Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
"Nerd Poker" is the exact term I've always used to describe D&D to the uninitiated. Sure, it's got magic spells and orcs, but it's not about that any more than poker is about finding cards with the same numbers on them. It's an excuse to get people together for a few hours. And I'm pretty excited at the prospect of who Earwolf might get together for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

Fil5000 posted:

I like that every time he's on Schwartz gets the piss taken out of him over Undercovers. It wasn't a terrible show from what little I saw, just very average... but I love that they haven't let up on him.

I also love that no one really knows anything about the show except there were 2 minority leads

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Ice Ben Schwartz still has a show

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Poopy Palpy posted:

"Nerd Poker" is the exact term I've always used to describe D&D to the uninitiated. Sure, it's got magic spells and orcs, but it's not about that any more than poker is about finding cards with the same numbers on them. It's an excuse to get people together for a few hours. And I'm pretty excited at the prospect of who Earwolf might get together for a few hours.

Magic: The Gathering is nerd poker :colbert:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nerd poker, like regular poker, has many forms of play.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Magic multiplayer blows rear end and pairing off for two-player games doesn't make for quality hangouts.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Edit oops wrong thread

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Here's another TV show article, from the LA Times this time:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/06/scott-aukerman-talks-about-bringing-comedy-bang-bang-to-ifc.html
Nothing too revelatory, but the picture is pretty great :allears:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Alright Tim Heidecker, you have no excuse to not be funny on this episode. This is your last chance!!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Alright Tim Heidecker, you have no excuse to not be funny on this episode. This is your last chance!!

I heard about 45 seconds and I turned it off. I'll try again later, but gently caress Tim Heidecker on everything but his own show (and even then it's pretty lovely a lot of the time)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I haven't listened to today's yet, but he and Eric Wareheim were pretty funny when they were on together and doing their popcorn.com shtick

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Haven't listened yet, but read the info. Am I correct to read that as a CBB episode every day until the show premiere? :dance:

"Comedy Bang! Bang! on IFC has been a long time coming and in less than a week you’ll be able to catch the premiere! To ease the pain of the wait, we’re bringing you a full week of Earwolf podcasts heralding the show’s arrival. I know it’s highly illogical, but we’ve brought in bandleader Reggie Watts and producer/guest Tim Heidecker to talk to two of the the interesting strangers who made their way from the podcast to the television show. Stay tuned to Earwolf all week to hear Scott, Reggie, and special guests like Will Forte and Dave Koechner preparing you for the premiere of Comedy Bang! Bang! on IFC. Tune into IFC this Friday at 10/9 central to see Zach Galifianakis, Gillian Jacobs, Thomas Lennon, Will Forte, and some guy named Andy Daly."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Scott and/or Reggie are going to be on an earwolf podcast every day this week.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

SpacePig posted:

I haven't listened to today's yet, but he and Eric Wareheim were pretty funny when they were on together and doing their popcorn.com shtick

The Popcorn.com thing was amazing. Also, the Irish Spring rant was also amazing, I still refer to myself as a "spring-dinger".

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009
The episode starts off really inaccessible even though they mentioned they'd probably get some first time listeners due to the TV show. The Heidecker segment starts off pretty meta but gets so over the top quick enough and actually gets hilarious.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm so glad Scott brought back the celebrity interview bit. I think the last time he did it was the Elvis Costello one like 2 years ago.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Poopy Palpy posted:

Scott and/or Reggie are going to be on an earwolf podcast every day this week.

I hope this mean we get Scott on Who Charted again

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Here's a trailer: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5152e4a5b7/first-look-ultimate-teaser-trailer

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Jesus, this chinese food is worse than auschwitz.

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009
Holy poo poo this episode is one of the best. That extended 'my wife' bit and the songs really made me lose it.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Probably the best Reggie Watts songs on the podcast ever.
I almost said Andy Daly was kind of a snooze on this one, but then I remembered the daycare bit. Don Dimello really needs a guest who will ask him a lot of questions, which is not Tim Heidecker's thing at all. I like Tim on the show and the Star Trek improv thing was really funny, just not a good fit with Don Dimello.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Deliberately throwing the brakes on a conversation is funny every so often but Tim seems to do it all the time on every podcast he's on. The Jenga thing (that he interrupted Jon Daly's introduction for) for example was just unrescuable.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

This was the first time I was able to guess the responses during Scotts celebrity interview. Also Barry R sounds way gayer nowadays.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

RandolphCarter posted:

This was the first time I was able to guess the responses during Scotts celebrity interview.

Even the Culture Club one?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Deliberately throwing the brakes on a conversation is funny every so often but Tim seems to do it all the time on every podcast he's on. The Jenga thing (that he interrupted Jon Daly's introduction for) for example was just unrescuable.

I hate this so much every time he does it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man I don't know what you guys were talking about Tim was hysterical. I am really looking forward to Ching Chong Matinee.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Man I don't know what you guys were talking about Tim was hysterical. I am really looking forward to Ching Chong Matinee.

Agreed. The Star Trek impersonations had me grinning like an idiot.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Highly illogical.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CBB tv thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488611. I probably hosed something up so be sure to yell at me.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I rescind all of m previous comments about this episode.

Andy daly cracking up the entire room was gold. Also Tim saying "I love that character"

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

You guys realize that Tim Heideker's whole thing is "anti-comedy", right? I mean, you don't have to LIKE it, I can definitely understand not liking it, but are people still seriously confused when he's awkward and ruins jokes? Have you not seen his stuff or heard him on the show enough to understand what he's doing?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Listen to how much everyone is listening to Tim Heidecker's Woody stories. It truly is hysterical how straight faced he is about shooting such an absurd film. When he, so earnestly, said "Jason is a great improvisor", I lost my poo poo.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I know exactly what he's doing and 95% of the time it sucks. Oh man, an unlistenable podcast, what a funny idea.

His stuff is often more interesting when you read about it versus actually experiencing it. I'm a smart, savvy comedy consumer. I'm in on the joke. But it doesn't make it any more tolerable

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

But yeah he was as good as I've ever heard him on the podcast today. And even he broke at the "president Clinton" thing

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

I know exactly what he's doing and 95% of the time it sucks. Oh man, an unlistenable podcast, what a funny idea.

His stuff is often more interesting when you read about it versus actually experiencing it. I'm a smart, savvy comedy consumer. I'm in on the joke. But it doesn't make it any more tolerable

See, I was laughing my head off at the whole thing. It wasn't just an amusing intellectual exercise. I find the 'big shot hollywood' type hilarious. I am not saying you are wrong or you don't get it, but I assure you that I am laughing at more than just the concept.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The moment Tim came on and I got what his gimmick was going to be, I skipped the rest of the episode. I get it, I just find it loving ruins everything it touches. Probably the same reason I can only tolerate Tim & Eric is 5 minute doses.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

CaptBushido posted:

You guys realize that Tim Heideker's whole thing is "anti-comedy", right? I mean, you don't have to LIKE it, I can definitely understand not liking it, but are people still seriously confused when he's awkward and ruins jokes? Have you not seen his stuff or heard him on the show enough to understand what he's doing?

Yes, everyone knows what he's doing. No one is confused here. The issue I have is that it's at odds with CBB's bread and butter, which is Scott pushing the conversation into stranger and stranger places by keeping the characters on their toes without breaking the flow of conversation/interrogation. Stopping the conversation makes it harder for the show to reach its "things get increasingly crazy" rhythm.

Tim DID do a good job of playing that game with the Ching Chong Matinee / Star Trek stuff, which I think everyone on Earth will agree turned out funnier than the Jenga interruption or the fake crying interruption or whatever else I forget he did

typing this much about comedy on a Tuesday morning, ugh, gently caress me

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Lamuella posted:

The moment Tim came on and I got what his gimmick was going to be, I skipped the rest of the episode. I get it, I just find it loving ruins everything it touches. Probably the same reason I can only tolerate Tim & Eric is 5 minute doses.

You made a mistake. I skipped to the beginning of the Woody story (like 20 minutes) and the rest of the episode is pretty amazing, if only because they're having a shitload of fun.

It's really worth it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The only time I really felt that Tim held the show back was that Jengo thing. I mean, the character isn't even introduced yet and your stepping on his toes already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Man if you skipped this episode you are seriously a dummy! I haven't laughed so hard at an episode since the "Poet Laureate of the West" stopped by. The whole Woody Allen story was so goddamned hilarious, but especially the part about how Jason Alexander would "do a Woody" so great that Woody Allen would just lose his poo poo and go bonkers.