Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Before contemplating farm animals, you need to get a dog and a couple of cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

And chickens!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

fork bomb posted:

Before contemplating farm animals, you need to get a dog and a couple of cats.

If he gets any cats there will be no more birdnests in his lawn. For someone advocating not playing eugenics with the eggs its pretty hypocritical to advocate bringing on a ground nesting bird apocalypse.

DB05
Jun 24, 2005
Summer Time
Careful with that cowbird egg:

Wikipedia posted:

It seems that Brown-headed Cowbirds periodically check on their eggs and young after they have deposited them. Removal of the parasitic egg may trigger a retaliatory reaction termed "mafia behavior". According to a study by the Florida Museum of Natural History published in 1983, the cowbird returned to ransack the nests of a range of host species 56% of the time when their egg was removed. In addition, the cowbird also destroyed nests in a type of "farming behavior" to force the hosts to build new ones. The cowbirds then laid their eggs in the new nests 85% of the time

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

echomadman posted:

If he gets any cats there will be no more birdnests in his lawn. For someone advocating not playing eugenics with the eggs its pretty hypocritical to advocate bringing on a ground nesting bird apocalypse.
A lot of dogs will do the same. Not as evil psychopaths as cats but they'll mess up a nest in most cases. Upside with cats is getting rid of rodents that may damage your house.

Back home when I was growing up we always had cats because of the farm. One was a killing machine. He made a pile of dead mice. It was a totem of variously decomposing rodents.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cowbirds are great at keeping mosquitoes down so I'd be willing to give them whatever comforts they want.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I personally think you should get a wife as your first farm animal.

I'm free all summer.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I personally think you should get a wife as your first farm animal.

I'm free all summer.

There's a line, sister. :colbert:

I do think chickens might be a good idea. Just think of the fresh eggs!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Wandering Knitter posted:

Are you accusing madlilnerd of being so old her ovaries have turned to dust?

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Wandering Knitter posted:

Especially if he gets sheep/alpaca - everyone in the spinning/knitting threads will queue up.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Buy a ton of emus and become "that guy with the emus"

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
So between 56 and 18 emus. 1429 to 1111 if you just get eggs.

Get the eggs. You'll have an army of lethal birds. Dumb as bricks probably but really cool.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

hayden. posted:

Emus are so passé. Get an army of cassowaries!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Can I train 2-4 Emus to pull a chariot as a team?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Slung Blade posted:

Can I train 2-4 Emus to pull a chariot as a team?

I don't know... CAN you? :colbert:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can train ostriches!

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Use doves. The trick is to get a lot of them. Then you'll need to install a large lamp behind you so every time you ride your chariot, you'll have a beacon shining your way.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Iskariot posted:

A lot of dogs will do the same. Not as evil psychopaths as cats but they'll mess up a nest in most cases. Upside with cats is getting rid of rodents that may damage your house.

Back home when I was growing up we always had cats because of the farm. One was a killing machine. He made a pile of dead mice. It was a totem of variously decomposing rodents.

My dog catches snakes all summer long. She absolutely is obsessed with hunting them as soon as warm weather comes a long. She's gotten a rabbit and mouse which was ok, but chased all the deer away as well as roaming cats which I'm not so thrilled about.
http://youtu.be/yL0uZ3pvRDU

Video is boring, but shows her attempting to find snakes.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
The cat I spoke of shot off after a loving moose once. Both the moose and I was fairly shocked. He lumbered off once he noticed the cat didn't seem to stop.

He also fought foxes for sport. We only heard cries from the woods and then the cat turned up proud as a motherfucker and torn to shreds. He fought our dogs all the time and mauled me a couple of times as well. Saw him sprint towards a ram once as well but he stopped when the ram looked like he was going to charge.

He was bat-poo poo crazy but I loved him for it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

hayden. posted:

Emus taste great but they can and will leap a 10 foot fence if they get scared by a storm or dogs barking at their enclosure, etc. They also have huge loving spurs and can kick in almost any direction (except for straight backward), and they will eviscerate you if they catch you with them. I almost ended up in the ER with a torn open femoral artery, catching our escaped emus with my family. I was behind the bird with my hands on its neck, and it twisted sideways and kicked back at me, laying open my Carhartts from groin to kneecap and leaving a really nasty scratch the entire way.

I would not raise them again, even though emu steaks are amazing. They're big, dumb, hostile birds. When my dad and I were out camping and they escaped during a thunderstorm while my mom was home alone, my dad just told her over the phone to shoot them in the head so she wouldn't get hurt.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 10, 2012

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

Emus taste great but they can and will leap a 10 foot fence if they get scared by a storm or dogs barking at their enclosure, etc. They also have huge loving spurs and can kick in almost any direction (except for straight backward), and they will eviscerate you if they catch you with them. I almost ended up in the ER with a torn open femoral artery, catching our escaped emus with my family. I was behind the bird with my hands on its neck, and it twisted sideways and kicked back at me, laying open my Carhartts from groin to kneecap and leaving a really nasty scratch the entire way.

I would not raise them again, even though emu steaks are amazing. They're big, dumb, hostile birds. When my dad and I were out camping and they escaped during a thunderstorm while my mom was home alone, my dad just told her over the phone to shoot them in the head so she wouldn't get hurt.

So they're basically super turkeys?

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Ozmiander posted:

So they're basically super turkeys?
Huge turkeys with knives permanently attached to their legs. What could go wrong!

Get emus.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Velociraptors with feathers (velociraptors had feathers as well actually). So basically they're just velociraptors' bigger, heavier cousins.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

So basically they're just velociraptors' bigger, heavier cousins.

I guess even dinosaurs hated their family reunions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

Velociraptors with feathers (velociraptors had feathers as well actually). So basically they're just velociraptors' bigger, heavier cousins.
Pretty much, look one in the eye sometime up close, it's just a big, ugly, furry lizard.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I got nothing to report except holy gently caress it's hot right now. Garden's growing weeds like crazy, and I am trying to fight them back. Bushes doing well.

Also today is my 10th anniversary on the forums. Jesus christ.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How hot is holy gently caress hot up where you are?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Splizwarf posted:

How hot is holy gently caress hot up where you are?

30-35 degrees Celsius.

Which, I know, is nothing to a lot of the more southerly types here.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That works out to 95F, on the low end of holy gently caress hot but definitely acceptable. Especially if that's the actual heat and not the "feels like" heat index temp. I had no idea it got that drat hot that far north; truly, there is nowhere safe. :ohdear:

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
We're getting the same in On, but it's actually going down to 20 or under at night. Almost chilly, and good heat relief when it finally comes around.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

That works out to 95F, on the low end of holy gently caress hot but definitely acceptable. Especially if that's the actual heat and not the "feels like" heat index temp. I had no idea it got that drat hot that far north; truly, there is nowhere safe. :ohdear:
Yesterday they issued a warning saying that it felt more like 40'C with the humidity.

I had to figure out what the humidex was, and then what humidity was. It be dry here. It has always been dry here.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 10, 2012

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yesterday they issued a warning saying that it felt more like 40'C with the humidity.

I had to figure out what the humidex was, and then what humidity was. It be dry here. It has always been dry here.

Usually, yeah.

Also all the swamps and sloughs out here are starting to smell pretty bad. Methane production is way up I guess. The wetland out back of my place seems untouched by that so far though, not sure why.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
We're only a couple degrees C hotter here (just south of you in Northern Idaho), and I totally agree. It's melt your balls off hot right now.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, Alberta's usually really dry. I was shocked to see you guys actually compete with Southern ON for "welp, time to curl up and die".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
We've been getting 105F/100% humidity days for the past month or so until this (rainy) week, in Virginia. :(

It's "gently caress everything" weather.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

100% humidity means you are literally submerged in a lake. You guys are exaggerating :colbert:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

100% humidity means you are literally submerged in a lake. You guys are exaggerating :colbert:

No, 100% humidity means something a little more boring, that the air can't hold any more water vapor at that temperature.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You're both right. A humid day at 100F is probably only 20-30% relative humidity but there is probably as much water in the air as 60F @ 100% humidity :science:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
It is 1am, I've been reading this thread all afternoon/evening, and I am so inspired that I want to get up and start sanding the walls in our entry so I can get to painting. Because Slung Blade is a Badass.

We need to be friends so you can keep me motivated. We bought a house on a corner lot in the city (it's not quite inner-city, but it's a ghetto neighborhood for sure) and it needs so much work that it's overwhelming, but as long as this thread is here I may actually want to work on my house! Thank you, SB. Never stop doing cool stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
This sounds crazy, but this thread and Slung's work and love for his house is what finally pushed my wife and I to take the plunge.