Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My springboard keeps crashing on my jailbroken iPad 3. All I have installed is NCSettings and Zephyr. Anyone else having this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I am jailbroken on iPad 3 and have neither of those installed and no problems. So I'm guessing one of them is the culprit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have NCsettongs and have no issues. Maybe it's Zephyr? Try uninstalling one at a time and see which one is causing it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
NCSettings did nothing for me but crash when I first tried it on 5.1.1 with my 4S. Its changelog for May 30th says it was updated to fix issues with crashing. I just installed it again, and it crashed on me again when trying to change its settings.

I'd blame that.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
I haven't seen the apparently infamous "white icon" bug yet, in several days of jailbroken 4S (the closest thing is that I get no icons at all using SmallBanners), but wifi has been suddenly spotty and I just had to reboot to get rid of "No WiFi", the entire subsystem was just gone. Other than that this has been a pleasant experience. The out-of-mainline-repository version of f.lux that actually uses the correct longitude is sweet as hell (it's on flux.herf.org)

Other than that I'm in love with the tiny fixes like ShowCase (that makes the keyboard case match the actual shift mode, like every single other on-screen keyboard on the planet)

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Wolf on Air posted:

Other than that I'm in love with the tiny fixes like ShowCase (that makes the keyboard case match the actual shift mode, like every single other on-screen keyboard on the planet)

This is a nice little change, thanks.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Woke up and saw the Dev-Team Blog had updated. After panicking a bit when redsnow spat out a corrupt ipsw (error 14 while restoring in iTunes) I switched over to Pwnagetool and enjoyed a smooth update to 5.1.1. My iPhone 4 is up to date, jailbroken, and unlocked with Ultrasnow 1.2.7.:dance:

No white icons and Cydia is actually responsive.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Oneiros posted:

No white icons and Cydia is actually responsive.

Happy thought of the day:

Cydia installs the broken uicache program to all devices. So even if you aren't experiencing "white" icons now, rest assured that your device *is* loaded with a buggy and out-dated ticking time-bomb of memory & graphical corruption! :3:

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

by astral

Xenomorph posted:

Happy thought of the day:

Cydia installs the broken uicache program to all devices. So even if you aren't experiencing "white" icons now, rest assured that your device *is* loaded with a buggy and out-dated ticking time-bomb of memory & graphical corruption! :3:

Can you expand on graphical corruption? Or did you just mean white icons?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Has ANYONE managed to get SiriPort working? I updated my iPhone 4 (AT&T) to 5.1.1 and jailbroke without any issue at all, followed the repo and certificate installation instructions to the letter, and still haven't been able to get the drat thing working.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

suboptimal posted:

Has ANYONE managed to get SiriPort working? I updated my iPhone 4 (AT&T) to 5.1.1 and jailbroke without any issue at all, followed the repo and certificate installation instructions to the letter, and still haven't been able to get the drat thing working.

Working great for my on my iPhone 4. Just make sure you keep trying to "activate" Siri by trying over and over. It took me like 15-20 tries of Siri saying she "can't take any more requests right now" but if you keep trying it should eventually work.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Did you reboot after each failed attempt? That's getting a bit tedious....

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
No, just keep trying. No need to reboot

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 4S is perfectly fine jailbroken on 5.0.1, but there appears to be some convenient patches in 5.1. I know even 5.0.1 isn't unlocked, but should I be worried about upgrading the baseband with respect to resale value? I suppose with ATT unlocking phones out of contract and/or Gevy SIM, do we even need to concern ourselves with software unlock anymore?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all. Always like to check in with the thread before I do anything. I am jailbroken on 5.0.1 and want to go to stock 5.1.1. Ive removed all cydia apps. Just upgrade ota or anything else need to be done?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Where do jailbreak apps store their settings information?

I want to remove my settings for infinifolders if anyone knows a quick and easy way of doing it?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

MickRaider posted:

Where do jailbreak apps store their settings information?

I want to remove my settings for infinifolders if anyone knows a quick and easy way of doing it?

Springtomize ($2.99) has the ability to remove extension settings, as well as combining some of the more popular tweaks into one (the tv-style shutdown, multiple dock icons, animation speed, carrier name, etc.)

TraderStav posted:

Hey all. Always like to check in with the thread before I do anything. I am jailbroken on 5.0.1 and want to go to stock 5.1.1. Ive removed all cydia apps. Just upgrade ota or anything else need to be done?

What I did:
Backup in iTunes, update and restore to 5.1.1, restore from backup, download greenpois0n and run one of the easiest jailbreaks ever (don't even need to DFU, just plug in iDevice click run and you're set).

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 4, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Manac0r posted:

Can you expand on graphical corruption? Or did you just mean white icons?

The icon information is corrupted, either in memory, or in the cache on the device's filesystem. Sometimes iOS will show the corrupted icon, such as a swapped/incorrect image (Photos with a Mail icon, etc) or a low-resolution/swapped icon (a blurry Mail icon). Most of the time the icon is so corrupted, iOS just displays the blank white icon (which is the system default).

Edit: there are also references to files in uicache that existed in iOS 3.0 (but do not exist in iOS 5.x). uicache hasn't been updated since before these iOS 5.1.1 and even 5.0.1 jailbreaks came out. Just like WinterBoard, we'll have to wait a long time for saurik to fix this (text issues that showed up in iOS 4.0 & WinterBoard were not fixed until around the time iOS 5.1 came out a year and a half later, and iAds are still not fixed).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 4, 2012

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Wolf on Air posted:

I haven't seen the apparently infamous "white icon" bug yet, in several days of jailbroken 4S (the closest thing is that I get no icons at all using SmallBanners), but wifi has been suddenly spotty and I just had to reboot to get rid of "No WiFi", the entire subsystem was just gone. Other than that this has been a pleasant experience. The out-of-mainline-repository version of f.lux that actually uses the correct longitude is sweet as hell (it's on flux.herf.org)

ShowCase is awesome and I wish I'd found it months ago, thanks.

I added the flux.herf.org repo but the version of f.lux in there seems to be the same as the one that is in the default Cydia repos, am I missing anything?

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
It wasn't for me, the new version also has an app icon and can use GPS to get proper sun timings. Some other cute hacks I highly recommend: SwipeShiftCaret, Software Update Killer, ResetAllKiller, SmallBanners, Single-Use Clipboard, Screenshot Dam, Safari UniBar, Pull To Refresh for Mail, iKnowIt, DoNotDisturb, DietBar, Delete Word, Autoprotect, Attacher, AskToCall, appslide.

And if you are a terrible person like I am, NyanSliders.

Guys, I have permanent "no wifi" and I've just done a full restore-rejailbreak cycle, this is starting to be disconcerting. Backing up and restoring to 5.1.1 stock with iTunes next I suppose.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 4, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wolf on Air posted:

It wasn't for me, the new version also has an app icon and can use GPS to get proper sun timings.

Guys, I have permanent "no wifi" and I've just done a full restore-rejailbreak cycle, this is starting to be disconcerting. Backing up and restoring to 5.1.1 stock with iTunes next I suppose.

Try this.

Back up.

Restore on iTunes.

(Check Wifi. Good? Ok!)

Jailbreak.

(Check Wifi. Good? Ok!)

Don't bother restoring from your backup for a while. See if things remain good.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor

Welp

(freshly restored with iTunes. It was already going back for the echo bug in calls, anyway, which it has already been replaced for once before)

Apparently not alone in this. Apple: It Just Works.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2012

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Have you tried Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wolf on Air posted:

Apple: It Just Works.

Well let's be fair. Their tagline isn't "Apple: you will never, EVER, get a defective unit, even though it's completely natural that some would exist. Also, we know you were messing around with a Jailbreak, so maybe you did something to it!"

Because let's be honest.. that's just way too long. ;)

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Second defective unit in a row, actually. And I've mashed reset network a bunch of times just in case, but you'd think reflashing the baseband, kernel, OS and emptying the filesystem would be a global enough reset anyway. It lists N/A for its wifi card MAC too, of course.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

So after reloading everything onto iTunes match, playlists won't show up on my match enabled iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 jailbreak. I guess I'll have to vanilla restore and just leave it that way.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wolf on Air posted:

Second defective unit in a row, actually.

Yous electromagnetic, son.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
my wifi won't connect after upgrading and jailbreaking 5.1.1 :( It sees my network but just won't connect. My laptop and ipad work just fine though (ipad unjailbroken).

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

wizard sticks posted:

my wifi won't connect after upgrading and jailbreaking 5.1.1 :( It sees my network but just won't connect. My laptop and ipad work just fine though (ipad unjailbroken).
Tell it to forget the network and then reconnect.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Tell it to forget the network and then reconnect.

Tried that - didn't work. Tried rebooting phone. Tried unplugging wifi. Might just restore and screw the jailbreak.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Can anyone explain to me siriport works? Is it using its own servers instead of Apple's? This seems like it should be a privacy concern, frankly. Also, what are the ramifications of installing their certificate? Does it open the device up to vulnerabilities? I'm a bit paranoid about installing random poo poo on my phone from people I don't know, especially a Russian site. :tinfoil:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

furushotakeru posted:

Can anyone explain to me siriport works? Is it using its own servers instead of Apple's? This seems like it should be a privacy concern, frankly. Also, what are the ramifications of installing their certificate? Does it open the device up to vulnerabilities? I'm a bit paranoid about installing random poo poo on my phone from people I don't know, especially a Russian site. :tinfoil:

I presume the SiriPort app installs all the missing pieces of the Siri app that gets left out of IPSW updates for the 3GS and 4. The official Siri servers check for and authenticate against the cert that you download from siriport.ru, which I assume he's extracted from the latest IPSW files.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wolf on Air posted:

It wasn't for me, the new version also has an app icon and can use GPS to get proper sun timings. Some other cute hacks I highly recommend: SwipeShiftCaret, Software Update Killer, ResetAllKiller, SmallBanners, Single-Use Clipboard, Screenshot Dam, Safari UniBar, Pull To Refresh for Mail, iKnowIt, DoNotDisturb, DietBar, Delete Word, Autoprotect, Attacher, AskToCall, appslide.

And if you are a terrible person like I am, NyanSliders.
I was going to ask what all those things you listed the name of actually do, then I decided to go ahead and google them, starting with the last one and, well, I don't think I want to know any more ;). Bad idea i guess; that's "moar" 4-channess than I can handle.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Honestly, saurik should make ResetAllKiller part of the default Cydia install. I just noticed his FAQ on Cydia said you should never hit "Reset All Content and Settings", and the ResetAllKiller tweak (which disables those functions) is listed as one of his *featured* addons.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Well I went ahead and installed siriport, hopefully the Russian mob wil have fun with all my contacts info. Haven't had any luck getting Siri to work though. Which is a drat shame because Hands Free is going to be loving amazing while I'm driving.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor

wizard sticks posted:

Hello, friend, this is how my problem started out, before the wifi chip just threw in the towel completely :(
(and this morning it's complained about being unable to connect to data, this is starting to make me paranoid about whether the baseband got boobytrapped or something.)

randyest posted:

I was going to ask what all those things you listed the name of actually do, then I decided to go ahead and google them, starting with the last one and, well, I don't think I want to know any more ;). Bad idea i guess; that's "moar" 4-channess than I can handle.

You were warned :)

The other ones are actually nice & useful, somewhat depending on taste, of course, but not superfluous like that one.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 5, 2012

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
I hard restored my wifi router and it now works! I'm afraid to jailbreak my ipad 3 though.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
So I noticed on jailbreakmatrix.com has a redsn0w jailbreak for iphone4/4s. Anyone from the thread who was having cellular data/wifi issues given that a shot? I don't really feel like jailbreaking my phone for the 10th time this week but I suppose I can do it for scientific purposes if no one else has done it/wants to do it.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
I used redsn0w the last couple of times, mostly to verify that "offline" shsh re-installation actually worked (it seems to in as far as it supposedly asks the cydia servers for my shsh, but the 'local file' button is grayed out so who the gently caress knows, documentation is not the forte of hackers anywhere).

It mostly works, but it failed once or twice in interesting ways whereas absinthe gave me no trouble so far on two phones (jailbroke a friends' phone too, hoping hers doesn't break down too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Wolf on Air posted:

I used redsn0w the last couple of times, mostly to verify that "offline" shsh re-installation actually worked (it seems to in as far as it supposedly asks the cydia servers for my shsh, but the 'local file' button is grayed out so who the gently caress knows, documentation is not the forte of hackers anywhere).

It mostly works, but it failed once or twice in interesting ways whereas absinthe gave me no trouble so far on two phones (jailbroke a friends' phone too, hoping hers doesn't break down too)

Yeah I've used redsn0w for my jailbreaks going back years now so I didn't doubt that it would actually jailbreak the phone. I'm interested specifically in whether or not it's fixed the 3g internet problems myself and other people in this thread have reported. I might just bite the bullet and try it later this evening.

• Locked thread