Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

DownByTheWooter posted:

I took it under the guise of the "Military Sportbike Rider Course" (for free). While most of it was basically just doing a lot of riding exercises like day two of the BRC and that most of it was not particularly challenging (we did a decreasing radius turn circle which was only good because I was actually pushing myself but was pretty tame if you were just going through the motions and a realllllly exaggerated offset weave that actually now that I remember was pretty tough until I learned the rhythm of the exercise), I will say that the coaches that I had were really helpful. In particular, I learned a lot regarding my riding position and the way I can improve how well I manipulate the bike with foot and head placement. I would guess that your mileage would vary based on how proactive the coaches are with actually coaching.

I don't know if I would have been willing to plunk down $125 for it, but for free I was more than glad to spend a Saturday doing it.

If you don't have it, check out from a library or buy a copy of Proficient Motorcycling - excellent book on riding on the street. I spent most of the book thinking to myself, "yeah, these are things I already know from daily riding for a few years" but it would be awesome awesome stuff for a beginning motorcyclist to learn from a book rather than to learn from having the poo poo scared out of you/having a minor get-off or two like I did.

You did it on a saturday? Oh man, I did all my motorcycle classes during the work week. I didn't even know they did the navy courses on the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Well, when I took the MSRC, I was stationed here in Naples, so they schedule it based on when they can get enough coaches to facilitate - obviously most of them are military or DoN civilians, so I'd say about half the courses happen on weekends.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rowe posted:

How important is it to drill holes for the locating pins of the controls on a set of handlebars? I got some new ones in but the only bike shop here is severely backed up on work and it seems like a fairly simple install aside from the drilling. I know they help prevent the controls from rotating around the handlebars but I didn't have any on the HD Sportster I had previously and never had an issue.

You can use tape instead.

An observer posted:

Thanks! What about health insurance?

It's good to have it but no one's gonna stop you. You should be covered for any sort of normal riding, and track riding, although the only place things get hit or miss is with life flights. If you're planning on tracking the bike or riding twisties aggressively, there's a CalStar and Enloe and another company I can't recall the name of who provide cheap life flight insurance...like $30-50 a year.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I took a tight, medium-low speed corner in my SV yesterday and felt the front tire scrub out for a second. No gravel or sand, Pilot Road 2's with plenty of life, so I'm sure I did something wrong. What'd I do wrong?

Rowe
May 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

You can use tape instead.

So just wrap it around the handlebars for a snug fit with the controls?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I took a tight, medium-low speed corner in my SV yesterday and felt the front tire scrub out for a second. No gravel or sand, Pilot Road 2's with plenty of life, so I'm sure I did something wrong. What'd I do wrong?

There are many times when I "feel" traction is low even if the tire is sticking fine all the time. Did you feel the handlebars move / lose resistance? You probably did nothing wrong.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How's the profile of the tire? If you carried more lean angle than usual and your tires are flatspotted, the bike can feel very odd as it hits the peak between the flat spot and the normal tire profile.

Could have also just been a patched or slick spot on the pavement. There are plenty of things that can compromise traffic that aren't really noticeable from the bike.

On the tape, yeah, a solid loop or 2 of tape will lock controls in nicely normally.

Rowe
May 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

On the tape, yeah, a solid loop or 2 of tape will lock controls in nicely normally.

Awesome, thanks!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Cool, thanks. I felt something weird and my heart went up into my throat for a second, but I guess that kind of thing is just part of getting better as a rider.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I don't know if anyone has any carb syncing experience, but I found these for like $75. Are they worth it? Or could I just sync as well with a normal vacuum gauge? A normal gauge is only like $30.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

KozmoNaut posted:

How do you shift?

You need to put pressure on the shifter before you pull the clutch lever. Then as you pull the lever, put more pressure on the shifter and follow through. You should be firm and committed on the shifter, not too light nor too forceful. Clutching back in should be smooth and balanced with getting back on the throttle.

I was taught this during my sidecar training, as I had to ride an old BMW R80G/S that wouldn't shift at all unless you preloaded the shifter. I do it on my Bandit as well, now. If I don't, it sometimes doesn't want to shift from 4th to 5th.

I first completely close the throttle, then pull the clutch all the way in and pop the shifter up and let out the clutch slower to allow it to engage the gear smoothly. My issue is I don't put enough pressure on it due to funky angles with my lovely left leg/foot.

I am going to definitely try putting pressure up on the shifter before I pull the clutch as well as making my changes more forceful.

Thanks for the input.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Boru posted:

I don't know if anyone has any carb syncing experience, but I found these for like $75. Are they worth it? Or could I just sync as well with a normal vacuum gauge? A normal gauge is only like $30.

This article might be useful.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_synchronize_the_carburetors%3F

I realize it's geared toward the Ninja 250, but it could be of some help. I have never synced any carbs before but this article definitely helped me understand how it works, etc.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ah. Work emails calmed down... Time to go for a...

Oh god damnit.

Manual says I can patch it. (Says not to if it's a sidewall or the puncture is 6mm or more) Tire is a Shinko Advance 005 which I'm told are pretty decent all rounders. Shouldn't have much more than 2k on it. Previous owner had it installed not long before I bought it.

Advice?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 6, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Boru posted:

Those are good, I have a set. Just make sure you use the little restrictor valves they come with. Don't lose those. I had to buy some more from a fish tank supply place online when I lost mine. What do you mean by a normal vacuum gauge?

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Ziploc posted:

Manual says I can patch it.
Advice?

My current tire has four patches in it from nails (and one toothpick, no poo poo). Pull it off and patch it from the inside; you probably won't feel any problems at all from it even if you don't rebalance it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bixington posted:

My current tire has four patches in it from nails (and one toothpick, no poo poo). Pull it off and patch it from the inside; you probably won't feel any problems at all from it even if you don't rebalance it.

This is something I want to do myself? Or take the wheel off and take it to someone?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shops generally wont patch tires, due to liability. Nor will they mount patched tires.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Shops generally wont patch tires, due to liability. Nor will they mount patched tires.

loving lawyers. I got a tire plugged a few thousand miles ago, still holding strong. Taking that tire on the Eurotrip. You can buy a kit and DIY it but need a compressor.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Use the umbrella type for maximum pluggability.

Ola posted:

loving lawyers. I got a tire plugged a few thousand miles ago, still holding strong. Taking that tire on the Eurotrip. You can buy a kit and DIY it but need a compressor.

:):hf::) plugged tyre buddy!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My very new expensive tire already had 2 plugs in it after only having it a few months. Just go buy a plug kit and plug it up, takes 5 minutes. If you don't have a compressor, do it at the gas station. I am a giant nerd and carry around a compressor with me.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Those are good, I have a set. Just make sure you use the little restrictor valves they come with. Don't lose those. I had to buy some more from a fish tank supply place online when I lost mine. What do you mean by a normal vacuum gauge?

I was thinking of a valve just like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20250-Compression-Tester/dp/B0009OMYH4/ref=acc_glance_auto_ai_ps_t_3. Although re-reading the entry in the manual and looking at the part again, I now realize that it doesn't have the right adapter, and I would need to buy multiple gauges so I wouldn't have to play with vacuum plugs.

I'll probably end up going with that 4 gauge tool you recommended, although if I do I fear it may prove to be a gateway drug into motorcycle tinkering! :catdrugs:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Internet research has told me that internal plugs are the best bet short of replacing the rear tire all together. There's a shop real close by that will do it for 45$. So I'm going to go that route.

Crossing fingers!

These guys look like a good place to take it to as well: http://www.dualsportplus.com/

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 6, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Boru posted:

I was thinking of a valve just like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20250-Compression-Tester/dp/B0009OMYH4/ref=acc_glance_auto_ai_ps_t_3. Although re-reading the entry in the manual and looking at the part again, I now realize that it doesn't have the right adapter, and I would need to buy multiple gauges so I wouldn't have to play with vacuum plugs.

I'll probably end up going with that 4 gauge tool you recommended, although if I do I fear it may prove to be a gateway drug into motorcycle tinkering! :catdrugs:
Naw, compression testers and vacuum gauges are different things. You want the first thing you linked. And unless you're going to be working only on dirt bikes or something, you want at least a 2-gauge system.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Naw, compression testers and vacuum gauges are different things. You want the first thing you linked. And unless you're going to be working only on dirt bikes or something, you want at least a 2-gauge system.

Ok that makes sense. So is it worth actually investing in a good tool for the job? A few buddies are trying to get me to build my own like this: http://www.zclub.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=928&test=test

But I don't think I have the skill level for that. I would rather invest money to actually have the tool for future use I think. Someone else said that the Monroe is good investment too: http://www.carbtune.co.uk/index.html

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Thanks to my puncture (which thankfully was a slow leak that ran down at home) I'm paranoid about it happening when I'm not expecting it. I was thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Mini-Air-Compressor/dp/B0033B7VPK

I have an air compressor in my car, and it's saved my rear end twice as well as helped other people who I've seen with slow leaks/flats in parking lots.

I ~think~ this should fit under my Bandit's seat. Anyone else carry flat recovery gear?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ziploc posted:

I ~think~ this should fit under my Bandit's seat. Anyone else carry flat recovery gear?

I carry a cheap patch/plug kit with a co2 inflator when I'm doing long rides or will be in the middle of no where but for general commuting I will rely on AAA if I have any issues.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Ziploc posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Mini-Air-Compressor/dp/B0033B7VPK

I have an air compressor in my car, and it's saved my rear end twice as well as helped other people who I've seen with slow leaks/flats in parking lots.

I carry -
a small pump similar to yours
a tire plug kit like this - http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K/ref=pd_sim_auto_3
and I've put it to work three times already, once on my own bike, once on another guys BMW tourer and once on a big HD bagger. All three repairs were on the rear, and we were all at least two hours from home when they happened. /shrug

Obviously, this isn't the ideal way to repair the tire, but it will get you home.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I got a 12v compressor to sort out the bike's tires being flat in storage and thinking I'd bring it on the road. Obviously I'd need some plugging kit as well, which I will get. But it took a serious toll on my battery. I have just bought a new one as the old was dead after 2 winters of neglect, the new one might handle it fine. But it would suck to fix a flat in the sticks like a Pirsig champion only to find out the bike won't crank when you're ready to go.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Ola posted:

I got a 12v compressor to sort out the bike's tires being flat in storage and thinking I'd bring it on the road. Obviously I'd need some plugging kit as well, which I will get. But it took a serious toll on my battery. I have just bought a new one as the old was dead after 2 winters of neglect, the new one might handle it fine. But it would suck to fix a flat in the sticks like a Pirsig champion only to find out the bike won't crank when you're ready to go.

I agree. I leave the bike running when the compressor is on. :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

Just get one of those small double action bicycle pumps with the reversible tip that fits on motorcycle tire valves as well. I can pump bicycle tires to ~5 bar with mine, I see no reason why you can't put ~2.5 bar in a motorcycle tire with it. It will take you about 10 minutes of pumping, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KozmoNaut posted:

It will take you about 10 minutes of pumping, though.

Probably longer than that unless you are some sort of bicycle pumping machine. There's a lot more volume in a typical motorcycle tire than in any bicycle tire (this is where somebody posts a picture of the biggest bicycle ever because my phrasing was unqualified).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm skeptical to keeping the bike at charging revs, while stationary, while you are trying to set a mushroom plug, then inflating it, then finding out something's wrong, then trying again, in very hot weather. So...

KozmoNaut posted:

Just get one of those small double action bicycle pumps with the reversible tip that fits on motorcycle tire valves as well.

Yes! This is exactly what I thought. Manual, old school stuff. Low tech, high usability. Always works.

KozmoNaut posted:

It will take you about 10 minutes of pumping, though.

Uhh....gently caress it. The battery is just going to have to deal with it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Ola posted:

I'm skeptical to keeping the bike at charging revs, while stationary, while you are trying to set a mushroom plug, then inflating it, then finding out something's wrong, then trying again, in very hot weather. So...

Yes! This is exactly what I thought. Manual, old school stuff. Low tech, high usability. Always works.

Uhh....gently caress it. The battery is just going to have to deal with it.

Why would you leave the bike running while you changed the tire though? He's saying while you pump it up not while you mess with the wheel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

(this is where somebody posts a picture of the biggest bicycle ever because my phrasing was unqualified).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My hands are huge. What are my options for aftermarket grips? The stock Bandit ones are basically the width of the bar. I put an r6 throttle tube on my SV and I really liked the width of that.

I mean, I could, uh, always put an R6 throttle tube on the Bandit... right? :ninja:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

JP Money posted:

Why would you leave the bike running while you changed the tire though? He's saying while you pump it up not while you mess with the wheel.

Well no, you wouldn't, but I guess my post gave that impression. You need air pressure to set the mushroom plug, which might take a little bit of fiddling. Then you fill it up, check for leaks etc. So not constantly on, but on quite a bit, revved up, stationary. But totally worth it compared to the same air pressure requirements in the same ambient temp with a manual pump.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Even still, you can just leave the bike in neutral and start it up while you air it up to seat the plug. Definitely a better option than a hand pump if you can find the room enough to store an electric pump in a saddle bag or something. I actually just bought a cheapie Slime brand pump for like 10 or 15 bucks at walmart to fill up car tires and stuff. Works great on bike tires as well and doesn't have a big footprint imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

I mean, I could, uh, always put an R6 throttle tube on the Bandit... right? :ninja:

Yep, if I know Suzuki, the Bandit and the SV probably share throttle tubes anyway.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just signed up for a motorcycle safety/license endorsement course that takes place next week. I have been wanting to do this for years and I look forward to getting endorsed.
I don't have a cycle of any kind at the moment but I am looking to have something to take around town ie on surface streets and would continue to drive my truck whenever I leave the city.
I've rode scooters and dirt bikes around before but I'm not sure that I want a scooter per se any more than I want a "crotch-rocket" or harley.
What's a good motorcycle for a beginner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bobthedinosaur posted:

What's a good motorcycle for a beginner?

A Kawasaki Ninja 250 or a Suzuki GS 500.