Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hey guys I was wondering if there is some decent software (PC) for podcasting. Right now my friends and I use audacity, but I'd like to be able to play drops on the fly without going through speakers to be picked up my mic (if that makes sense). Also just looking for better control over things like recording a skype call on a different channel than my local mic. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'd like to be able to play drops on the fly without going through speakers to be picked up my mic (if that makes sense). Also just looking for better control over things like recording a skype call on a different channel than my local mic.

Are you talking about playing sounds directly into a Skype call so they're recorded as you do them? If you are I'll be honest it can be a real pain in the rear end if you're not using a mac, because there's no real native driver support in Windows for it.

On the off chance that this is what you mean and you are on Windows, here's my experience with that area...

There are programs like PrettyMay that allow you to play an mp3 into a skype call but I could never get it picked up on recordings or live streams for some reason, even when the people in the call could hear the audio. That aside, PrettyMay is just an awful piece of software that stops working every fifteen minutes in my experience, and the support for it is pretty poor. You could give it a go, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Another option is to get another computer or laptop with all the audio files that you want, put it in the Skype call with the microphone disabled & select your stereo mix as your Skype device (or have your microphone enabled and hook your line out to your line in if you don't have a sound card that supports stereo mix). This way any audio you play will be broadcast into the call as though it's coming from the microphone. It's reliable but the audio quality isn't generally very stable since the slightest fluctuation in connection speed warps the sound a bit.

All in all, the second option is your best bet if you have the second computer etc, but I couldn't stand the audio quality on it personally (although my internet is particularly bad so that's not to say it isn't much better for others).

As for recording a Skype call with different channels, if you're recording with SkypeMP3 Recorder then just set it to stereo and it'll split your microphone from the rest of the call by putting your microphone in the right ear and the rest in the left (or vice versa). After that you can split the tracks and either make them into mono tracks or create false stereo ones on both channels, however you like. If you're recording from another program then I'm not sure.

Hopefully something useful was in there for you.. somewhere.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
No, that was pretty much perfect. Thanks for all the tips I'm going to try out the two computers on the call this weekend for our next recording! Luckily my connection is pretty darn good so I hope to have no problems in that respect.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam
No worries, good luck sorting it out!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

uPQiSYQlgaG4iZ4uJqjq
MKQ1WO4FIsLlZmnUEjHN
TUaGfJqREelp7GSm9zcZ
2aT0votogX6zZASCgUAX
10TPsDNha1XHXAnkyvhK
WoCPLSW0llfq7VxiuKIF
li70tac30syHw6DTfXkp
4M7qjQIxk2vuNK5OoIlb
a6yIX1cf6SXNYZZVnWkq
nyMbbBu7oEwVQ1n7hwjx

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 28, 2023

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Recorded the first 'talking over movies' podcast earlier this week, it went pretty well. Did it with my usual 'casting partner to ease into it, and I have a few folks lined up who are happy to give it a go.

The hard part will be editing nearly 2 hours down to 30-45 minutes :smith:

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

Zero Gravitas posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent headset/microphone thats not too expensive? I wanted to try starting a screencast but the current microphone I have is terribly noisy and picks up everything going on in my house.

If it's under $50 your best bet is probably to go with any Platronics headset since they have half decent noise cancellation on them, and actually surprisingly decent microphone quality for the price. Uncomfortable as freck though. Yeah I just said freck, not sure what it means. If you can stretch beyond $50, you might as well look at condenser microphones. Samson C01U is somewhere in the region of $100 these days and is pretty stellar to be honest. Needs a pop filter though, or foam windshield (pop filters ~$10-15, windshield under $5).

krushgroove posted:

The hard part will be editing nearly 2 hours down to 30-45 minutes :smith:

I hear that man, one of the shows I do is live so plenty of little bits end up being cut. I edit it all with video as well so it's just delightful xD

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...
Any thoughts on this potential setup for 3-4 people?

M-Audio Fast Track C600

Audio Technica AT2020 Cardiod Condensor Studio Mic x3 (or 4)

I have small table stands and popscreens already, and I know I'll need XLR cables, but I don't know if I would need shockmounts. I'm sure I could go the route of trying to record without them and just see what happens. Coming from cheap USB mics to this is quite a jump, so I'd rather not leave anything out. :)

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

HelfMyselp posted:

Any thoughts on this potential setup for 3-4 people?

M-Audio Fast Track C600

Audio Technica AT2020 Cardiod Condensor Studio Mic x3 (or 4)

I have small table stands and popscreens already, and I know I'll need XLR cables, but I don't know if I would need shockmounts. I'm sure I could go the route of trying to record without them and just see what happens. Coming from cheap USB mics to this is quite a jump, so I'd rather not leave anything out. :)

Shock mounts really help if the mic is moving around or the table gets pounded on. If you're calm during your show you really don't need them. You should prefer to have them, but don't put it high on the priorities.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam
Another small thing to consider with shock mounts is how the microphone itself is actually mounted. Most basic tripods won't support the weight of a shock mount so they at least need a weighted stand or a boom arm. Might be an obvious one but nothing like waiting a few days for a piece of kit only to realise you need something else =P But yeah, I agree with above. Much movement going on, shock mounts help. Other than that they're really not essential, but something good to have for sure.

Salty Whiskey fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 5, 2012

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...
OK, thanks for the info. :)

Unfortunately, the dude I happen to record with each time is very Muppet-like with his limbs and strikes the table with annoying frequency. Duct tape will probably be the cheaper solution for the time being. ;)

I assume those microphones are OK? They seem to get good-to-great reviews for podcasting, and hell, anything is a step up from 2 Rock Band USB mics.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam
For sure, the microphones should be fine :)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Thought I'd share this fan letter I just got. Its pretty great.

http://creeashawn.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/i-3-lou-reads-the-internet-or-the-great-magnet-adventure/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
This above all else, shows you've made the big time, Lou!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Ha! Hardly. I've kind of hit a plateau listener-wise. I occasionally luck out and get a small windfall of listeners from a forum that finds out I read from it but few of those people stick around for long. The latest episode was VERY popular at opiophile. I lucked out that someone on r/Drugs told the forum about it. 1000 downloads in a weekend. Totally unusual.

I can't complain because I know I have sent out about 150 magnets to people all over the world and get a decent amount of emails from fans. I've shilled my podcast in a lot of ways but its completely hit or miss wether it sticks. I'd say the LEAST effective having an ad up at earwolf. I mean $30 for a banner here will at least get you hits a day versus $5 a month for 10 hits.... maybe (just checked. 9 hits from Earwolf per month).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well obviously this is inspiration for me to get the latest DP podcast (actually 2 recordings) edited :)

But next step for you is Fleshlight!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I wish something stupid like that would sponsor me. It would be too hilarious. Or maybe the Tea Party!

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam
Haha nice fan mail.

I've seen your show around since wayyyy back when, Lou. Only got off my lazy rear end to check it out recently, though; but I dig it!

With a shovel.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Mangrate!

Actually it would be funny to make up stupid products that supposedly sponsor a podcast. I'm sure some of the minds here could come up with silly poo poo like that. The Wine Bong: An aerator/decanter/speed delivery system for the finest French and Californian wines.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

This is my actual favorite recent comment from the My Tiny Dick reading that I did in loving 09. I know that forum found it way back then but I don't think this guy got the note.

quote:

Before you judge people on the internet, let me say that the internet was created to give people a voice and place to be themselves, do not judge people for what they have and have a look in the mirror for once.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

krushgroove posted:

Mangrate!

Actually it would be funny to make up stupid products that supposedly sponsor a podcast. I'm sure some of the minds here could come up with silly poo poo like that. The Wine Bong: An aerator/decanter/speed delivery system for the finest French and Californian wines.

I was recording some stuff as v/o practice and came up with a non-profit called The Fleshlight Rescue Project. You can have that one.

EDIT:

I see you mentioned Fleshlights about four posts up. Fate? :iiam:

titties fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 15, 2012

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

quote:

Before you judge people on the internet, let me say that the internet was created to give people a voice and place to be themselves, do not judge people for what they have and have a look in the mirror for once.

That guy should go talk to the Westboro Baptists, they have some pretty different ideas about why the internet was created. Oh wait no never mind, everyone does.

After a year or so my old podcast ground to a halt a couple of months ago. It had plateaued at 500-700 downloads a month for about half a year and I wasn't enjoying it anyway, although it wasn't my decision to end it. However, one door closes etc, and I started a new show about a month ago with another guy I know. So far I'm having a blast with it - more so than any podcast I've done in the past. We've hit triple figure downloads on all the episodes so far which I'm not used to with a new show with no guaranteed audience.

Anyway if anyone wants to check it out we're over at http://www.twoguysandthequeen.com - iTunes, Stitcher all that jazz. We mostly talk about weird crap we see in the news.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Hey guys. I have been having the worst technology luck lately. I don't think I've had a podcast session where I didn't lose at least 45 mins of recording to either hard drives failing or finder crashing or some weird mic poo poo.

I just got this mic back from Blue Mic about a month ago. Gave it a shot today on an hour long recording and got this about 40 seconds in.

That keeps happening as well as this really annoying audio popping where the audio just drops out.

They look like this

This is what they said about it

BlueMic posted:

There has been a few issues with the pro’s, the new pro’s will have a gain mod and a new driver. I can do the mod here in house to a pro and test the mic myself.
'

Thats all well and good but is this thing craps out again I'm asking for a refund. Blech.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
There's a connection that is loosening up, sounds like you're wiggling the cable around. I'm sure you're not, but you get the idea. It's in the mic. The problem is analog.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

WedgeRadio posted:

There's a connection that is loosening up, sounds like you're wiggling the cable around. I'm sure you're not, but you get the idea. It's in the mic. The problem is analog.

I was going to say the same thing. Frayed / loose wire maybe?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Its have the exact same problem with both of them. Like I said, they know its an issue with the Yeti Pro. I wish I could return it for credit so I could get a Shure SM7B... We'll see.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

King Lou posted:

Its have the exact same problem with both of them. Like I said, they know its an issue with the Yeti Pro.

Oh, right. Well that sucks... good luck getting credit!

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor, you could open it up and see if there's something to solder.

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

WedgeRadio posted:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor, you could open it up and see if there's something to solder.

Depends just how minimal the chances of being able to return are, I guess xD

The Scarlet Hot Dog
Jan 18, 2005

Trust me, everything will be fine.
http://www.awesome-robo.com/2012/05/awesome-robo-podcast-10-finally-arrives.html

Hey guys, just wanted to share our new video format podcast that we're trying on Youtube. Took a month to retool the format, got a better lens and will be investing in an even better mic soon. We're an international cast (2 goons) and we mainly discuss movies, art, videogames and other geekiness.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

q7jFD6xB81WAKC6ggP0y
Pv1y3rT0w22N79r3WIqr
IoMVsMst2TvjdQUwwbiU
zZbcUh5bfD8mK0uHkpY7
7EUM21w1wiFBWUCBeWaI
97h7SjcssfftXCp2xezq
3I7ijhhAajZsyDZR2NQP
yXjppsRyRl1xXDeNpvPh
aMSAqbfZfmaAXgpt0nfQ
jLrFuxDHXlqfFR6YKOij

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 28, 2023

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just noticed there's an entire subforum for podcasts now (I don't venture out of my control panel very often)... When the hell did that happen?

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.
Of the podcasters on here - how would I engage with you to be on your show if you're into sci-fi, geek, prepping, ocean issues or addiction and recovery? The short version is that I'm actively promoting my novel (https://www.flotillaonline.com) and my favorite thing to do is get on Skype or the phone and talk about it. I'm experienced with being on broadcast radio and I've been on the Adam Carolla Show - now I'd like to be on your show.

Would you guys be interested in having me as your guest? I'll meet with you day or night - scheduling is not an issue. Have a look at my media kit, if that helps:
https://www.flotillaonline.com/media-kit

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

OppositeOfLove posted:

Of the podcasters on here - how would I engage with you to be on your show if you're into sci-fi, geek, prepping, ocean issues or addiction and recovery? The short version is that I'm actively promoting my novel (https://www.flotillaonline.com) and my favorite thing to do is get on Skype or the phone and talk about it. I'm experienced with being on broadcast radio and I've been on the Adam Carolla Show - now I'd like to be on your show.

Would you guys be interested in having me as your guest? I'll meet with you day or night - scheduling is not an issue. Have a look at my media kit, if that helps:
https://www.flotillaonline.com/media-kit

poo poo, I'm down. Email me Wedge (at) WedgeRadio (dot) net

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is anyone having problems with their podcast episode listing updating on time in iTunes? I have 2 podcasts, Role Playing Public Radio and RPPR Actual Play. The latest episodes for both shows aren't showing up in the iTunes store, although people that manually update their subscriptions get them.

I emailed podcasts@apple.com and they replied:

"Hi Ross,

When I attempt to curl your feeds I'm receiving the following:
curl "http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/feed/podcast/"
??k?#Iv&?6???]?a͘Ȉ??]?????쩪,ffM?I??9?L\??4ZjE??]??{?H???RڥV+????Jf?\?'?????%+#??23????q?????|????f??-???Q?0?tݞ?
?y????|???_{???ʄ???;p?㷻'???????q??e??{????텶??ԅ{??$?k"l??z#ћ??~??Fp????????cz?=a
?g?.?;?????'??????>?_?O??ޟ:=????????a?{??]V:ŸM~U?^????n???@?V??Ń/??\?VW??IwGN|?=??/????????
Bn?76?~?'??
p?ڶ圳?'??8]<?k˞k
???8??V??=?%?B?"??0O??<?????????#??{?????GY??????????????????=v??9?K??z/?J?? -?????Y(J?l?W|?L?0?^k????
]X60???'/}?_??VN? ???]N?;???#?????O??W????
???Fwz????ܶ???`?Ð.??5lh??Wpm?]?1ùfj?ـ?D<?e?N???Y=?.?g?`???<?%???4:m?.̇ou}f[?=
???0ϖ?dgC?S??:????D@???)e/?٩
??'?7bl?.,3?=?X?i?v??+?+?׿?ggC?^??s???C{?zvD+3?ܺ,??-?ì>??!?p'???g???O?z?F?
&.,??Xn???
m?????f?C?0<??s?}???\'?X?4?V|???X?'. ?
9n|Q???2k⭳{M?ZS??v9m??Ћ??{???F?@?݁[?~<P??z?;?>?_8??W??~H\(Fܲyc???'????O?[x??#??t?g?k???I????zo?zh?뎧NrRR??????{?Y? ?]???N?)?s1?}?!%z?K??^??cX?ܟ?̼?z%&g?.+??|SK????K???^???I???{?ƾ??5lƙ@?%???????x?|????g]???>E#
?*.??????sK??&?
_?n?c ?Ar?-\.76?I???.?ڒ?~o?"u?%{a?m???8{? ؁~?7??a|ŎLj=?ѳ?)???vrR2???{???S??F?|??????Y???P(m?Bin$?&@????#?/

which tells me that the response of your web service is not in XML format.

We kindly recommend contacting you host server to have them take a look at and secure your feeds."

I then emailed a RPG Podcaster email group I'm on and I got this back:

"believe the reference to 'curl the feed' was the use of a command line HTTP client, cURL. It's a quick way to get the contents from an HTTP served resource, or just check the headers to make sure the HTTP server is working and the resource is available.

The following command works, but your server is serving the feed in a compressed format. So, to get it with cURL uncompressed, try the second form.

1) curl -#O http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/feed/podcast
2) curl -#O --compressed http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/feed/podcast

[Note the absence of the trailing backslash? That's necessary in this case.]"

I asked how to compress the feed and I got this answer:

"It depends on the type of web server and your level of access. If it's a shared server that only the web provider can administer, then you need to contact them for support.

That may not work for you, because your feed is generated dynamically. If you have an Apache web server, then you (or your provider) can put an ".htaccess" file in your primary directory that includes server directives, including a directive to NOT compress (or 'DEFLATE' as their documentation points out) files that end in "*.xml" or "*.rss" (as per this article on RSS). If that's done, then Apache would know not to compress that content but serve it uncompressed, which would allow it to include the content-length.

If your server is something else, like Microsoft's IIS, then the procedure is different but the effect is the same. Unfortunately, I'm no expert on Apache configuration directives but based on this documentation I believe you'd need something like this in your ".htaccess" file in your www/ directory:

RemoveOutputFilter xml rss"

I am not an expert webmaster. I use bluehost.com for hosting. I've opened a ticket with them but this is getting beyond me.

Help?

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

clockworkjoe posted:

Is anyone having problems with their podcast episode listing updating on time in iTunes? I have 2 podcasts, Role Playing Public Radio and RPPR Actual Play. The latest episodes for both shows aren't showing up in the iTunes store, although people that manually update their subscriptions get them.

Yeah, I've been having similar issues. Even after my RSS updates it's been taking about half a day for iTunes to recognize and list new episodes recently. As long as your RSS is updating though people should get new episodes (iTunes redirects to your RSS feed, no actual hosting. They just allow ratings/ease of presentation). Maybe it's just a high traffic time of year? Have new episodes shown up EVENTUALLY or not at all?

On a similar note, I have my own RSS problem.

When I first started my show (about half a year ago?) I went with using tumblr as an RSS front and feedburner for the podcast. The problem is, I didn't realize tumblr had a 20-item limit on their RSS feeds. That means only our 20 most recent episodes appear in iTunes at a time, with the oldest getting bumped off every time we put out a new episode.

Now, nearly 30 episodes in I've started to get complaints from new listeners about older episodes not appearing in iTunes. I've been redirecting them to the actual mp3 links on tumlbr, but now that I actually have time to address the problem, I'd like to fix it.

Does anyone know a way transfer from one rss host to another without completely losing episode ratings, etc? We have separate hosting for the files, we just need a new rss front. The best lead I've had so far is the Import Tumblr Posts option on wordpress, but I'm not sure if there's any easier way or if I'll wind up losing anything.

Here are links to the iTunes listing, feedburner, and tumblr host.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ninjas-vs.-podcast/id473562353
http://feeds.feedburner.com/nvppodcast
http://nvppodcast.tumblr.com/

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.

WedgeRadio posted:

poo poo, I'm down. Email me Wedge (at) WedgeRadio (dot) net

I posted on our Facebook page that I'll be on the show this Friday - be interesting to see what kind of traffic boost you get since I have a worldwide audience.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I just got my first press pass! Granted, its for a Star Wars convention (http://www.starwarscelebration.com/), and it provides no more access than a normal pass, but now I think I can say "I'm in the media*."

*In the same sense that a virus is alive.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Wow, great that this thread exists. I'm looking for software recommendations.

I've run a show/podcast through my University's "radio station" (used in the loosest sense of the word). I've really loved doing it and thought to spin it out to do it independently once I finish my masters.

In the studio I used Adobe Audition to record voice, add tracks, mix them together and normalize/fade etc. That was on a PC.

I know I could get the Adobe package for the Mac which I have at home but that is insane $$ for what is essentially going to be a hobby (I harbor no illusions of grandeur). What could I use that would do the same sorts of things? Essentially a few tracks, crossfade, normalization in the software, mixdown into mp3. Inputs from microphone as well as other sources. Nothing fancy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

Kaiho posted:

Wow, great that this thread exists. I'm looking for software recommendations.

I've run a show/podcast through my University's "radio station" (used in the loosest sense of the word). I've really loved doing it and thought to spin it out to do it independently once I finish my masters.

In the studio I used Adobe Audition to record voice, add tracks, mix them together and normalize/fade etc. That was on a PC.

I know I could get the Adobe package for the Mac which I have at home but that is insane $$ for what is essentially going to be a hobby (I harbor no illusions of grandeur). What could I use that would do the same sorts of things? Essentially a few tracks, crossfade, normalization in the software, mixdown into mp3. Inputs from microphone as well as other sources. Nothing fancy, right?

Audacity is free and lovely. I guess you could steal it, but that's illegal.