Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

donquixotic posted:

An Australian home invasion film, very reminiscent of Badlands in that there's a young couple terrorising people in much the same way, the girl is essentially innocent and the young man is a psychopath. The thing that should stand out is the fact the man was referred to in a review I read at the time as a young Brad Pitt, he did look alike and the voice I seem to remember was similar. Definitely Australian, within the last 10 years but beyond that I couldn't say anything more. Have tried googling this and no luck at all.

Well there was Kalifornia which is very similar to Badlands and stars the real Brad Pitt in his early 20s but it's not Australian. Maybe Kiss or Kill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Bearnt! posted:

Well there was Kalifornia which is very similar to Badlands and stars the real Brad Pitt in his early 20s but it's not Australian. Maybe Kiss or Kill?

Nope wasn't Kiss or Kill, though when I looked that up on imdb I checked a list of recommended Aussie thrillers and found Restraint with Travis Fimmel who everyone insists is a Brad Pitt wannabe. Thanks for the suggestion, wouldn't have found it otherwise.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Reive posted:

It definitely wasn't Repo Man, there was no humor to it, that and it was a major plot point, I doubt it was They Live either but that one comes closer in that these things are being disguised by something, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't aliens.

It had a serious tone that felt like something out of The Twilight Zone, but I distinctly remember it being a movie.

Sounds like it might be a TV movie called Virtual Nightmare.

Its CRAZY LEGS!
May 30, 2007
aka. tweak
This is a stretch but I'll go for it. I have been trying to figure this out forever.

This is an animated movie from my childhood, I'm guessing I owned it on vhs. I have no idea about the length. It could have been anything from a 10 minute short to feature length.

What I remember: This movie is set in the winter and is somewhat christmas themed. I have this vague feeling that the plot centered around a boy who loses a nut crackeresque toy soldier. One of my only specific memories is that the toy ends up in a stream (or some kind of water maybe in a sewer) and floats away somehwere.

As I recall, the style of the movie was almost stop motion ish. It was like normal animation but much fewer frames so it moved more slowly. I could be off but thats my memory. I also remember it being really heavy on blue and cool colors.

I probably last watched this at the latest in 5th grade which puts a release date of 1995 or earlier. Its quite possibly from the 80's or maybe even the 70's .

My last clue is that the song "grey ice water" by Modest Mouse really reminds me of the theme music from movie.http://www.youtube.com/watch.

Obviously, the song in the movie was a bit less experimental and had no words in the movie but the background music really reminds me of it.

I would be forever indebted if anyone could figure it out for me. I have been thinking about this for years.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Most likely 'The Steadfast Tin Soldier'. I'd link it for you, but I'm on my phone.

Edit: should add that there have been several adaptations of this story. The one I'm familiar with is from Fantasia 2000.

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 15, 2012

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What's the name of that french movie where the director strapped a camera to his car and raced through Paris?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

midnightclimax posted:

What's the name of that french movie where the director strapped a camera to his car and raced through Paris?

Rendezvous

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

caiman posted:

Rendezvous

Woah 76'? Thought it was way earlier. Merci quand même.

Jamacian_Accent
May 2, 2009

raas claat
I looked through about 60 pages and I didn't see it. I gotta figure this out though, its driving me nuts.

What I remember:
It was in color.

A scientist has all these ants in an open glass box. He feeds them, floods them, all this stuff, I forget why. The basic concept is that he's playing God. The ants start worshipping him and getting smarter. Scientist gets obsessed with the ants. Eventually theres a scene where the ants build a mound that looks like his face. Scientist goes crazy and just starts wailing on the mound with a shovel. I think the ants swarm and kill him.

Might have been a Tales from the Crypt episode, maybe Outer Limits?? I really cant remember or find anything. Its driving my whole family nuts because we all remember it. We all especially remember the scene where the ants build the mound to look like the scientist.

When I saw It: When I was a kid, so early 90's. Maybe 1995? Its hard to remember. The movie itself I think was from the 80s.

Where?: TV

What I know it I'snt: Them!
Pretty sure it isn't Phase IV either. I can't find that scene with the ant mound to prove it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jamacian_Accent posted:

I looked through about 60 pages and I didn't see it. I gotta figure this out though, its driving me nuts.

What I remember:
It was in color.

A scientist has all these ants in an open glass box. He feeds them, floods them, all this stuff, I forget why. The basic concept is that he's playing God. The ants start worshipping him and getting smarter. Scientist gets obsessed with the ants. Eventually theres a scene where the ants build a mound that looks like his face. Scientist goes crazy and just starts wailing on the mound with a shovel. I think the ants swarm and kill him.

Might have been a Tales from the Crypt episode, maybe Outer Limits?? I really cant remember or find anything. Its driving my whole family nuts because we all remember it. We all especially remember the scene where the ants build the mound to look like the scientist.

When I saw It: When I was a kid, so early 90's. Maybe 1995? Its hard to remember. The movie itself I think was from the 80s.

Pretty sure it isn't Phase IV either. I can't find that scene with the ant mound to prove it.
Sandkings.

vvv You snooze, you lose! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 20, 2012

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jamacian_Accent posted:

What I remember:
It was in color.

Sandkings

E:^ son of a bitch!

Jamacian_Accent
May 2, 2009

raas claat

Runcible Cat posted:

Sandkings.

AAH!!! That's it! That's loving it! You have no idea, you've solved like a family mystery. I ran in there to tell the parents and we just cheered. We're trying to find it on Netflix/Hulu now.

Its like remembering a word on the tip of your tongue.

Its probably gonna suck watching it after all these years of not being able to find it, but who cares!

Thanks so much.

Jamacian_Accent fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 19, 2012

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Jamacian_Accent posted:

Its probably gonna suck watching it after all these years of not being able to find it, but who cares!

Thanks so much.

Quick derail, but you should check out the excellent short story it's based on, if you haven't already.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Some french movie from the 80s? A man who blames a doctor for his wifes death and lures him into the desert to kill him. At one point they have to cross a ravine in an open cable car.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

taser rates posted:

Quick derail, but you should check out the excellent short story it's based on, if you haven't already.
Which is written by none other than George R. R. Martin of Game of Thrones fame!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

taser rates posted:

Yeah. I didn't know Sandkings was ever made into a film, but I read the story when it was originally published in some magazine a billion years ago. Creepy and awesome. I did find a copy of it online somewhere a while ago but I don't remember where.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Somewhere between a a month and a few months ago I saw a trailer for a film. I really wanted to see it. The problem is my memory is terrible and I have forgotten almost everything about it.

It had a lot of bright colours I remember that, big stripes of colour and strange environments. I think the story was patients for something are injected with... something... and they live in some alternative reality. That is where all the nice colour is. This contrasts with shots of the patients in decrepit and filthy environments. There is one shot of a woman either looking down or hanging on the edge of a really deep shaft. Some old dude is something to do with the company/administration.

If somebody knows what I am talking about in this hazy memory, I will be amazed. Oh... and I think it was a 2012 release. Could possibly not be released yet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Achtung! Panzer posted:

Somewhere between a a month and a few months ago I saw a trailer for a film. I really wanted to see it. The problem is my memory is terrible and I have forgotten almost everything about it.

It had a lot of bright colours I remember that, big stripes of colour and strange environments. I think the story was patients for something are injected with... something... and they live in some alternative reality. That is where all the nice colour is. This contrasts with shots of the patients in decrepit and filthy environments. There is one shot of a woman either looking down or hanging on the edge of a really deep shaft. Some old dude is something to do with the company/administration.

If somebody knows what I am talking about in this hazy memory, I will be amazed. Oh... and I think it was a 2012 release. Could possibly not be released yet.

Beyond the Black Rainbow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ertVYn750

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
That is it, thanks! Guess I didn't invent too much of that memory with my imagination. :D

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Help! This movie name has eluded me for years, and even my strongest Google Fu has produced nothing.

I saw this movie on DVD (I think through a now ex-boyfriend's Netflix) about... 6 years ago.

There are Chinese or Japanese language parts that have subtitles, but the other actors speak in English. The plot loosely follows a young Asian tourist couple on their trip to Memphis to see the Graceland Elvis museum. The overall narrative has to do with some crazy stuff that happen in the area, I think within the same hotel as the couple, which culminate in a man getting shot. The movie moves along very slowly and deliberately.

Any ideas?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

amishsexpot posted:

Help! This movie name has eluded me for years, and even my strongest Google Fu has produced nothing.

I saw this movie on DVD (I think through a now ex-boyfriend's Netflix) about... 6 years ago.

There are Chinese or Japanese language parts that have subtitles, but the other actors speak in English. The plot loosely follows a young Asian tourist couple on their trip to Memphis to see the Graceland Elvis museum. The overall narrative has to do with some crazy stuff that happen in the area, I think within the same hotel as the couple, which culminate in a man getting shot. The movie moves along very slowly and deliberately.

Any ideas?

Mystery train? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097940/

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Marry me. :swoon:

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
This is one of those movies that you vaguely remember from your childhood but it's entirely possible you made them up/dreamed them. I would have seen it sometime in the early to mid-90s and I remember it looking modern, or at least not obviously dated. It took place in the rural deep south before the Civil Rights Movement, all of the characters, or at least all the main characters, were African-American. I remember a scene of two young boys walking through a field and encountering a rabid fox, the older boy holds the younger one back and warns him to stay away because it's a "poison fox" with a "bite worse than a snake." I distinctly remember those two phrases because the scene gave me nightmares, which is where the thought that I possibly just dreamed the movie comes in. I'm pretty sure later in the movie one of the kids is actually bitten by the fox and gets rabies but I could be wrong on that one. Any ideas?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

stereobreadsticks posted:

This is one of those movies that you vaguely remember from your childhood but it's entirely possible you made them up/dreamed them. I would have seen it sometime in the early to mid-90s and I remember it looking modern, or at least not obviously dated. It took place in the rural deep south before the Civil Rights Movement, all of the characters, or at least all the main characters, were African-American. I remember a scene of two young boys walking through a field and encountering a rabid fox, the older boy holds the younger one back and warns him to stay away because it's a "poison fox" with a "bite worse than a snake." I distinctly remember those two phrases because the scene gave me nightmares, which is where the thought that I possibly just dreamed the movie comes in. I'm pretty sure later in the movie one of the kids is actually bitten by the fox and gets rabies but I could be wrong on that one. Any ideas?

Could be a skewed memory of Paris Trout.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Imasalmon posted:

Could be a skewed memory of Paris Trout.

I just watched the trailer on youtube and it certainly looks familiar. If there's a scene with a child referring to a rabid fox as a poison fox I would say that's it.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

stereobreadsticks posted:

I just watched the trailer on youtube and it certainly looks familiar. If there's a scene with a child referring to a rabid fox as a poison fox I would say that's it.

It stats with a little girl getting bit by a rabid fox, in georgia before 1950. I don't specifically recall the lines you mention, but I haven't seen that movie in 20 years, so I am not positive. I know it wouldn't have been out of place, though.

Give it a shot if you can find it. It would be an early scene, I think.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks, that sounds exactly like what I remember. I've seriously been trying to figure out what this movie is for at least ten years now. I'll try to track a copy down.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I saw a film a long time ago, and only have vague memories of it.

The film is most likely a historical drama, as it is set in some kind of feudal era Japan. At one point a woman is sat in a chair and has sticks broken over her shins as punishment for some crime.

There are a few scenes where we see a man in robes on a stage singing a dirge like song, I assume some traditional Japanese style of singing. Its very funereal, almost moaning and drunken sounding, but delivered seriously and sober.

If I am not mistaken, at one point we see this man onstage singing, but the camera reveals it is a "modern" theatre, with a sparse audience, and it not the time period the rest of the film is set.

That is all I have and I'd really like to know more about this singing.

Thanks for any help.

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 25, 2012

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I was reminded of a movie I saw years ago last night and can't figure out what it could be.

I think the title is the name of the main character. The movie starts out with the main character (female, I believe she wears glasses, musical instrument player, likes making Rube Goldberg-type inventions) yelling in a closed bedroom because she just found out she is adopted. To prevent her parents from coming in, she rigged a shotgun to go off when someone opened the door.

The movie I think was centered around her finding her biological parents along with her best male friend who was probably a romantic interest. She ends up finding her biological parents, and they are both music players too. I think she just stares at them from the bushes outside of their house and doesn't actually meet them.

I think it was made in the early 90's, but it might be late 80's instead.
Much thanks!

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 25, 2012

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Fire Storm posted:

I was reminded of a movie I saw years ago last night and can't figure out what it could be.

I think the title is the name of the main character. The movie starts out with the main character (female, I believe she wears glasses, musical instrument player, likes making Rube Goldberg-type inventions) yelling in a closed bedroom because she just found out she is adopted. To prevent her parents from coming in, she rigged a shotgun to go off when someone opened the door.

The movie I think was centered around her finding her biological parents along with her best male friend who was probably a romantic interest. She ends up finding her biological parents, and they are both music players too. I think she just stares at them from the bushes outside of their house and doesn't actually meet them.

I think it was made in the early 90's, but it might be late 80's instead.

Samantha

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Beef Darts posted:

I saw a film a long time ago, and only have vague memories of it.

The film is most likely a historical drama, as it is set in some kind of feudal era Japan. At one point a woman is sat in a chair and has sticks broken over her shins as punishment for some crime.

There are a few scenes where we see a man in robes on a stage singing a dirge like song, I assume some traditional Japanese style of singing. Its very funereal, almost moaning and drunken sounding, but delivered seriously and sober.

If I am not mistaken, at one point we see this man onstage singing, but the camera reveals it is a "modern" theatre, with a sparse audience, and it not the time period the rest of the film is set.

That is all I have and I'd really like to know more about this singing.

Thanks for any help.

Not sure how much it helps, but could you be referring to Throat Singing?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...auznESzTxF1CMow

Kind of sounds like what you are looking for. If you look at the youtube results you can't hear the sound unless you go into 240p quality

HTH

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CzarChasm posted:

Not sure how much it helps, but could you be referring to Throat Singing?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...auznESzTxF1CMow

Kind of sounds like what you are looking for. If you look at the youtube results you can't hear the sound unless you go into 240p quality

HTH

Thank you, but its seems the Japanese version of throat singing was only practiced by female singers, the person in this film was male. Also it wasnt so technical vocally as throat singing, more drunken wailing and moaning, really strange.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Beef Darts posted:

Ikiru has a scene of that style of singing - a man is depressed over his impending death. The whole film is in modern times, though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've got one from a friend, I haven't seen this myself.

A middle-aged mom color-codes a bunch of meals for an adult-age person (early 20s by their estimation) and she goes over different colors meaning different things, specifically that "Blue means beef" and "Purple means pork, and it might be sort of confusing since pink could mean pork, but purple means pork"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey, this was a preview on a DVD I saw but I can't remember which DVD and its driving me crazy. In the preview, there is a man with a wife and child who puts all his money into a storm shelter creating a rift between him and his neighbors because he's getting visions or messages or something. The movie looked like it had some religious/supernatural parts to it and I remember a tornado or a tornado of birds in the shot. It was a newer movie like last 2 years or so I believe. Any help?

e:awesome thanks penismightier

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 6, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

oldpainless posted:

Hey, this was a preview on a DVD I saw but I can't remember which DVD and its driving me crazy. In the preview, there is a man with a wife and child who puts all his money into a storm shelter creating a rift between him and his neighbors because he's getting visions or messages or something. The movie looked like it had some religious/supernatural parts to it and I remember a tornado or a tornado of birds in the shot. It was a newer movie like last 2 years or so I believe. Any help?

Take Shelter

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
This information is going to be horrible and useless I bet, but...

I remember someone showing me a movie where, from what I remember, it was set in the future/sort of modern times. We had lost WWII but we're basically stuck in the 50's in terms of culture and technology. At some point, the people decide you know what, these Nazis aren't very nice people, and rise up and start killing them.

I can't remember any other details, I can't even remember who was super obsessed with the movie and made me watch it, because then I could just ask them.

edit: Note that there may have not been Nazis. I am really fuzzy on all the details ugh

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 6, 2012

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

This information is going to be horrible and useless I bet, but...

I remember someone showing me a movie where, from what I remember, it was set in the future/sort of modern times. We had lost WWII but we're basically stuck in the 50's in terms of culture and technology. At some point, the people decide you know what, these Nazis aren't very nice people, and rise up and start killing them.

I can't remember any other details, I can't even remember who was super obsessed with the movie and made me watch it, because then I could just ask them.

edit: Note that there may have not been Nazis. I am really fuzzy on all the details ugh

It sounds a hell of a lot like the novel Fatherland. It appears that was made into a movie, so it could be that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

SneakySneaks posted:

It sounds a hell of a lot like the novel Fatherland. It appears that was made into a movie, so it could be that.

I thought it might be, but this had more action and wasn't as serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Here's a movie I remember a single scene in and nothing else. A man uses a belt to strap a cat to some sort of scenery, and while discussing the matter with those around he charges the cat headbutting it (and presumably killing the cat). I believe it was a comedy but I could be wrong. I've been 100% unsuccessful in finding this scene, which I think I originally saw on youtube.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 6, 2012