Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

snyprmag posted:

After looking harder, datpiff has Detriot State of Mind one and four and volumes 2 and 3 here

Dope man, getting them as I type.... thanks for taking the time to help my lazy rear end.

conventionalcat posted:

^ You're doing exactly what I did today. There's also Black and Brown, and I'm not sure what else since I'm mostly on the same page as you.

Is this a free mixtape still? I remember it being free when I heard about it here (the first heard of Danny Brown actually) and you dudes were recommending it.
If it's free... anyone know where to download? I've searched my usual non-shady mixtapes sites with no luck.

afgrunden posted:

spaceghostpurrp is dropping his first album on 4AD, mysterious phonk: chronicles of spaceghostpurrp, in like... 6 days. you can listen to it streaming here.

all y'all who said you would like to see him release something with proper mastering, etc should give it a listen.

just listened through some of this and checked out the video to "The Black God" and I like it. i've only heard him on features, so i'm glad i checked this out.

someone mentioned him being similar to early Three 6 Mafia, which i love, and i agree. it's awesomely dark and trippy/spacey. SpaceGhostPurrp is Space, Ghost, Purrp.
speaking of Three 6, this album cover is straight 90s poo poo:

Three 6's first album, from 1995:

chomper fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Can anyone rec some good Gucci tapes?

have some good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzxrGyXaYQ

edit: these danny brown tapes are great. thanks for posting

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 7, 2012

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

farmtrill posted:

e:oh and when all my dudes get done crying over the downfall of def jux + tribe, get back to 2012 and realise that the new FLOCKA is out there! oh man oh man oh man oh man

Holy poo poo i've been waiting for dude's followup to flockaveli for what seems like forever. Here's hoping it isn't poo poo

e: clean

Perpetual Ascent fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 7, 2012

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

chomper posted:

Is this a free mixtape still? I remember it being free when I heard about it here (the first heard of Danny Brown actually) and you dudes were recommending it.
If it's free... anyone know where to download? I've searched my usual non-shady mixtapes sites with no luck.
I don't remember it ever being free, though it is streaming on band camp. Its alright, but I expected a bit more out of it.

Been looking forward to hearing Triple F Life, though from the singles it doesn't seem like it'll be quite as rowdy as Flockaveli.

TenaciousTomato posted:

The two he dropped this year, I'm Up and Trap Back, are both good so are Mr. zone 6 and Gucci 2 Time.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

temple posted:

Pharcyde got a lot of praise but I can't think of anyone that knows more than their few hit.

Bite your tongue. Labcabincalifornia is a completely underrated CD that has more bangers on it than singles. Bullshit, Groupie Therapy, Runnin, She Said, Drop, Y?, Momment in Time, The Hustle, Devil Music, even The E.N.D was bangin. That whole CD was amazing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

farmtrill posted:

the blogs style is purposefully over the top and scathing, thats his style. i have to admit im kinda surprised that its being taken so seriously by dudes here. yes obviously he is not an elp fan and has a few criticisms of one song, but i think most of the rest of it can be taken with a pinch of salt. all his posts are full of stupid movie references and jokes.

its probably only natural to get defensive if you grew up with all that def jux stuff but cmon guys i expect better of you. this is from the same blog who said that slim dunkin died because he didnt make noz's best of 2011 list! and you REALLY want to say its "dumb" because he talks a little poo poo about elp?

e:oh and when all my dudes get done crying over the downfall of def jux + tribe, get back to 2012 and realise that the new FLOCKA is out there! oh man oh man oh man oh man

Reagan is a good track, offers his perspective on poo poo - no it's not a revelation but you'd have to have been living in a loving bubble to not see how economic, social and foreign policy have been influenced by his administration and the way it reified neo-conservatism and all the bullshit that comes with that. Great criticism to note that since other people have noticed that before, time to quiet down? No, that's loving stupid, everybody gets their word in, say what they have to say from their perspective. What's the point otherwise?

As a track it fits well with the progression of the album and it's an accessible but effective explanation of Michael Rinder's experiences in the shithouse that the world became after the Reagan administration successfully kicked off some of the most drastic and stupid domestic and foreign policy, perpetuated by every successor to the presidency since. It doesn't have to be anything more than just him rapping him, so what kind of critique is that?

Anyway, the whole blog entry's just a hit piece on el-p, seems like it has gently caress all to do with killer mike. Nonsense invective, I guess he wins because I clicked the link and I'm talking about him, but his criticism in this particular case is garbage and he's shooting through killer mike to hit a different target. Dickish.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Jock Mocken posted:

admit it you just like dude cause he's on your side of the atlantic

thats how we do it over here! its that fiery temperament :)

im just never gonna mention el-p again. honestly i never got into is music, hes certaintly talented i just dont like his style. i didnt realise he meant so much to all the posters here. can we all just be friends and ill never speak on him again?

TenaciousTomato posted:

have some good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzxrGyXaYQ

edit: these danny brown tapes are great. thanks for posting

ignore the last gucci rec u got (not that they arent good tapes) but guccis peak is 07-09. best to start there. the best tapes in no order:

gucci sosa
definition of a g (w/ yo gotti)
ea sportscenter
the movie (parts 1, 2 + 3)
writing on the wall

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

farmtrill posted:

ignore the last gucci rec u got (not that they arent good tapes) but guccis peak is 07-09. best to start there. the best tapes in no order:

gucci sosa
ea sportscenter
writing on the wall

also No Pad No Pencil and From Zone 6 to Duval. the second movie tape is skippable in my opinion, there are also good tracks on the cold war series. I think the Gooch is the best unofficial tape from 2009 with a bunch of loosies collected in one spot. and the State vs Radric Davis is actually a pretty good album; it just drags in the middle with the dumb r&b features that aren't even close to as good as the obsessed remix for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7HO62Hmkg4

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

From Zone 6 to Duval is an absolute classic for me. I like most of the tapes that Bigga Rankin tends to host, but that one and any of the Movies series (1 and 2 are my favs) are must listens. If you're looking for a good mixtape with a wide selection of "hip" Gucci remixes then you should try, Diplo Presents: Free Gucci (Best of The Cold War Mixtapes). I thought Mr. Zone 6 wasn't bad, and Writings on the Wall 2 had some songs I liked. With the amount of Gucci releases out there it gets hard to remember what releases are official and which are just remixes or recompiled tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkfX-iPI7k
"I ONLY FUCKS WITH REAL NIGGAS YOU HEAR ME" Honestly, any of the Real Nigga Radio series is incredible, as well.

Diodeous fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 7, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

farmtrill posted:

thats how we do it over here! its that fiery temperament :)

im just never gonna mention el-p again. honestly i never got into is music, hes certaintly talented i just dont like his style. i didnt realise he meant so much to all the posters here. can we all just be friends and ill never speak on him again?

gucci sosa
ea sportscenter
writing on the wall
Imo, the big issue isn't that El-P is some unassailable figure, it's that dude on the blog came with some wack poo poo. I've read a couple other pieces on there, and even when I agreed with them I thought they were lame. IDK the whole tone just screams out someone who's trying to be edgy or XXXTREME!!! but it just sounds lame and played out. Like Bol was at least clever with his poo poo.

And drat dude, you gotta quick getting so prickly over things. You posted that link in the first place, stand up for it! You don't see me back down from saying Gucci is horrible (and to the dude who wanted recs of good gucci albums, that's an oxymoron) despite what some folks here think. Or look back at the 5 pages of retards trying to justify why riff raff isn't pure poo poo, I didn't stand down. If you're right, you're right!

Also about the Waka album, I'm a bit worried it might be too pop this time around. I've only seen clean versions so I'm not gonna check for it just yet, but the poo poo that got me interested in him was TTG and poo poo like that, I can do without more no hands.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Am I the only one not feeling the new KRIT? Not even just by Krit Wuz Here standards, like it's pretty average. I'm only one listen through so maybe it'll grow on me.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

alansmithee posted:

If you're right, you're right!

opinions etc. i dont really have much to say other than i dont like him, why argue.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Robert Analog posted:

Am I the only one not feeling the new KRIT? Not even just by Krit Wuz Here standards, like it's pretty average. I'm only one listen through so maybe it'll grow on me.

It felt a lot more subdued than his earlier poo poo.

Krit Wuz Here was loving amazing, but my fav jam by him is his Audio Jackin Mixtape.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Roller Skaten was really good too. Less jazz, krit, more stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfA4Vl7rjoM

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

This is legendary.

THE CIPHERS... whack.

chomper posted:

I just now got around to listening to the XXX album from Danny Brown because of that sick rear end "Grown Up" video.

I'm now listening through "The Hybrid" but want to know if there's anything else out there besides these two albums? Any mixtapes to cop? Anything?

He's on a track with Esham. He's on some Das Racist tracks. He's on some Exquire and El-P tracks too.

There are more but if you check some of those guys stuff out you'll hear some more Danny Brown.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
HOLY gently caress.

Killer Mike released a video for Big Beast and it's loving RAW. Best video i've seen in awhile!

Don't watch if you're queasy or have a weak stomach. That's all i'm gonna say because I don't wanna ruin it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-RmM5py1c&hd=1

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
That rules

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Also about the Waka album, I'm a bit worried it might be too pop this time around. I've only seen clean versions so I'm not gonna check for it just yet, but the poo poo that got me interested in him was TTG and poo poo like that, I can do without more no hands.

i havent put it on my good system yet but yeah it pretty much sucks

he better release the most gutter mixtape of all time immediately

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

chomper posted:

HOLY gently caress.

Killer Mike released a video for Big Beast and it's loving RAW. Best video i've seen in awhile!

Don't watch if you're queasy or have a weak stomach. That's all i'm gonna say because I don't wanna ruin it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-RmM5py1c&hd=1

more rap videos should play like short films that rip off are heavily inspired by Drive

also I would totally go to a strip club where all the girls wore calavera makeup

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Know how Nas released UBR (unauthorised biography of Rakim) on Streets Deciple, and said the UB KRS-One on the next album, that didn't happen, but did he release a track for KRS-One ever?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

This is legendary.

THE CIPHERS... whack.

El-P tracks too.

There are more but if you check some of those guys stuff out you'll hear some more Danny Brown.

Mr. eX does some great poo poo on this one too, but Danny kills it.

"The Max Moon Magician," Okay already great.

"I'm Ric Flair... with thick hair." Perfect.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Meanwhile, Doomtree does a Steampunk video for "Beacon"

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

temple posted:

That blogger is contrarian and you can get away with that in hiphop because its so poorly documented. You couldn't call the Beatles overrated with seriously backing that up because there is information from the time they came out until now in which the Beatles are universally praised. Hiphop isn't so well covered so you have to take people's word. It really irks me because its too easy to sound critical by contributing to backlash against really popular figures like Dilla. At worst, Dilla was an inexperienced producer back in the mid 90's. But that's all you can say when his fingerprints is on stuff people liked from that time.

I know this is from a page back and I rarely post in the hip-hop thread even though I probably should, but to say that the blogger is simply being contrarian with no precedent is simply not true. I can't speak as definitively about the general feeling at times of their release of Tribe's fourth or De La's Prince Paul-less albums being from the west coast and all, but LabCabinCalifornia is decidedly weaker production-wise from Bizarre Ride, and it can't be hand-waved away as being the Pharcyde themselves falling off. (I actually think some of those dudes rhymes are better on LabCab as opposed to their more enrgetic, youthful, but still a bit Souls of Mischief-lite, while their rhyming on LabCab sounds more assured) That's not to say that Dilla ruined the group or anything, he gave them some great songs, but it was a definite step down from what came before.

I think Dilla's later work is better than his early work anyway, though, so that may color my opinion of this whole issue.

Anyway, to talk about new albums I've been listening to, the new Odissee joint is quite solid, Billy Woods' History Will Absolve Me is amazing/criminally slept on, Curren$y's new album is kind of blown by some weak guest spots, Killer Mike is good, but I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by it, and Big K.R.I.T.'s new album was a nice surprise. (Was pretty lukewarm on his last one).

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

I can't speak as definitively about the general feeling at times of their release of Tribe's fourth or De La's Prince Paul-less albums being from the west coast and all, but LabCabinCalifornia is decidedly weaker production-wise from Bizarre Ride, and it can't be hand-waved away as being the Pharcyde themselves falling off. (I actually think some of those dudes rhymes are better on LabCab as opposed to their more enrgetic, youthful, but still a bit Souls of Mischief-lite, while their rhyming on LabCab sounds more assured) That's not to say that Dilla ruined the group or anything, he gave them some great songs, but it was a definite step down from what came before.

maybe its because jswift ( ithink thats his name) who was the producer of pharcydes first album became A loving CRACKHEAD so they had to look outside for production, which may lead to a more diluted product as you have producers contributing heavily to an album when they already have other priorities on their plate, as opposed to an in-house producer who will devote 100% of their time and effort to making the album high quality and cohesive

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Perpetual Ascent posted:

Holy poo poo i've been waiting for dude's followup to flockaveli for what seems like forever. Here's hoping it isn't poo poo

e: clean

There's a dirty version out.

My review: I didn't feel like breaking anything while listening to the whole album. Also the first song is kind of a ballad and the album is titled "Fans, Friends and Family" sooooo

e: 7. – Fist Pump (feat. B.o.B) [Explicit]

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

chomper posted:

I just now got around to listening to the XXX album from Danny Brown because of that sick rear end "Grown Up" video.

I'm now listening through "The Hybrid" but want to know if there's anything else out there besides these two albums? Any mixtapes to cop? Anything?

He did a track with UK grime producer Darq E Freaker. I don't think that one's been posted here yet.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
my friend cory kendrix is opening for riff raff tonight... this should be fun.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Anybody else gonna be at Childish Gambino / Danny Brown a week from tonight in Indy?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Beelzebozo posted:

Anybody else gonna be at Childish Gambino / Danny Brown a week from tonight in Indy?

Me

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

youngallah posted:

my friend cory kendrix is opening for riff raff tonight... this should be fun.

This is Austin?

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
I typically avoid saying any one person/group is the best, but these guys come very close for me.

Clear Soul Forces

http://youtu.be/BWKLuwR_bFw

However if I had to pick one it would be Wise Intelligent. The man absolutely kills this track in cold blood with one verse. Of course Dat X also brings the heat.

J Rawls (feat. Wise Intelligent and Sadat X)

http://youtu.be/JHHd571Xljw

I seem to only really get into the conscious stuff. The party stuff just doesn't do it for me most of the time. I like the way Co$$ says it, "gently caress hip hop if the music ain't freein' souls then the rappers just thespians."

Co$$

http://youtu.be/PsNPOPFEXb0

mogran fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 9, 2012

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Hahaha a guy chose wise intelligent as his rap name we've reached peak conscious rapper

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

Bulging Nipples posted:

Hahaha a guy chose wise intelligent as his rap name we've reached peak conscious rapper

Then we peaked in 1989.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

yeah i ride for PRT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuL6KD08roc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4F9BZiWj8

plogo or someone posted a bunch of good five percenter rappers in phiz a long time ago but I don't remember which thread it was in or really any of the more obscure artists; are any of ya'll up on that and willing to hook us up with an informative oldrap post? (arguing about riff raff and el-p is p. boring)

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
Perhaps my favorite lady in oldschool.

Lady Of Rage

http://youtu.be/LPhAMmhEm54 (Prod. By DJ Premier)

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
i don't know how I feel about the new waka at all yet, gonna reserve judgment til I get a chance to listen to it in my car though.

what bugs me is wiki and amazon aren't listing the Tyler track as a bonus deluxe edition track anymore and I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get to hear it. I don't like Tyler at all, but gently caress i need to hear that song

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

farmtrill posted:

i havent put it on my good system yet but yeah it pretty much sucks

he better release the most gutter mixtape of all time immediately

Does this help?

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhwgqCUZ5bBhn2sA9X

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

Mosaic Perception posted:

This is Austin?

yeah... riff raff is amusing (only by watching the impressionable white kids who paid money to see him) but not a great live performer... although his tweet immediately after the show "MY LiVE SHOWS SUCK BECUZ YOUR MOM ALWAYS JUMPS ON STAGE & PULLS OUT HER HAND MADE VERSACE VACUUM" was pretty funny

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Awesome.

Datpiff has the album streaming now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jock Mocken posted:

yeah i ride for PRT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuL6KD08roc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4F9BZiWj8

plogo or someone posted a bunch of good five percenter rappers in phiz a long time ago but I don't remember which thread it was in or really any of the more obscure artists; are any of ya'll up on that and willing to hook us up with an informative oldrap post? (arguing about riff raff and el-p is p. boring)

I used to be big into that stuff but really grew out of it. I might throw something together later. A lot really sounds dated now, and because it was mostly about the upliftment of black folks white people didn't fetishize it as much as all the native tongues stuff (which tbh only tribe got much pub out of them) that had a more...broad appeal.

And I think it was plogo who sent me some mixes before too, so I'll see if they're still up and try to post something later.

• Locked thread