusaders for Menoth at all and was tempted to glue the shield onto the arm, granted I'd lose a one of the three 'jacks in the kit, but it would save a headache on magnetizing the shield too.

The magnets are 1/8 x 1/16 for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Chicken Slayer posted:

Bart is still a good match for the Galleon. Hotshot on the Galleon is just disgusting. All those gun ports with boosted damage is going to spell death to banes, Exemplar and any warjack that gets knocked over by Bart's feat.

1/16 magnets (is that radius or diameter?) are pretty tiny, but they should be enough for plastic to plastic. No guarantee for plastic to metal though (for upgrade kits), so be careful. I used 5mm radii magnets (about 3-4 times the size: 1/16 is about 1.5mm) and they worked fine for plastic to metal. I think 3mm ones should be ok too.

I don't think you should bother magnetising the head though. The plastic warjack kits have tiny heads compared to the metal ones and most people don't care which one you use. If you've got magnets small enough, go for it. I wouldn't make it a priority though.

Bit of naff advice to finish up, but make sure you mark the connecting sides with a permanent marker before you glue them in. It'll rub off when you're done and save a lot of trouble. The last thing you want to do with magnets is try digging one out after you've stuck it in the wrong way.

Ever since they came out with the updated warjack kits where they are all plastic and contain the parts you need to build a bunch of them, i have been magnetizing and painting all the parts so that i can swap them out without having to buy a zillion kits. 1/16 is KINDA tiny for some of the arm parts but it should work. Here is a great guide on how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXaFcS8THss Warning, his intro sound is ear raping. He will tell you what kinds of magnets to use and where to place them in order to get the best effect. Also its always worth checking out MiniWargameing's store to see if they are doing a free magnet giveaway since you will use these things often once you figure out what you can do with them.

• Locked thread