Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Bixington posted:

The funny thing is that you think any part of that is remotely dangerous on a bike.

He didn't give the full scenario (and it's not really worth hashing over) but crossing on a double yellow and doing 80MPH on a road with whatever speed limit (it's got double yellow lines, it won't be fast) is most certainly dangerous, not because your bike or your lightning reflexes can't handle it, but because Granny in her Buick making a clumsy left turn on the other side of that blind hill isn't expecting Ghostrider blazing down the wrong lane at her. Which is surely an exaggeration, but any time you're operating way outside cagers' expectation envelope, you're being dangerous, and unusual speed and especially illegal passing puts you there.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Im sensing a pattern here. It's called repeat offender, and it means you'll probably start doing drugs shortly.

He was probably already on drugs, probably transporting drugs, the motorcycle was in fact made of drugs, and in fact the entire story is a metaphor for a peyote-fueled vision quest and the plain wrapper cop was Coyote the Trickster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Bixington posted:

The funny thing is that you think any part of that is remotely dangerous on a bike.

How is passing someone on a double yellow line going 80mph+ not dangerous?

E: This

Snowdens Secret posted:

He didn't give the full scenario (and it's not really worth hashing over) but crossing on a double yellow and doing 80MPH on a road with whatever speed limit (it's got double yellow lines, it won't be fast) is most certainly dangerous, not because your bike or your lightning reflexes can't handle it, but because Granny in her Buick making a clumsy left turn on the other side of that blind hill isn't expecting Ghostrider blazing down the wrong lane at her. Which is surely an exaggeration, but any time you're operating way outside cagers' expectation envelope, you're being dangerous, and unusual speed and especially illegal passing puts you there.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bloody Queef posted:

How is passing someone on a double yellow line going 80mph+ not dangerous?

When you're on pretty much anything 600cc and up getting up to 80+mph, completing your pass and getting back on to your side of the road and slowing down can be done in a few seconds, hardly dangerous.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Snowdens Secret posted:

He didn't give the full scenario... because Granny in her Buick making a clumsy left turn on the other side of that blind hill isn't expecting Ghostrider blazing down the wrong lane at her...
For all we know from the story the road could have looked like this, and the only car was the undercover cop.

edit: Except the lines are not double yellow. Off to commit ritual suicide for dishonoring my family by losing an argument on the internet.

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 22, 2012

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Nearly did an RdP on the way to work this morning. Was slowly rolling up the inside of some stopped cars at a traffic light, light goes green as I'm hitting the rear door of the car at the front. Road's quite wide at that point so I roll on from about 2000rpm in 1st and next thing I know the rpms shoot straight up and the rear wheel is going 45deg in every direction. I think I must've got into the power as I hit the white line or maybe cold tyres (it was pretty chilly this morning) but I'm pretty sure I puckered the seat cover off. Thankfully I didn't back off the throttle and get spat off, but gently caress me that's the first close call I've had in ages.

[/:dong:ridin']

I think that means you did a Spies?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bloody Queef posted:

I'm going to be a dick here. But if you ride like that you probably should lose your license.

I started overtaking across dashed lines and didn't quite get back over before the double lines started. I was going maybe 90-100kph during overtaking. The double lines were there because a left turn lane was coming up (they like to start the double lines well in advance here).

I sped up after I got back in my own lane.

As I could see on his video, the police officer actually went the wrong way around a traffic island in his eagerness to catch up to me, since he had been help up by the same traffic I was overtaking. According to his video he sped up to over 150kph in order to catch up because of that. So I think he was actually going faster than I was at any point.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 22, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

KozmoNaut posted:

I started overtaking across dashed lines and didn't quite get back over before the double lines started. I was going maybe 90-100kph during overtaking. The double lines were there because a left turn lane was coming up (they like to start the double lines well in advance here).

As I could see on his video, the police officer actually went the wrong way around a traffic island in his eagerness to catch up to me, since he had been help up by the same traffic I was overtaking. According to his video he sped up to over 150kph in order to catch up because of that. So I think he was actually going faster than I was at any point.

You're Australian aren't you? If that cop shows that video he'll get in poo poo - max speed allowed for chases (and they have to be approved to even start) or anything police related is 140km/h. Jokes on him!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Shimrod posted:

You're Australian aren't you? If that cop shows that video he'll get in poo poo - max speed allowed for chases (and they have to be approved to even start) or anything police related is 140km/h. Jokes on him!

Nah dude he's in Sweden or somewhere like that I think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shimrod posted:

Denmark. I don't think we have any rules regarding maximum pursuit speeds, other than "keep it relatively safe".

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Ah, for some reason I thought you were Australian.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shimrod posted:

In QLD maybe.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I just read through the material and I could actually be looking at an unconditional loss of driver's license, since the two offenses give points and by getting three points, that's a conditional loss. Going more than 60% over the limit is an conditional loss as well. Two or more conditional losses means unconditional loss.

gently caress.

I'm sorry if this is useless advice since I dunno how Denmark's traffic laws go, but in the U.S. you can sometimes beg the court to let you have some sort of half-assed license during your suspension so you can go to work & go home. Because working is important.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Granted, I've only gone by car through Denmark but if it's anything like in Sweden, public transportation is pretty drat good, thus making it very very hard to claim that you have to drive to work, and the only possibility of keeping your license like that is if you actually drive for a living (as in lorry driver, bus driver or so).

But if I read this correctly, some very dull people at the police are going to give the tape a quick glance, and if they think Kozmo averaged more than 128 kph his license is suspended. And since Kozmo himself says he only did about 90-100 kph, this should all be over soon. :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

KozmoNaut posted:

I feel for you man, I'm sure 99% of all riders have done the same kind of thing (including the lurker morons chastising you) and to get busted like that is really lame. Since you obviously weren't actively putting anyone in danger I wish the police would exercise a little discretion in these kinds of cases.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But if I read this correctly, some very dull people at the police are going to give the tape a quick glance, and if they think Kozmo averaged more than 128 kph his license is suspended. And since Kozmo himself says he only did about 90-100 kph, this should all be over soon. :)

Very dull people indeed. They probably have protractors and pocket protectors and they're going to be calculating frame counts, distances and stuff.

They way the video speed measuring system usually works is that the policeman presses at button when the car in front is at a fixed point, then he presses the button again when he's at that same fixed point himself. He does this again with another fixed point further up the road, and the system outputs an average speed for the car in front.

In my case, the policeman didn't have a measured speed to confront me with (due to getting held up by traffic), so the dull people will have to go to work.

I still maintain that I wasn't putting anyone in danger and that the road was completely empty except for myself and the three cars I had just overtaken.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

According to his video he sped up to over 150kph in order to catch up because of that.

I got pulled once and was told "we had to do over 100mph to catch up to you, so you must have been doing 100 mph"

Like a retard I tried to argue that they had to catch me from a standing start and that that didn't mean I was doing 100mph, amazingly logic didn't go down well.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

echomadman posted:

I got pulled once and was told "we had to do over 100mph to catch up to you, so you must have been doing 100 mph"

Like a retard I tried to argue that they had to catch me from a standing start and that that didn't mean I was doing 100mph, amazingly logic didn't go down well.
I had a Denver Police Officer pull me over saying I was doing 78 in a 65, when I had the cruise control set for 65 (indicated) from the moment I passed him (at which point I was still accelerating out of the 45 zone into the 65 zone).

This is why I use OpenGPS set to start logging every time I dock the phone in the car dock these days. I'm going to find a way to use it on the bike this summer, too.

(I know now from GPS that 65 indicated is actually 62 MPH. So, yeah, he 'estimated' my speed as being 16 MPH faster than I was actually going...*le sigh*)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ghost Cactus posted:

I'm sorry if this is useless advice since I dunno how Denmark's traffic laws go, but in the U.S. you can sometimes beg the court to let you have some sort of half-assed license during your suspension so you can go to work & go home. Because working is important.

There no such thing in Denmark. The law doesn't care a loving drat about your work or occupation.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Sir Cornelius posted:

There no such thing in Denmark. The law doesn't care a loving drat about your work or occupation.

Oh my, that sounds rough.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Almost got mooted by a geriatric on the last turn before home today.

She was the red line, I'm blue. We both started from a stop sign at the bottom of the screen, staggered. She was in front, and went first. I had to wait as another car turned left in front of me, then I went. She had changed into the right lane and was a bit ahead, but was probably only doing 20, when I think about it now. It's a fun turn, 35mph limit, so I rev up 1st then double shift up to 3rd and roll thru the turn, probably hitting about 40 or so as I exit. As I get into the turn I realize that she's going much slower than the speed limit, and as the turn straightens out I'm coming up right to the back of her car. I'm in my own lane still and so is she, although she's crowding the dashed line. It's about now I notice that while the turn is straightening out, she is not and the gap between her car and the double yellow is shrinking rapidly. I leaned a bit more then stood it up and got on the brakes. Right about then she seemed to realize I was there, and moved back over after occupying half of my lane.

It could have been ugly but a little bit of notice made it a simple "what the gently caress" handwave to an old rear end lady. In the future I'll probably keep it slower thru that turn when there are other cars around.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 27, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Very dull people indeed. They probably have protractors and pocket protectors and they're going to be calculating frame counts, distances and stuff.

They way the video speed measuring system usually works is that the policeman presses at button when the car in front is at a fixed point, then he presses the button again when he's at that same fixed point himself. He does this again with another fixed point further up the road, and the system outputs an average speed for the car in front.

In my case, the policeman didn't have a measured speed to confront me with (due to getting held up by traffic), so the dull people will have to go to work.

I still maintain that I wasn't putting anyone in danger and that the road was completely empty except for myself and the three cars I had just overtaken.

Sucks dude. I suggest the following:

i) Sell bandit
ii) Purchase track bike
iii) Bribe Cornelius with sexual favours for lifts to the track :stare:
iv) Optional: in your spare time, plan and implement a campaign of hostile forums posting directed at anyone who points out your error
v) Sell track bike when suspension is lifted and purchase something very fast - you might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb, as we say over here.

Comedy alternative, emigrate to a country with less bike-fascism.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

iv) Optional: in your spare time, plan and implement a campaign of hostile forums posting directed at anyone who points out your error

I don't care about that bit. They weren't there anyway. Besides, Cornelius will back me up that you can do 150kph on that road no problem. It's all gentle bends and great visibility everywhere.

Current plan is to sell the car (to get rid of some annoying debt) and see what happens. Won't kill the Bandit to sit for a couple of months.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It turns out that I was indeed a dummy, but not as big a dummy as I feared.

I've been charged with being over a double line for 90 meters, the limit for a conditional loss of license is 100m. So I dodged that one with +1 point on my license and a ~$350 fine.

I've also been charged with speeding, 120kph on a 80kph road, 50% over the limit. Conditional loss of license happens at 128kph (60%). So that's +1 point on my license and a ~$500 fine.

The end result is a ~$850 fine and a total of 3 points on my license. This results in a conditional loss of my driver's license and means that I have to pass a written test and a practical driving test within 3 months or lose my license. These are the same tests I took when I originally got my license, and will be taken in a car.

It could have been so much worse.

As an aside, Cornelius informed me that he had personally tested the very same road at 225kph and found it no problem. I'll leave the conclusion up to you.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 6, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hefty fine, but that's great news otherwise. Maybe take it easy until some of those points expire?

I had an idiot moment yesterday. I was coming back to my office with my lunch, a sandwich and a salad, in a plastic bag. I didn't have any luggage on the bike, nor was I wearing a backpack, so I wound up clipping the plastic bag to the waist belt on my jacket:

It started falling off to the left, so I figured I'd just not put my left foot down for the duration of the 1/2 mile or so ride back to my office.

I pulled into the parking lot and was getting ready to back into my space. I did a low-speed right turn -- I would have been on the rear brake at this point getting ready to stop and push the bike backwards, but my brain said, "Can't put the left leg down or your lunch will fall. Gotta put your right leg down." With my right leg about to go down, I couldn't use the rear brake. Brain: "Going too fast, gotta stop, front brake time." I grabbed a bigger handful than I wanted to at 3 mph, the bike stopped suddenly, and I almost had an embarrassing parking lot off.

Lesson learned: really should have grabbed my messenger bag before getting lunch.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Lesson learned: really should have grabbed my messenger bag before getting lunch.

Stuff it inside the front of your jacket and do up that belt thing really tight? Sometimes I cram stuff down the back of my jeans, but that only works for thin things. Not lunch. :(

I'm glad you're not hosed KozmoNaut - sorry about the fine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I got away with the jacket stuff before I got some mild luggage. It works better if you're skinny.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

I got away with the jacket stuff before I got some mild luggage. It works better if you're skinny.

This. Also, I had Home Depot stuff in the jacket. It would have worked fine if I just had the sandwich, but the salad was bulky.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ghost Cactus posted:

Stuff it inside the front of your jacket and do up that belt thing really tight? Sometimes I cram stuff down the back of my jeans, but that only works for thin things. Not lunch. :(

I wouldn't advise cramming your lunch into your rear end.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Strife posted:

I wouldn't advise cramming your lunch into your rear end.

I said small things!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ghost Cactus posted:

I said small things!
I wouldn't recommend cramming your lunch into your rear end, not matter what size your rear end is.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Jabs posted:

I wouldn't recommend cramming your lunch into your rear end, not matter what size your rear end is.

Fair enough.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Had the front push on me today in a righthand turn thanks to some brake fluid on the edge of my front tire. This happened on a shakedown ride after bleeding the front calipers. Spiced up the ride nicely. I then proceeded to do a self-congratulatory victory wheelie for keeping the bike upright despite having a front tire that felt like riding on an ice sphere.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I had someone pull out in front of me at the tail end of a 7 hour ride. I was expecting them to (like I expect every car to be an idiot) but usually they don't actually do it. Locked up the rear a bit while laying on the horn and going deep into the front brake. I let off the rear and it slid around a bit while I was still slowing down. I guess I let off the rear brake a bit too much so it started to slide around because I was still slowing down a lot with my front. Luckily I was paying attention and managed to not slam my bike into the idiot driver.

I wonder if they even know what happened or that they did anything wrong?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

bladesamurai posted:

I wonder if they even know what happened or that they did anything wrong?

They probably realize it if you lay on your horn and flash your brights at them (after you've recovered of course) I also try to take an opportunity to pull up alongside then and shout something to the effect of "What the gently caress were you doing, you could have killed me back there" Also I've never been shot at, but YMMV.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had a foolish looking moment yesterday.

Was hitting up the usual neighborhoods that I like the area of (I window shop houses on my bike) I was stopped at a stop sign and was turning right. It looked like someone had dumped some potted plant dirt (the moist soft poo poo) onto the road right near the apex.

I clearly was feeding in to much throttle and or clutch slipping when I was completing my right hand turn as the rear tire spun up pretty fast and started to come around. Dumb instincts took over and I pulled the clutch back in and uh... I guess I saved it? I stayed up-right. But I definitely did not feel like I was in control.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Hit a rabbit doing 65 today. I thought I was going to loving die. I also immediately felt terrible (I hunt but somehow hitting stuff makes me feel bad.)

Front end slid a bit, and I had guts on the tire that made it nice and slippery. Less than 2 miles later I locked the front tire up to keep from hitting a deer. It got the guts off, but I almost ate poo poo yet again.

gently caress this state. It's getting warm now and wildlife is everyfuckingwhere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What was the rule that I read here? "Only swerve to avoid things that you couldn't eat in one sitting"? Seems about right to me.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saw a guy's butthole pucker a hole in his pants on my way into work. I was cruising along at about 40, heading toward a green light that also had a protected left arrow. The left arrow turns yellow as I hear a bike of some kind speed up, followed by a busa leaning hard into a left turn to make the light.

I thought to myself, "Man that guy's really leaning that thing, he must ride track or something". It was stock looking, had floppy blinkers, the whole nine. As I watched him lean and lean, his brake light came on, up it went and headed directly for the curb. Target fixation, nerves, roach in the road, who knows but he stood up off that seat SO FAST trying to lean the bike out from under him (like you would with a bicycle as a child) I swear he had some kind of brown streak on his saddle.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just imagined that entire scenario taking place with some wiener in a Toyota Prius instead of a Hayabusa and giggled

SoCal has the worst drivers in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Last night I was on my way to ultimate frisbee league games after work. I was on an on ramp about to merge into the highway when the person in front of me decided to SLAM on the breaks at ~50mph. I have no idea what the gently caress he was doing (probably wanted to take the side exit instead of get on the highway?)...but basically I locked up my front wheel in a panic break and my thought process was this:

"Holy gently caress how do I not remember what to do when I lock my front wheel."
Immediately followed by:
"OMG IM TARGET FIXATING ON THE CAR!"

At which point I eased off the front brake and swerved around him.

I have no idea why I panicked so hard, maybe just already thinking of the merge and not on the car in front of me?
I could have been a lot worse because 1) Nothing happened 2) I reacted correctly (right?) after only an instant of OMG. Obviously, though, I hope that doesn't happen again because I may not have the instant in the future.
Sigh.

• Locked thread