Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

We have 4 or 5 mud runs where I live every year. The best part of mud runs is it becomes muddy tshirt contest. Boobs, gentlemen. Boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I genuinely don't understand runners. I can get behind running for exercise purposes, but even then it's pretty far down the list on things I want to do to maintain my health.

But these jokers drop cold hard cash for the opportunity to slide around in a pit of mud? That's just nuts.

Wife's a runner, and she recently discovered the existence of "color runs". You pay a fee, wear a white t-shirt, and every mile people stand around and throw colored powder at you. She can't wait to try it.

That's fun, seriously? Who wants to pay to get abused? :iiam:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I've probably shot around 200 runs- 5k's, 10k's, fun runs, mud runs, run for pies, doughnut runs. The color runs are new around here- it's the new hottness. But you are right. It makes no sense to be whatsoever. Which is what people probably say when I go shoot GWAR, skateboarding or golf.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
Went out and shot some skiers/boarders up at Whistler for the first time. I almost always take my camera, but the weather is almost always poo poo. When the sun came out I planted myself by the park and started snapping. By the end of the afternoon I started getting some decent shots, and was cursing my 3 fps D80.

Now that I've upgraded to the D300s, hopefully I'll get another sunny day to practice on the slopes in the next season.

And this guy ruined my day by hitting my lens with a huge spray of snow.

Though his friend made for an entertaining picture.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Some more from the football pitch.
Vålerenga - Rosenborg:

Vålerenga Fotball - Rosenborg Ballklub by azathosk, on Flickr

I've had good progress on the quality of my shots, but now I feel I'm stagnating. Trying out a few new techniques for focusing (moving the AF around and such), but I don't really know quite what to do. You guys got any tips?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I shoot a ton of track & field and cross country meets, and I'm with you guys, I don't understand runners, especially the distance guys. The just always look so loving miserable when they finish. I can't count the number of times I've seen kids throw up at or before the finish line.

This is far and away your best of the set. Good light, great context with scenery while showing action from the front, and the whole frame is just filled up nicely. I dig it.

azathosk posted:

I've had good progress on the quality of my shots, but now I feel I'm stagnating. Trying out a few new techniques for focusing (moving the AF around and such), but I don't really know quite what to do. You guys got any tips?

This happens to me when I shoot a lot of the same stuff over and over. To snap out of it I'll make myself try something completely different. If it's something I normally shoot with long glass, I'll bust out the wide angle for a while. Or on the flip side, look for tight, funky detail shots, like shoes being tied, or just a foot and a ball, etc. (I swear I don't have a foot fetish.) Or pick a place to shoot from you've never tried before, or set up a remote somewhere new. Check out the crowd, or the officials, or the bench. Look for emotion as well as action.

That was just a lot of words to say try something different to get the creative juices flowing again. If you're not working for somebody who needs every play documented, don't be afraid to sacrifice some potential action to spend time making something completely different. A lot of my favorite sports photos recently, both that I've shot and that I've seen from other folks, have been anything but typical peak action.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

This happens to me when I shoot a lot of the same stuff over and over. To snap out of it I'll make myself try something completely different. If it's something I normally shoot with long glass, I'll bust out the wide angle for a while. Or on the flip side, look for tight, funky detail shots, like shoes being tied, or just a foot and a ball, etc. (I swear I don't have a foot fetish.) Or pick a place to shoot from you've never tried before, or set up a remote somewhere new. Check out the crowd, or the officials, or the bench. Look for emotion as well as action.

That was just a lot of words to say try something different to get the creative juices flowing again. If you're not working for somebody who needs every play documented, don't be afraid to sacrifice some potential action to spend time making something completely different. A lot of my favorite sports photos recently, both that I've shot and that I've seen from other folks, have been anything but typical peak action.

All of this is true. Go wide, shoot anything but players for a match, follow the officials, get in tight on crowds (especially if you get their attention), stuff like that. Still one of my all-time favorite shots came when I just got low and slowed the shutter just to see what would happen:

P4100512124 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Also, SkinnyBins those are awesome and I'd love to shoot skiers sometime.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I am considering shooting just the crowd for an entire match - or just focus on facial expressions (no matter if they are players, in the crowd, coaches or the refs). We don't have a match in five weeks now so I have a bit of time to figure out what I want to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

azathosk posted:

I am considering shooting just the crowd for an entire match - or just focus on facial expressions (no matter if they are players, in the crowd, coaches or the refs). We don't have a match in five weeks now so I have a bit of time to figure out what I want to do.

Pictures of photographers chimping while something dramatic happens in the game. :v:

If you can get both in frame, mission accomplished.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I was down to the last 5 shots on my 16GB CF card at a state championship game for my college's baseball team.

We were down 0-1 in the top of the eighth inning, and we were up to bat with two outs. Thinking that the inning was almost over, I chose this moment to swap CF cards. My camera bag was in an odd spot in the dugout, sitting between two bags of sports equipment, so digging my next CF card out of my bag was going to take a few seconds.

The moment that I removed the CF card from my camera, the dugout suddenly exploded into excitement. People were screaming and yelling. The guy up to bat hit a triple, sending two runs home and sending our team into the lead in the process. I stopped in my tracks and took the last 5 shots on my CF card. By the time I got my next CF card loaded, most of the excitement was over. I still got a couple of "ok" reaction shots but I know that there would have been some "awesome" action/reaction shots had I planned better.

Some lessons learned:

1) Keep a CF card in my pocket.
2) Change the CF card out before the last 5 shots during a boring moment, such as between innings.
3) It's probably not a good idea to change CF cards when anybody is on base, ever, no matter what.

Sigh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think you just convinced me to start buying 64GB SD cards.

Or maybe 128 just to be safe. :ohdear:

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

xzzy posted:

I think you just convinced me to start buying 64GB SD cards.

Or maybe 128 just to be safe. :ohdear:

Or get a camera that handles multiple cards...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Shooting sports with a 14mm.

Marine Combat Fitness Test.

Grenade Throw

The Throw by torgeaux, on Flickr

Casualty Drag

The Drag12 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Low Crawl

Going First Sucks by torgeaux, on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
How far away from you is the guy in the crawl?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

n0n0 posted:

How far away from you is the guy in the crawl?

Actually, that one is a 200mm shot. I'm about 4 feet from the grenade thrower, and less from the drag photo.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

xzzy posted:

Pictures of photographers chimping while something dramatic happens in the game. :v:

If you can get both in frame, mission accomplished.

Haha, will try to do that in the next "big match" I'm attending.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

xzzy posted:

I genuinely don't understand runners. I can get behind running for exercise purposes, but even then it's pretty far down the list on things I want to do to maintain my health.

But these jokers drop cold hard cash for the opportunity to slide around in a pit of mud? That's just nuts.

Wife's a runner, and she recently discovered the existence of "color runs". You pay a fee, wear a white t-shirt, and every mile people stand around and throw colored powder at you. She can't wait to try it.

That's fun, seriously? Who wants to pay to get abused? :iiam:

I never liked running *just for the sake of running and general health*. But when I had a goal, I immediately set to improving myself. I've lost 25 lbs preparing for and just completed the Reno Tahoe Odyssey. It's a 178 mile relay run from Reno, around the west/south shore of Lake Tahoe, and back to Reno through Carson and Virginia City.

People love to do it because they get an opportunity to go crazy with friends.

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 007 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

You got to name and theme your own team - these two were part of the Gold Diggers.

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 035 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Dunno what team she was on, but hey, rock that tutu.

These girls were on team Super Beeroes:

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 037 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Plus you get to meet awesome new people. I met the Hash House Harriers only 10 minutes into my first run. And I now know it's an international drinking organization with a running problem. And I think I am going to meet up with them next time they organize something!

Plus you get to build camaraderie with your teammates,

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 027 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 029 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

You get to see (and photograph if you're into it) some amazing scenery:

Reno Tahoe Odyssey Scenery 1 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Reno Tahoe Odyssey Scenery 2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

And sometimes you find things to photograph you'd never have found on your own.

Free Local Calls by sulakkalus, on Flickr

The parameters of the event itself challenge you to try new things to get interesting photos.

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 071 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

And maybe to you that isn't a great photo or doesn't really mean much, but that's my friend STEAMING after running 6 miles in pitch black in the middle of the night. And I know just how much he enjoyed that bottle of water because I did just as much when I was done with my portions.

My team carried a POW/MIA almost the whole time.

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 009 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 040 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

And I wanted to try to document as much as I could, but after being awake for 30 hours, I just wanted to sleep, so I kind of stopped taking pictures until the very end. Because gently caress, if we ran 178 miles in 24 hours, we're drat well going to make sure we get the last shot.

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 087 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

So yeah, I paid $110 to run 15 miles. What did I get out of it? A piece of fried chicken, a "178" sticker, a T-Shirt, and this:

RTO 2012 Medal by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Oh, and the rest of the money went to charitable organizations to help kids with cancer. I feel like I've really accomplished something. That's something that I haven't felt in a long time, and I know I can do better next time.

So while I didn't really "get" running for the longest time, I think I understand it now.

On the flipside, whenever you invite crazy costumes and themed teams you get...

Reno Tahoe Odyssey 078 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I am 1000% sure she did not run. But I did 15 miles over 3 runs and I genuinely feel like a better person for having done so... At least... I will when I can walk again... haha

Drewski fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 4, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Livin' on the edge. Gettin' like $4000 worth of body and lens amazingly close to dropping in a lake. Hell yeah :getin:

37 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

43 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

45 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

46 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

47 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Livin' on the edge. Gettin' like $4000 worth of body and lens amazingly close to dropping in a lake. Hell yeah :getin:

37 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

43 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

45 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

46 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

47 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

C'mon man, straighten those horizons.

Took the boy to his first ballgame. Strassburg pitching well, Nats win a game, and he loved every second.

First shot, he leans into frame when I'm shooting a quick shot of the field.

Trying to Take a Picture of the Field by torgeaux, on Flickr

First Pitch by torgeaux, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

C'mon man, straighten those horizons.

poo poo :downs: knew i forgot something. I was working on them late last night and just threw them up there not thinking of that.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

torgeaux posted:

Took the boy to his first ballgame. Strassburg pitching well, Nats win a game, and he loved every second.

Was there any hassle bringing a DSLR into Nationals Park? I'm in DC pretty regularly and always think it would be fun to bring a camera, but I usually Metro in and don't want to be denied at security.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

Was there any hassle bringing a DSLR into Nationals Park? I'm in DC pretty regularly and always think it would be fun to bring a camera, but I usually Metro in and don't want to be denied at security.

Most stadiums list their camera policy on their webpage somewhere. The Rays stadium in Tampa I had no problem taking my 50D with grip and my 70-200 f2.8 lens.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BobTheCow posted:

"No lenses in excess of 8 inches in length."

Eliminates my 70-200, my 100-400, leaves in my 24-105 and all my primes. I just took the 24-105. And regretted not having my 14mm. A lot.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Buy 3 70-200 thermos flasks.
Take 3 friends.
Very carefully put the real lens at the bottom and fill the other 3 with enough liquid to match the weight.
When they have a look and check one or 2 you are away.
The perfect crime.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Steve McScene posted:

Buy 3 70-200 thermos flasks.
Take 3 friends.
Very carefully put the real lens at the bottom and fill the other 3 with enough liquid to match the weight.
When they have a look and check one or 2 you are away.
The perfect crime.

They'd have let me in anyway. Didn't lift the camera out of the bag, so all they could see was a lens cap. Didn't want to have to walk back to the car, though.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Thanks for the info. I'd checked the web site, I guess I was more curious about how strict they were to see if I could get a 70-200 in. We'll see how I'm feeling next time I'm up there.

On an unrelated note, just found out this photo won first place for the first quarter Virginia News Photographers Association clip contest in Sports. :toot: Canon's offering free printing/display at Look3 this weekend, I think I'm gonna print this one and gently caress up the flow of all the serious documentary stuff.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 8, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats dude :toot: that's awesome

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Congrats -- that's awesome. But why is the guy in the front row lifting his shirt up and rubbing his breast?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

n0n0 posted:

Congrats -- that's awesome. But why is the guy in the front row lifting his shirt up and rubbing his breast?

It's important to give self exams on a regular basis :eng101:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hahaha isn't that a goofy bastard? He really drew my eye to that point in the photo, and apparently I'm not alone. He's the reason I even bothered submitting the photo at all. He hosed up enough of my other pure yellow photos, I figured I might as well pick something that would at least make judges laugh.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

I can't get my eyes of that stupid kid in the Glasgow Celtic-shirt.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Do you know anything about him? Does he sit and rub his nipples at every game?

Brockus
May 3, 2009
Last year, my photo won first place the Division II Sports Photo from the Michigan Press Association. For the judge's comment, they applauded the fact that the Ferris State player had scored 24 points in the game (which was coincided with the jersey number of the Grand Valley player). I felt it was a unique photo for different reasons.

I have to see what photo they'll select this year.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Eeek posted:

Do you know anything about him? Does he sit and rub his nipples at every game?

This was a team from out of town at the state championship. I'd never shot them before, so I have no idea. But I'd like to think that at every game, even if he's the only one in the stands, he faithfully stands and massages himself.

His lack of yellow was significantly less amusing for my close, wide shots, though. :(

Brockus posted:

Last year, my photo won first place the Division II Sports Photo from the Michigan Press Association. For the judge's comment, they applauded the fact that the Ferris State player had scored 24 points in the game (which was coincided with the jersey number of the Grand Valley player). I felt it was a unique photo for different reasons.

I have to see what photo they'll select this year.

Hahaha that's great. I've got a similar photo from a women's game, but yours definitely takes the cake.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Went to watch the Scotland leg of the European Downhill Cup today. Been a while since I took any sports photos so I'm pretty pleased with the results:

No Goggles by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Speeding by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Drift by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Tried out my panning and shooting skills last night. Not really sure how well they worked.

Lead Jammer 3 by BJ.Austin, on Flickr

Lead Jammer 2 by BJ.Austin, on Flickr

Deutsch Angles by BJ.Austin, on Flickr

I got a good blur, but I had trouble keeping everything in focus. Any suggestions? Most of the shots were 3.2 at 1/60.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Holistic Detective posted:

Went to watch the Scotland leg of the European Downhill Cup today. Been a while since I took any sports photos so I'm pretty pleased with the results:

No Goggles by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

That one is the best. It shows speed and you got the face in the shot.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Tried out my panning and shooting skills last night. Not really sure how well they worked.

I got a good blur, but I had trouble keeping everything in focus. Any suggestions? Most of the shots were 3.2 at 1/60.

They're all a bit "meh" for me. No face, and it's a bit too blurry. I think you have something going tho, but try to get their faces in next time - it will make it so much more interesting.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

azathosk posted:

That one is the best. It shows speed and you got the face in the shot.

Yeah, unfortunately getting the face in the shot isn't really feasible most of the time with mountain biking. That one was a fluke since she was oretty much the only rider without goggles. Most of the time even fully face on shots end up looking like this:

Drop by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Ramp It by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 18, 2012

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Holistic Detective posted:

Yeah, unfortunately getting the face in the shot isn't really feasible most of the time with mountain biking. That one was a fluke since she was oretty much the only rider without goggles. Most of the time even fully face on shots end up looking like this:

I think that "showed face" was wrong description on my part. What I should have written was: "it was head on".

I did some football again:

Skeid - KFUM by azathosk, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I shot a time lapse from the deck of my kayak yesterday. Upstream along the Huron river from Argo Dam to Barton Dam, near sunset. Thanks to youtube's stabilization, it's a lot less quivery than it was, but I still think I'll stick to regular video for the kayak from here on out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_yZsyz9Ek