Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

At a guess, never, because one of the devs is rabidly opposed to changes that will make the game more accessible or easier to play but everyone's generally cool with purely cosmetic upgrades.

To be fair, I haven't seen this guy opine on framerates, but this is his take on making mouselook less poo poo:

Yes, he realizes that mouselook in A1 is "beyond awful" (his words), but that makes it harder for people who aren't already Marathon fans to play it and he likes it that way.

He's said similar things about the possibility of letting the renderer use r-pitch rather than s-pitch so that it's less nausea-inducing, and uncapping pitch so that the player can look more than 30 degrees up or down. (There are also technical obstacles to all of these changes, but those are surmountable - if you're willing to fork A1 and make your own version, because he's repeatedly stated he'll veto any patches adding such features.)

Given this, I'm guessing that removing the FPS lock would fall into the same category: no-one wants to tackle the (admittedly hairy) technical problems, because they know that doing so will just result in one of the project owners making GBS threads all over them.

That's too bad. I love the Marathon games, but its getting harder and harder to play them with their current FPS and mouse controls. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

Given this, I'm guessing that removing the FPS lock would fall into the same category: no-one wants to tackle the (admittedly hairy) technical problems, because they know that doing so will just result in one of the project owners making GBS threads all over them.

Basically Treellama's philosophy is, "I don't want to make any dramatic changes so anything significant should be forked into its own project."

Which is a much more viable option when the community is larger than 50 people.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The 7 Day FPS Challenge begins on Saturday! Watch in awe as a horde of (usually Nordic) dudes make shooters in a week, and then... play them I guess.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Have there been any good Skulltag invasion level packs released in the past 6-9 months? I recall that there were quite a few in the works, but many stalled out or got sank by drama. Not seen much good since Armageddon Invasion and Alpha/Delta.
Yeah I'm really hoping there's one out soon; none of the other multiplayer mods really have the same feel as those two (Shotgun Invasion comes close but suffers from balance problems; that and I've played those maps to death as well)

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Some preliminary experimental lua-based lighting going on in Aleph One.

Very cool!

Also, I know this isn't necessarily about an old FPS game, but here is an awesome interview with John Carmack so I figured I should show it. I love listening to him. So much passion. :allears: http://www.giantbomb.com/e3-2012-john-carmack-interview/17-6164/

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RyokoTK posted:

Basically Treellama's philosophy is, "I don't want to make any dramatic changes so anything significant should be forked into its own project."

Which is a much more viable option when the community is larger than 50 people.

So then why doesn't the entire dev team except that idiot fork off a new branch that fixes stupid things the guy doesn't want to deal with? Because I'd love to play Marathon but the controls are just impossible to deal with as is.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Kazvall posted:

People still play this, and they will gently caress your rear end so hard you'll think you're doing the loving. Also, weirdly enough the RP servers still have people.

Hahah, wow. I thought most of them moved to Garry's Mod by now.

A lot of the people were pretty chill, even the guys who'd demolish your rear end if you got within range.

Also, while we're on the topic of Marathon: is there a DooM port? And is the UT99 remake any good?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Have there been any good Skulltag invasion level packs released in the past 6-9 months? I recall that there were quite a few in the works, but many stalled out or got sank by drama. Not seen much good since Armageddon Invasion and Alpha/Delta.

There was a Heretic one that was pretty fun even in half-finished form, but I think it stalled out too. Pretty disappointing, as I really, really love Invasion.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

A lot of the people were pretty chill, even the guys who'd demolish your rear end if you got within range.

Also, while we're on the topic of Marathon: is there a DooM port? And is the UT99 remake any good?

The Marathon engine does a bunch of stuff like room-within-room ("5D Space") and swimming that you can't replicate in Doom, even with gzDoom's added features, so I'm guessing not.

I had no idea there was a UT99 remake, though, and the Unreal engine can do those things.

E: I've still got my Totally Unreal discs and Marathon: Resurrection claims to be complete (although it's only remaking M1, not M2 or Mi). I may download this and give it a shot.

vvv You've never tried looking up and down in Marathon and gzDoom? Or tried mouselook in both?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 6, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Because I'd love to play Marathon but the controls are just impossible to deal with as is.

I've never seen a difference between Doom controls and Marathon controls.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

There's a Marathon wad for Zdoom but it's just an enemy/weapon replacer;
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27563

It's been a while since I played the UT remake but I remember having fun with it!
http://resurrection.bungie.org/index.html

There's also Marathon Rampancy for UT, which isn't a remake of Marathon but brings over Marathon weapons and maps. Also fun!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/marathonrampancy

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
The UT Marathon remake's problem is that it isn't finished and probably never will be at this point. All the levels are there and mostly faithfully remade, but a lot of the AI is completely different, which results in certain enemies being really under/overpowered (some hitscan enemies in particular are pretty ridiculous), and it has major issues like the penultimate level being literally impossible to finish without cheats/exploits due to the ledges at the end not being set-up properly. If you've already played through Marathon seeing some of the changes can be interesting, but, as it is, I can't really recommend it to newcomers.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Mman posted:

some hitscan enemies in particular are pretty ridiculous

Hitscan is not a thing that belongs in Marathon.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Hitscan is not a thing that belongs in Marathon.
drat straight. 1024 velocity invisible projectiles 'til I die.

I still occasionally catch myself using the Marathon "Δ damage" system to describe weapons in modern games. Like, instead of "This gun does between eighty and one hundred thirty damage" it's "This gun does eighty-delta-fifty damage"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So then why doesn't the entire dev team except that idiot fork off a new branch that fixes stupid things the guy doesn't want to deal with? Because I'd love to play Marathon but the controls are just impossible to deal with as is.

Because Treellama represents about half of the dev team at this point, and the other guy (Hopper) generally focuses on coding in graphics features.

swolf
Aug 25, 2004
i need instructions on how to rock

Komoxdos posted:

There's a Marathon wad for Zdoom but it's just an enemy/weapon replacer;
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27563

It's been a while since I played the UT remake but I remember having fun with it!
http://resurrection.bungie.org/index.html

There's also Marathon Rampancy for UT, which isn't a remake of Marathon but brings over Marathon weapons and maps. Also fun!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/marathonrampancy

There is also a multiplayer only Half-Life 1 mod called Rampancy, that you can download here, but I make no guarantees how well it plays with the "modern" half life engine. I think we finished it while HL was still on won.net, so there may be some (a lot of) problems. I am pretty sure it will at least let you load maps and run around in them, shooting Marathon guns, though.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I have a question for you guys. If someone becomes skilled in being a level designer in Doom...as in really well made level architecture and design (enemy, powerup placement, etc)...can they transition these skills into making levels for more modern games like Half Life 2 provided that they learn how to use the new editor?

I know with Doom level design is more simplified since it's different sector levels as opposed to full 3D editing, but can a really competent Doom level designer learn how to design levels in a full 3D editor like Hammer?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Manboy No 5 posted:

A wad designed for vanilla monster and item behaviour on UV

with Brutal Doom

on I'm Too Young to Die

For the record, I wanted to say that this post is brilliant.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

iceaim posted:

I have a question for you guys. If someone becomes skilled in being a level designer in Doom...as in really well made level architecture and design (enemy, powerup placement, etc)...can they transition these skills into making levels for more modern games like Half Life 2 provided that they learn how to use the new editor?

I know with Doom level design is more simplified since it's different sector levels as opposed to full 3D editing, but can a really competent Doom level designer learn how to design levels in a full 3D editor like Hammer?

Design knowledge in level editing is at least as important as technical knowledge; if you can make an awesome level in a game like Doom it's likely you already have most of the knowledge needed to make an awesome level on a newer engine (at least for an FPS). Even technically quite a bit can carry over; a lot of the general principles of good visual design are relatively similar between games, even though the implementation on newer engines is mostly much more time consuming and complex.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mman posted:

Design knowledge in level editing is at least as important as technical knowledge; if you can make an awesome level in a game like Doom it's likely you already have most of the knowledge needed to make an awesome level on a newer engine (at least for an FPS). Even technically quite a bit can carry over; a lot of the general principles of good visual design are relatively similar between games, even though the implementation on newer engines is mostly much more time consuming and complex.

Pretty much this. I have learned that a real talent for designing levels isn't solely in making them visually appealing--anybody can sit and tinker away for weeks or months on a map, adding detail to every pillar and window sill--it's making them flow as intended. Doom seems to be great at teaching this latter skill because you can only do so much aesthetically, and it's instantly obvious that a pretty level is a slog to play. You learn to predict where the player will be, and how he will get there, and how much ammo and health he should probably have.

Like Mman said, a lot of these skills aren't direct translations. For example instead of worrying about health in newer games, you just worry about sufficient cover for health regeneration. But the general principles seem to remain.

Also, for all of the people who dislike Brutal Doom, you're going to hate the version released last night (v16.) It's got this new feature that involves rewarding the player with a +5 Health bonus for killing incapacitated enemies.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I've been replaying Wolf3d using the TC for Doom and I have to say that the level design is pretty bad. Mostly this is from lots of rooms that are useless and who ever decided having secrets inside multiple other secrets is a moron.

Here is an example:

Inside that mess of over 100 push walls are two bosses from EP1 and some one ups, thats it. By this point I just no clipped through the area to see if it lead to anything. The level before that E2M7 is extremely short if you don't go in the secret that has the other half of the level and most of the enemies. Plus on EP2 if you do go into all the secrets by level 3 you have 9 lives and by level 5 your score counter overflows.

The game is fun but some of its a chore. I grew up playing through the game and never finding most of the secrets.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 8, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't think you'll find many people to defend Wolf 3D's map design.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I've been replaying Wolf3d using the TC for Doom and I have to say that the level design is pretty bad. Mostly this is from lots of rooms that are useless and who ever decided having secrets inside multiple other secrets is a moron.

Here is an example:

Inside that mess of over 100 push walls are two bosses from EP1 and some one ups, thats it. By this point I just no clipped through the area to see if it lead to anything. The level before that E2M7 is extremely short if you don't go in the secret that has the other half of the level and most of the enemies. Plus on EP2 if you do go into all the secrets by level 3 you have 9 lives and by level 5 your score counter overflows.

ftr, that maze was intended to have an easter egg which told you to call Apogee HQ and win a special prize, that was abandoned since it was too easy to just open the game files and find the texture in there

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

tooooooo bad posted:

Wolfenstein 3D mapping was brilliant: A veritable "Everyman's" mapmaking, where somebody had the courage to say, "Mapmaking will no longer be the bourgeoisie's fancy! It will be accessible to all walks of life: The blind, the deaf, the dumb, the people with no hands!" Nothing but 90 degree angles and a complete disregard for...everything, really. Level flow, aesthetics, fun. I'm sure a really smart dog could design a Wolf3D map.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Most creative use of swastikas in map design

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

It's pretty amazing that I was raised on that game, and thought it was the coolest poo poo ever until I got my hands on Doom. Even then, I still had a soft spot for similar games like Blake Stone, if only because it had friendly / neutral characters, and those vending machines.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

tooooooo bad posted:

I will, however, defend ridiculously obscure secrets to the end. :colbert: C'mon, don't you remember how great it felt to find a secret you never knew existed? Especially if you have friends that played and you could reveal it to them.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
During my recent Wolf3d replay I got pissed when I figured out that there was no actual pattern/telltale sign/anything for finding almost any secret. It was just random pushwalls. Sometimes in the corner, sometimes in a cubbyhole, sometimes in the middle of the wall, sometimes behind a decoration, etc.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I remember back in the 90s I got this Doom shareware retail box which also included a ton of levels, mods, editors, and other cool Doom tools. I had the registered version of Doom already, I bought that for the tools and levels since my modom was slow at the time.

One awesome tool was this random object and enemy placement tool. It would take any wad, and randomize objects and enemies. It didn't change the actual level though. Just the objects and powerups within it.

This tool was for DOS and god drat it was awesome. It made even a level I played dozens of times feel fresh. I remember one time it even dropped a cyberdemon in E2M1 which just seemed so cool to me.

Does anyone know the name of this tool and where I can find it? Hell I'll run it off DOSBox if needed. I had so much fun, and it would be such a nostalgia bomb.

I know there are now procedural level generators, but that's not the same thing. I just want the objects and monsters randomized. It's the perfect balance between hand crafted level design and the unpredictable nature of procedural generation.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
You could literally write that in DECORATE code in probably fifteen minutes. All you'd have to do is make a random monster spawner and a random object spawner and then make it so every object is replaced by one of the two. Of course, this is assuming you're using ZDoom/GZDoom.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

iceaim posted:

I remember back in the 90s I got this Doom shareware retail box which also included a ton of levels, mods, editors, and other cool Doom tools. I had the registered version of Doom already, I bought that for the tools and levels since my modom was slow at the time.

One awesome tool was this random object and enemy placement tool. It would take any wad, and randomize objects and enemies. It didn't change the actual level though. Just the objects and powerups within it.

This tool was for DOS and god drat it was awesome. It made even a level I played dozens of times feel fresh. I remember one time it even dropped a cyberdemon in E2M1 which just seemed so cool to me.

Does anyone know the name of this tool and where I can find it? Hell I'll run it off DOSBox if needed. I had so much fun, and it would be such a nostalgia bomb.

I know there are now procedural level generators, but that's not the same thing. I just want the objects and monsters randomized. It's the perfect balance between hand crafted level design and the unpredictable nature of procedural generation.
I believe it was just called RanDoom, and was cool. I remember it as well. Deathmatch with monsters was fun as hell using this. Don't know where you can find it though. At work, I'll have to hunt later.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Well, to be fair, there wasn't much level design to do, since the things the Wolf 3D engine could do include 90° turns and nothing else.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wolf3D actually had some pretty creative levels given the limitations of the engine.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I just tried running reelism on Gzdoom 1.5.06 and I always run into this error:

------------
Script error, "reelism_x1.2.pk7:splot.wad:DW-NRG" line 158:
Unknown identifier 'RGF_FULLBRIGHT'
Script error, "reelism_x1.2.pk7:splot.wad:DW-NRG" line 263:

Execution could not continue.

Expected ')', got ','.
------------

I am run it by traffic the .pk7 to the gzdoom exe. Am I doing something wrong?

Stuff like Brutal Doom and Redoom run fine.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

iceaim posted:

I just tried running reelism on Gzdoom 1.5.06 and I always run into this error:

------------
Script error, "reelism_x1.2.pk7:splot.wad:DW-NRG" line 158:

Execution could not continue.

Expected ')', got ','.
------------

I am run it by traffic the .pk7 to the gzdoom exe. Am I doing something wrong?

Stuff like Brutal Doom and Redoom run fine.
You need a newer version of GZDoom. Grab the latest build here.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Wolf3D actually had some pretty creative levels given the limitations of the engine.

In my opinion the wolf3D base plus BUILD engine/ Gzdoom engine capabilities would be point of perfection, you could finally have real differential levels that would span all the way from quaint German farm house, to evil and haunted catacombs

It would be awesome if someone made a map pack like that for Wild Weasel's NAZIS WAD

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zacharias posted:

It would be awesome if someone made a map pack like that for Wild Weasel's NAZIS WAD
Wildweasel was trying to organize something like this, but nobody really bit.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Do you guys think there would be interest in a indie developed old school game in the same tradition of Doom or Duke where the first episode was released free, and then rest could be bought on gog / steam / iOS for say 5.99 so the project could at least break even?

I really want to get into game development, and I'd love to hire a team to make something like this. The reason I choose to go the professional route is so this can be developed rather quickly instead of done during someone's spare time as a hobby. Despite this, I intend on putting a lot of creative love into something like this.

I have plenty of project management experience as well as software and website development experience. There would be no kickstarter, I can self fund something like this myself. So it's all about finding time to start this, which I hope to have in maybe 2 to 3 months.

Although I intend on using my existing coders (though I always make exceptions for exceptional coders), I would be interested in hiring map designers and artists who are established in the Doom and Duke community.

I intend on making this project totally open source too.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 9, 2012

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

iceaim posted:

Do you guys think there would be interest in a indie developed old school game in the same tradition of Doom or Duke where the first episode was released free, and then rest could be bought on gog / steam / iOS for say 5.99 so the project could at least break even?

I really want to get into game development, and I'd love to hire a team to make something like this. The reason I choose to go the professional route is so this can be developed rather quickly instead of done during someone's spare time as a hobby. Despite this, I intend on putting a lot of creative love into something like this.

I have plenty of project management experience as well as software and website development experience. There would be no kickstarter, I can self fund something like this myself. So it's all about finding time to start this, which I hope to have in maybe 2 to 3 months.

Although I intend on using my existing coders (though I always make exceptions for exceptional coders), I would be interested in hiring map designers and artists who are established in the Doom and Duke community.

I intend on making this project totally open source too.

That sounds pretty cool. A lot of indie games are deliberately old school now, so I'm sure there's an audience for it. I forget the name of it, but there was a game with sort of the same idea, made on the Quake engine. It had a sort of Megaman Zero-inspired look and really nice sprites, but played more like Wolf3D than other old school FPS games (it was a bit weird/janky/bad in that respect).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I'd be down for mapping for something like that, I haven't made any Doom levels but I've released a couple of Duke maps here and here, and a few TCs as well here and here