Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

David Pratt posted:

Tried to get the sky looking like the Martian sky on this one:

155/366 - The Martian Surface by fuglsnef, on Flickr

I find the purple sky distracting. I guess the sky could look like that sometimes with the right scattering, but most of the time Mars will have a yellowish/brown sky. That's extreme nitpicking, I know, but I just find that purple to be very artificial looking. The rest of the picture is good, though I get the sense that we've lost the scale of the mountains in the back. Where was it taken? It reminds me of Mauna Kea.

I like this a lot, the exposure and flow of the water gives it a great mood.

quote:

157/366 - Venus by fuglsnef, on Flickr

I like this one as well, except that I wish that the sun and clouds had a bit more features in them. Maybe combining two exposures would have done the trick?

Trip to Hawaii last month.

IMG_4505 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

I've been trying and having very little luck getting good star shots. I can't seem to find a good foreground object ever and my stars just seem blah.

IMG_4680 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

JCMT by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kiri koli posted:

I've been trying and having very little luck getting good star shots. I can't seem to find a good foreground object ever and my stars just seem blah.

Maybe try dropping your iso down? It seems like you've got a ton of noise going on in that shot. Sure you'll lose some stars, but it'll probably look a bit more natural.

The white balance can probably be tweaked to get rid of that reddish tint too.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

quote:

IMG_4505 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

JCMT by Kiri koli, on Flickr

1) The processing on the shot is pretty; good green saturation without anything being too bold, and the light balance is good. Despite that though the subject doesn't stand out at all and I barely noticed it. The photo is okay as a snapshot without the subject, but the subjects lack of dominance really hurts the photo.

2) Stop shooting at 1600 iso. That white balance is also bad. Don't feel the need to keep foreground objects in star shots; mountainous horizons and silhouettes are just as good.

3) I like abstract shots. The convergence of lines in the bottom right is nice, but it bugs me that it doesn't line up quite right. You should also try burning the highlights to see if you can get anything out of that bright spot.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Kiri koli posted:

I find the purple sky distracting. I guess the sky could look like that sometimes with the right scattering, but most of the time Mars will have a yellowish/brown sky. That's extreme nitpicking, I know, but I just find that purple to be very artificial looking. The rest of the picture is good, though I get the sense that we've lost the scale of the mountains in the back. Where was it taken? It reminds me of Mauna Kea.

Looking at more pictures from the surface you're right. I had it in my mind that it was really pink but it's definitely more muted. It was taken in Žingvellir national park in Iceland.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Kiri koli posted:

Yeah, I find the foreground in this one kind of distracting, especially the shadow. I feel like it would be a lot better with just the mountains there in silhouette. Also echoing Mr. Despair: Shoot at a lower iso, you shouldn't need to crank it that high to get some decent stars.

Got my first roll of 120 film back today, be gentle. :ohdear:

Gran's Orchid by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Stobo Water Garden Sapling 2 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Stobo Water Garden Cascades by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TomR posted:

And then it did rain.

2012-240 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Cross-posted from the "other" thread.

Beautiful use of the light, slow enough shutter to get the rain, and that model you call a child hit the perfect pose/expression.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 8, 2012

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Thanks torgeaux. I let her pick the outfit.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This is a great "taked to PAD for critique" example (and a good photo), but it would be cool if people included "crossposted from badthread (or whatever)" in the quote.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

This is beautiful. In the future, I am not sure about the amount of light directly above your subject, I think it draws the eye away. Additionally the top left quarter is pretty much all dead space and I think it kind of detracts from the photo.

The colors are beautiful though, and the focus is spot on. Good job.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Cross-posted from the "other" thread.

Beautiful use of the light, slow enough shutter to get the rain, and that model you call a child hit the perfect pose/expression.

The wet pavement and perfect DOF really make this a fantastic picture.

Field behind my house:

tree-in-field3 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dowdy_pants posted:

Field behind my house:

I like the silhouette and the soft, pastel shades in the sky. The foreground is really distracting though. It's too bright/saturated and looks unnatural and really jarring next to the great sky. Plus I can see where you've been brushing and missed parts (the bottom left corner especially.)

Banks Peninsula 4 by euannz, on Flickr

Dandy Cheddar
Oct 9, 2007

Unfortunately, she dropped her camera, cried, and went back to writing blogs about Ayn Rand and heroin-chic modelling. And also lost a mod challenge.

Wafflecopper posted:

I like the silhouette and the soft, pastel shades in the sky. The foreground is really distracting though. It's too bright/saturated and looks unnatural and really jarring next to the great sky. Plus I can see where you've been brushing and missed parts (the bottom left corner especially.)

Banks Peninsula 4 by euannz, on Flickr

I really like the depth of field in this photo and the composition is nice. The vignette works in this photo - adds a nice dreamy quality to the picture. I'm just a beginner so I can't really provide a great critique for you because I don't really know what I'm looking for. I can say, however, this is pleasing to the eye. The high ISO creates a bit of noise but it doesn't take away from the photo...actually looks kinda subtle and cool. Gives it a vintage feel.

Here's one I did with a friend's band's album cover in mind. While I like some aspects of it and it was fun to paint a cap gun with spray paint, it didn't turn out as well as I hoped.

DSC_0046 by Jordan M Zephyr E, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dandy Cheddar posted:

I really like the depth of field in this photo and the composition is nice. The vignette works in this photo - adds a nice dreamy quality to the picture. I'm just a beginner so I can't really provide a great critique for you because I don't really know what I'm looking for. I can say, however, this is pleasing to the eye. The high ISO creates a bit of noise but it doesn't take away from the photo...actually looks kinda subtle and cool. Gives it a vintage feel.

Here's one I did with a friend's band's album cover in mind. While I like some aspects of it and it was fun to paint a cap gun with spray paint, it didn't turn out as well as I hoped.

DSC_0046 by Jordan M Zephyr E, on Flickr

Think more about the composition of this. Why are you shooting it at an angle? Why are his hands cut off? Why is it shot at that height? What are you trying to emphasize?

Additionally, because it is a black and white shot, and everything in the shot appears to be white, everything blends together to create the uniform grey. Think about changing the lighting to provide some contrast, or changing the wardrobe.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
e: Wrong thread.

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 9, 2012

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 29, 2020

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

dowdy_pants posted:

Field behind my house:

I really like this, compositionally, but something seems really unnatural about it for such a natural subject. The green grass in front is really brightly lit, whereas the tree is almost black..it makes me think that there's two light sources (which very well may be the case) and is messing with my mind a little bit. Overall, a good picture I just wish the tree was more in line with the rest of it, tonally.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

This is really too yellow. And because the grass is so saturated it's chopping the flow of the photo at the very bottom. If it's possible I would retake and move up 15/20 feet so there isn't any green foliage, or photoshop it out. If you want to keep it, balance them with each other.

Sponge tool on the red. Or you could crop the photo just where the shadow of your head is, and keep everything up, focusing on the stars. If not, I can still see your shadow. Love night shots though, I like this one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/penpal/7169639595/

another from the winter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/penpal/6953920623/

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 9, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The snow looks greenish yellow. It should be white, so I think your white balance is off.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The snow looks fine for me?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Nope.

It's a really nice shot. The girls are framed well by the trees and there's a ton of personality in their expressions. The snow falling in front of the trees looks really good too.

The foggy shot of the water has a nice mood to it too, but I wish the sky or the water was favoured more. I think simpler shots like these are a bit more demanding of bolder composition choices.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 10, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

If the original looks fine to you, or aliencowboy's edited version seems to you to have bad colours, you should calibrate your monitor. Windows 7 has a tool to do basic adjustment built in, search for "calibrate display" in control panel.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I am reading this thread on a circa-2006 macbook, so I'm sure the colors are far from exact. I can see some difference in the two versions aliencowboy posted, but I don't know that I'd necessarily prefer the whiter version.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I like how the person is framed by the white thing and the eye is lead nicely by the crossing, but I still think there is too much going on in the image and the guy is a little small. You could crop it just above the O'Hara's sign and I think that would make it stronger.

-----

Too blue?

Disappearing Act by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

e: wasn't straight :ohdear:

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 10, 2012

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

No, but crop the left to make the trees even on both sides.

e: On second though, ignore me. I put my hand up over it to check and it looks funky like that. I thought you were going for symmetry (my word of the month, I swear), but I can see that it's probably not actually about that...

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 10, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

No, but crop the left to make the trees even on both sides.

e: On second though, ignore me. I put my hand up over it to check and it looks funky like that. I thought you were going for symmetry (my word of the month, I swear), but I can see that it's probably not actually about that...
Yeah if I crop for the trees the road is off centre but not a good off centre :/

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I like this a lot- I think your composition is pretty good as the horizon sits almost perfectly along the bottom third of the frame. The only suggestion that I would have would be to add a little more contrast in the water to emphasize the nice textures hiding down there. Not sure if that would kill the bleak mood of the shot though.

also an older one that i've always kind of liked.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 11, 2012

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010
This is one of my first photographs, I don't yet have an eye to tell whether it's good or trash yet. I'd love to hear what you guys think, maybe you can help me make the next shots better. I think if anything the sky in this picture maybe should have been cropped out and the unintentional lens flare is a little obnoxious. The colors maybe are a bit oversaturated.

As for the picture above mine by Augmented Dickey with the valve thing, I think it'd be a lot more compelling without the white blob distracting away from the background, and maybe if there were some way to pull up the darks just a little.

Nikon D5100 with AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G Lens in AUTO mode.

Voronoi Potato fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 10, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the colors are quite nice.

The problems with it are mostly composition related. There's no subject really, it's just some trees, grass, and part of a road. The trees and grass certainly look nice enough and the clouds are always good.. but there's not really any place where it's comfortable for the eyes to settle and enjoy the photo. The sliver of a lake is kind of distracting also.

An example of what might have worked is maybe have someone sit on the railing, step to the right about 10-15 feet, and take the picture.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Voronoi Potato posted:

This is one of my first photographs, I don't yet have an eye to tell whether it's good or trash yet. I'd love to hear what you guys think, maybe you can help me make the next shots better. I think if anything the sky in this picture maybe should have been cropped out and the unintentional lens flare is a little obnoxious. The colors maybe are a bit oversaturated.

As for the picture above mine by Augmented Dickey with the valve thing, I think it'd be a lot more compelling without the white blob distracting away from the background, and maybe if there were some way to pull up the darks just a little.

Nikon D5100 with AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G Lens in AUTO mode.

To expand on xzzy, you have some leading lines, strong lines, in the road/rail. But they lead the eye away from everything, not to any subject. Then, it's obvious, there is no subject.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 28, 2019

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010

torgeaux posted:

To expand on xzzy, you have some leading lines, strong lines, in the road/rail. But they lead the eye away from everything, not to any subject. Then, it's obvious, there is no subject.

Thanks Torgeaux, I was wondering what he meant exactly and that makes much more sense. I'll keep posting here and hopefully I'll get better.

This is a picture of some fruit on my desk. I know the composition is bad but I don't really know how to make it better and still hold focus with such strong DOF. Is it possible to crop the picture in a more interesting way or should I keep trying to shoot it at different angles?

As for the picture before mine, I don't really know if I have the skill level to critique it, but have you tried cropping out the dark space on the right of the photograph? I've been looking at it for a few minutes both zoomed in and out, and I think if maybe you cropped out some of the vertical and some of the right aligned space it might make it more compelling. That being said I love it, and I think it's a beautiful photograph.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Jose Pointero posted:

Hmm, I guess SaD is gone? Man, I've been away for a while...

Anyway, I'm catching up on scanning a backlog of film. My cheap scanner (OpticFilm 7300) gives me inconsistent results, weird color balance and makes everything look super-grainy; so basically I just scan it in, and try to get it looking comparable to the prints that came with the roll. Then I tweak it a bit and remove the hundreds of scratches and little "stars" that are always there.

This is the first one in a few rolls that has really grabbed me, I can't really put my finger on why. The pink everywhere (it's my grandma's house) mixed with the indoor light colors and the sunshine through the window just give it a real mellow, peaceful feel. Looks pretty sharp (I freakin' love this lens, Pentax M 50 1.4) and the grain doesn't distract much even though it is considerable. The color is strange, but that's how it came up in the print too, and in this case I think it works out well.

I dunno, what do y'all think? Click for big, of course.

060512film10 by Me Likey Tacos, on Flickr

e: moved it to Flikr

I reaaaly like everything about the composition and setting of this shot...but the grain seems a bit out of control in the shadows. I know you mentioned that it didn't bother you but it just doesn't look like 'nice' grain to me.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 11, 2012

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jose Pointero posted:

I love the palette and soft lighting. The lady on the couch doesn't look very relaxed though. She's all hunched up and seems to be aware of the camera. If she were more stretched out and sleeping peacefully I think it'd fit the mood of the rest of the photo better. Also what Augmented Dickey said about the grain.

Wellington 2 by euannz, on Flickr

Wellington 3 by euannz, on Flickr

I'm not quite sure about how to edit this one. The photo overall looks better in B&W but the subject gets a little lost. (In colour the other foliage is all green but the subject is bare and silvery.) I'd like to make it stand out more but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Wellington 4 by euannz, on Flickr

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 11, 2012

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

dowdy_pants posted:

Field behind my house:

I'm in the crowd of people that will say I like this. I like it because it's unnatural looking. I've seen a field with a tree about 1,000,000,000,000 times I feel like so this almost cartoon/computer generated look is neat. It's not HDR-glowfest so I'm happy with it.

If you were trying to make it look realistic then you failed hard.

Here's some photos from my vacation:

Sailboat by benisntfunny, on Flickr

Dianie by benisntfunny, on Flickr

View from Chimney Rock by benisntfunny, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Jose Pointero posted:

Anyway, I'm catching up on scanning a backlog of film. My cheap scanner (OpticFilm 7300) gives me inconsistent results, weird color balance and makes everything look super-grainy; so basically I just scan it in, and try to get it looking comparable to the prints that came with the roll. Then I tweak it a bit and remove the hundreds of scratches and little "stars" that are always there.

This is the first one in a few rolls that has really grabbed me, I can't really put my finger on why. The pink everywhere (it's my grandma's house) mixed with the indoor light colors and the sunshine through the window just give it a real mellow, peaceful feel. Looks pretty sharp (I freakin' love this lens, Pentax M 50 1.4) and the grain doesn't distract much even though it is considerable. The color is strange, but that's how it came up in the print too, and in this case I think it works out well.

I dunno, what do y'all think? Click for big, of course.

I like that she doesn't look very relaxed or natural, but that is kind of my thing. I love the colours, I think it suits the image really nicely and the one colour scheme makes it seem a bit eerie. I don't like the part of the wall that juts into the frame on the left though. It's not completely vertical and feels like it cramps the space in a bit for me. I'd crop it out and tilt the picture slightly clockwise as it seems a touch off vertical at the moment.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

I really like this one. It feels like a snapshot from a TV show or something. It would be better if all the silhouettes were separated, but other than that it's technically strong. I like the color of your sky/whole image really and I like the way the "lines" in the grass leads us toward the sun.

It's my favorite followed by the purple sky one.

--

This was really just me testing my new 60D under lovely conditions. really happy with the upgrade from the Rebel XT, this thing is amazing! Anyway, who doesn't like ducklings!!

Quack1 by king colliwog, on Flickr

Quack4 by king colliwog, on Flickr

Tried something different for this one.

Quack2 by king colliwog, on Flickr

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 28, 2019

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

Tried something different for this one.

Quack2 by king colliwog, on Flickr

I like the color on this one a lot more than the previous two. It goes from being a pretty generic but nice photo of some ducks to having this sort of dreamy feel that makes it feel a lot more distinct and interesting.

Here's some more from the model shoot I did last weekend. This time I tried to see how versatile I could be with black and white and hopefully use it to match/enhance the mood of the photo the same way I tried to with my previous color set.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I really like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Wafflecopper posted:

I love the palette and soft lighting. The lady on the couch doesn't look very relaxed though. She's all hunched up and seems to be aware of the camera. If she were more stretched out and sleeping peacefully I think it'd fit the mood of the rest of the photo better. Also what Augmented Dickey said about the grain.

Wellington 2 by euannz, on Flickr

This is really great, how many exposures did you use here?