Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
ASOIAF was basically a linear decrease in level of enjoyment from book one on, and by the end i was just like "hey can you stop wasting my time and just give me a twenty page outline of how this series ends"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

LmaoTheKid posted:

Seriously, forget about GRRM finishing ASOIAF, loving finish The Arts trilogy Barker!

18 years since everville. lmao it ain't happening.

abarat is garbage

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

Trig Discipline posted:

ASOIAF was basically a linear decrease in level of enjoyment from book one on, and by the end i was just like "hey can you stop wasting my time and just give me a twenty page outline of how this series ends"

same with Dune although chapterhouse had SOME interesting stuff going on

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

duncan freakin idaho times a BILLION

:suicide:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

abarat is garbage

wasn't that his attempt at sucking money from the harry potter/twilight market

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Internaut! posted:

wasn't that his attempt at sucking money from the harry potter/twilight market

it was just a really boring neil gaiman style magical journey book

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

oh hey this isn't the book barn so I can say what I really think about people who enjoy dune books from god emperor onwards:

u dumb

god emperor of dune is not a grown up book like you think it is. it's a stupid book for idiots

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i have never read a dune

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
go do it, then read the rest of them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

i have never read a dune

Dune owns

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
not the ones his son wrote, those are bad.

but his are kinda ok, i wish he had wrapped it up at the end though

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i read the original and listened to tim curry narrate one of the house books on tape. i'll read the others some day

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Dune does in fact own

I should maybe read a couple of the sequels at some point in my life

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Dune does in fact own

I should maybe read a couple of the sequels at some point in my life

the first two are ok, but much worse than the first

4-6 are complete garbage and should be ignored

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
mlyp

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
are any warhammer 40k novels any good? and by good i mean good by pulp fiction standards, not some classical works of literature

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

z0ratio fartboner posted:

same with Dune although chapterhouse had SOME interesting stuff going on

I enjoy them up through God Emperor, even if last time I read God Emperor I came away feeling that it's a massive couch session for an author who is clearly feeling some serious regrets and senses the nearness of death

but after I finished God Emperor I didn't really want to go on. I mean I read Heretics and Chapterhouse back in high school when I first read through the whole series, and I didn't loathe it, but it was very strange.

maybe it's too superficial/obvious/incorrect a reading, but thinking of Leto II as Frank Herbert made for some interesting reading for me.

anyway those are my (bad) opinions, thanks for reading

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

god emperor was terrible terrible shite

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

Shaggar posted:

Dune owns

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

god emperor was different, not terrible.

read the first three as a unit, then 4 if you're interested. poo poo goes off the rails in heretics and chapterhouse and then herbert up and died, so who knows what the gently caress

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

do a shot everytime leto cries for hwee norree

then kill ursaelf

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Deuterieux posted:

god emperor was different, not terrible.

read the first three as a unit, then 4 if you're interested. poo poo goes off the rails in heretics and chapterhouse and then herbert up and died, so who knows what the gently caress

wrong

read the first one as a standalone book

read the next two if you feel like gradually wearing out your goodwill toward the series

read the last 3 if you are an idiot baby who can't recognize bullshit when they see it

EDIT: read the KJA/Brian herbert books if you are a manchild with oodles of time to waste on brain-rotting dreck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like dune alot and as much as i'd love more dune i dont want to taint the dune ive got with the other books

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 5, 2012

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Amethyst posted:

wrong

read the next two if you feel like gradually wearing out your goodwill toward the series

read the last 3 if you are an idiot baby who can't recognize bullshit when they see it

EDIT: read the KJA/Brian herbert books if you are a manchild with oodles of time to waste on brain-rotting dreck

the first is the best. the second and third are lower in quality but they're also easy reads so why the gently caress not? just stop reading them if they aren't your cup.

i enjoyed 4 even though it has issues, and i read 5 and 6 because i both hate and can't stop hurting myself.

the kage herbert books were a trainwreck on so many independent levels that it's a completely different discussion.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

I like dune alot and as much as i'd love more dune idk to taint the dune ive got with the other books

just start reading the second one and if you're all "meh" then put it down. easy peasy.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Amethyst posted:

wrong

this is a Correct Opinion. messiah and children aren't as good as dune but they're still decent books, everything after is just a boring loving slog which you only feel like you ought to read because it's got the word 'dune' in the title.

XausF1 posted:

are any warhammer 40k novels any good? and by good i mean good by pulp fiction standards, not some classical works of literature

dan abnett's books are decent fun but you better get used to him abusing the living gently caress out of certain adjectives to describe certain characters every time they appear and some pretty stupid, gullible decisions being made by characters who are supposed to be suspicious of everyone

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Deuterieux posted:

just start reading the second one and if you're all "meh" then put it down. easy peasy.

Dune messiah opens with one of the most poorly written dialogue sequences ever commited to paper.

it gets more interesting after that but man, that first chapter is a doozy

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i havent read those books in about 15 years, but i remember dune and dune messiah basically being a unit, like messiah was more or less a direct continuation with the same characters and the two could almost have been wrapped into a single book

the third less so, then my god giant worm that rules the galaxy for thousands of years what

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

z0ratio fartboner posted:

god emperor was terrible terrible shite
a wise man once told me that it's never to soon to stop reading dune sequels

i've heard good things about the 'ciaphas cain' 40k novels, but that's because the author just decided to port the flashman novels into the 40k universe

on no account should anyone read the tie-in novels for the dawn of war videogames

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

if you ever find yourself reading a novel with a licenced ip you should look deep inside yourself and reconsider what you are doing with your life

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

if you ever find yourself reading a novel with a licenced ip you should look deep inside yourself and reconsider what you are doing with your life

i read a myst book once and ho boy was that terrible. i kept reading for terrible christian allegory but eventually i just had to give it up

otoh, timothy zahn did an alright job with the stars war, for the tween scifi conissuer :monocle:

anybody read a DOOM book?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

mormons out of nowhere.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

there's a couple eve online fictiony lore books out there

somehow one ended up in my local library, i have no idea how

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
so Scalzi's latest book is out, and it's supposed to be DRM free but I can't find a vendor that sells it that way

you know Apple, if there was an iBooks app for OS X I would buy it from you DRM or no.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i wonder which is more exciting reading about eve online or playing eve online

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

reading about people playing eve online

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i read an xcom book once. it was pretty bad

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

i read the doom comic book which is unironically amazing

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
and also endlessly quotable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qntm posted:

i read the doom comic book which is unironically amazing

I'm pretty sure that was written before ADD meds were commonly prescribed.

• Locked thread