Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Its bitter sweet, when I die, if I get old enough its an issue, I want to choose how and when too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Urdnot Fire posted:

While I have no doubts it is an excellent documentary, that is an incredibly depressing title :smith:

Well, it's a depressing subject. They couldn't exactly call it Adventures At The Happy Sunshine Euthanasia Clinic, could they?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jedit posted:

Well, it's a depressing subject. They couldn't exactly call it Adventures At The Happy Sunshine Euthanasia Clinic, could they?

"Physician-Assisted Suicide: Why Not Make a Day of It?"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Ashendar posted:

Ive just watched this small documentary that Terry made, when he went on a quest to find an answer for himself, how he want to die.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slZnfC-V1SY

I just watched that documentary, and ohh boy was that good, but so hard to watch. I hope Pratchett goes out with dignity in the end at least.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Veskit posted:

I just watched that documentary, and ohh boy was that good, but so hard to watch. I hope Pratchett goes out with dignity in the end at least.

That's kind of how I want to go out. I don't want to be some 80 year old shell of man, crapping himself and barely able to speak but kept alive by machines. Why torture yourself AND your family like that?

Great deal of respect for Pratchett here.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

I don't want to be some 80 year old shell of man

Wouldn't you though, in a profession where most die really young?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

LooseChanj posted:

Why did you cut off the important parts of what I was saying? If I were 80 and still physically and mentally capable, it'd be a different story, but the likelihood of that isn't high.

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

That's kind of how I want to go out. I don't want to be some 80 year old shell of man, crapping himself and barely able to speak but kept alive by machines. Why torture yourself AND your family like that?
Important thing to understand is that its all about personal choice. If you can choose how to live your life, you should be able to choose how to end it as well.

Not all people can understand that, and i already had few heated arguments with friends on that topic, after watching that documentary. And they keep bringing religion into this.

I only hope Terry will be able to make his choice while he is able to do so.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

Why did you cut off the important parts of what I was saying?

That joke went sailing through the stratosphere I guess. :v:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

LooseChanj posted:

Most authors die really young?

Wait are you talking about Mister Roboto here? Is he a kickboxer?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

LooseChanj posted:

That joke went sailing through the stratosphere I guess. :v:

Yes, ha, I get the Cohen reference now, it was a bit TOO obscure.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Pratchett just picked up the PG Wodehouse prize.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DekeThornton posted:

Pratchett just picked up the PG Wodehouse prize.

And the prize was a pig called Snuff. It could hardly have been planned better :unsmith:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Iacen posted:

And the prize was a pig called Snuff. It could hardly have been planned better :unsmith:

They name the pig after the winning book. Nevertheless it does seem like a Lancre sort of prize.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
Just finished Making Money, finishing off my Discworld reading except for Snuff (which I'll probably wait for the paperback for just to match all my other books) and drat was that good. I used to think Vimes was my favorite character, later on I was pretty sure that Vetinari was actually my favorite character. Then I was thinking that Moist was going to be my favorite character.

Now I'm 100% positive that Vetinari is my favorite character. Was there ever a moment in any Discworld book where Vetinari ever actually directly harmed or ordered harm to anyone? He's just so drat subtle and gets stuff done, I would vote for him for Tyrant of America if I had the choice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He unintentionally gave Snapcase a heart attack.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

In the same book, he intentionally shoots the assassin at the Watch House.

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

Staggy posted:

He also joined the fight on Vimes side, at the last showdown with Cable street guys, in the alley. Thats why he is wearing lilac flower on that day.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think you mean Lord Winder.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I think you mean Lord Winder.

I always get the two mixed up. Crazy Despots sometimes really do mix together.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Unintentionally?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unintentional in that it wasn't the plan.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Staggy posted:

I guess I was referring to when he was actually Patrician. We don't usually see him follow through on actually harming people (save mimes)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dr Snofeld posted:

They name the pig after the winning book. Nevertheless it does seem like a Lancre sort of prize.

Oh, I know that. I just thought that Snuff was a good name for a piggy :3:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Doesn't he order Rusts assasination at the end of snuff?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Doesn't he order Rusts assasination at the end of snuff?

No, that was for Rust's slave-dealing son. Note that said son had appeared in Discworld lore before, too, in an earlier watch book. Vimes says he hates him because he shot a servant.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Did Pratchett age Lord Rust up to an elderly man for Snuff, or was he always that much older than Vimes? I had the impression he was closer to Vimes' age in previous books.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Leospeare posted:

Did Pratchett age Lord Rust up to an elderly man for Snuff, or was he always that much older than Vimes? I had the impression he was closer to Vimes' age in previous books.

I think Rust has always been a bit older than Vimes, being part of the "old boys aristocracy." I seem to recall him being in command of young teenage Vimes back in Night Watch, so that probably places him about 10 years or so older. Vimes is getting up there too, he's easily pushing 50.

Also remember the entire Discworld series has had about 20-25 years passed since the start; Guards! Guards! would be about 10-15 years in. So if Rust was already 50 by the time he was in Jingo, it's been a bit over 10 years since it's not unbelievable for him to start losing his facilities.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 4, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Leospeare posted:

Nope, he's always been older than Vimes, and Vimes is getting pretty old.

As Mister Roboto mentioned, Rust appears in Night Watch, and is significantly older than Vimes at that point. They don't mention ages, but I've been picturing Night Watch Young Vimes as 16 or 17, and Rust as around 30. I've been picturing Modern Vimes as in his mid 40s when Young Sam is born (he did marry pretty late, and it was a couple of years before the birth, wasn't it? And now Young Sam's 6, which puts Vimes in his early 50s.) If Rust is 13-14 years older than Vimes, he's in his mid 60s now. If he's only 10 years older, he's still past 60. Old enough to be in a wheelchair most of the time.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

AlphaDog posted:

Nope, he's always been older than Vimes, and Vimes is getting pretty old.

As Mister Roboto mentioned, Rust appears in Night Watch, and is significantly older than Vimes at that point. They don't mention ages, but I've been picturing Night Watch Young Vimes as 16 or 17, and Rust as around 30. I've been picturing Modern Vimes as in his mid 40s when Young Sam is born (he did marry pretty late, and it was a couple of years before the birth, wasn't it? And now Young Sam's 6, which puts Vimes in his early 50s.) If Rust is 13-14 years older than Vimes, he's in his mid 60s now. If he's only 10 years older, he's still past 60. Old enough to be in a wheelchair most of the time.

I'm pretty sure Rust Sr in night Watch is in his early 20s, if only because Sybil talks about him as a contemporary and says she dated him at some point and she's ~16 in NW. So I'd put Rust as maybe 5 years older than vimes/sybil at best.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mr. Moon posted:

I'm pretty sure Rust Sr in night Watch is in his early 20s, if only because Sybil talks about him as a contemporary and says she dated him at some point and she's ~16 in NW. So I'd put Rust as maybe 5 years older than vimes/sybil at best.

Eh, that actually doesn't really mean much. Old ruling classes are the perfect types to pair their young daughters to older rich men to keep the family politics strong. And even so, they didn't necessarily date during Night Watch, there's a good 20 years we don't see before Guards! Guards! When she refers to him as a contemporary it may just be class, not age. It's a minor detail, but Rust has a mustache when he's leading a squad in Night Watch, so we know he's definitely supposed to be "older".

Also, has it ever actually been SAID that Sybil is Vimes' age? She could easily be older.

Besides, Vimes is also showing signs of aging, too. There's been subtle hints that his heart's starting to go and he's running out of breath earlier these days. He's clearly past 50 and probably pushing 60, given the retirement talk.

To be honest, I expected Snuff to be Vimes' death story, or at least him facing his mortality now that he has a son to live for. I was a bit disappointed there when the "retirement" opening dialogue was really just a vacation.

All his running and fighting has likely kept him a bit more fit than Rust, who is specifically described to be a fat aristocrat type. Sybil is very, very strict with Vimes' diet, especially as they have the only good doctor in Ankh-Morpok watching over him.

And then there's just the fact some people age worse than others. Vimes may just be a bit luckier when it comes to aging, whereas Rust aged poorly and even if he's only 5 or so years older he's losing his facilities faster.

You must know people in your life who look 30 at 20, for example, due to their lifestyle and health.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 6, 2012

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, has it ever actually been SAID that Sybil is Vimes' age? She could easily be older.

Night Watch would contradict this, as Sybil is a teenager and Sam is in his teens or maybe early 20s (can't remember if it says exactly).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Leospeare posted:

Night Watch would contradict this, as Sybil is a teenager and Sam is in his teens or maybe early 20s (can't remember if it says exactly).

It's a bit vague, but I suppose since Vimes is a teenager at the time and Sybil is described pretty much the same way that they can be close or even the same.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Blame the History Monks.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mister Roboto posted:

It's a bit vague, but I suppose since Vimes is a teenager at the time and Sybil is described pretty much the same way that they can be close or even the same.

If Sybil were older, she probably would have been too old to have Young Sam.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought both Sam and Sybil were about 35 or 40 in Guards, Guards!

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 7, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

John Dough posted:

If Sybil were older, she probably would have been too old to have Young Sam.

Actually, it's specifically said that she IS a bit old to be safely having kids in Night Watch.

40 or 45 in Guards! Guards! sounds right, and about 5 years later she has young Sam, and about 5 years later we have Snuff.

That would fit just fine with Rust being around 10 years older than them, being about 60-65.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Mister Roboto posted:

Actually, it's specifically said that she IS a bit old to be safely having kids in Night Watch.

40 or 45 in Guards! Guards! sounds right, and about 5 years later she has young Sam, and about 5 years later we have Snuff.

Even with modern health care, 50 is really old to be having your first child. In Ankh-Morpork it really doesn't even bear thinking on.

But yeah, I just handwave it all away with History Monks.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

wheatpuppy posted:

Even with modern health care, 50 is really old to be having your first child. In Ankh-Morpork it really doesn't even bear thinking on.

Well, two things.

1. Night Watch takes place 30 years ago. The youngest new-recruit-Vimes (and Sybil, assuming they're the same age) could possibly be is about 14. Rust being 10 years older would fit him being some rich aristocrat's boy being handed his own command (in his 20s) to play with.

You can look at Nobby, too, who's always been written as a few years younger than Vimes and Colon, and he's a typical London street urchin that acts about 9-10. Too young to be a soldier but old enough to be a streetrat.

This pretty much confirms that Vimes and Sybil had their kid in the late 40s at least.

2. Dr. Lawn is very, very specifically singled out as the only doctor who DOES save lives in Ankh-Morpork (the rest are all snake oil salesmen or use prayer/guessing). The first time Vimes meets him (in the past) he's developing childbirth tools that are pretty alien at the time. Makes sense that 30 years later he'd have perfected them and Vimes is willing to run naked through A-M streets to find him. Later books have Lawn as a very rich and well-respected name for his talent. So him having the unique skills for an older childbirth fits the Discworld's development.

So yeah, we don't need History Monks for Sybil or for Rust's age, they fit and don't contradict the timeline.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

In addition to Roboto's comments, Sybil is a Ramkin and they are famous for being 'bred for breeding'. If Ramkin women are better than average at being pregnant*, they can probably pull it off at a later age than other women can.

* in whatever way you can be 'better at pregnant', how the hell should I know, I'm a guy. I understand hip size is involved but the details are unclear.