Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Another weird question just popped into my head. How do you check your strings if you cannot physically reach/touch your cervix? Between being fat and having tiny hands, I cannot reach it at all.

They're supposed to hang out a few centimeters or something, right? So you wouldn't actually have to reach -all- the way up there. My plan is to just let my husband do it cause he likes sticking his fingers up there.

Speaking of which, HOLY MOTHER OF CRAMPS. That poo poo they have you put in your vagina the night before insertion? loving gently caress gently caress I've never had cramps that bad EVER, and never thrown up from the pain once (let alone the four or five times I did last night). I finally just had him dig em back out because I just couldn't take it anymore, especially cause I'd taken two ibuprophen about three hours into the cramps and it was still hurting too much hours after that (plus I'd kinda vomited the entire contents of my stomach by number 3 and didn't know how safe it was to take more so soon). Hubby took the pill container and looked it up on the internet, apparently cramps are a primary effect of it and it's more commonly used to induce periods/abortions/labor. loving thanks for telling me to watch out for that, gyno/pharmacist, we got all of an hour of sleep last night because of this poo poo.

Update in about two hours after I actually get the thing in. I'm still cramping from the fricking pills. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I was not aware I had to put any poo poo in my vajay prior to insertion. I was told to take 800 mg of ibu a few hours before hand.

I don't have a husband or a bf that lives close so I am going to have to be able to check them myself. I also don't want them left so long they poke my guy.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Geolicious posted:

I was not aware I had to put any poo poo in my vajay prior to insertion. I was told to take 800 mg of ibu a few hours before hand.

I don't have a husband or a bf that lives close so I am going to have to be able to check them myself. I also don't want them left so long they poke my guy.

Not everyone gives you the stuff to put in. It's called Cytotec and is used to soften the cervix with the idea that that will make insertion easier. But the evidence suggests it doesn't change the success rate of insertion and that women who use it before their insertion have more issues with cramping than those who don't. You can read through my earlier posts in this thread for a more thorough discussion about it.

Blue Occomy I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction. While cramping is a common side effect it's very rare for it to get to the level you describe and your doc really should have told you about the side effects.

Geolicious I would recommend you read up on positions for doing cervical checks and see if you can find your cervix in any of them. My cervix is really low and I still can't reach it if I'm not in the right position (squatting works best). Also the best time to try is when you are getting your period, because that is when your cervix is typically lowest.

The strings being long is actually better for them to not bother your boyfriend as well. If they are short they will poke straight out of your cervix and stab him. If they are long they will bend out of his way.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Trip report! The sounding wasn't too bad at all, but the wings on the Mirena popped open while it was still going through my cervix (ow ow OW). She couldn't get it settled back into the insertion thing so they opened another one and that one went in okay. Scheduled a check-up for a month from now to make sure it's in place. Once they were done I started shivering like I was last night, dunno if it was from the cramps or what >.< Hubby helped me get my underwear/pants/shoes back on, he was great the entire time :3:

Now to sit here and try not to barf again, cause I'm wrapped up in a comforter and have a heat pack and I would not reach the bathroom in time :/

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Ceridwen posted:

Information

Thanks Ceridwen. Sorry for asking repeat question, I'm sure. I didn't expect to get one so soon. It just sort of worked out and now I'm all :supaburn: QUESTIONS!

I'm sure my gyno can help me find my lady junk and know where to cut the strings. It popped into my head late last night when I realized I can't actually reach my cervix.

I'm just so scared this won't be right for me when I so desperately need to to be right for me since I can't find someone to do a ligation. Seems like a lot of women in this thread had good luck and love theirs.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

Mean Bean posted:

I'm 33, turning 34 next month and my husband and I are sure we don't want kids.... have for you guys is what the tubal ligation might be like, if anyone has had one.

I'm one of those freaky child free people you keep hearing about. (Minus the breeder/crotch-fruit thing. I like most kids ok, I just don't want any.) It's important that you know what you are talking about so be up to date on your options. Also be firm about what you want, but not hostile or angry. I think they key thing is remembering patient autonomy. The Doctor cannot make medical decisions for you. I also think that it is useful to remind a hesitant doctor that you are grown up to have children, so you are grown up enough to decide not to have them.

Mean Bean posted:

I don't know about that paragard, I'm allergic to something in metal - maybe nickel? I can't wear a watch or most jewelry because it gives me a rash:( I want that Essure thing! Stupid Germany.

I can't wear my wedding ring anymore because it gives me a rash, but I've been ok with my paragaurd. If you are really allergic to metal, you know that essure is metal, right? I know there's adiana, but I don't know if it's on the market anymore

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Geolicious posted:

....since I can't find someone to do a ligation.

Remind me again, is there a reason your man can't get a vasectomy? Or do you need to be on birth control for something else? A guy getting snipped is way easier than a woman, and that's not even going into the ease of a vasectomy compared to a tubal ligation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

jai Mundi posted:

I'm one of those freaky child free people you keep hearing about. (Minus the breeder/crotch-fruit thing. I like most kids ok, I just don't want any.) It's important that you know what you are talking about so be up to date on your options. Also be firm about what you want, but not hostile or angry. I think they key thing is remembering patient autonomy. The Doctor cannot make medical decisions for you. I also think that it is useful to remind a hesitant doctor that you are grown up to have children, so you are grown up enough to decide not to have them.

I can't wear my wedding ring anymore because it gives me a rash, but I've been ok with my paragaurd. If you are really allergic to metal, you know that essure is metal, right? I know there's adiana, but I don't know if it's on the market anymore

She also might have better luck if she waits until her husband is back and can go with her to discuss this. As hosed up as it is, some doctors have reservations about doing tubal ligation on married women unless their husbands make it clear they're on board with it too. Also while you're right that doctors shouldn't be making medical decisions for her, I'm pretty sure they are free to refuse to perform procedures that aren't technically medically necessary (as in life-saving) if they don't feel comfortable with it. No idea if it's different in Germany though.

Really like the other poster said, vasectomy would probably be the easier avenue if it's possible both in terms of finding a doctor willing to do it and recovery-wise.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Remind me again, is there a reason your man can't get a vasectomy? Or do you need to be on birth control for something else? A guy getting snipped is way easier than a woman, and that's not even going into the ease of a vasectomy compared to a tubal ligation.

If I find out, I will let you know. We had this exact discussion last night and even offered to help pay the deductible. I told him it would hurt less and be far less invasive than a ligation or even IUD and I have always been under the impression he does not want kids (he's close to 46). He gave me some BS about how bad it would hurt (my fat rear end) and how it's not easily reversed. I then told him if he was laboring under the delusion that I might one day change my mind about kids, he was poo poo. outta. luck. and that if he changed his mind we wouldn't work. He was pretty quiet after that and changed the subject.

At the end of the day, though, I want to take charge of my own contraception. I'm the only one I can trust to make sure it's done right.

Also, a Mirena will give me the period lightening benefits that the pill did, but with more trustworthiness in preventing pregnancy.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

NaturalLow posted:

She also might have better luck if she waits until her husband is back and can go with her to discuss this. As hosed up as it is, some doctors have reservations about doing tubal ligation on married women unless their husbands make it clear they're on board with it too.

My husband's urologist wanted to make sure I was on board with his vasectomy, too. They don't want to be responsible for helping gently caress up your marriage if it's a unilateral decision, I imagine.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
This is kind-of weird for me to talk about, so please forgive the awkwardness...

For many years, I've been thinking about permanent birth control, or at least a longer-term solution like an IUD. I'm 27, and this November I'll have been married for 10 years.

My current birth control method is the Nuva Ring, and while I guess I like it, I still have a very, very bad issue with pregnancy anxiety. I've had one previous pregnancy and subsequent abortion, and it was one of the absolute worst things I've ever had to deal with in my life. I hate children, I never want children and the mere thought of being pregnant gives me the shakes. The result of this is that my husband and I simply can not have sex, else I end up having a complete and total mental breakdown until I have my period - and even sometimes well until after it's started. He, thankfully, understands the issue and doesn't press upon me the need for intimacy... but I still feel awful about not being able to meet his needs, as a wife and as a lover.

I feel like maybe if I go for something like Essure, I might be able to have better peace of mind and calm myself down about this entire thing a little bit. A close friend of mine was recently imparting to me her experiences with getting an IUD (BlueOccamy, actually :v) and I thought I might come post here and see if maybe someone could give me some advice.

I have an appointment for my yearly exam on the 29th, so whatever I choose to talk with them about I'll be able to address then.

edit: Something else I thought I might add, that is maybe semi-relevant - the other reason I've been encouraged to get in to have an exam done is my dietician was recently switched to a different doctor, and he was asking me some preliminary questions and seemed very alarmed when I told him about the irregularity and heaviness of my period when I was a teen, before I was put on birth control to 'regulate' it. He said he thought I might possibly have PCOS, and put me on "Metformin" with the statement that even if I didn't have it, it wouldn't hurt me to take the pills. I don't know if something like that, assuming I do have it, even affects more permanent or long-term BC methods but I just thought I'd mention it.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 8, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

else I end up having a complete and total mental breakdown until I have my period - and even sometimes well until after it's started

I'm just want to tell you I know this feeling so much, so please don't feel alone or awkward. As much as I would like to have regular sex, part of me is glad I don't get to, so I can save myself the freak out for another month. I've been known to take a pregnancy test AFTER a period because I just couldn't convince myself it was enough. And I've been on the pill for over 9 years.

Go to your exam, explain your worries, explain you've been married for 10 years, get your hubby in on it if you have to, and maybe you can get the more permanent solution you need.

God, I just want to hug you. I know that insane panic and fear. I honestly can no longer really enjoy sex. I'm hoping this IUD will help.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
That fear of pregnancy was why I was pushing my hubby away. I'd want the sex to be over quick if we had it at all, which meant that he wanted it longer each session which meant I wanted it less, and it just got worse and worse til we just didn't do anything for three months. Not healthy for a marriage that's been going on for less than a year :( We finally talked about it and that's when I brought up what I'd learned in this thread, and he's been wonderful about everything. We're both really looking forward to the next week when I should be good to get back in the saddle (I'd rather wait longer than go sooner and have something be too sensitive still, you know?).

That drat Satyr, you'll do fine, if your state needs your hubby to sign off on something to do a procedure then I'm sure he'll do it. And don't let squeamishness put you off on doing anything, it's a temporary pain that'll be well worth it in the long run :) :glomp:

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

That drat Satyr posted:

edit: Something else I thought I might add, that is maybe semi-relevant - the other reason I've been encouraged to get in to have an exam done is my dietician was recently switched to a different doctor, and he was asking me some preliminary questions and seemed very alarmed when I told him about the irregularity and heaviness of my period when I was a teen, before I was put on birth control to 'regulate' it. He said he thought I might possibly have PCOS, and put me on "Metformin" with the statement that even if I didn't have it, it wouldn't hurt me to take the pills. I don't know if something like that, assuming I do have it, even affects more permanent or long-term BC methods but I just thought I'd mention it.

Metformin is a drug used to treat diabetes, as many women with PCOS have insulin resistance or Type II diabetes. It can also help with PCOS symptoms. I'm not sure how much it will help if you're not diabetic though. However (and this is a big however), if you're afraid of becoming pregnant, you probably don't want to be on it, as metformin is also used to increase fertility in women with PCOS.

In any case, definitely do bring this up at your exam. Your GYN may want to do testing to see if you have PCOS and/or diabetes.

Also, goddamn, these last few replies. :( I hope with BC being covered by insurance in the near future that there will be less stories like this.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

lambeth posted:

Metformin is a drug used to treat diabetes, as many women with PCOS have insulin resistance or Type II diabetes. It can also help with PCOS symptoms. I'm not sure how much it will help if you're not diabetic though. However (and this is a big however), if you're afraid of becoming pregnant, you probably don't want to be on it, as metformin is also used to increase fertility in women with PCOS.

In any case, definitely do bring this up at your exam. Your GYN may want to do testing to see if you have PCOS and/or diabetes.

Also, goddamn, these last few replies. :( I hope with BC being covered by insurance in the near future that there will be less stories like this.

I am definitely not diabetic, and these drat things have been killing my stomach to bits even when I take them with a full meal. I mean, on the one hand maybe I should just stop them until my visit... but on the other hand I've not been sexually active since... November? So getting pregnant isn't really an 'issue' because as I explained in my above post I'm so anxiety-ridden it's just easier to abstain. :/

At any rate, it's definitely on my 'to discuss' list with them. Ugh... weeks away and I already have anxiety.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

That drat Satyr posted:

I am definitely not diabetic, and these drat things have been killing my stomach to bits even when I take them with a full meal. I mean, on the one hand maybe I should just stop them until my visit... but on the other hand I've not been sexually active since... November? So getting pregnant isn't really an 'issue' because as I explained in my above post I'm so anxiety-ridden it's just easier to abstain. :/

At any rate, it's definitely on my 'to discuss' list with them. Ugh... weeks away and I already have anxiety.

Yeah, since you're both on BC and abstaining, I wouldn't worry too much, but I saw "big paragraph on fear of getting pregnant" and "Metformin", so I figured it might help to give you a heads up on it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

I have to take Metformin for Type II. If it turns out you do need it for PCOS, ask for Glumetza. It has a special coating that REALLY REALLY cuts the nausea. It costs a bit (40 bucks for me with my insurance) but not throwing up my breakfast and lunch now makes it worth it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

The massive pregnancy anxiety is something that has never been an issue for me - I've been on the pill since I was 13, had a stint on the implant and am now back on the pill, and I've just never ever doubted it. It's really interesting, would anyone with these worries mind chatting with me over PM (don't want to derail) about what causes it? I'm fascinated by the lack of confidence in contraception and I'd really like to understand it more.

I realise I've made a bit of a weird request, it's just that increasingly I've come into contact with this mindset and it's something I'd never considered before - I really did just assume that if you were on birth control, you didn't worry about pregnancy. I'm not looking to shout at people, by the way, just to understand.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Bollock Monkey posted:

The massive pregnancy anxiety is something that has never been an issue for me - I've been on the pill since I was 13, had a stint on the implant and am now back on the pill, and I've just never ever doubted it. It's really interesting, would anyone with these worries mind chatting with me over PM (don't want to derail) about what causes it? I'm fascinated by the lack of confidence in contraception and I'd really like to understand it more.

I realise I've made a bit of a weird request, it's just that increasingly I've come into contact with this mindset and it's something I'd never considered before - I really did just assume that if you were on birth control, you didn't worry about pregnancy. I'm not looking to shout at people, by the way, just to understand.

I'm with you there. It is not a big issue for me. I definitely get the idea sometimes if I'm feeling randomly nauseated, oh my god what if there's a baby in me :catstare: but then I realize it's so incredibly unlikely that I shouldn't even worry about it. I can't imagine getting anxious over it. I do not really know what I would do if I did get pregnant. Probably at this stage in my life [financially stable, almost out of school] I'd go through with it, even though mentally I'd rather not be a mother right now. It's not scary enough to ruin things for me though and I am sorry that it is for some of you!

You can totally talk about it in here; it's not a derail.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I used to trust the pill when I was in my early 20s. But ever since I read a study that said the pill might not work as well in overweight women, I never really trusted it again. I have tried to lose weight, with a little success but I am still heavy, but Type II and now a recent diagnosis of hypothyroidism is making it hard.

I also just REALLLLLLLY don't want kids, just at all, ever. I know, really know, that motherhood is NOT for me. I love my career and having my life to myself. I know I am a selfish person. Having a kid would just be the worst for me.

Add on having an ostensibly anti-choice boyfriend (he's never been tested on it) and that's the recipe for Geolicious' pregnancy fear/hatred/anxiety.

Thanks for letting me talk about it in here, Eggplant Wizard. It's actually an anxiety/fear that I've really started to realize and examine recently. That drat Satyr's post really hit close to home.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Until the Mirena, my husband and I were just using condoms. That's a large part of my fear, which really didn't hit me hard til my friend's wife and our sister in law each had a baby and I got to see first-hand how much poo poo you go through during/after pregnancy. I've always been underweight and my side of the family's had enough medical problems (not to mention that I'm anosmic- we're not sure if it's genetic or not but I've never been able to smell) that even if I would be able to get through the pregnancy I wouldn't want to throw all those bad genes into a kid- it just seems too mean, seeing how the rest of my family deals with the various problems :S Not to mention we have three cats right now and if their antics are roughly equivalent to a toddler's then the baby'd end up getting thrown out a window in a fit of frustration >.< I've tossed the cats out of the office before and slammed the door, I don't think that's safe to do with a kid...

Mirena question: Last night and this morning I've started getting little twinges every so often on the left side of where I assume my uterus is. It kind of feels like the time my hubby dug his fingers in a bit to find my ovary- it doesn't really hurt but I end up holding my breath for a few seconds to try to keep it from happening again. If it keeps happening I'll call the gyno, or if it starts actually hurting. Other than that it's still bleeding very very mildly and the blood's all brown by the time it comes out (one pantyliner was all I used yesterday and it was less than a fourth covered, all told), and the cramps are very mild as well and have been tapering off.

EDIT: have any of you with the Mirena needed to change how you sit/sleep because of it? I tend to squirm around a lot and twist in various ways while sleeping, and I didn't think to ask the gyno if that'd affect how the thing sits in there. Also, I always tend to dig a few fingers into my front when a cramp starts coming on, haven't done it since then cause I don't know if it'd just dig it into the back of my uterus or not :/ Would it?

BlueOccamy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 8, 2012

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Interesting. See, I'm totally not ready for motherhood, even though it's definitely something I want to do in the next decade. I guess the idea of an abortion just doesn't terrify the gently caress out of me - obviously I would really rather not go through it, but it's better than having a kid I'm not ready for, and not having sex sucks. Plus I make sure to have partners who have the same ideas about what would happen if I were to become pregnant as I do. I guess I should feel lucky that I can have all of the sex and none of the worry!

In terms of the Mirena, BlueOccamy, I don't have one but my knowledge of physiology would lead me to say that there's no chance of you poking it back or shifting it by how you're sitting - humans are pretty well-padded, else all your internal organs would constantly be undergoing trauma.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 8, 2012

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I touched briefly on my reasons for anxiety about pregnancy in my post, but I'll elaborate a little on it.

I got pregnant when I was 21 while using the patch (Ortho Nuvera, I think?) because I guess it doesn't work so well in overweight woman and my doctor is a complete retard and didn't really alert me to these issues. I'm terrible at remembering a pill every single day and the exact same time, so the premise of only changing it once a week sounded great. Long story short, got pregnant and subsequently got not-pregnant, and was switched over to the ring by the doctors at the place I went to for the procedure. The women at the clinic were wonderful and kind and absolutely amazing, and did everything they could to make it as easy as possible... But for me, it was still difficult mentally to deal with, despite the fact that I know I don't want and will never have children.

That had me freaking out enough, but then just a couple years ago my best friend, who is/was on Depo ALSO got pregnant. I went with her for her procedure and it just really drove home for me that this is something I never, ever want to go through again. And, since I know I never, never, never ever want children... I mean you can see maybe why I freak over it all the time.

I'm also really prone to anxiety anyway, so that probably adds to it. :smith:

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 8, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

I'm also really prone to anxiety anyway, so that probably adds to it. :smith:

This, too. I used to take Klonopin and dammit I think I should again.

I really want to hug you, drat Satyr. I just feel you so hard on this.

Bollock Monkey, I would imagine having a partner who would drive you to the clinic if it came to that definitely eases the worry. Knowing your relationship would probably end over an abortion does not help the anxiety. Of course, that opens a whole new can of worms not for this thread.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

It does. And you know what everyone says every time, so I shan't repeat it ;)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Geolicious posted:

I also just REALLLLLLLY don't want kids, just at all, ever. I know, really know, that motherhood is NOT for me. I love my career and having my life to myself. I know I am a selfish person. Having a kid would just be the worst for me.

I just wanted to point out not wanting to have kids does not make one a selfish person, and it's really messed up that our society makes it seem that way.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Part of me wonders, though, if he would change his tune if it was something he actually had to face instead of this abstract idea that affects other people.

I really hope it never comes to a test, but I know in my own life, I've changed my views on a lot of things based on what I personally went through or saw people close to me go through.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I just wanted to point out not wanting to have kids does not make one a selfish person, and it's really messed up that our society makes it seem that way.

I just meant I am a selfish person in general. It's something I recognize and try to work on, but I know my selfish streak would not translate well into parenting.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bollock Monkey posted:

I think there's a lot of possible factors.

You have widespread abstinence-only sex ed (in the U.S. anyway) that pretty much drills it into your head that all birth control is unreliable and you WILL get instantly pregnant if you have sex. Then you've got poo poo floating around like those "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" shows that seem to have gotten popular where women talk about being on the pill and having regular periods until they have a baby in their bathroom.

Also in my own experience pretty much everytime I mention being on the pill myself or see someone else talking about it online, there will be ALWAYS be at least 3 or 4 people chiming in with something like "Don't count on it, I got pregnant with my second kid while I was on the pill" or "It's not 100%, nothing's 100%! :byodame: "

(I am of course generalizing a lot since there's always personal reasons like That drat Satyr's story.)

I find myself giving in to the anxiety sometimes, although usually I'm able to kind of "logic" myself out of it. It's always kind of in the back of my mind, so I could see how it might really be a problem for people.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Interesting. See, I'm totally not ready for motherhood, even though it's definitely something I want to do in the next decade. I guess the idea of an abortion just doesn't terrify the gently caress out of me - obviously I would really rather not go through it, but it's better than having a kid I'm not ready for, and not having sex sucks. Plus I make sure to have partners who have the same ideas about what would happen if I were to become pregnant as I do. I guess I should feel lucky that I can have all of the sex and none of the worry!

Something to remember is that it's not just a matter of fear - abortions are not always widely available. For example, to my knowledge there's only ONE abortion clinic serving the entire state where I live and it's about 2-3 hours drive away from me. Then there are laws that have made actually getting abortions much more difficult in an attempt to browbeat women into changing their minds like mandatory waiting periods, mandatory/unnecessary ultrasounds, etc. And that's assuming you even realize you're pregnant in time to legally have an abortion (12 weeks or less in most places in the U.S. I believe).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 8, 2012

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I was okay on the pill, since my period was like clockwork. but since I switched to Mirena, and my period disappeared, I've had much more anxiety about pregnancy. If it was out of place, and I got pregnant, how would I know? But I've been doing pretty well with it.

On that note, I had an ultrasound this morning, while looking into some pelvic pain. My IUD is perfectly in place :) Waiting on the results though. I think may have a cyst. :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I thought maybe I would worry about no period on Mirena, but with the factors for weight and user error removed, I feel like I could give in and trust it.

Something about having something jammed up in there makes me feel better about nothing else moving in.

I'm getting kinda ansty about the pain, but I'm am far more afraid of the thought of pain than pain itself.

edit: I wish I had someone who could go with me, though.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

When I first got my Mirena, I definitely had the whole "oh god what if it's out of place or missing, since I can't feel the strings?!" scare, but really, it will be okay. :) If it were way out of place, poking through your cervix, or missing entirely, you would definitely notice. It's not going to fall out or move improperly in your sleep. In fact, it can and will move around in your uterus at different times during the month, even if you stop having a period, so your strings may move and disappear with it.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

Aceofblue posted:

In fact, it can and will move around in your uterus at different times during the month, even if you stop having a period, so your strings may move and disappear with it.

haha. Definitely noticed that. I've only had one period since I got it in January, and I guess my cervix sits really low during that time, because my strings actually stuck out a little. Luckily, I haven't had trouble finding them at any point.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

uberwekkness posted:

I was okay on the pill, since my period was like clockwork. but since I switched to Mirena, and my period disappeared, I've had much more anxiety about pregnancy. If it was out of place, and I got pregnant, how would I know?
I asked the gyno this, and she said that if you're not getting a period it means your uterine lining has gotten so sparse that nothing could take up residence in there anyway. Don't know if she was blowing smoke to make me feel better or what, but I quit worrying after that.

So, Mirena story: my first one expired about two months ago, and although I've read that they're actually good for 7 years I'm hella paranoid so I got it replaced. The first insertion was pretty unpleasant but had absolutely nothing on the second. Good GRIEF, it was horrible and painful and invasive. My poor cervix had been pretty well locked up for years and did NOT want to dilate, and it took about twenty minutes of wrestling for the doc to get the old gizmo out and put the new one in. I am good with pain, and I was leaking tears and trying not to scream. Damned unpleasant. Doc said that it was the hardest placement she's ever done. My response was to go home and get bombed at two in the afternoon, which helped. Anyway, NO FUN, but the new Mirena settled right in and I'm having none of the nasty cramping I got with the first one. And I still love the poo poo out of it.

spite house fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 9, 2012

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

NaturalLow posted:

You have widespread abstinence-only sex ed (in the U.S. anyway) that pretty much drills it into your head that all birth control is unreliable and you WILL get instantly pregnant if you have sex...

Something to remember is that it's not just a matter of fear - abortions are not always widely available. For example, to my knowledge there's only ONE abortion clinic serving the entire state where I live and it's about 2-3 hours drive away from me. Then there are laws that have made actually getting abortions much more difficult in an attempt to browbeat women into changing their minds like mandatory waiting periods, mandatory/unnecessary ultrasounds, etc. And that's assuming you even realize you're pregnant in time to legally have an abortion (12 weeks or less in most places in the U.S. I believe).
America really, really sucks for this sort of thing, doesn't it? I really feel for you guys that have to put up with this much bullshit. Sex ed here in the UK isn't great, but it's much more likely to be a bit shoddy and uninformative than to be abstinence-only. The abortion limit here is 24 weeks, and I'd never really thought about how different it could be in other places. I can see that having such a tight limit, combined with the lack of easy access to support and resources is a recipe for disaster. If only it were easier to reverse the misconceptions given to us as children :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I had OK enough sex ed in school, especially considering the conservative area I was from. It wasn't abstinence only and did go over BC and typical failure rates. As I recall though, it was much more STD focused. But, it wasn't terribly effective. I graduated in 2000 and I know a lot of girls from my class with 11, 12, 13 year olds. But that's also the prevailing attitude where I am from for women: Have babies and/or get married as soon as possible because that's what women are for.

Even in my own family, there's so much pressure. I have a cousin who is on her third pregnancy, with her 3rd guy, and well isn't she just the greatest, bringing life into the world? I chose school and a career and people in my family think I'm mentally off.

I think the majority of my fear stems from knowing I NEVER want children but also knowing that BC can fail.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I had OK enough sex ed in school, especially considering the conservative area I was from. It wasn't abstinence only and did go over BC and typical failure rates. As I recall though, it was much more STD focused. But, it wasn't terribly effective. I graduated in 2000 and I know a lot of girls from my class with 11, 12, 13 year olds. But that's also the prevailing attitude where I am from for women: Have babies and/or get married as soon as possible because that's what women are for.

Even in my own family, there's so much pressure. I have a cousin who is on her third pregnancy, with her 3rd guy, and well isn't she just the greatest, bringing life into the world? I chose school and a career and people in my family think I'm mentally off.

I think the majority of my fear stems from knowing I NEVER want children but also knowing that BC can fail.

Sex ed at my school was basically one class period with a guest speaker and did not cover birth control at all. It was mostly just "condoms don't work against anything, I mean look how thin they are." Then the rest of the class period was a powerpoint slideshow full of graphic pictures of diseased genitals and dying people in the late stages of AIDS. (This was in 2000). But she also said she wanted us to have great sex lives, just not until we were married. :downs: The kicker was I had to sit through that drat presentation with the same speaker again in my freshman year of college (2004). Really the only reason I know so much about contraception and sex beyond "you'll get a disease! :supaburn: " is because I made an effort to seek out information on my own.

I don't know how it is in other places, but I get the impression that this is fairly normal since schools are funded by the government and they insist on the abstinence-only thing (despite all evidence that it never works).

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It also doesn't help when many conservatives states are steadily ripping abortion rights away from women by making them difficult or nearly impossible to obtain. :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NaturalLow posted:

Really the only reason I know so much about contraception and sex beyond "you'll get a disease! :supaburn: " is because I made an effort to seek out information on my own.

Me, too. Unfortunately my mother was no help in this since having sex makes the baby Jesus cry or something, so I was piecing poo poo together from Seventeen, Cosmo, and thankfully, the burgeoning internet.

From what I can tell, despite a small personhood movement, Nevada hasn't gone batshit with abortion restrictions. It's just a pain to drive anywhere.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 9, 2012

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I went to school in rural western North Carolina, right in the heart of the mountains in a pretty small town. In school, in the 9th grade we had a 'Health Education' class, which you think would have covered sex education... but nope, nothing. This would have been ~1999 or so. We were never even taught so much what a condom was, never mind how to safely use one.

To put it in perspective, though, that class only lasted half the year. The other half of the year was a mandatory 'Hunter Education' class that every student was required to take and pass to go on to the next grade level. So thanks to the McDowell County Public School system of North Carolina I could totally clean a rifle at age 15, but god help me if I wanted to screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umbrellar
Nov 6, 2011
Next week I'm planning on finding out if/how much my insurance will cover for the Mirena IUD. I've never given birth, so I'll need to look for a gyno who has experience giving the IUD to childless women. Are there suggestions for narrowing it down (like, can I ask over the phone when making an appointment) or do I need to just keep making appointments until I find one who will do it? I've always just gone to Planned Parenthood for reproductive issues, because I was too chickenshit to use my parent's insurance. I figure Planned Parenthood might be a good place to try for Mirena, if they accept my insurance.

• Locked thread