Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
It seems to have gone away. My HDD replacement was simply from a 500 GB Western Digital to a 1TB Western Digital.

What I did was launch itunes in safe mode. It would go into "retrieving gapless playback info" and freeze on certain songs. I deleted the songs (Had to terminate itunes and delete the problem song, start again like 6 times) but it finished and seems good now. What a stupid pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Anyone know a free-quick-n-easy PC program for getting FLAC files into iTunes?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

I used to use Fre.ac, haven't used it in awhile though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

This lets you convert to ALAC, which freac apparently doesn't.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Truck Stop Stall posted:

I usually just decode the FLACs and then encode the WAVs with LAME.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Not sure if this should go in the iPhone thread or not, but here we go:

I've got all my devices set to download new purchases (Books, Apps and Music) automatically. This seems to be working OK. Except for when I purchase music on my iPhone. When I do this, the next time it syncs with iTunes it download duplicates of the songs I just purchased.

I think this is because I have automatic playlists syncing to my phone, one of with is music added to itunes in the last 30 days. It seems like it's bought on my phone, downloaded on my phone, downloaded to itunes, then synced back to the phone because it doesn't know it's already there.

What's the easiest way to combat this?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Truck Stop Stall posted:

I do it with XLD, which has an option to automatically add the resulting tracks into iTunes for you.

e: sorry, failed to read the "PC" bit :(

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

JamesOff posted:

I do it with XLD, which has an option to automatically add the resulting tracks into iTunes for you.

e: sorry, failed to read the "PC" bit :(

Wha really? I've been manually dragging like an idiot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could also always pick the destination to be the "~Add to iTunes" directory in your library as well. However I'm not sure if the file appears while it's converting, or after, or if that even matters.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Not exactly related to iTunes, but is there any way to send my girlfriend our itunes library (140gb) without actually sending her a portable harddrive in the mail?

I think that there are three problems and I'm pretty close to just doing the portable harddrive thing:
1. The first problem is the fact that it's nearly 30 000 files, somehow, and I don't want to compress it because then the music will sound terrible.
2. The second is the size, obviously. I can't find a free hosting solution for a 140gb file.
3. Even if I can solve 1. and 2., there's the problem of upload speed. My ISP seems to top out at .3mbps up. That means that a 140gb file will take about 324 days to upload, if my arts-degree math is at all correct and it holds top speed the whole time.

The other option is DVDs, but that's 29 DVDs I'd rather not meticulously burn, while somehow splitting the whole library perfectly into 29 4.7gb chunks, then paying shipping on a literal stack of DVDs.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone sent 140gb of data over the internet before?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

tuyop posted:

Am I missing something here? Has anyone sent 140gb of data over the internet before?

Just ship an external USB drive.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Uhhh you might be able to set up a private web server, set up a torrent tracker, and then use bittorrent to transfer it there. Not something I've done for about seven years unfortunately so I can't be of much help.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

tuyop posted:

Not exactly related to iTunes, but is there any way to send my girlfriend our itunes library (140gb) without actually sending her a portable harddrive in the mail?

I think that there are three problems and I'm pretty close to just doing the portable harddrive thing:
1. The first problem is the fact that it's nearly 30 000 files, somehow, and I don't want to compress it because then the music will sound terrible.
2. The second is the size, obviously. I can't find a free hosting solution for a 140gb file.
3. Even if I can solve 1. and 2., there's the problem of upload speed. My ISP seems to top out at .3mbps up. That means that a 140gb file will take about 324 days to upload, if my arts-degree math is at all correct and it holds top speed the whole time.

The other option is DVDs, but that's 29 DVDs I'd rather not meticulously burn, while somehow splitting the whole library perfectly into 29 4.7gb chunks, then paying shipping on a literal stack of DVDs.

Depending on how much of the 30,000 files are purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match may be your best option. As long as you keep the unpurchased-from-iTunes files below 25,000, you're able to use it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So I store everything on iTunes Match only, nothing locally. I'm having issues with random tracks in my library becoming unplayable forever until I delete them and re-add the local file. If I just try to the play the track, it gets skipped silently. If I try to download it I get this:

Usually it's just random tracks, but I had half of one album die all at the same time once for some reason. Edit: And it's happening with my iPhone too.

You're slipping, Tim :(

This problem is slowly eating away at my library so I might end up ditching Match soon.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
The iPhone is positively sluggish if you have iTunes Match on and want to play music, and then you run into streaming issues a lot. Kind of a mixed bag; not as good as I had hoped.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NOTinuyasha posted:

So I store everything on iTunes Match only, nothing locally. I'm having issues with random tracks in my library becoming unplayable forever until I delete them and re-add the local file. If I just try to the play the track, it gets skipped silently. If I try to download it I get this:

Usually it's just random tracks, but I had half of one album die all at the same time once for some reason. Edit: And it's happening with my iPhone too.

You're slipping, Tim :(

This problem is slowly eating away at my library so I might end up ditching Match soon.
This doesn't solve your problem but you might like to know you can hit Command-Shift-4, then press the spacebar and you can take slick screenshots of any individual window ;)

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

TACD posted:

This doesn't solve your problem but you might like to know you can hit Command-Shift-4, then press the spacebar and you can take slick screenshots of any individual window ;)

That's what I used...

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
iTunes 10.6.1.7, Win 7

iTunes insists on synching all of my movies (8) and TV Episodes (210) to my 32gb iPhone 4s, which then (suprise!) chokes on the 139gb overage. Un-checking "Sync TV Shows" and "Sync Movies" or any combination of settings allowing it to only synch say 3 or 6 episodes and 1 movies is useless because when I click "Apply" it undos all of my changes at trys to stuff 139gb of video into a 32gb device again!

It seems be related to iTunes re-checking the "Include Movies (or TV Shows) from Playlists -> Purchased" box.

Please help me tame iTunes!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Do you have those also in a playlist, and have the iPhone try to sync those playlists? I know for some of my shows/movies, they are in smart playlists, so even though the Movies and TV Shows Libraries are turned off, some of them will still attempt to go into my iPhone. Hell, I watch them from the "Music" app even.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I have an apple gift card and an itunes gift card and checking the balances on these is a loving pain in the rear end and I can't find where you do it (seems like you have to install itunes maybe?) so here are the codes for whatever lucky goon gets them first, assuming they even have a balance:

Apple gift card: 6050828711549121 / PIN: 02844659

iTunes gift card: 076750020310006044022604603600 PIN: XXSWTWS23CNZ5(MAYBE S?)RNM

Goongratulations!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about iOS 6, OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", new Macs, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the WWDC thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.
I just installed a SSD with a fresh copy of Windows 7. I downloaded iTunes again and of course it wants me to erase all my music to sync. I tried to check 'manage manually' but it still wants to erase all my music. Any good way to go about it?

I also am cleaning out a bunch of my music. In itunes, I picked the folder where all my music is (on another drive) and let it do its thing.

I realized I have a lot of music I longer want. In itunes, how do I delete the music from the hard drive?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

I realized I have a lot of music I longer want. In itunes, how do I delete the music from the hard drive?

If you've chosen to manually manage you must manually delete it.

edit: wait, you didn't manually do it? then just delete the song and it should prompt you to delete it.

fake-edit: I'm confused at what you've done.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

If you've chosen to manually manage you must manually delete it.

edit: wait, you didn't manually do it? then just delete the song and it should prompt you to delete it.

fake-edit: I'm confused at what you've done.

I want to delete songs forever. I don't just want them to not appear in the itunes library. If I press delete, it just deletes them from the library- I can still find the songs in windows explorer.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

helium muppet posted:

I want to delete songs forever. I don't just want them to not appear in the itunes library. If I press delete, it just deletes them from the library- I can still find the songs in windows explorer.

Try shift+del

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

Sounds like your songs are managed manually. Meaning you have to delete them manually.

Managed songs, upon deleting, ask if you also want to remove them from your hard drive completely.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Suniikaa posted:

Try shift+del

Didn't work. Ctrl-del doesn't work either.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Sounds like your songs are managed manually. Meaning you have to delete them manually.

Managed songs, upon deleting, ask if you also want to remove them from your hard drive completely.

I have the option checked to 'keep itunes media folder organized' if that's what you're talking about.

However, when I delete a podcast, it asks me if I want to move it to the recycle bin.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

I have the option checked to 'keep itunes media folder organized' if that's what you're talking about.

However, when I delete a podcast, it asks me if I want to move it to the recycle bin.

That's because Podcasts are managed by iTunes.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

That's because Podcasts are managed by iTunes.

How do I get itunes to manage my music?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

How do I get itunes to manage my music?

Since you just migrated.... delete everything from iTunes. Make sure that option to manage for you is checked, drag it into iTunes. Specify your folder on that other hard drive but iTunes is going to make a copy of the songs and shove them in that new folder. At which point you can delete the old one.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Since you just migrated.... delete everything from iTunes. Make sure that option to manage for you is checked, drag it into iTunes. Specify your folder on that other hard drive but iTunes is going to make a copy of the songs and shove them in that new folder. At which point you can delete the old one.

It's still not working.. I checked both of the boxes 'keep organized' and 'move new items to folder' I created a new folder and specified it.

After I added the folder to iTunes, it copied all the music to the new folder.

I wanted to test it out, so I clicked 'delete' on a song, and it just removed it from the library, it didn't give me the option to put it in the recycling bin.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

It's still not working.. I checked both of the boxes 'keep organized' and 'move new items to folder' I created a new folder and specified it.

After I added the folder to iTunes, it copied all the music to the new folder.

I wanted to test it out, so I clicked 'delete' on a song, and it just removed it from the library, it didn't give me the option to put it in the recycling bin.

In the properties of the song does it show in the iTunes organized folder or in the old folder from which you dragged into iTunes?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are you deleting the songs from the Library, or a playlist? Because if you just delete them while looking at a playlist, they're in the Library still. If you option delete a song from a playlist, then it will ask you to delete it from your computer as well.

Could be wrong about this, but who knows. I've not had this problem, and I have iTunes manage my library.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

I just upgraded to the newest version and tried again and it's working now. Thanks for all your help.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Ctrl-shift-del will delete a song from the playlist.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

helium muppet posted:

If I press delete, it just deletes them from the library- I can still find the songs in windows explorer.
For future info, it sounds likely that at some point you deleted a song from the library, told it not to move it to the recycle bin, and had the "don't ask me again" box checked. You can clear that preference by going to Edit - Preferences - Advanced tab, and clicking "Reset all warnings".

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I recently had a problem with a corrupted library file on my iTunes install and I fixed it by having iTunes reimport the old library file as a new one. The only problem is my iOS devices now recognize this as a different library despite everything being the same. In particular I'm worried about losing a bunch of my saved games from apps that don't support iCloud. Do I have any options? I'm running on windows if it matters.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Even if it recognizes it as a different library it shouldn't delete your apps. It's only media files like movies/music that it cares about. You should be able to run a backup from iTunes (or to iCloud) beforehand for peace of mind as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Even if it recognizes it as a different library it shouldn't delete your apps. It's only media files like movies/music that it cares about. You should be able to run a backup from iTunes (or to iCloud) beforehand for peace of mind as well.

I was checked the backup on iCloud and under the list of backups it only has a couple games on it and not any of the ones that I was worried about keeping (Chrono Trigger and Ghost Trick mostly). When I connect the phone to my computer to sync I have to recheck the Sync boxes and it says something to the effect of "All existing apps and their data on the iPhone will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library" which sounds like I'm going to lose everything.