Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

astr0man posted:

As long as it's not a giant Boba Fett/Mandalorian circle jerk it might be OK. It's not like star wars video games can get any worse after TFU.

Considering the amount of minor factions, races and professions as well as two completely different major factions (Mighty but awkward Imperials, weak but stealthy Rebels) it has been killing me for years that we haven't had a Star Wars open world RPG set between the first two or last two movies of the original trilogy.

You can even have Jedi. Of course they wouldn't have the bullshit trappings of the prequals but who cares. Jedi were always better when nobody knew much about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

astr0man posted:

It's not like star wars video games can get any worse after TFU.

Famous last words.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone else hoping this 1313 may be that original trilogy open world RPG some of us have been pining for?

I mean, I know the chances are happening are slim but...
Hoping? Yes. Expecting? No. Why? Lucas.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hoping? Yes. Expecting? No. Why? Lucas.

You don't have George to kick around anymore.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So, wondering what 1313 is?

Star Wars 1313 Gameplay Video

Still watching, so I don't know what the game really is yet, but it's described as gritty, hardcore, and mature rated. And apparently takes place in the darker parts of Coruscant.

edit: Well, just finished it. Still don't really know what kind of game it is, but it seems to be 3rd person action adventure. Like Mass Effect. And it looks amazing. And so far, no main characters in sight. I'm actually excited about a Star Wars game, for the time being. *fingers crossed*

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 5, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sounds like a gritty Star Wars meets space Lethal Weapon in the city underworld with RPG light shooty bits.

Looks kind of appealing really. I'm okay with this.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Still watching, so I don't know what the game really is yet, but it's described as gritty, hardcore, and mature rated. And apparently takes place in the darker parts of Coruscant.

edit: Well, just finished it. Still don't really know what kind of game it is, but it seems to be 3rd person action adventure. Like Mass Effect.

So what you're saying is, it's an entire game based around the Nar Shaddaa level of Jedi Knight 2?

I think I can deal with this.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

OriginalPseudonym posted:

So what you're saying is, it's an entire game based around the Nar Shaddaa level of Jedi Knight 2?

I think I can deal with this.

You mean balancing on ledges, trying to see your way through black on slightly less black maps, and gameplay that was Doom 3-esque looking back on it now?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Well, just finished it. Still don't really know what kind of game it is, but it seems to be 3rd person action adventure. Like Mass Effect. And it looks amazing. And so far, no main characters in sight. I'm actually excited about a Star Wars game, for the time being. *fingers crossed*

Had to watch that without sound cause I'm at work but it looks pretty cool. Did they give any info about who the protagonist is or when this game is set?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Whoever he is, fingers crossed he isn't force sensitive.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Lightsaber > Flashlight

I say this from a gameplay perspective, as well as someone who had bought the JK2 Collectors Edition with strobing lightsaber keychain.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Whoever he is, fingers crossed he isn't force sensitive.

If he isn't Force sensitive in this one, he will be in the hypothetical sequel.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thwomp posted:

You mean balancing on ledges, trying to see your way through black on slightly less black maps, and gameplay that was Doom 3-esque looking back on it now?

I was never sure how much of that was the game and how much of that was my buggy graphics card, tbh. I do like the idea of having a vertical level that shows off the "height" of Coruscant, though, especially if they give you a jetpack and a sniper rifle. :3:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Star Wars games, did anybody ever play the Jango Fett game, Bounty Hunter? I was clearing out some stuff earlier and I found the old Prima strategy guide for it. While it's been years since I played it (or any other computer game, for that matter) I seem to recall it was reasonably good.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I personally love what the Star wars IP does with it's audio books. I love how it is actually DIFFERENT from reading the standard book with all the things they add like sound effects and music, and the voice actors they use are often really talented at replicating movie character voices and create voices for their expanded universe characters that are actually plausible instead of reading everything in a dispassionate voice.

Most recently I listened to the entire Fate of the Jedi series and I really enjoyed it. Marc Thompson narrates all of them and it makes a great series because this guy is loving talented. His Han Solo is ridiculously accurate. He does a great job and the series, as a whole is really enjoyable to listen too. Anybody else have good experience with the audio books in the EU?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of Star Wars games, did anybody ever play the Jango Fett game, Bounty Hunter? I was clearing out some stuff earlier and I found the old Prima strategy guide for it. While it's been years since I played it (or any other computer game, for that matter) I seem to recall it was reasonably good.
I played it and found the controls to be ridiculously clunky, but other people's opinions are more favourable.

AcidRonin posted:

Anybody else have good experience with the audio books in the EU?
I've discovered that the comics in particular have good audio adaptations. I've only listened to a few, but they all had multiple voice actors and no narrator*, relying on dialogue and sound effects to actually tell the story.

*except for the opening crawl and occasionally an epilogue

Wade
May 11, 2009

I'm hip

thrawn527 posted:

What little gameplay was shown gave me a definite Uncharted feel, which to me at least is fantastic. I love the Uncharted games and if this game can play and look as good as those while still being Star Wars it will be a definite day one purchase for me.

Stoked for Uncharted 4: Greedo's Fortune.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope Lucasarts has taken notice of how much everyone hates Bioware right now, and develops accordingly.

AcidRonin posted:

I personally love what the Star wars IP does with it's audio books. I love how it is actually DIFFERENT from reading the standard book with all the things they add like sound effects and music, and the voice actors they use are often really talented at replicating movie character voices and create voices for their expanded universe characters that are actually plausible instead of reading everything in a dispassionate voice.

Most recently I listened to the entire Fate of the Jedi series and I really enjoyed it. Marc Thompson narrates all of them and it makes a great series because this guy is loving talented. His Han Solo is ridiculously accurate. He does a great job and the series, as a whole is really enjoyable to listen too. Anybody else have good experience with the audio books in the EU?
My problem is that they didn't start doing unabridged audiobooks until recently, so all their old stuff is horribly cut down to where they'd be condensing 10 hours into 3.5. Also awful poo poo like FOTJ gets unabridged audio, and Zahn's latest stuff hasn't made it to audio at all.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Metal Loaf posted:

I liked Bounty Hunter a lot but I was terrible at it and could never get very far into the game. From what I remember I might have gotten like a third of the way through but after that I would just die and die and die.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.
I'm thinking of trying audiobooks sometime. Is there one for Shatterpoint?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Crimson Dragoon posted:

I'm thinking of trying audiobooks sometime. Is there one for Shatterpoint?

There is. It seemed to end very very abruptly and left me with a real "What? That's it?" feeling.
A few years later I had a chance to browse through the actual novel and found the audio version had cut the last chapter, which resolved things a lot more meaningfully. Since then I try not to listen to abridged SW audiobooks anymore.

For those who have the book, the audiobook ends after the huge grueling duel between Mace Windu and Kar Vastor simply with Mace saying "Kar Vastor, you are under arrest", followed by the credits.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 6, 2012

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

There is. It seemed to end very very abruptly and left me with a real "What? That's it?" feeling.
A few years later I had a chance to browse through the actual book and found the audio version had cut the last chapter, which resolved things a lot more meaningfully. Since then I try not to listen to abridged SW audiobooks anymore.

The Star by Star audiobook cut out the entire Battle of Coruscant...which was the main focus of the book.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Do the audiobooks just read the books, or have they been rescripted to allow it to be "radio drama"?

I only ask because the NPR radio drama versions of Episodes 4-6 spoiled me in the extreme. Anything else like that but based off an EU book would be tits.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Do the audiobooks just read the books, or have they been rescripted to allow it to be "radio drama"?

I only ask because the NPR radio drama versions of Episodes 4-6 spoiled me in the extreme. Anything else like that but based off an EU book would be tits.
The Jedi Knight, Dark Empire, Crimson Empire, and Tales of the Jedi audiobooks are like this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

thrawn527 posted:

I know I previously swore off ever buying anything Star Wars related again if only to protect my own sanity...

But damnit if Al Pacino wasn't on the ball in Godfather III: "As soon as you try to get out, they pull you back in!"

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

AcidRonin posted:

I've read no books, only listened to audiobooks, and I agree that it adds a lot. The Star Wars sounds really keep you involved. And yes, they have some fantastic narrators. I posted a couple of pages back, but Darth Plagueis was fantastic, and narrated by the most authentic posh smart voice.

From reading the wookieepedia summary, it does seem like they cut a lot out of the older works, which sucks, but Outbound Flight was quite tidily done.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I know I previously swore off ever buying anything Star Wars related again if only to protect my own sanity...

But damnit if Al Pacino wasn't on the ball in Godfather III: "As soon as you try to get out, they pull you back in!"

All they need now is a Wookiee partner who wisecracks are translated via subtitles and an impressive looking blaster pistol and they already have my money.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here, have a bunch of famous voice actors (Billy West, Tara Strong, Maurice LaMarche, John DiMaggio, Kevin Conroy, Jess Harnell and Rob Paulsen) doing a radio play of ANH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds

I'm geninely excited for 1313, though I would prefer a PC Jedi Knight sequeal we know the odds of that happening...

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
I keep seeing posts about how "it's just Uncharted: Stat Wars" and my only response is "That's everything I could have wanted!"

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Kirtan posted:

I keep seeing posts about how "it's just Uncharted: Stat Wars" and my only response is "That's everything I could have wanted!"

Exactly, when the last time we got a (non-Jedi) Third person SW game; Bounty Hunter, parts of Jedi Academy?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

Exactly, when the last time we got a (non-Jedi) Third person SW game; Bounty Hunter, parts of Jedi Academy?
I will be really surprised if the hero of 1313 doesn't discover is a force user during the game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator posted:

Probably Bounty Hunter; when you didn't have the lightsabre in Jedi Academy I'm pretty sure it was first-person.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Probably Bounty Hunter; when you didn't have the lightsabre in Jedi Academy I'm pretty sure it was first-person.
You had the saber all the way through Jedi Academy. The beginning levels of Jedi Outcast you don't.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Toplowtech posted:

I will be really surprised if the hero of 1313 doesn't discover is a force user during the game.

I'l be supised too , but at this point I'l take what I can get. I think it's been said before here but I'd much rather hear about a (non-Boba Fett) bounty hunter in the OT era then hear about the most "epic" Jedi-Sith battle in the Old Republic era.

Metal Loaf posted:

You could swich between first and third person with blasters in JKA.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

You had the saber all the way through Jedi Academy. The beginning levels of Jedi Outcast you don't.

I think there's one level in Jedi Academy where you get captured by Imperials who take your weapons from you, and the challenge of the mission is to escape without your lightsabre. Of course, I could easily be confusing it with a different game, I'm not entirely sure.

Nckdictator posted:

You could swich between first and third person with blasters in JKA.

Well, how about that. I quite honestly didn't know that, just as I didn't know until fairly recently (many years since I played the game) that you could switch between first and third person in Jedi Starfighter.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Metal Loaf posted:

I think there's one level in Jedi Academy where you get captured by Imperials who take your weapons from you, and the challenge of the mission is to escape without your lightsabre. Of course, I could easily be confusing it with a different game, I'm not entirely sure.

Yep, that's in JA. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_to_Dosuun

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, that happens. I think it's pretty late in the game, though, so Force Powers make everything better.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So 1313 is a Lucasarts made Star Wars Mass Effect game and Mass Effect was Bioware's Star Wars game they couldn't do at the time because it would do several things 1313 is now doing that Lucasarts wouldn't allow previously. :psyduck:

Could be good. Graphics look very good but I was cautious the moment he said "platforming".

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 7, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, I've been thinking: I know that Karen Traviss gets a lot of hate on this thread, and from what evidence I've seen it seems to be justified. However, one point that I think was attributed to her unfairly is the whole "3 Million Clonetroopers."

The reason that I say it's not fair is that number is reasonable given what we are told by the G-canon.

In Ep.2 when Obi-wan meets the Kamino-ese (sp?) they tell him that 200,000 troops are ready and a million will soon be ready. At the end, whatshername tells Obi-wan that if he needs more troops, it will take more time to create them.

So assuming Kamino took a year for development, that's 9 years to create 1.2 million troops. The Clone Wars lasted 3 years. So to even just hit the 3-million mark, Kamino would need to simultaneously increase production output by 50% AND cut production time by 200%.

TL;DR: 3 million troops is a way-too-low figure, but that's more George's fault than Karen. Also, :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

So, I've been thinking: I know that Karen Traviss gets a lot of hate on this thread, and from what evidence I've seen it seems to be justified. However, one point that I think was attributed to her unfairly is the whole "3 Million Clonetroopers."

The reason that I say it's not fair is that number is reasonable given what we are told by the G-canon.

In Ep.2 when Obi-wan meets the Kamino-ese (sp?) they tell him that 200,000 troops are ready and a million will soon be ready. At the end, whatshername tells Obi-wan that if he needs more troops, it will take more time to create them.

So assuming Kamino took a year for development, that's 9 years to create 1.2 million troops. The Clone Wars lasted 3 years. So to even just hit the 3-million mark, Kamino would need to simultaneously increase production output by 50% AND cut production time by 200%.

TL;DR: 3 million troops is a way-too-low figure, but that's more George's fault than Karen. Also, :spergin:
I haven't seen Ep2 in a couple years, but don't they say a million more units well on the way, not a million more troops? They don't specify how many a unit is. It could be an individual trooper, or a squad, or a platoon.
(:goonsay:)