Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

I don't know how I feel about it. Half of me is excited and the other half is "ugh, mmo".

From what I hear they're planning on:

-Players being able to become Princes of a city, complete with all the power that comes with that position.
-Permadeath.
-New characters begin as a human and are embraced during the tutorial, but it's possible to not be embraced and play as a human, albeit at a huge disadvantage and with no real reason to.
-Werewolf & possibly Hunter expansion after release.

I don't have a source, this is just what I've gathered from all over.
They had a really slick looking trailer recently that showed they at least have the tone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Phonecall from Gary won't trigger when I leave the Fu Syndicate building. Any console trickery I can use to either trigger it, or make the game continue?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Dixie Flatline posted:

Phonecall from Gary won't trigger when I leave the Fu Syndicate building. Any console trickery I can use to either trigger it, or make the game continue?

Did you make sure that Nosferatu guy you rescue actually left the building? That actually happened to me, once. I just had to go back in and talk to the guy and he left, triggering the phone call.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Playing through as Tremere has me feeling simultaneously weak and cheesy. Blood Purge is proving to be an irritating necessity in combat, attempting to not use it has been proving quite fatal. I picked up trance anticipating the Museum and similar levels but I'm thinking fueling those trances might be too taxing on my blood supply. How do you non-stealth types get through these levels and not unnecessarily anger LaCroix and by extension that nasty sheriff?

Additional run-through's help bide the time while I wait for Antitribu mod to be finished, basically whole new game http://forums.bloodlinesantitribu.com//index.php even though they dropped my clan, the Setites due to Serpentis issues

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KamiTsurugi posted:

Did you make sure that Nosferatu guy you rescue actually left the building? That actually happened to me, once. I just had to go back in and talk to the guy and he left, triggering the phone call.

I didn't, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I decided to try the Clan Quest Mod for my second playthrough, but I keep running into problems with installation. I do a fresh install via Steam and follow all the directions on the mod site, but the install keeps getting hung up at the same error.

It says it can't rename a file called "Install64.exe" in the Tools directory of the Vampire folder because "Access is denied". But when I go looking for it, there is no Install64.exe in any of the Vampire folders.

I checked the mod's official forums, but no one else seemed to have this problem, so it's probably something I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out with a quick trip over the Steam forums. Time to become undead Max Payne

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 10, 2012

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

octoroon posted:

Dead State by Brian Mitsoda, the lead writer of Bloodlines is up on KickStarter! Always wished you could support this game financially and actually have the money be a vote for the sort of devs who make awesome games? Now is your chance.

Was he lead writer? I thought he just did the Malk PC and some quest NPCs.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

DemonNick posted:

Was he lead writer? I thought he just did the Malk PC and some quest NPCs.

Nope, lead writer and character designer. The Malk was just a particularly awesome example of his work, but he did a lot. He even did a little bit of voice acting to fill in the gaps.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

NihilCredo posted:

It was a debacle because it got 84 instead of 85 on Metacritic.

No, it's not a joke. It's seriously that. I know of little else that is such a strong argument for the entire game reviewing culture/industry being sick, broken, and harmful.

That seems really silly.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

octoroon posted:

Nope, lead writer and character designer. The Malk was just a particularly awesome example of his work, but he did a lot. He even did a little bit of voice acting to fill in the gaps.

I apologize but I am unable to find any source listing him as "lead writer and character designer." He worked alongside several others on "design, dialog and story" according to imdb. Could you cite your source?

NihilCredo posted:

It was a debacle because it got 84 instead of 85 on Metacritic.

No, it's not a joke. It's seriously that. I know of little else that is such a strong argument for the entire game reviewing culture/industry being sick, broken, and harmful.

Pretty much. Instead of using the rather obvious metric of "Sales" to determine bonuses, publishers are insistent on relying on a rather arbitrary system that attempts to correlate values from different subjective measurement systems into a singular number.

It's perfectly understandable if your goal is to get as much money as possible.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Merry Magpie posted:

I apologize but I am unable to find any source listing him as "lead writer and character designer." He worked alongside several others on "design, dialog and story" according to imdb. Could you cite your source?
Troika wasn't big on titles. Troika was a really small company. Only 12 people worked on Arcanum. However, Mitsoda described himself as the lead writer in a 2009 interview.

quote:

RPS: How did you go about creating the plot and dialog? Can you describe the overall process? There's a number of writers credited, plus the design team, what influence did you have in that wider creative circle?

Mitsoda: The basic plot was kind of there — there's a new prince in town, there's a group of anarchs that are pissed, ties to Gehenna event, and Jack and the sarcophagus being a major story point. The designers (about five people) discussed some ways to tie everything into the hubs and levels. With the broader elements agreed upon, we had a lot of control over our sections of the game. Keep in mind, it was a small team doing everything — two writer/designers, one modeler/senior designer, and two owners/producers/designers. With just a few people overseeing every aspect, it doesn't take as long to reach a consensus or keep plot straight.

Over time, I became primarily tasked with writing the majority of the characters and dialogue, and that helped with consistency. I probably had to argue points a few times, but because of time constraints or faith in my abilities, I was given a lot of freedom with characters and their quests.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 12, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

octoroon posted:

Yeah I think he was the tv news anchor

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Black Eagle posted:

Troika wasn't big on titles. Troika was a really small company. Only 12 people worked on Arcanum. However, Mitsoda described himself as the lead writer in a 2009 interview.

Yeah, this is my source. There were only two writers/designers working on the whole project, so in the official credits it doesn't make sense to really designate a lead. But Brian did the majority of the dialog for the game, so if he bills himself as the lead writer, I believe it.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah I think he was the tv news anchor

Also Romero.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Bloodlines is one of the flash sales on Steam until Noon EST tomorrow, it's five bucks, :getin:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I'm a newbie around here, only recently started playing VtM:B.

My first run was a Toreador puting a lot of points into seduction. I scractched that before leaving Santa Monica because I thought it was a quite an underwhelming choice and the game didn't really reward social skills as much as fighting skills.

My second attempt, the one I actually finished the game with, was a Gangrel where I went all out combat. First thing I did was to max out Protean to get that sweet monster shape. After that I invested in brawling and melee once I found out there are swords in the game instead of only knives and tire irons. My Gangrel became a murder beast. With this dude I finished the game for my first time.

By the way, I was loving pissed off with that War Shape bug that gets your character stuck if you take damage while transforming. I had to reload so many times.

So now I found this thread and I'm glad there's a bug fixing unofficial patch around! This game is great but it can be very bugy. Like "get stuck on the geometry of the level" buggy.

Reading the OP it seems like you can finish the game playing a character with an emphasis on social skills instead of fighting? Really? My Gangrel dude was a killing machine and still I almost died facing the Kuei-jin boss and that shark-man demon thing. I can't imagine facing those bosses without Protean 5, Fortitude 5 and max Strenght and brawl/melee.

My question is: Let's say I roll a Malkavian next and focus on Persuasion and Security + Stealth. I understand that I will be able to sneak my way through a shitload of enemies but how am I going to deal with the big, bad, hits like a loving truck bosses?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Blood packs and Dementation.

Or Auspex, a couple points of Firearms, and an assault rifle.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah, the endgame is decidedly way harder if you have literally no combat skills, but most of the time you'll at least have some melee or a combat discipline. The way I beat the game the first time (and yes, I was a first run Malkavian, yes I regret this because I almost can't replay the game as anything else) by just spamming the Dementation power that damages enemies and chugging blood packs. With a rifle or the hunter's flamethrower and some Firearms, things are way easier.

As for the sewers? gently caress em, just noclip through them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, this probably comes up a lot, but is there a way to fix the whole blurry textures business that isn't making my computer use less RAM? That sounds really irritating for just playing one game.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Okay, this probably comes up a lot, but is there a way to fix the whole blurry textures business that isn't making my computer use less RAM? That sounds really irritating for just playing one game.

Install the Unofficial Patch by Wesp.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Any particular version? Just tried that with 8.1, both Standard and Plus. Granted, I don't know what this game's actually meant to look like, but I've been testing based on the title screen, loading screen, HUD, and the graffiti on the wall right across from where you start (that is graffiti, right?). Nothing I have done has made them not blurry as gently caress.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Any particular version? Just tried that with 8.1, both Standard and Plus. Granted, I don't know what this game's actually meant to look like, but I've been testing based on the title screen, loading screen, HUD, and the graffiti on the wall right across from where you start (that is graffiti, right?). Nothing I have done has made them not blurry as gently caress.
Are you changing your resolution? Because I believe making it a bigger resolution fixes blurriness, because I never experienced that when I was playing at 1600x1200.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yes, I'm at my native 1900x1080. Still really blurry. I've tried the patch installation multiple times now, both Basic and Plus, still hasn't worked.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I believe there's an issue with the installer for the patch that puts it in the wrong directory. It should be set to install it to the base Vampire folder.

For example: ".....Steam\steamapps\common\Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I did exactly that. It got really annoying by like, the fourth time.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I did exactly that. It got really annoying by like, the fourth time.

Oh, dang, that blows. I don't really know what to tell you then. Try posting a thread over on the Steam forums for Vampire. You can also try the Planet Vampire forums as well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Potentially stupid question here, but are you sure you've checked the install path? As in, every single folder? It kept installing to Program Files for me, instead of Program Files (x86) or whatever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I had to redirect it literally every time, so yeah, I made sure of that.

I mentoned my pains on a City of Heroes global channel and someone suggested reinstalling and turning off the auto-updater. Maybe that'll work.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Try running the installer as an administrator. I had a friend with the same problem (patch wouldn't install on steam copy) and it was because Window's protection was preventing it. Running it as an admin helped.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I had to redirect it literally every time, so yeah, I made sure of that.

I mentoned my pains on a City of Heroes global channel and someone suggested reinstalling and turning off the auto-updater. Maybe that'll work.

I don't know about reinstalling the game but you'll definitely want to turn the auto-updater off, yeah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Damnit! Okay, I just completely reinstalled the game, re-applied the Base 8.1 patch, turned the auto-update off this time, and it's still not working, everything is still stupidly blurry. Gonna try the Steam forum this time at least...

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Search for the patched "shaderapidx9.dll" file. I think that's how I fixed the low-resolution UI.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Adraeus posted:

Search for the patched "shaderapidx9.dll" file. I think that's how I fixed the low-resolution UI.

That did it! Was a bit extreme and heavy-handed, but it worked.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Ffffffffuck I forgot how poorly I handle scares. I told myself I'd stop when I finished that hotel quest from the club owner, but I was scared shitless and had to give up halfway through.

That'll teach me to play a game I know is gonna pull out the scares late at night...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lord Lambeth posted:

They had a really slick looking trailer recently that showed they at least have the tone down.

Tone or not, I personally can't play it. MMO's are too much of a time-sink and it's disappointing that the IP headed this route.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Hey so I finished my non-melee run. Turns out the game is even easier with a good gun and Celerity.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanthulhu posted:

Hey so I finished my non-melee run. Turns out the game is even easier with a good gun and Celerity.
Yes, the early guns are terrible, but the later guns get really nice.

DoodleMoogle
Mar 21, 2010

Time to die.
So I bought this game a while back and have been having a ball throughout the entire thing. Not counting when I would get wedged in doors or accidentally render quests unfinishable. But that doesn't matter. What I wanted to ask was what is the best way to kill the Tzimisce boss in the Hallowbrook hotel.
I'm playing a melee/dementation heavy Malkavian so I'm pretty hosed when it comes to dealing with this guy. I've been so used to spamming dementation spells on enemies and letting them kill themselves that I find myself having a hard time with hard hitting bosses like these. Any tips?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DoodleMoogle posted:

So I bought this game a while back and have been having a ball throughout the entire thing. Not counting when I would get wedged in doors or accidentally render quests unfinishable. But that doesn't matter. What I wanted to ask was what is the best way to kill the Tzimisce boss in the Hallowbrook hotel.
I'm playing a melee/dementation heavy Malkavian so I'm pretty hosed when it comes to dealing with this guy. I've been so used to spamming dementation spells on enemies and letting them kill themselves that I find myself having a hard time with hard hitting bosses like these. Any tips?

If you don't have any shame, just use console commands and curse the game for punishing your preference for melee and insanity-bolts.

DoodleMoogle
Mar 21, 2010

Time to die.

McSpanky posted:

If you don't have any shame, just use console commands and curse the game for punishing your preference for melee and insanity-bolts.

At this point I don't mind cheating a little. I swore to myself after the Hollywood sewers that I wouldn't let myself suffer like that again. Would you happen to know the specific command for that fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DoodleMoogle posted:

At this point I don't mind cheating a little. I swore to myself after the Hollywood sewers that I wouldn't let myself suffer like that again. Would you happen to know the specific command for that fight?

http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/vampiretmb.html All the console commands can be found there, my suggestion for quickly getting yourself through any tough area is pretty much a flamethrower and a quickbind to spawn more flamethrower fuel (the flamethrower chews through fuel absurdly quickly). And the ever-popular god mode if you messed up and don't have the most survivable build around, but if you're already using the console codes then you could just reset your stats and respend the points intelligently, anyway.

• Locked thread