Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I have both in my inventory so I can run around with gale harness then switch to sword for some dire gouge goodness on huge guys. Pentad shot is only good on harpies since I can't be assed to aim at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

As an Assassin, should I be sticking with my daggers and shortbow, or should I go sword and bow? Because I found a pretty sweet new flaming sword, and I no longer have access to Implicate. Should I just use the swords and use daggers when I want to stab something's eye out? Also Pentad shot is way shittier than Cloudburst Shot.

I keep both daggers and sword in my inventory. Daggers are just leagues and leagues beyond sword when it comes to 'normal' (non-large) enemies, but for anything I can climb on it's time to bust out the sword and dire gouge.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mill Village posted:

Any way to get my Pawns to be more aggressive again? For some reason, my Pawns do barely anything. I tried fighting a horde of direwolves yesterday, and they spent most of the time circling them and getting stunlocked endlessly. The game is basically unplayable for me at this point because of it.

You need to go back to the Encampment (the one way back by Cassardis) and get some of the inclination altering potions from the merchant in the riftstone room.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I tend to pick pawns based on a mix of appearance and inclination: I learned my lesson on the latter after hiring some random mage who ended up being both Acquisitor and Guardian, this meant he would stand right by me and do gently caress-all. Except of course when he saw a Rock or something sitting on the ground, he sure moved his rear end to pick it up!

That's when I learned that you can send "Behaved senselessly" as a parting message, the first, and so far only, lovely review I've sent back with anyone.

I tend to skip over any pawns who are straight up pop culture references and/or haven't bothered to capitalize their name properly, right now though I'm rolling with Ron Weasley, he's a better healer than his namesake might lead you to believe.

I wish I had tried killing the ur-dragon earlier, I want to get some of the cool stuff, but I got steamrolled when I tried it online recently, guess maybe I'll go offline and see how that goes. :(

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I had someone's pawn eat my Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat. I wanted to throw them at a Drake.

Also, Scather plus Pioneer apparently equals 'hop around like an idiot and spam War Cry'. Not doing that again.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
What HP and Stamina recovering items are people finding themselves using, and about how many for general questing?

I have a wicked bad case of OCD for games like this where I need to pick up everything, and it's seriously hurting my weight total.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
You can unload all your junk onto your Pawns if stuff gets too heavy.

Edit: stuff you give to rented Pawns goes into your stash when you release them if you didn't know that.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

LoG posted:

You can unload all your junk onto your Pawns if stuff gets too heavy.

I already do :sweatdrop:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do I need to worry about pawns using my temporary stat boosting stuff, or eating rotten food? I know I shouldn't give them health/stamina regen items.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

pipes! posted:

What HP and Stamina recovering items are people finding themselves using, and about how many for general questing?

I have a wicked bad case of OCD for games like this where I need to pick up everything, and it's seriously hurting my weight total.

Honestly, I use close to none, but I do pack a mage at all times for the heals.

I'm not at endgame just yet, but I keep about 6 Potent Greenwarish and 2 Mature on my character, and then each pawn gets 2/1. And... that's pretty much what I roll with. I use my big beefy black friend to carry buffs and status curatives so I have access as necessary. Maybe a few (pardon Pokemon terms, I forget the item) Full Heals, and some eyedroppers, etc.

I always travel light because gently caress stamina and speed penalties.

also:

Ketheriel posted:

Thanks, man. Luna's my pawn. Any suggestions to make her more effective?

Awesome! She's pretty excellent. I liked her skill layout a bunch. I'd have to go back and look at her Augments if I were to suggest anything.

But I was happy with her. Rift crystals well spent (except that she could have been free had I found this thread earlier).

alsoalso:

Cbouncerrun posted:

Do I need to worry about pawns using my temporary stat boosting stuff, or eating rotten food? I know I shouldn't give them health/stamina regen items.

I've never had a pawn eat rotten food, and much to my chagrin, they've never eaten anything aside from the Greenwarish I give them. No stat boosters, nothing. Like they don't believe in strategy! :arghfish:

My main pawn throws all my drat oil flasks at enemies though! rear end in a top hat. I'm always left in the dark with an empty lantern because he just loves blinding people.

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 7, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

pipes! posted:

I don't really tend to bring any Stamina regen stuff whatsoever. Early game, I ran around with a stack of 10 Dessicated Herbs and 5 Interventives and that was more than enough. Everything else I hoovered up along the way got stuffed in the item box for combining later.

Cbouncerrun posted:

To be honest, I've found pawns to be really conservative about using health items. Even when they're at half max life, it's been a stretch to try to coax my Utilitarian pawn into using anything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For the quest "A Troublesome Tome", if I accidentally used the tome am I hosed? It's still on the "Deliver the book" part of the quest but I have no book any more. :smith:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

It's funny because stuff like greenwarishes and interventives don't do much for your health later on in the game.

I carry an amalgamation of random poo poo but salubrious brews are good for filling up all your health, and all the varius harspud + large nut combinations (except milk, I think) do a decent restore to your full party, so I'll have some of those on-hand as well. Otherwise it's whatever goes.

Oh and some cockatrice liquor just in case.

When adventuring I'll typically unload random items I get/don't need right away (such as materials) to my two rented pawns, since once they get de-summoned it goes to storage automatically. Handy.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2012

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Stelas posted:

I don't really tend to bring any Stamina regen stuff whatsoever. Early game, I ran around with a stack of 10 Dessicated Herbs and 5 Interventives and that was more than enough. Everything else I hoovered up along the way got stuffed in the item box for combining later.

To be honest, I've found pawns to be really conservative about using health items. Even when they're at half max life, it's been a stretch to try to coax my Utilitarian pawn into using anything.

I think they use them under 20% of health. my Archer pawn Shaq decides that is the best time to use them. He also has a habit for eating anything you store in his inventory..And i am not sure why.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Get some empty flasks and go NW of Gran Soren a bit till you find a healing spring. Fill up said empty flasks with spring water and distribute them to your party. The Spring Potions heal your whole party, and your Pawns will use them on you if you ever need healing.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Lamech posted:

Get some empty flasks and go NW of Gran Soren a bit till you find a healing spring. Fill up said empty flasks with spring water and distribute them to your party. The Spring Potions heal your whole party, and your Pawns will use them on you if you ever need healing.

Finally a use for these dozens of empty flasks my pawns always grab!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Yeah pawns are great about using Spring Water, and (naturally) pretty quick on the draw with it in situations when I might stubbornly try to finish my combo or whatever before healing.

Even better, if you give them a few empty flasks they often like to help you fill them. :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tooooooo bad posted:

Even better, if you give them a few empty flasks they often like to help you fill them. :3:

I gave my pawn a pickax and he helped me mine some rocks. Thanks buddy! I'm still surprised at how good and fun the pawn AI is.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

pipes! posted:

Being a warrior always backed by at least one mage pawn, I very rarely find myself with low HP, but when I do, I tend to eat the random nuts and fruits that I find lying around--only when fighting something like a drake do I turn to the green cocaine. But I'm always taking long runs and scaling monsters and always seem to have at least 40 mushrooms (small and large) sitting in my inventory. They're readily available and relatively lightweight and so I can just power through whatever is in my way.

And yeah, I give pickaxes to any pawns I take with me, especially any with Acquisitor. Two hired acquisitor pawns and a walk through the quarry is a fast way to stock up on loot while reading the internet. :v:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

RBA Starblade posted:

I gave my pawn a pickax and he helped me mine some rocks. Thanks buddy! I'm still surprised at how good and fun the pawn AI is.

Mine just tend to crowd around a single rock and just stare at it because :effort:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't know what I did to him to make this happen but my main pawn uses items all the time, to the point of wastefulness. On a couple of these rougher enemies in the Everfall I actually had to take some of the healing items away from him since I was worried he would eat them all and leave none left for me, and I leave base with at least 40 usually. He used to carry my status cures too but then he used a panacea to dry himself after we ran to the other side of the river and I decided I would handle most of the curatives from then on.

I'm considering getting the inclination clearing potion and just resetting him to scather/challenger, since his AI no doubt has a bunch of other nonsense mixed in there from my behavior now.

a kitten posted:

I tend to pick pawns based on a mix of appearance and inclination: I learned my lesson on the latter after hiring some random mage who ended up being both Acquisitor and Guardian, this meant he would stand right by me and do gently caress-all. Except of course when he saw a Rock or something sitting on the ground, he sure moved his rear end to pick it up!

I've been using a sorcerer who happened to have Acquisitor primary and Scather secondary, and for whatever reason he's probably the best pawn I've ever rented. He calls meteor showers constantly, uses lots of other spells really effectively, and is in hindsight the only reason I was able to kill that goddamn archhydra in the Chamber of Hesitation since he still has fire affinity which continues to be handy even in the postgame content. The heads take something around five times as long to come back when you decapitate them with fire attacks.

Possibly because his spells take so long to cast, the Acquisitor setting actually doesn't get in the way of his performance much, he's just the first to run out and grab all the boss loot which is actually pretty handy since he's found a lot of items I didn't notice were there. Some of the items are kinda hard to see on the ground. I'm probably 10-15 levels above him now but I don't think I want to return him yet.

According to my stats, my most-used rented pawn was for 16 hours, so I'll see how long this guy went when I finally return him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What is vulnerable to dark damage? I have a dark enchanted maul but can't find a reason to use it over the flaming sword because, well, I end up fighting lots of undead at knight and they are highly resistant to it.

Same question for ice and lightning damage, to a lesser extent. Holy at least is obvious, but dark just seems like a waste.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lotish posted:

What is vulnerable to dark damage? I have a dark enchanted maul but can't find a reason to use it over the flaming sword because, well, I end up fighting lots of undead at knight and they are highly resistant to it.

Same question for ice and lightning damage, to a lesser extent. Holy at least is obvious, but dark just seems like a waste.

Saurian Sages in the Everfall are the only enemies I can think of with a weakness to dark.

Hellhounds are weak to Ice, Cyclopses are deathly weak to Lightning, and I think Evil Eyes may be too.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know its probably in one these 117 pages but im invisible now and i cant kill myself. Did i gently caress up?

Edit: nm it just glitched for a minute

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 7, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Saurians, goblins, and drakes are all really weak to ice. The only thing I know lightning works well against are cyclopes, but there aren't many things that are strong against it, so lighting spells are fairly generally effective.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 7, 2012

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Can someone please tell me how to make a new game on PS3 without deleting the original one.

Lotish posted:

Dark -> Okay against every living thing, particularly good against humans.
Ice -> Great against anything that breathes fire, and anything cold-blooded (look for scales).
Lightning -> Great against cyclopses, cockatrices, ogres, and anything that is doused in water.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, the mages or sorcerors I play with always unload the lightning on the cylcopes and drop them before I can do enough to feel appreciated.

I wish the armor on cyclopes didn't just block all melee damage. It's obnoxious to power up an Arc of Deliverance to unload on the cyclops's unarmored leg only for it to pivot at the last second and its metal wristband eats all the damage.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the suggestions! I've been lurking the crap out of this thread, and it's amazing in how many little ways the game has managed to surprise so far.

Clocks posted:

...since once they get de-summoned it goes to storage automatically. Handy.

And here I've been manually storing stuff like an idiot before desummoning.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

pipes! posted:

Apples and mushrooms, any meat I find, and upgraded greenwarishes. If meat hits the sour stage and it's valuable, sometimes I'll preserve it, but mostly I just eat it ASAP. Also, saurian tails seem to be almost entirely useless, are etremely heavy, and easy to pick up without noticing, so I eat them before almost anything else.

I pick up all the herbs I can find, but try to make my pawns do the actual picking and mining whenever possible.

I also make a point to give each of my pawns 10-20 mushrooms and large mushrooms before leaving Gran Soren whenever I remember to, and a half-dozen good *warish herbs. I try to avoid letting them carry springwater because they'll chug three whenever I fall off a building and take damage, :argh: but I try and hand out 2-3 to each pawn before a big fight against drakes, etc.

Also I always carry 3 items to remove possession, and give one or two to each pawn.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Possession has only been a problem for me once. I had lost one of my hired pawns and was down to a mage named Huglio (I think) who was more interested in running away from the phantasms and casting healing spells than hitting me to dispel the possession. But since then every time I have been possessed I have just run towards my pawns and they purge it before I take more than a few points of damage. If you lack a holy enchant, getting possessed repeatedly is arguably the fastest way to deal with phantasms.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

StringOfLetters posted:

Can someone please tell me how to make a new game on PS3 without deleting the original one.

Either make a new profile on your PS3 or just copy your DD data to a memory stick. Making a new profile is way easier.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kilometers Davis posted:

How do you re edit your character and pawn? I remember reading about it earlier in the thread.

Also, anyone care to post your "and then Dragon's Dogma really clicked with me moment"?

Killing oxen in the field so that I could have enough meat to kill that loving griffin who attacked me while I was fighting bandits in front of Grand Soren. :black101:

edit: then there was this time when I needed to talk to the leader of female bandits, and I did not want to aggro them. I threw my two rented pawns down the mountain. (Sorry guys) :3: That also made outrunning the last group of cyclop and bandits easier and faster. Or when I was fighting those bandits at night and I turn and there was this GIANT LION FACE running towards our group...

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 7, 2012

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
How does magic vs. normal damage work on a weapon? As an assassin - are the chilled razors the best dagger weapon in the game? They seem like it given they do the most combined physical and magic damage? their physical is weaker than others though..

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr. WTF posted:

How does magic vs. normal damage work on a weapon? As an assassin - are the chilled razors the best dagger weapon in the game? They seem like it given they do the most combined physical and magic damage? their physical is weaker than others though..

I don't know the specifics of how damage is calculated, but I do know that when magic weapons get enchanted by a spell, their current enchantment gets overridden. This makes them much worse than physical weapons in that case because enchanted physical weapons get all their base damage plus a lot of extra elemental damage, whereas a magic weapon will only get that small amount of base physical damage with whatever enchantment was added by a wizard.

So if you don't have any enchanting spells in your group, or if you carry several elemental weapons and switch them out based on your target, they seem to be worth it but not if you typically rely on ___ Affinity during most of your fights. I just take the weapons with the highest physical damage as Assassin, Strider and Ranger and get a couple of people in pajamas to follow me around and make my weapon flashy.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Man the postgame owns so much. So many giant monsters to hug and stab the poo poo out of kiss a hundred times!

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Mr. WTF posted:

It's all a big jumbled mess of weapon damage + player strength stat, weapon magic damage + player magic stat, magical enchantments cast by mages and sorcs, enemy resistance to physical or specific elemental damage and enemy physical and magical defense stats. Basically, physical is going to be generally effective against everything with a few exceptions (phantoms are immune to physical, some enemies have high Defense) and magic is generally effective against most things, depending on the element and the enemy's resistances with some exceptions (golems are immune to magical damage, some enemies have high Magic Defense but will still have elemental weaknesses).

There's no real best option. It's a good idea to take the strongest purely physical weapon you have and the strongest magical weapon you have, especially if you don't have a mage who can cast enchantments on you. Except mages and sorcerers, they're really much better off with a perma-enchanted staff since their unenchanted attack does magical damage anyway.

So uh... your chilled razors will be good for fighting phantoms and enemies who are weak to ice (goblins, saurians, drakes) and the other daggers you mentioned will be good for fighting pretty much everything. Your chilled daggers will also be pretty good at fighting everything, except enemies who are strong vs ice since they have a lower physical damage which is substituted by the additional magical damage in the form of ice, which can be negated by enemies with resistance to cold.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't know the specifics of how damage is calculated, but I do know that when magic weapons get enchanted by a spell, their current enchantment gets overridden. This makes them much worse than physical weapons in that case because enchanted physical weapons get all their base damage plus a lot of extra elemental damage, whereas a magic weapon will only get that small amount of base physical damage with whatever enchantment was added by a wizard.
Wait, what exactly is the difference between "all their base damage" and "small amount of base physical damage" here?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sindai posted:

Wait, what exactly is the difference between "all their base damage" and "small amount of base physical damage" here?

The physical damage stat listed on the weapon. For a physical weapon this is all of its damage, for an elemental weapon this is very little.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm asking because I turned in the gold idol and found that all of the 2-handers it made available were elemental, but were so far above my pawn's current weapon that they were sacrificing maybe 20 strength for hundreds of magic. Taken at face value that seemed like a pretty good deal. I'm not missing any hidden loss to physical damage there, right?

EDIT: It sounds like the answer is "the stats are what they say they are," your original wording was just kind of confusing. :shobon:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

quote:

I was under the impression that a weapon with an enchantment on it doesn't get weaker if you put another enchantment on top of it -- at best, damage stacks, at worst, it's just another enchantment? Or am I wrong about this?

That said, Chilling Razors are good, but there are quite a few better weapons so I wouldn't say it's the "best weapon in the game."

• Locked thread