Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's really weird to think that Nitro was only on for six years and WCW's great run was only like two years long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
File that alongside the fact that ECW was around for eight years (and only Extreme Championship Wrestling for 6 1/2 years), and it's been dead for eleven years. We've been dealing with ECW nostalgia for, at best, for three years longer than the lifespan of the promotion.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CVagts posted:

File that alongside the fact that ECW was around for eight years (and only Extreme Championship Wrestling for 6 1/2 years), and it's been dead for eleven years. We've been dealing with ECW nostalgia for, at best, for three years longer than the lifespan of the promotion.

The Monday night wars where three promotions that would have survived and thrived in the modern day wrestling if they hadn't all turned up at the same time.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Grandpa Pap posted:

Anything can happen here in the Punch Sport Pagoda! :v:

BUT.... BUT....FANS WE'RE OUTTA TIME WE GOTTA GO, STAY TUNED FOR FYAD!

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Who was fake Sting btw? I remember an episode of Thunder where Nash got jumped by fake Sting, then Sting came out to help him. Obviously Nash thought the real Sting attacked him and proceeded to jacknife him :(

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Who was fake Sting btw? I remember an episode of Thunder where Nash got jumped by fake Sting, then Sting came out to help him. Obviously Nash thought the real Sting attacked him and proceeded to jacknife him :(

I think his name was Jeff Farmer, and he was literally some guy who got picked to be fake Sting and then nWo Sting in NJPW.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Crow Sting was pretty bad and pretty blatantly stolen.

Crow Sting was loving awesome and stealing from pop culture is just smart.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That's weird, because if Nash is getting jumped by fake Sting, that implies that Nash and Sting are on the same side - was fake sting ever in red and black? I don't remember that, I remember him as just being a black and white guy who disappeared pretty quickly.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

The best part is that at the same time Al Snow was set to debut almost the exact same gimmick but WCW put it on air a week earlier so WWE scrapped it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'll take Crow Sting over Joker Sting any day. It's a lot easier to just be silent badass and than it is to try to get the spontaneity that makes the Joker work.

As much as I love Sting, there's a very short list of people who can actually make the Joker work, and he really isn't on the list. And you can't even pretend to be something else because the association with the facepaint is already there.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lone Rogue posted:

Scott Hall apparently didn't even see The Crow when he suggested it to Sting. All he had to go on was photos and possibly the trailer.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Jeff Farmer, as was already mentioned. He'd been with WCW for at least six months before that, as I recall. He was Cobra before being not-Sting, had a couple vignettes on episodes of Saturday Night explaining that Sgt. Craig "Pitbull" Pittman had abandoned him in some sort of combat, and now he was back for revenge. They had a few matches and then went back to being jobbers. His finisher was a Cobra Clutch into some kind of slam. I felt smart when I recognized him almost immediately. As Fake Sting he mostly hung out with nWo Japan.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Frot Lesnar posted:

The best part is that at the same time Al Snow was set to debut almost the exact same gimmick but WCW put it on air a week earlier so WWE scrapped it.

I've never heard this before. Is there more to this story or is it just that?

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Was this guy the nWo Sting? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MISUHTo2NDs I hope so because it's funny.

Edit: I hope he doesn't fight Nikki Sixx. That guy can kick out of anything.

the_Vandal fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 7, 2012

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Toffile posted:

I'll take Crow Sting over Joker Sting any day. It's a lot easier to just be silent badass and than it is to try to get the spontaneity that makes the Joker work.

As much as I love Sting, there's a very short list of people who can actually make the Joker work, and he really isn't on the list. And you can't even pretend to be something else because the association with the facepaint is already there.

You can make the Joker work with Sting, but it requires a slow build. The Joker is a basically the Loose Cannon archetype character. Just have Sting get screwed in a match or by friends repeatedly like he has been his been his whole career and have him go a little more insane each time. Of course TNA didn't do this.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Crow Sting was also better when he rarely talked and just pointed his bat at people. '99 onwards Sting was a different character

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DAS Super! posted:

You can make the Joker work with Sting, but it requires a slow build. The Joker is a basically the Loose Cannon archetype character. Just have Sting get screwed in a match or by friends repeatedly like he has been his been his whole career and have him go a little more insane each time. Of course TNA didn't do this.

People keep trying to compare the actual Joker character. He's not trying to be "THE JOKER". He's taking elements of the Heath Ledger joker to portray that he's a little off now. They didn't say it to you but it was pretty clear he went, "crazy" because there he was, in 2011 having to do the same thing he did in 1997: Fight Hogan and Bischoff from taking over wrestling with an evil faction.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MisterGBH posted:

I've never heard this before. Is there more to this story or is it just that?

It's just that. There are several sources repeating the same story if you google it but it might be an echo chamber remnant of late 90's bullshit.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

the_Vandal posted:

Was this guy the nWo Sting? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MISUHTo2NDs I hope so because it's funny.

Edit: I hope he doesn't fight Nikki Sixx. That guy can kick out of anything.
God, he's so nervous that he's making me uncomfortable

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Frot Lesnar posted:

It's just that. There are several sources repeating the same story if you google it but it might be an echo chamber remnant of late 90's bullshit.

It's probably bullshit because there's no way Vince or anyone in his inner circle had ever heard of The Crow back then.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Al Snow actually discussed it in an interview at one point, so if it's bullshit it's at least bullshit he was willing to run with.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

It's probably bullshit because there's no way Vince or anyone in his inner circle had ever heard of The Crow back then.

It also reeks of "I would be just as successful as X if it wasn't for Y" syndrome.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Frot Lesnar posted:

It also reeks of "I would be just as successful as X if it wasn't for Y" syndrome.

That too. Even if Vince had actually seen a movie that year, he wouldn't be wasting that gimmick on Al loving Snow, of all people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lone Rogue posted:

People keep trying to compare the actual Joker character. He's not trying to be "THE JOKER". He's taking elements of the Heath Ledger joker to portray that he's a little off now. They didn't say it to you but it was pretty clear he went, "crazy" because there he was, in 2011 having to do the same thing he did in 1997: Fight Hogan and Bischoff from taking over wrestling with an evil faction.

Yeah, I don't think it was a story done well enough to rave about or anything but he did "go crazy" over the course of months. With Hogan and Bischoff arriving and him insisting they were the bad guys again and no one believing him. He spent weeks back in the rafters as the "crow" character, got suspended by Dixie, was part of the "heel" stable with Nash and Pope who all said they knew Hogan and Bischoff were up to no good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1O__RFuBMk

Then he leaves TNA when Immortal forms and it turns out he was right. He comes back months later, wins the title, and Immortal screw him again and then the Joker thing comes out. He did go crazy, gradually. It actually looked like it was all supposed to parallel the original nWo/Crow story. It wasn't a super well told story and it was a LOOOOONG burn so casual viewers might have missed it, but it happened.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Perigryn posted:

Well, he's The Joker now. And once held Bischoff hostage with a bird.

Yes, I'm serious

Please tell me that was the worst segment featuring insane sting, because that was glorious and I want to see more.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That bird was amazing. :aaa:

Crazy old man Sting is the best Sting ever. The segment when he beat up Hogan and force-fed him a bunch of pills was great too.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I thought Joker Sting was alright. I liked when he convinced Bischoff that Spike TV had put him in charge, and he started booking matches, and later in the show it turned out he was lying through his teeth.

I also kind of liked when he forced Hogan to eat vitamins.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I thought Joker Sting was alright.

He did do a good job with it, for sure.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

STAC Goat posted:

Then he leaves TNA when Immortal forms and it turns out he was right. He comes back months later, wins the title, and Immortal screw him again and then the Joker thing comes out. He did go crazy, gradually. It actually looked like it was all supposed to parallel the original nWo/Crow story. It wasn't a super well told story and it was a LOOOOONG burn so casual viewers might have missed it, but it happened.

Two angles I tend to defend quite a bit from TNA is Sting/Immortal and Fourtune because both were just poorly executed but had all of the correct elements to be excellent storylines. It's just the storytellers were bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a common problem with TNA. They have a good idea, a lot of ambitious elements to it, and some good performances or parts, but they never pull it together into a very strong or coherent story. It drags out too long or it gets broken up with nonsense. Then you have the casual internet audience who watches TNA in bits who can't follow the story, weekly viewers who can't really explain it in a simple way, and you get a whole mess of negativity that just makes things worse and even harder to follow.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I also kind of liked when he forced Hogan to eat vitamins.

As an old WCW fan, it was very cathartic to see Sting completely punk out Hogan like that. Not just beat him down, but humiliate him. Really I could watch Sting make a fool of Hogan every week. It's better than seeing him wrestle nowadays.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

STAC Goat posted:

Its a common problem with TNA. They have a good idea, a lot of ambitious elements to it, and some good performances or parts, but they never pull it together into a very strong or coherent story. It drags out too long or it gets broken up with nonsense. Then you have the casual internet audience who watches TNA in bits who can't follow the story, weekly viewers who can't really explain it in a simple way, and you get a whole mess of negativity that just makes things worse and even harder to follow.

With Fourtune, the big mistake was not turning them earlier. It should have been that Ric Flair was lying to them the entire time and fooling them much like the rest of Immortal. Instead they ended up turning a few months after and it didn't make any sense to have these TNA Originals with the Immortal gang.

With Sting/Immortal it was handled a bit strangely but it worked. Hogan came in and things seemed off. He kept acting like a heel to the heels. The turn just should have been a lot more pronounced that this was a group of invading veterans who just pulled the cloak over everyone. Even Dreamer joining Immortal should have worked better but that was clunky too. It made sense for Dreamer to bring in a bunch of ECW guys and claim they were just looking for their moment when in reality they were working with Hogan to try to run someone out of their home and claim a new one.

But you can only expect so much from Russo/Hogan writing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

To me, the whole Fortune/Immortal storyline just felt like them trying to redo the dawn of the nWo all the way through the Wolfpac all over again but at a breakneck pace so that it got stale and terrible after a week instead of after a full year

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Watching Flair v Sting from Clash of the Champions 1 with Jason Harvey being a ringside judge. Because it makes sense for a 16 year old and a model to decide who's the world champion. Did Jason Harvey (The older brother from Wonder Years) have some sort of connection with Turner Networks before becoming friends with Bischoff? Or is he a life long fan that got in with WCW after his acting career went nowhere?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

With Sting/Immortal it was handled a bit strangely but it worked. Hogan came in and things seemed off. He kept acting like a heel to the heels. The turn just should have been a lot more pronounced that this was a group of invading veterans who just pulled the cloak over everyone. Even Dreamer joining Immortal should have worked better but that was clunky too. It made sense for Dreamer to bring in a bunch of ECW guys and claim they were just looking for their moment when in reality they were working with Hogan to try to run someone out of their home and claim a new one.

Meh, it focused too heavily on a bunch of 40-year-olds who can't work anymore, led by a guy in his 50s who can't work anymore, and in opposition to a guy in his 60s who shouldn't be working anymore.

TNA is even worse than WWE about having young guys with potential getting screwed by the old broken-down carnies who are booking everything.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

The American Dream posted:

Watching Flair v Sting from Clash of the Champions 1 with Jason Harvey being a ringside judge. Because it makes sense for a 16 year old and a model to decide who's the world champion. Did Jason Harvey (The older brother from Wonder Years) have some sort of connection with Turner Networks before becoming friends with Bischoff? Or is he a life long fan that got in with WCW after his acting career went nowhere?

I thought Eric Bischoff was his Godfather or something.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Corzaa posted:

I thought Eric Bischoff was his Godfather or something.

Hervey's godfather is Terry Funk actually.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It's great seeing Lex Lugar going from boos to cheers to boos to cheers every clash. someone should make a diagram of all his face/heel turns.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I wonder if Hervey ever called Hogan or Bischoff scrote or buttface in production meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Frot Lesnar posted:

I wonder if Hervey ever called Hogan or Bischoff scrote or buttface in production meetings.
The hardest I ever laughed at that show was when Kevin was running for class president and Wayne said his slogan should be 'Vote for Scrote.'